Dumb Tricks - Dumb/OP Mod Interactions Edition

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
3x3. I've used it quite a lot with Magical Crops, just not with Magical Crops and Autonomous Activators.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Don't know if I would classify it as OP but: mekanism's combiner with redstone to get redstone ore and then pulverize it to get cinnabar. It is a long drawn out process to get the guaranteed triple with bi-product, and Mek can already triple ores by itself, but it is nice for Ferrous if you don't have dartcraft and it works well with things mek doesn't triple like factorization dark iron. You need an outside source of redstone dust since the combiner takes 12 (or more?) and the pulverizer gives you 8, but then you can always build a witch farm, use bees, or make use of magic crops.

Also: nice to know that sprinklers, cans, and lilys work on Magic crops, I foresee an increase in my output in the near future.

Also also: have yet to test it in 1.6, but in 1.5 factorization routers could automate frames in apiaries.

And I think it is working as intended the infernal furnace from thaumcraft gives nuggets for dartcraft dusts/chunks and factorization chunks/whatnot. Basically anything that smelts into an ingot but cannot be made from an ingot.

And MFR again: You can make blank discs in MFR. You can then use these in an auto jukebox to copy music discs. Many of these discs have semi-rare aspects in thuamcraft. All of them including the blank disc have lucrum on it which can be used in transmutation for gold and silver. You still have to use the clunky alchemy system from thaumcraft, but it is nice to have renewable cheap lucrum.

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
Roguelike dungeons has some pretty OP spawners under it. Coupled with MFR Grinders and TiCO, you can pretty much have an unlimited amount of Gold/Iron ingots and diamond gear.

Actually, some of the skeleton spawners spawn Wither skeletons. I now have a ton of witherskulls as well. o_O

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
for those using the autonomous activator/watering can/magical crops combination... throw in the fertilized dirt from Random Things aswell. fertilized dirt also boosts the growing speed and does not require water to stay tilted for plants (well, it's not really tilted, but you can plant seeds on it like tilted dirt)

this means you can use one autonomous activator/watering can for the full 3x area without having to use water.
also, if you do this, do it in direct sunlight as it really boosts the growing speed of plants

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
The origin grass from BoP also requires no tilling to plant, although I don't know off hand if it acts like watered soil.

And I was playing around with blood magic, the sigl of the green grove does work on magic crops(and maybe pam's harvestcraft's crops) although at least for me it was displaying some oddly, showing that they were fully grown when they were not.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
at least for me it was displaying some oddly, showing that they were fully grown when they were not.

The same thing happens with vMC plants. All that's needed to fix it is a block update.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Not horribly OP, but Mimichite works differently on pulverised ores than it does on ingots. As long as your supply holds out, you can get 4x ores with a pulveriser... Very useful in early game when you're short on a particular ore type. I was using it last night to compensate for a gold shortage while building an initial TE setup in a new world.

To duplicate a gold ingot requires 4 Mimichite, but to duplicate gold dust or pulverised gold only requires 1. From what I can tell, it applies for crushed ores, purified crushed ores, ore dusts, dirt ore gravel, clean ore gravel, reduced ore chunks, and pulverised ores. For aluminum, iron, copper, and tin it doesn't matter... 1 Mimichite doubles either the ingot or the dust. For silver and lead, the ingot requires 2 Mimichite, but the dust only takes 1.

With a Factorization setup, you can lacerate, wash, slag furnace, crystallize... and then double the crystalline ore into 2 ingots at a cost of 1 Mimichite. Of course, by the time you have all that processing up and running, you should have no shortage of anything anyway.

In FTB, the recipe for creating mimichite has been drastically reduced in output... A decision with which I agree. Even so, with the exception of the ghast tear the recipe components are easily farmable (lapis, glowstone dust, gunpowder, magma cream, ghast tear = 4 mimichite). I think you can even farm the ghast tear with magical crops.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
~In FTB, the recipe for creating mimichite has been drastically reduced in output... A decision with which I agree. Even so, with the exception of the ghast tear the recipe components are easily farmable (lapis, glowstone dust, gunpowder, magma cream, ghast tear = 4 mimichite). I think you can even farm the ghast tear with magical crops.
Note to self: Consider adding Magical Crops these days. Those tears are getting hard to find. I may end up having to cut them with normal orphan tears if my supplies deplete much more.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
Note to self: Consider adding Magical Crops these days. Those tears are getting hard to find. I may end up having to cut them with normal orphan tears if my supplies deplete much more.
I haven't done much with the soul crops yet, but according to the (incomplete) Magical Crops wiki it takes four ghast tears (and about 40 of the essence ore) to get two seeds. Each crop drops 1 ghast essence and 1-2 seeds. It takes six ghast essence to make six ghast tears.

/unless FTB has reconfigured the recipes.

It does take some time to get set up with magical crops, and the crops do take time to grow... but they're an effective way of compensating for the rarity of some mob drops. The Obsidian Infused and Light Infused blocks are also very nice.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Oh no.. Duplication bug.. that escalated quickly.. You can spawn exact copy of luggage with items in it... and it will make them with items in it.. I don't even know where someone would report that since it's not really a bug, just 2 mods working as intended.

Reported it to modpack team.. but I can't see how it can be fixed without disabling something. :p
Works like a charm. I spawned myself a stack of hv-solars in about 10mins

best way to fix it is not to allow safari nets to work on luggage. not sure if the safari net has a blacklist setting.

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
Works like a charm. I spawned myself a stack of hv-solars in about 10mins

best way to fix it is not to allow safari nets to work on luggage. not sure if the safari net has a blacklist setting.

Technically it's cumulative if you pull the ball out, move the items over to the next chest.. then you can spawn stacks and stacks...

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Not really a dumb trick as such but if you have Lycanites Mobs, don't go to the deep dark without being very well armored and very well armed now that is fun :)

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
Scaffolds are OP. They burn as well as sticks, and you get 16 of them for 3 planks and 3 sticks.

Make a great fuel source for steam dynamos.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but now the ingredients are worth more
Stick = 250 ticks burning
Plank = 750 ticks burning
Scaffold = 250 ticks burning

Nothing has changed...

3x planks and 3x sticks = 3000 ticks burning
16x scaffolds = 4000 ticks burning

Still a gain here. Easy solution would be to make them not flammable at all.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Stick = 250 ticks burning
Plank = 750 ticks burning
Scaffold = 250 ticks burning

Nothing has changed...

3x planks and 3x sticks = 3000 ticks burning
16x scaffolds = 4000 ticks burning

Still a gain here. Easy solution would be to make them not flammable at all.
In the newest versions the scaffold is less burn time than the sticks and planks combined