Dumb Tricks - Dumb/OP Mod Interactions Edition

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I thought crucibles no longer needed refilling...

they still do, they just don't use up all the water whenever you craft something through the crucible. instead of using like 1 bucket of water in the past, it now uses about 1/10th of a bucket of water per craft, unless you're mass-crafting...

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
I thought crucibles no longer needed refilling...
Nope, they just don't run out of water after every use unless you empty them with a wand, The new mechanic just drains a little water every use and maybe when it is boiling off unused essentia. Filling them every so often or pumping in water (I like to hook them up to my water endertank) also means that you don't need to wait for the water to reboil.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
You just know that modders are going through this being like "Gotta fix that... and that... and that... OH GOD I HAVE TO FIX THIS!"
Then we shall have to break things in new and interesting ways. It's most of the fun in games like minecraft or dwarf fortress for me. You are not battling the game opponents, zombies and creepers are not the enemy. They are the decorations, furniture if you will. The real enemy for me is the rules. How can I best defeat the obvious objectives/limitations. The various mob farms are a good example. I can mine for iron unceasingly or I can grab a couple of villagers and bam, golem farm(or the ungodly iron trench). I could hunt all over for redstone or brave the nether for my glowstone, but that witch's hut is right over there...

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Then we shall have to break things in new and interesting ways. It's most of the fun in games like minecraft or dwarf fortress for me. You are not battling the game opponents, zombies and creepers are not the enemy. They are the decorations, furniture if you will. The real enemy for me is the rules. How can I best defeat the obvious objectives/limitations. The various mob farms are a good example. I can mine for iron unceasingly or I can grab a couple of villagers and bam, golem farm(or the ungodly iron trench). I could hunt all over for redstone or brave the nether for my glowstone, but that witch's hut is right over there...
I was so, so happy to find the stone circles in Magic World 2 (from the Witchery mod). That witch spawner under there makes the best mob farm ever.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
I was so, so happy to find the stone circles in Magic World 2 (from the Witchery mod). That witch spawner under there makes the best mob farm ever.

I have a couple in a small spawn room above my blood altar from Blood magic, best mobs ever for manual sacrifice especially if they get hurt a bit first...mmm potions, redstone, and glowstone galore.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Then we shall have to break things in new and interesting ways. It's most of the fun in games like minecraft or dwarf fortress for me.
That was the only fun I had with console sports games. I remember playing guys in college who were top notch on he basketball court and on the team. I'd destroy them in NBA Live because I mastered stealing and dunking. I used no actual basketball plays, picks, or anything. I merely exploited game mechanics and embarrassed people. I won some good money with that more than a few times.

There's the fun path of playing it by the rules or the more fun path of bending rules to your will.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
~There's the fun path of playing it by the rules or the more fun path of bending rules to your will.
Amen, brother! I may not be proud of being a Rules Lawyer, but I still know more then some DMs I've met, and I'm not afraid to drop said knowledge now and then. In this wonderful game called "Minecraft", finding rules is possible, but hard. The rules are the game mechanics, and thus, we have to find the mechanics we can bend, and which we can break.
Mods add new mechanics, thus we find new rules we can toy with. It's fun, but it's fun on a intellectual level sometimes I just want to dick around. Sometimes the fun is just mucking about.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Toss an iron golem in a Tinkers construct smeltery, it smelts down into iron in the smeltery and at least in my version of TiCo leaves the regular drops as well so bring a vacuum hopper as well. This more than doubles the output of a iron golem farm. There's also the par-boiling method which is somewhat complicated but results in infinite iron/emeralds/glue depending on what NPC you use.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Toss an iron golem in a Tinkers construct smeltery, it smelts down into iron in the smeltery and at least in my version of TiCo leaves the regular drops as well so bring a vacuum hopper as well. This more than doubles the output of a iron golem farm. There's also the par-boiling method which is somewhat complicated but results in infinite iron/emeralds/glue depending on what NPC you use.

also found a smeltery iron duplication method. crafting 5 steel ingots using 5 iron and 20 charcoal in an induction smelter. craft a minecart with the steel, giving you 2 minecart. then smelt them down in a smeltery and get 10 iron back. repeat with crafting it into steel, steel into 2 minecarts, smelt them down and repeat as much as you want. it does cost 4 charcoal for each steel ingot, but seeing as a treefarm can keep up the demand quite well I don't see a problem with that

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
also found a smeltery iron duplication method. crafting 5 steel ingots using 5 iron and 20 charcoal in an induction smelter. craft a minecart with the steel, giving you 2 minecart. then smelt them down in a smeltery and get 10 iron back. repeat with crafting it into steel, steel into 2 minecarts, smelt them down and repeat as much as you want. it does cost 4 charcoal for each steel ingot, but seeing as a treefarm can keep up the demand quite well I don't see a problem with that
you can also dupe iron by smelting rails if you have RC installed.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
For modpacks with Tinkers Construct and Chisel:
  1. Stone can be turned into moss stone.
  2. Moss stone can be turned into moss
  3. Moss can be applied to Tinkers tools.

actually, I once suggested to lemming to add the option of turning cobblestone and water in a fluid transposer into mossy cobblestone.
last time I checked this was still possible

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
It is, but a chisel is way easier and cheaper. The recipe only requires a stick and one iron ingot, has infinite uses/no durability, requires no power to use, and can convert blocks a stack at a time.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

IIRC, Chisel durability is a config option. Most packs don't use the durability because it honestly slows down use of the mod. I remember when it was first added to RR and I was going through chisels every few stacks of blocks.

Plus there's SO many methods of getting mossy via other mods, that short disabling all of them there's no point.

*insert op tip now*

Now if you want a bunch of TC4 research points make an ender chest and tank. Get a bunch of dye and scan them over and over after changing their color slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Museli and Padfoote

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't read to see if it was posted but I found a good one lastnight I was messing with one of my bases when I put down a regen potion crystal and the villagers started regening.
Infinite emeralds: villagers + regen potion crystals + smeltery.
If you have enough of the potion crystals placed they never lose health to die in the smeltery which leaves you to pump out all the emeralds you want, it got to the point that I couldn't empty the emeralds out fast enough and I have my smeltery automated it was crazy.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't read to see if it was posted but I found a good one lastnight I was messing with one of my bases when I put down a regen potion crystal and the villagers started regening.
Infinite emeralds: villagers + regen potion crystals + smeltery.
If you have enough of the potion crystals placed they never lose health to die in the smeltery which leaves you to pump out all the emeralds you want, it got to the point that I couldn't empty the emeralds out fast enough and I have my smeltery automated it was crazy.
Are those the ones from Geostrata? I was never sure if they worked on NPCs and didn't really want to install that mod just to test it.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Are those the ones from Geostrata? I was never sure if they worked on NPCs and didn't really want to install that mod just to test it.
Yes. I don't really use it that much however I do carry around a few regen potion crystal stands for emergencies like falling in lava(which is what made me realize the villagers were not dying in the lava trap I had set while I set the smeltery up lol)