Dumb Modular Powersuit Tricks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
-Shears (to be replaced by projectile blade launcher eventually) - longer range than normal shears (10m!)

Oh my god you made a Rolling Cutter module. Why wasn't I expecting Mega Man weapons to eventually become part of this? This is amazing.
-All items in your inventory (batteries included) should now count towards your energy & weight total - no more need to install batteries in the power tool

Uh... mind explaining this again?

By the way, the only module suggestion I can think of right now would be some kind of Aqua Affinity for when you're flying (unless the current one already does that, somehow). Why does Minecraft make you mine slower when you're flying anyway?

Jacobbelveder

Jul 29, 2019
Shears (to be replaced by projectile blade launcher eventually) - longer range than normal shears (10m!)
Sounds AWESOME, will these blades only chop the sorts of things shears chop or could they be weaponised? cos that would even more kick ass...

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
It already is my favorite mod. I haven't had so much fun with Minecraft in quite some time. Thanks, Muse. You are awesome.

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
Oh my god you made a Rolling Cutter module. Why wasn't I expecting Mega Man weapons to eventually become part of this? This is amazing.

Uh... mind explaining this again?
Ummm, basically if you have a battery in your inventory and none in your powersuit (or no suit equipped), it will drain that.

By the way, the only module suggestion I can think of right now would be some kind of Aqua Affinity for when you're flying (unless the current one already does that, somehow). Why does Minecraft make you mine slower when you're flying anyway?
Dunno, it's hard coded :p but yeah I added that last update, so when you get 1.5.1 aqua affinity will indeed apply to flying.

Sounds AWESOME, will these blades only chop the sorts of things shears chop or could they be weaponised? cos that would even more kick ass...
Right now the code says:
-if they hit a shearable block, they shear it and keep going
-if they hit a non-shearable block, they just poof
-if they hit a shearable entity, they shear it and poof
-if they hit a non-shearable entity, they do damage.

I still need to make a model for the blade and stuff, and I have a lot of other stuff on the go, so gimme a few weeks probably. :s
This is quickly becoming my favorite mod. Cheers for that.

It already is my favorite mod. I haven't had so much fun with Minecraft in quite some time. Thanks, Muse. You are awesome.
Thanks for the support :D

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Right now the code says:
-if they hit a shearable block, they shear it and keep going
-if they hit a non-shearable block, they just poof
-if they hit a shearable entity, they shear it and poof
-if they hit a non-shearable entity, they do damage.

I still need to make a model for the blade and stuff, and I have a lot of other stuff on the go, so gimme a few weeks probably. :s

Reminds me of the Portable Saw, of the Cogs of the Machine mod, except that will cut a wooden block if it hits it, then move to an other wooden block if there is one next to it and so on for a few blocks.

Tho I guess the current tree/ wood cutting module is a lot better for that. :p

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Ok, I have a request. Having each module have a secondary low power setting if someone wanted would be helpful. I don't know if it has been mentioned before, and I didn't see it mentioned on the ToDo list.
As an example, the shovel module. Set to high speed you can, occasionally, dig out way more dirt than you wanted. Being able to toggle between whatever high setting you set at the tinker table for mass digging, and then a second, much lower setting for precise work would be handy. Likewise, Sprint Assist, being able to toggle between high speed travel mode, and a mildly boosted setting when working up high where a misstep means a fall would also be handy.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Ok, I have a request. Having each module have a secondary low power setting if someone wanted would be helpful. I don't know if it has been mentioned before, and I didn't see it mentioned on the ToDo list.
As an example, the shovel module. Set to high speed you can, occasionally, dig out way more dirt than you wanted. Being able to toggle between whatever high setting you set at the tinker table for mass digging, and then a second, much lower setting for precise work would be handy. Likewise, Sprint Assist, being able to toggle between high speed travel mode, and a mildly boosted setting when working up high where a misstep means a fall would also be handy.
I agree, that would be handy.

However, as to the sprint thing... ever heard of sneaking? I would imagine so... but with massively-boosted walking speed (such as NEI'd Haste 10 Boots of the Traveller), I find sneaking can be very helpful in places where in vanilla or without epic shoes of epicness, I wouldn't.
Also, parachutes and gliders. And jetpacks, if you can afford them. But I agree, binding hotkeys to tinker settings, not just modules, would be useful.

Also, I don't recall anyone posting numbers relating to speed of a well-upgraded powersuit. So I'll post mine.
All modules are assumed to be maxed out.
Two elite batteries, kinetic generator, solar panel, jetpack, jetboots, sprint assist (maxed sprint, walking assist, and compensation), jump assist, and flight control. I think those are all the ones that add to speed in any way...
I found that I was able to fly 1 km (1000 meters) in about 13 seconds, which is about 77 meters per second.
Moreover, while also running night vision, transparent armor, and active camouflage, the amount of power in the suit actually increased over time. Not quickly, but that still counts as perpetual motion in my book. Not that that matters much, due to Minecraft...

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a fan of on-the-fly tinker settings for a few reasons. I made an alternate proposal here:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...-do-you-configure-it.16195/page-3#post-194096
the amount of power in the suit actually increased over time. Not quickly, but that still counts as perpetual motion in my book. Not that that matters much, due to Minecraft...
Yeah it's not supposed to do that and it won't in the future.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I'm not a fan of on-the-fly tinker settings for a few reasons. I made an alternate proposal here:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...-do-you-configure-it.16195/page-3#post-194096
Hrmm... You've provided a solution to accidentally breaking too many blocks with a rightclick silktough Vajra laser thing (which, incidentally, adds a few other requests as well), which I rather like. But the other thing that Iskandar pointed out (taking too many steps at once, and going over cliffs) still is not well solved, to my knowledge. Sure, sneaking works, but if I want to hop down one meter onto a block without falling off that block (for whatever reason), I still have a problem. Hmm... Perhaps have the step assist module also modify the amount you're able to step down while sneaking. It really is annoying to be sneaking (for more precise movements), and suddenly find yourself a meter above where you were a second ago, without being able to step back down without releasing sneak and finding yourself in a rather imprecise spot.

In short: with Step Assist, you would be able to sneak right up AND DOWN hills and meter-high "stairs".

Yeah it's not supposed to do that and it won't in the future.
Aww. But I should've seen that coming.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Ah well, balance and all that. I actually suspected as much, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I saw that suggestion, and didn't think about that. It works, too. Thanks for replying so quickly.

Oh, another couple of notes. I noticed that Bibliocraft's armor stands don't work with your power armor, it doesn't display. Is that an issue with this mod, or Bibliocraft itself?

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
Bibliocraft: It's an issue with how Minecraft handles tinted armour basically. It won't be better until the model update for Forge or Bibliocraft adds special rendering (which could be a lot of work I think).

For the step assist issue: I don't personally like the behaviour much either, but it was literally two lines of code. That's why I set it to be toggleable rather than 'always on' like Thaumcraft's boots. Anything more complex is going to be significantly more in-depth than what's there right now.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Ok, playing around in my test world, and just got the rail gun. That is a very fun toy. Done right, not only a fine offensive weapon, but also a unique way to get around. Just make sure you have some protection against fall damage. I just spent an hour in the Nether just bouncing all over the place, sniping ghasts, murderizing zombie pigmen. Let me repeat and amplify, this is the best mod ever.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
My way of flying on the "cheap" is fall protection, a railgun, and a glider. Speed boost module for when working with smaller distances, but that's not often, I now spend at least half my time hunting dungeons.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Ok, I apologize, again, if this has been mentioned somewhere, but is there a way to "lock" your power tool into a mode? Or a way to change that keybind? A lot of the time I'll try to scrollwheel through my hotbar and accidentally change the power tool setting.

noobbyte

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I apologize, again, if this has been mentioned somewhere, but is there a way to "lock" your power tool into a mode? Or a way to change that keybind? A lot of the time I'll try to scrollwheel through my hotbar and accidentally change the power tool setting.
that was one of the features in 1.5.1 - muse posted a changelog a page or so ago

Reactions: Iskandar

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
I've just discovered that you can enchant the power tool. I've got effy 5 on it but is there any way to put other enchants on it as well? It doesn't seem to take anything else. I tried renaming it and let me put looting 3 on it (the anvil made the right noises) but it didn't actually apply it to the tool and the book simply disappeared. Am I doing something wrong? I should add that I'm using DW20 5.2.1 pack, whatever version of MPS that has in it.