Early AE?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
Have you ever made a 16k storage cell (or larger?) You need this to make it!

You are right about being able to start before you go to the Nether, I just wanted to correct your statement above.
you dont need 16k drives near start just make 4k ones there more then enough till you have gone to nether

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I'm bad at mining... Found only a few quartz ore...

No. They're an "uncommon". Fortune picks help, but you'll always be gated on quartz. On our server, it's the only real currency!

This is why you want to think about efficiency as you grow. ME chests are a nice cheap start and can even be folded into a bigger network, but IO Ports are much cheaper in the long run. They're just not nearly so convenient.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
TF is good for quartz look at the ravines got a stack from checking over 2 ravines with fortune pick overall i still had over 400 quartz but ran out of gold so i stopped upgradeing my system while im here with the priorities on ME stuff is higher or lower used first?

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
TF is good for quartz look at the ravines got a stack from checking over 2 ravines with fortune pick overall i still had over 400 quartz but ran out of gold so i stopped upgradeing my system while im here with the priorities on ME stuff is higher or lower used first?

Higher is selected first over equal systems.

I have never tested how it is grouped or the order they are checked.
storage bus with a filter
preformatted storage cell
storage bus/cell with some of the item already
storage bus
storage cell

If i had to guess it groups formatted/filtered together and highest priority gets the item. If neither of those is an option then a storage bus/cell that already has the item gets it. If it is looking for a new place to put it then the highest priority storage bus/cell gets the new item.

Ties go to closest one to the controller or random?

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
theres 2 types the blue crystal one that hurts you is xycraft quartz and is useless AE quartz is an ore drops a gem and a dust

Yeah, I know.

Like I said, I've been void piping ALL of my Quartz. I got about 5 stacks of a the gems and the dust and said screw it, and piped the rest.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I know.

Like I said, I've been void piping ALL of my Quartz. I got about 5 stacks of a the gems and the dust and said screw it, and piped the rest.

You're gonna slap yourself in the head when it comes time to make a Matter Assembly Container.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
You're gonna slap yourself in the head when it comes time to make a Matter Assembly Container.
Or if he decides to make 64k storage cells. At more than a stack a piece he couldn't even half-fill a drive.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I was watching DW20 spotlight on AE, and there is an idea... Those chests from AE don't seem very expensive. What about using them instead of barrels in RP-based sorting system? Just preformat some disks and hook a bunch of chests to a tube - BAM! Autosorting is done! Has anypony done something like that?
Why would anyone do that? If you are going to setup an AE system, you are better off connecting it with ME cable. The whole benefit of the AE system is that it allows you to see all of your connected inventories at once. Connecting the chests with RP tubes would take away that advantage.
I can see going without a controller early on. This way you need no [very little] power, but you're getting all of your items into the AE storage medium (storage disks). Also your Disk isn't restricted to 64 items per stack... this is a huge space saver. A preformatter doesn't need a controller or power either, so you could even organize your data-fied items a bit prior to setting up a power system and full AE network.

Back to early game power systems for AE networks...
As much as I enjoy steam power, for AE networks I prefer fire-and-forget EU. I'm a big fan of stacking up 4-8 layers of water mills, with a batbox at the center of each 4-watermill layer. When you've gone 4+ layers deep on your mills, the batboxes provide good buffer. Of course you'll want to use a lever to shut down the output of your power system when you're not using the AE network.
With a little care, you'll have plenty of buffered power for your AE inventory.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Just trying new methods in fresh ultimate world.

To power my early network + basic ore processing:
1-2 combustion engine to start
Aqueous accumulator
1 BioReactor (makes biofuel with no power draw, just not efficient unless you provide many material types). You may have to update minefactory reloaded manually to get this -- don't think it is in the pack version.

BioReactor basically takes just plastic, made from smelting rubber.
I never used combustion before, so part of the reason why I am giving this path a try. It is instant on, but that cool down time to restart is a little iffy, but should be ok for typical early game usage.

Biofuel gives about 30 minutes per bucket and you get 1.4 buckets with 9 seed/plant types in the reactor. Each 1.4 buckets only uses one of each material in the reactor and it only runs when it can output. Doing all these different farm types early is a little annoying, but 45 minutes up time whenever you want is darn good early. Just needs a little automation of several farm types to run full time. Time to make a rush up the TC tech tree for golems :p

Reactions: AlanEsh

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
And when you've reached the end game go for something completely ridiculous

*vid snip*
If you're going that far, you could have it set so it always keeps one gravity suit, vajra core, tesla staff, and full equipment for a fusion reactor AND a full spread of MPS modules (plus tinker table) on standby for you at all times, creating ALL necessary components for you on demand when you take one out. You could have it keep a CHARGED gravity suit ready for you in an ender chest really. On demand, everything and anything you want short of thaumcraft stuff...unless of course you work in thaumic bees creating aspects for you and turning them into vials, etc.

Just how many patterns does the big MAC allow anyway?

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Well I only put in 2 columns of pattern blocks (28 pages of crafting recipes) the rest are CPU blocks :)

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
Mine doesn't have a crafting system thingy yet, and is using about 120 AE units per tick to keep it going. (My base is a hole in the ground from bedrock to the surface and there's a cable now going between all those floors to various machines. More cable = more running cost!).

My system on my old world (unfortunately the computer that is on is currently sat in a corner smoking after it mildly blew up and is awaiting new parts) used around 800 AE units and was pretty much hooked up to everything in a 5 tall 21*21 monolith I had built. It was keeping coke ovens stocked storing everything from a giant tunnel bore as well as having auto crafting. I also found that it works pretty well for forestry machines such as the fermenter and will put the sapling and fertilizer in the correct slots no problem.

Yeah, and that makes me hesitant as well. I wouldn't want to accidentally break something and then lose access to my means to fix it.

So, maybe I shouldn't store EVERYTHING in there.

I normally keep things that I would need to fix a system like that in barrels with storage busses connected in a different building to my main stuff. So I can still acess the stuff from an ME terminal thanks to the storage busses but if the system goes offline for whatever reason then I can still manually access the stuff by just going to the barrels.