Concept Map: Golem Sorting System (need advice)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Futalis

Jul 29, 2019
I am curious as to if anyone has built a sorting system primarily using golems at this point...looking for tips and tricks for the most efficient set up golem wise as well as user friendly.

So far I've done a couple designs for possible implementation (I'll probably post pictures if I can't find anyone else who has done it)..

Conceptually I want something that is spread out into rooms of ~36 chests, each room devoted to one of the minecrack mods. I'm thinking having an entry room with the starting chest guarded by a wooden golem (just in case I want to throw stuff at my system). Then having fast stone golems carry any goods dropped off in that starting room to the next chest. After that I was thinking about using advanced stone golems to carry mod specific goods into two side rooms where ~36 chests are staggered in a way such that clay golems can be stationed at each one. These clay golems all target the center chest where the advanced stone golems are dropping stuff off, and pull a specific item or item subset into their chest.

So far this method means almost no need for marker blocks (mainly just a couple for the stone golems and for the clay golems). The current downside I'm seeing is the need for an inordinant amount of golems to handle the massive number of blocks in this game (I'm not planning on sorting every single item into a seperate chest, but still that's a lot of golems).

I also forsee an issue that I'm not quite sure how I'm going to handle...see the first part where stuff is pulled to two side rooms, I left the third way open so that I can send anything that isn't pulled to those side rooms further down to start another chain of side rooms and so on and so forth. The problem I see with this though is that the golems might pull stuff they shouldn't, unless I can tell them NOT to pull a specific set of items and pull all the rest...

Thoughts?

Also: after testing, golems only recognize the first stack in a barrel and as such will only fill a barrel to one stack. Which means that I'll probably be implementing an overflow chest that'll use RP to carry contents and sort them into barrels ...bummer...

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I used to have a good dozen golems fetching stuff from my quarry-enderchest and had them keep my macerators/furnaces busy. Sure worked quite well - but it caused quite some lag (not unplayable, but definitely noticable) for me, too. This might be machine-dependant, maybe my pc is just too old to handle golems in those numbers. =)

Futalis

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm...well I run a server and we are trying to make a hub at spawn. The problem we've recently noticed was that certain machine blocks/item blocks would cause a massive amount of FPS drop at spawn. I tested it out on SSP and just placing a couple of relays dropped my FPS from 120 to 80. It was rather odd. I'm currently really in the mood to do something novel. On SSP I was testing it out and having ~50 golems running around didn't bring my FPS down at all. So I'm rather curious as to what the real cause of the strain is.

I suspect that machine blocks in general cause a lot of FPS issues. We are currently trying to spread things out a bit to see if that'll alleviate the issue.

I don't imagine I'll be using golems for a processing room. Just filters, but I'll have to do some more testing.

Have you tried fast vs strong golems? I'm rather curious as to their situational benefits...

Lakart

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm...well I run a server and we are trying to make a hub at spawn. The problem we've recently noticed was that certain machine blocks/item blocks would cause a massive amount of FPS drop at spawn. I tested it out on SSP and just placing a couple of relays dropped my FPS from 120 to 80. It was rather odd. I'm currently really in the mood to do something novel. On SSP I was testing it out and having ~50 golems running around didn't bring my FPS down at all. So I'm rather curious as to what the real cause of the strain is.

I suspect that machine blocks in general cause a lot of FPS issues. We are currently trying to spread things out a bit to see if that'll alleviate the issue.

I don't imagine I'll be using golems for a processing room. Just filters, but I'll have to do some more testing.

Have you tried fast vs strong golems? I'm rather curious as to their situational benefits...
If you had rotary macerators and induction furnaces it was probably those. They throw about 11-12 errors per second per machine.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Relays also seem to cause a lot of lag.
They spit items out very fast, suspect the internal delay on them is too short. they should probably only output ever 10 or so ticks.

I believe it is a known issue, but no rp2 forum / communication path to eloram other than the forge craft players.

Futalis

Jul 29, 2019
If you had rotary macerators and induction furnaces it was probably those. They throw about 11-12 errors per second per machine.

I believe one of my base-mates has all the gregtech toys going on in his processing room. He's planning on dismantling it and spreading it out. Right now our FPS drops from 120 to 10-20 when near the room.

Induction furnaces from thermal expansion? Would never have suspected that. Thermal expansion has been a great mod for me so far.

Relays also seem to cause a lot of lag.
They spit items out very fast, suspect the internal delay on them is too short. they should probably only output ever 10 or so ticks.

I believe it is a known issue, but no rp2 forum / communication path to eloram other than the forge craft players.

Relays are currently the most convenient method for me to go from BC pipes to pneumatic tubes (I much prefer the how pneumatic tubes work to BC pipes). May have to figure something else out. I remember in the old days how much lag BC pipes would cause a server if you made a mistake with them or caused massive amounts of stuff to spew everywhere. XD

Shame there is no way to communicate to eloraam about that.

Lakart

Jul 29, 2019
I believe one of my base-mates has all the gregtech toys going on in his processing room. He's planning on dismantling it and spreading it out. Right now our FPS drops from 120 to 10-20 when near the room.

Induction furnaces from thermal expansion? Would never have suspected that. Thermal expansion has been a great mod for me so far.
Induction Furnaces are the furnaces from IC2 that you apply a redstone current to(similar to rotary macerators) and they gain heat over time, smelting faster.

Futalis

Jul 29, 2019
Induction Furnaces are the furnaces from IC2 that you apply a redstone current to(similar to rotary macerators) and they gain heat over time, smelting faster.

My bad haha. Yea we don't have those, we do have the industrial equivalents though.

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the advanced golems will allow you to have one golem that can process six different things, so if you're going with large chests you will use less golems.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
I am curious as to if anyone has built a sorting system primarily using golems at this point...looking for tips and tricks for the most efficient set up golem wise as well as user friendly.

So far I've done a couple designs for possible implementation (I'll probably post pictures if I can't find anyone else who has done it)..

Conceptually I want something that is spread out into rooms of ~36 chests, each room devoted to one of the minecrack mods. I'm thinking having an entry room with the starting chest guarded by a wooden golem (just in case I want to throw stuff at my system). Then having fast stone golems carry any goods dropped off in that starting room to the next chest. After that I was thinking about using advanced stone golems to carry mod specific goods into two side rooms where ~36 chests are staggered in a way such that clay golems can be stationed at each one. These clay golems all target the center chest where the advanced stone golems are dropping stuff off, and pull a specific item or item subset into their chest.

So far this method means almost no need for marker blocks (mainly just a couple for the stone golems and for the clay golems). The current downside I'm seeing is the need for an inordinant amount of golems to handle the massive number of blocks in this game (I'm not planning on sorting every single item into a seperate chest, but still that's a lot of golems).

I also forsee an issue that I'm not quite sure how I'm going to handle...see the first part where stuff is pulled to two side rooms, I left the third way open so that I can send anything that isn't pulled to those side rooms further down to start another chain of side rooms and so on and so forth. The problem I see with this though is that the golems might pull stuff they shouldn't, unless I can tell them NOT to pull a specific set of items and pull all the rest...

Thoughts?

Also: after testing, golems only recognize the first stack in a barrel and as such will only fill a barrel to one stack. Which means that I'll probably be implementing an overflow chest that'll use RP to carry contents and sort them into barrels ...bummer...
On the barrel issue did you try assigning to different sides ? The top is probably the only side that exposes the full inventory space.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
On the barrel issue did you try assigning to different sides ? The top is probably the only side that exposes the full inventory space.

As a golem user at times myself this is ture.

In you want to tag the golem to the top. Out you want to tag the golem to the bottom.

They also have to be able to get to these points while working so you cant stack stuff while using the golems in this way.