Crash Landing, help, venting and discussion!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019
Massive Vent time.

Just lost my entire world. Died, go to reload my sync. Fails to load. Then tells me game over, no more lives (still had my 2 HQM lifes). Deletes save. Even though the hardcore mod had been turned off. There's no way in hell I'm starting all over again.

Why on earth was the map designed on hardcore mode when it wasn't supposed to be used?

Edit: gah, seems I used wrong /hqm command, so totally screwed the sync process. Bugger. Mutters to self about installing AromaBackup so you don't loose everything.
I hear even Aroma fails on occasion......:eek:

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I've yet to experience this Aroma failure...and my backups are scheduled for every 5 minutes. ;) One thing I have noticed when restoring from a backup is that randomly an item will disappear from inventory [mostly it's the heart canister but I've lost a watering can too].

It's quite easy early game to get boned by RNG where your death is all but guaranteed [small spiders / brutish babies on crack / etc.] Can't really fight them in groups and can't outrun them. So backups or '/cofh killall' is all you can do until you get a shell built [late early game IMO]. I'm at day 55 and still not ready for shell construction, tho I can say it's a matter of priorities.

Without RNG-boning, it's very possible to survive if you play ultra-conservatively. This means walls [spider-proof as soon as able], paying attention to minimap when spawns outside tower are occurring, and no combat unless it's on your terms. And no city until you're well established.:(

Speaking of spider-proof...I'm getting tired of them getting stuck under the overhang. I put some punji spikes hoping to kill them off and noticed mobs take no damage from the bottom of a punji spike! :mad: Are Invar spikes my only other option then? Setup is usual: 4-high wall, one block overhang [leaves]. Spikes under leaves at 2-block intervals.

And another thing...whose idea was it to make sieves flammable?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I used a trick of a cobblestone wall with a FMP pillar running along the top. Stops the spiders getting in, and you are able to still attack through the gap between wall and pillar. Makes it easy to smack those spiders down, although you have to be careful of archers, they can also shoot through that gap.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I used a trick of a cobblestone wall with a FMP pillar running along the top. Stops the spiders getting in, and you are able to still attack through the gap between wall and pillar. Makes it easy to smack those spiders down, although you have to be careful of archers, they can also shoot through that gap.

FMP Pillar? You mean Microblocks?

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
I've yet to experience this Aroma failure...and my backups are scheduled for every 5 minutes. ;) One thing I have noticed when restoring from a backup is that randomly an item will disappear from inventory [mostly it's the heart canister but I've lost a watering can too].

It's quite easy early game to get boned by RNG where your death is all but guaranteed [small spiders / brutish babies on crack / etc.] Can't really fight them in groups and can't outrun them. So backups or '/cofh killall' is all you can do until you get a shell built [late early game IMO]. I'm at day 55 and still not ready for shell construction, tho I can say it's a matter of priorities.
I've had sync do some weird stuff. Not sending me back to my shell and ending the game; Sync re-animating me at my death site, in a city. I just don't trust it. So regular backups it is.

Reactions: Bagman817

Teebor

Jul 29, 2019
I've had sync do some weird stuff. Not sending me back to my shell and ending the game; Sync re-animating me at my death site, in a city. I just don't trust it. So regular backups it is.

Chunk loaders takes care of this.

I had to MCEdit my game when I was dropped in to the ground after a death one time :(

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Boy oh boy...Why will my Mob Tower not reach mobcap? I'm using this design, with the first spawn level 22 blocks above the killzone floor. I've even added another level, and still not reaching mobcap during night when the trap is running [mobs being killed]. I've asked the vid author and her replies haven't been very helpful. Any idea why this is so inefficient?

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Boy oh boy...Why will my Mob Tower not reach mobcap? I'm using this design, with the first spawn level 22 blocks above the killzone floor. I've even added another level, and still not reaching mobcap during night when the trap is running [mobs being killed]. I've asked the vid author and her replies haven't been very helpful. Any idea why this is so inefficient?
the outside plains is lit up?

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
the outside plains is lit up?
My base, but not outside the walls. I thought the idea [vid author implies this] was that since the darkroom is always at/near mobcap, no more space for spawns outside darkroom. After awhile, it works this way...given that I don't kill anything from the tower at night [but that's not very useful]. I'm going with my go-to [iron intensive] build...just curious if anyone knows why this build fails me but works for vid author?

schpeelah

Jul 29, 2019
My base, but not outside the walls. I thought the idea [vid author implies this] was that since the darkroom is always at/near mobcap, no more space for spawns outside darkroom. After awhile, it works this way...given that I don't kill anything from the tower at night [but that's not very useful]. I'm going with my go-to [iron intensive] build...just curious if anyone knows why this build fails me but works for vid author?
Because that one was built in skyblock so there is no spawnable terrain outside the spawner at night. You need to light up the desert withing 120 blocks of your walls.

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019

Did you remove all the lighting in the tower before leaving? Maybe a trapdoor is missing somewhere?

Or maybe you're playing with different settings? Like ZA setting levels - currently with the pack as is the mobs don't exactly get really enthusiastic about coming to you. Maybe they're doing the same thing inside there now? And looking at the design, a lot of it seems to depend on the mobs willingness to move along by themselves. So maybe they are getting themselves stuck inside there?

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Because that one was built in skyblock so there is no spawnable terrain outside the spawner at night. You need to light up the desert withing 120 blocks of your walls.

Vid author borrowed the original design from PurpleMentat, where it was built in AgS. Vid author is playing CL, not a skyblock. I'll work on lighting, as my current design does not stay at cap either. Still does not explain how this works for her, but not me :(

Did you remove all the lighting in the tower before leaving? Maybe a trapdoor is missing somewhere?

Or maybe you're playing with different settings? Like ZA setting levels - currently with the pack as is the mobs don't exactly get really enthusiastic about coming to you. Maybe they're doing the same thing inside there now? And looking at the design, a lot of it seems to depend on the mobs willingness to move along by themselves. So maybe they are getting themselves stuck inside there?
Pitch black inside when I closed it up. All traps in open position. ZA settings are whatever the packed shipped with. I read somewhere about traps being susceptible to some kind of lighting bug [capturing daylight?]. I tried to avoid this by having the roof on before I placed any trap doors.

I honestly don't know what to make of it. Her build works great. My copy works like crap.

schpeelah

Jul 29, 2019
Vid author borrowed the original design from PurpleMentat, where it was built in AgS. Vid author is playing CL, not a skyblock. I'll work on lighting, as my current design does not stay at cap either. Still does not explain how this works for her, but not me :(
The surface area of the trap is tiny compared to the spawnable surface of the desert. If you are not at cap, the new mob will spawn outside, not in the trap.

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019

Pitch black inside when I closed it up. All traps in open position. ZA settings are whatever the packed shipped with. I read somewhere about traps being susceptible to some kind of lighting bug [capturing daylight?]. I tried to avoid this by having the roof on before I placed any trap doors.

I honestly don't know what to make of it. Her build works great. My copy works like crap.

Yes, but hers (the video) was done around 8/22 (maybe even before but that's the date of the video I think) maybe ZA was still really in the active state back then? Can't remember when the current 2.1 version came up but when it did the morning clean-up of your defense pits show a decided difference from version 2 to 2.1. So maybe that also contributes to the difference in your towers - hers are coming hither and yours are on strike somewhere?

Reactions: SmokeLuvr1971

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but hers (the video) was done around 8/22 (maybe even before but that's the date of the video I think) maybe ZA was still really in the active state back then? Can't remember when the current 2.1 version came up but when it did the morning clean-up of your defense pits show a decided difference from version 2 to 2.1. So maybe that also contributes to the difference in your towers - hers are coming hither and yours are on strike somewhere?

Ahh...I didn't know about that...at least it explains something. Tks 4 the info.

MiniMoggie

Jul 29, 2019
Has anybody else had a problem where upon death you go back to your clone but instead of stepping out of the sync constructor you find yourself buried in the ground. The first time this happened it resulted in my world being deleted so to avoid this again I installed aroma backup. I refuse to loose my game to a glitch. My last two deaths it did it again and I spawned 11 blocks under the sync constructor but fortunately this time I had dug out underneath the ship for something I'm planning on building so I only just stuck 1 block into the ground.