ELORAAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
I think it'd be kind of cool if Eloraam made a magic mod. This is the genre where most of the innovation is happening, I'm sure she can only increase the creativity in this area.
Eloraam doesn't seem like the type to do that to me. Magic mods tend to go for the "magic block" approach more, for example Thaumcraft with the arcane bore. RedPower provides a set of parts to build with, each with the minimum useful function - digging a block, using an item, moving groups of blocks, et cetera. A RedPower quarry is a contraption that must be designed, not a block that you slap down.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Eloraam doesn't seem like the type to do that to me. Magic mods tend to go for the "magic block" approach more, for example Thaumcraft with the arcane bore. RedPower provides a set of parts to build with, each with the minimum useful function - digging a block, using an item, moving groups of blocks, et cetera. A RedPower quarry is a contraption that must be designed, not a block that you slap down.

Blood Magic. 'Nuff said.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Eloraam doesn't seem like the type to do that to me. Magic mods tend to go for the "magic block" approach more
I've found that the exact opposite is true, whereas what you said isn't. Thermal Expansion and Applied Energistics are huge "magic block" based mods, whereas Blood Magic, Witchery, and Ars Magica 2 are certainly not. I'm not sure about Thaumcraft because I haven't used it since 1.4.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I've found that the exact opposite is true, whereas what you said isn't. Thermal Expansion and Applied Energistics are huge "magic block" based mods, whereas Blood Magic, Witchery, and Ars Magica 2 are certainly not. I'm not sure about Thaumcraft because I haven't used it since 1.4.

TC4 is 50/50 on this IIRC.

Reactions: YX33A

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
A little bit, but not as much as TE or AE

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
However, there are things those "magic blocks" are good for, and one is minimizing CPU/GPU impact. The arcane bore is an amazing tool to both use and watch, don't get me wrong, but it isn't as server-friendly as something more "magic block"-like, such as an ender quarry or digital miner...even though the latter isn't really a single block. Some folks, like King Lemming, focus more on performance over aesthetics, whereas folks like Azanor and Reika tend to go more for a certain aesthetic, be it visual or functional.

Reactions: psp

psp

Jul 29, 2019
However, there are things those "magic blocks" are good for, and one is minimizing CPU/GPU impact. The arcane bore is an amazing tool to both use and watch, don't get me wrong, but it isn't as server-friendly as something more "magic block"-like, such as an ender quarry or digital miner...even though the latter isn't really a single block. Some folks, like King Lemming, focus more on performance over aesthetics, whereas folks like Azanor and Reika tend to go more for a certain aesthetic, be it visual or functional.
The logic is taking over the forums o_O

Reactions: RavynousHunter

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
Come to think of it, I guess you're right. Maybe that's what seems stagnant about tech mods - to do X, I just plop down an X-er block and it's done; there's one reasonable solution. AE does it to storage, MFR does it for farming, countless mods do it to mining, Computercraft somewhat does it to controlling systems. They're just bland little boxes that keep all their interesting, watchable state inside, unless you take the effort to check it. RedPower's things show their state - you can glance at a tube and see what it's carrying and if it's been marked, or look at a logic gate to see what's inside, or check a battery box's charge level with no GUIs.

Reactions: Tylor and immibis

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Come to think of it, I guess you're right. Maybe that's what seems stagnant about tech mods - to do X, I just plop down an X-er block and it's done; there's one reasonable solution. AE does it to storage, MFR does it for farming, countless mods do it to mining, Computercraft somewhat does it to controlling systems. They're just bland little boxes that keep all their interesting, watchable state inside, unless you take the effort to check it. RedPower's things show their state - you can glance at a tube and see what it's carrying and if it's been marked, or look at a logic gate to see what's inside, or check a battery box's charge level with no GUIs.
That is why i like Roc, it has, some, better than other multiblock type systems or requires more infrastructure unlike some other mods *kinda*.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with all of those mods, except ComputerCraft. ComputerCraft doesn't add magic blocks, it adds a blank slate of a block. The magicalness comes from something that you have to learn and do.

Planetguy

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with all of those mods, except ComputerCraft. ComputerCraft doesn't add magic blocks, it adds a blank slate of a block. The magicalness comes from something that you have to learn and do.
I have two definitions of magic blocks - those that hide their internal states, and those that include entire blocks of functionality (sorry for the confusion). By default computers don't show what's happening inside them (except whether they're powered on), though admittedly this can be altered with peripherals.

Reactions: YX33A

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Because what crazy nonsense do you actually want?
Who knows? It's not like I could have predicted or designed half of the stuff Witchery and BM have come out with, but a lot of those ideas could have just as easily been implemented into a tech mod (a futuristic one even more so). There's always room for new inventions.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Blood Magic. 'Nuff said.

Blood magic is a magic blocks mod it only starts to introduce real "complicated" mechanic when you get to the spell crafting part.
The rest is merely putting magic blocks in the right shape and is only mildy more complicated then whacking one magic box down and only becasue there's more magic boxes to place.

However Blood magic's spell crafting mechanic is actually rather clever. The rest of it however is a build the multi-block game, heck as far as rituals go they build them selves with a divining rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.