Greylist Server DOGS OF THE STATE: OUTPOSTS [FeedTheBeast - MindCrack v8] [1.4.7] [Mature] [Military Minded]

• This section is now closed. Server owners can remake their threads in the new server section here. If you are looking for a server you can use both this section and the new section for the time being.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomitatum

Jul 29, 2019
SCIENCE GONE BAD

What have we done?!?!
  • Yanked ComputerCraft and Perifphials
  • Killed ALL portals.
  • Severely limited all world anchors and chunkloaders.
  • Looked at our processes through putty.
  • Set the server to use our FULL memory allotment and not have an, adaptive, memory allowance.
  • Factorization == Gone.
PuttyTopProcesses.jpg

We are going to start yanking mods one at a time till we find the culprit. Tonight is a night of SCIENCE! Fear not, we have a backup. What you do this night will not be sticking.

Incomitatum

Jul 29, 2019
SCIENCE UPDATE!

Our recent hypothesis has been a success! With FACTORIZATION gone we are at a stable 23% [memory usage].

This makes sense as nearly every veteran player has a modular sorting system: a horrible matrix of barrels.

We are going to roll back to our update, and shut of JUST the barrels in Factorization to test this further.

Sir_Squ

Jul 29, 2019
So if I am reading this right:
It the barrel sorting system that is to blame for all our woe?

Rake

Jul 29, 2019
So if I am reading this right:
It the barrel sorting system that is to blame for all our woe?

I don't think it's a particular mod that's the problem. There's plenty of servers running the mods we have and more with little issue. I'm hesitant to start yanking mods just because it seems better right now. Barrels are a static inventory as far as I know, and really shouldn't be causing a problem. Portals make some sense because they keep an area loaded, and teleportation has never been Minecraft's strong suit. I'd be fine with losing that mod, but to keep pulling mods chasing what likely is an unrelated issue only lessens the experience we're getting in FTB. I do understand we're just testing right now, but I have to put it out there. I'm no server expert, of course, but you would think a search would turn up others having issues with these particular mods.

DocHuzz

Jul 29, 2019
A search will turn just that up Rake. There are problems with Portals, with some barrels, and some problems with computercraft.
The biggest problem we have is Players X, Y, Z all have three rotary macerators, two quarries, a barrel sorting system, a world anchor, and about fifteen other machines running 24/7. We may be hitting the server wall. Looking at other servers, they are running TWELVE or MORE gigs of ram. We just can't pull those numbers. The experience has to be dulled in light of what we can handle man. If we need to pull factorization, drop quarries, and wipe the map to get the server stable, then that's what we've gotta do. Remember, the game is a game, it's the community we come for :).

Incomitatum

Jul 29, 2019
State of the Server
  • So, yanking Factorization DID have a positive effect, barrels and wrath-lamps gone made things SOME better. But this was just a test, we are not going to let that be a permanent thing on the server.
  • The control group for every test was MiC and Dark's. They had wanted to move and I think I will give them my blessing, but they have to stay within an area BEFORE 1000 from the mage tower. This will fix little though as just BEING near their land causes the memory to spike up an extra 20%. When they make their next build it will have to be with 50% less crazy, german, engineering. I think they have just too many things/machines running. I would yank IC2, and all the mod that hook into it, but that does no good. Take out IC2 and/or Buildcraft and we may as well go back to vanilla. Which isn't happening.
    • When they move I'll reset their plots in MCedit.
  • Thanks to a donation from MickRedBeard we are able to try out the Enderman level of hosting this will double our ram. I still look forward to the next update as maybe the mod that is the problem will be fixed.
  • Please limit your builds to as FEW, of one kind of machine, as you can.
  • The Modular Forcefeild system is gone untill they make it so that it doesn't effect OPs.
  • Faesyn has been very helpful and personable during all this, and I like conversing with him, I am going to make him a Player. Probie no longer.
  • Ronagen is also no longer a Probie, but now a Player.
  • FOR NOW, with the new Enderman status on the server we are sitting a 51%. We would have crashed by now. IT seems to be holding steady. Hug MickRedBeard next time you see him.
  • Soon, we will make the transition from Vent to Teamspeak.
  • Taking his temperature, and seeing he has no moral/emotional conflict of interest, DocHussey has been granted the position of Moderator. His assistance tonight has been invaluable.
  • DUE TO SERVER LIMITATIONS, we are not accepting any new players for a time. We need to get to know the probies we have taken on in the past two weeks and see if all of them are worth keeping.
  • With the properties of MiC and Dark reset will will be expanding the town. We will need to finish the Apartments and plan new areas that are dedicated to public machinery: so that fewer machines need to be built at each plot.

Reactions: jvonbon

Incomitatum

Jul 29, 2019
State of the Vent Server Address.

The Vent server is dead, long live Teamspeak.

I used Teamspeak back in version 1. It was a pile of trash. Over a decade later, it's working pretty great! I have had the vent server since 2008 and it was time to put it out to pasture.

From now on, I will be letting any probie have the Info.They will be relegated to their own room untill they are a player. In this way we will have an easier time of getting to know them. I won't be giving the address out to noobs; but we will share the address once someone hits Player status.

I'll also be posting the link at the DOTS G+ Community: [ http://goo.gl/elPD4 ]

Reactions: jvonbon

Incomitatum

Jul 29, 2019
Creeperhost said:
I might have found your issues:
'-- Affected level --
Details:
Level name: Christmas2012
All players: 2 total; [iq['DocHussey'/725, l='Christmas2012', x=-103.50, y=200.50, z=-350.50], iq['Faesyn'/1719, l='Christmas2012', x=-22.52, y=86.39, z=273.89]]
Chunk stats: ServerChunkCache: 1855 Drop: 0
Level seed: 34019807
Level generator: ID 00 - default, ver 1. Features enabled: true
Level generator options:
Level spawn location: World: (352,64,293), Chunk: (at 0,4,5 in 22,18; contains blocks 352,0,288 to 367,255,303), Region: (0,0; contains chunks 0,0 to 31,31, blocks 0,0,0 to 511,255,511)

DocHuzz

Jul 29, 2019
Alllllrighty then. It's never a pleasant thing to see MY name in an error log, especially one that spews some form of ancient Summariian at me without any real details. So, looking into WHERE we were, I discovered that I was currently floating above Dark and M!C's storehouse, and Faesyn was over near his plot. I'm not seeing anything specific in this "Problem" they found, and given my current Y coordinate, I was popping over there to check on something we had switched off at some point last night. I'd be interested to see/hear what they think the problem was...

jvonbon

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing the "problem" is the size of the serverchunkcache. I'm not sure what a normal value is but I do know the higher that number goes the greater tick lag the server will get.[DOUBLEPOST=1360937647][/DOUBLEPOST]Either that or Doc is the problem ;)

Sir_Squ

Jul 29, 2019
I dont know if this is practical or not but could it be that the Mindcrack pack is just RAM intensive and that we might have more luck with a Direwolf version. Just a thought

Morvelaira

Jul 29, 2019
Incomitatum contacted me last night, asking if I knew any guff that might be linked to the issues you guys are having. I was not able to be helpful at that time - being actively broadcasting sapped a good amount of brain power. However, I have recalled some useful information.

Looking at what you have tried so far, I would look less at placing the blame on Factorization, and more at placing the blame on Red Power, particularly on tube networks with multiple relays. I do not know if you folks have sorting machines like this, but I know the combination between tube networks like this and Factorization nearly crippled Forgecraft at one point. Avoiding relays has become so second nature to me now that it did not even occur to me to suggest last night.

Eitherway, I'm not definitively saying this is your issue, but it's not a bad direction to do some science in and see what happens.

jvonbon

Jul 29, 2019
Incomitatum contacted me last night, asking if I knew any guff that might be linked to the issues you guys are having. I was not able to be helpful at that time - being actively broadcasting sapped a good amount of brain power. However, I have recalled some useful information.

Looking at what you have tried so far, I would look less at placing the blame on Factorization, and more at placing the blame on Red Power, particularly on tube networks with multiple relays. I do not know if you folks have sorting machines like this, but I know the combination between tube networks like this and Factorization nearly crippled Forgecraft at one point. Avoiding relays has become so second nature to me now that it did not even occur to me to suggest last night.

Eitherway, I'm not definitively saying this is your issue, but it's not a bad direction to do some science in and see what happens.

I have since turned up similar results. The way the tubes act with calculating the best possible inventory for each object (item/stack) it sends over the tube network multiplied by many possible inventories presented by a huge array of barrels MAY be problematic. I would be curious to see if a buildcraft pipes network set up the same way would change anything, other than the fact buildcraft pipes seem indiscriminant (fire and forget) at times when it comes to valid inventories.

jvonbon

Jul 29, 2019
As an alternative experiment. Take those massive barrel sorters. Replace the barrels with an array of RP filters and chests and see what that does.

EDIT: That will discriminate between RP and Factorization.

Status
Not open for further replies.