COFH World Generation User's Manual

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just a quick note for your guide, might be worth adding to use a more advanced file editor than notepad/wordpad. Once these json files get large the chance of error increases. I've just had to download notepad ++ and with it's handy language formatting system, allows me to ensure every ore definition is correct.

Reactions: unknown zombie

InfinityRaider

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick note for your guide, might be worth adding to use a more advanced file editor than notepad/wordpad. Once these json files get large the chance of error increases. I've just had to download notepad ++ and with it's handy language formatting system, allows me to ensure every ore definition is correct.
Notepad++ is indeed a must have

Goshen

Jul 29, 2019
How do I disable COFH ores completely so Gregtech can handle ore spawns?

Edit: I would still like an answer, but for the future, to anyone reading this, if you are using cauldron, change this to false in your cauldron.yml

worldgen-CoFHCore-WorldHandler: false

No flat bedrock, but also no forced ore handling.

Last edited:

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
How do I disable COFH ores completely so Gregtech can handle ore spawns?

Edit: I would still like an answer, but for the future, to anyone reading this, if you are using cauldron, change this to false in your cauldron.yml

worldgen-CoFHCore-WorldHandler: false

No flat bedrock, but also no forced ore handling.
I don't think there's a specific config option to turn it off, you should just be able to delete everything out of ThermalExpansion-Ores.json to turn off generation. Don't delete the file, because it will regenerate.. Just delete all the text inside it and save it.

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
I'm going to be honest here and say that the Chunk loading problem that was plaguing 1.7.10 was really killing my drive to play the game and my will to work on this guide. But FastCraft has completely eradicated the whole issue and I am excited to be working on my new modpack again. That being said, I should be able to resume working on the rest of this guide this weekend.

The constant cycle of editing a config, making a new world, and then quarrying a chunk out was a tremendous hassle before. I would have to start Minecraft and basically alt-tab to some other program for a solid 10 minutes. Minecraft would just sit there frozen solid and fill my log up with chunk ticking errors.

But anyway, I think I should be able to push out a finished version in my time off this weekend. I've tried to pluck away at it while I'm at work by typing some on my phone, but that is really cumbersome; a bluetooth keyboard would make it much more accessible.

Reactions: Golrith

trab

Jul 29, 2019
You guys are making my prediction come true. The dawn of config packs. With the ease of compiling your own modpacks, config packs will be truly more important for those playing outside of what launchers provide.

You should have seen the insane configuration that I did for a 1.5.2 pack.

Disabled the crappier BoP biomes
Assigned each biome to a group

1) Using excel, mapped those those biome groups to individual lines in project zulu's mob config, this generated like a 600 line config file.
2) Totally reformatted battle towers files into something that made far mor sense, I called up a name and excel put in the right id from NEI dumps.
I changed levels for each battle tower level.
3) Remapped the ruins mod to all the BoP biomes following the biome groups.
4) At least biome mappings for another mod I can't remember.

Plus reconfiguring the ores and making changes to every config file in some way.

Took me like 3 weeks + alcohol + 7 excel files (including vba)

Ultimately reconfiguring your modpack is just as important as the mods you select.

Last edited:

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
I am happy with the progress on the guide I've been writing, and I think it's at a point now where it provides enough knowledge that someone could create a completely custom ore generation by using it. I have added it to the main post, and provided a link to the Google Document version of it there as well.

Please let me know if you see errors or think a section needs improvement!

I will be working on the formatting of the post, because some of it was lost during the copy/paste process.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Be aware that CoFH oregen can't control the amount of clay... I tried recently and confirmed on IRC it only controls stone replacement with ores.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I wouldn't expect it to be able to control clay, as that's got special spawning rules. Although you can spawn more clay. But, to clarify, you can replace any block with any other block, not just stone. But, since those other blocks (like gravel) are a small % of a chunk, the chance of the "ore gen" is also just as low.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Given the desire to tweak clay generation, I couldn't find that documented anywhere.

Here's a tip: WorldEdit can give you the block distribution in a region using the '//distr' command. While testing oregen I would start a new world, select my current chunk '//chunk', expand the selection to a fixed size '//outset 128', and then view the distribution until I was satisfied. For a more visual indication of density I also removed anything not ore using WorldEdit leaving behind ore just floating everywhere for evaluation.

Reactions: Wolfie_Waffle

boni

Jul 29, 2019
Just as a heads up for people currently working with the biome black/whitelists: In the current release of CofH Core (3.0.0B3-26) biomes are broken. But it'll be fixed in the next version.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just as a heads up for people currently working with the biome black/whitelists: In the current release of CofH Core (3.0.0B3-26) biomes are broken. But it'll be fixed in the next version.
Nice heads up. Don't use the biome filter myself, that's an excessive level of control, and makes resources way to open to RNG, especially when adding in Biome Mods.

Reactions: unknown zombie

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
you should change the thermal expansion section in the internal ore name spreadsheet to thermal foundation. just sayin. ;)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just a headups, but the file format has changed slightly in latest version:

example from my setup:
Code:
    "coal": {
        "template": "uniform",
        "block": [
            {
                "name": "coal_ore",
                "metadata": 0,
                "weight": 930
            },
            {
                "name": "CusomItems:poor_coal_ore",
                "weight": 9000
            },
            {
                "name": "CustomItems:dense_coal_ore",
                "weight": 50
            },
            {
                "name": "minecraft:stone",
                "weight": 1000
            },
            {
                "name": "minecraft:monster_egg",
                "weight": 20
            }
        ],
        "material": "stone",
        "clusterSize": 37,
        "numClusters": 20,
        "minHeight": 42,
        "maxHeight": 86,
        "retrogen": "true",
        "biomeRestriction": "none",
        "biomes": [],
        "dimensionRestriction": "blacklist",
        "dimensions": [
        ]
    },
Basically the meta/weight is defined with the block name, instead of seperate elements. Makes it a bit easier to manage/read. Good news is that the CoFH team gets the code to re-write the files in the new layout structure for you.

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
Just a headups, but the file format has changed slightly in latest version:

example from my setup:
Code:
    "coal": {
        "template": "uniform",
        "block": [
            {
                "name": "coal_ore",
                "weight": 930
            },
            {
                "name": "CusomItems:poor_coal_ore",
                "weight": 9000
            },
            {
                "name": "CustomItems:dense_coal_ore",
                "weight": 50
            },
            {
                "name": "minecraft:stone",
                "weight": 1000
            },
            {
                "name": "minecraft:monster_egg",
                "weight": 20
            }
        ],
        "material": "stone",
        "clusterSize": 37,
        "numClusters": 20,
        "minHeight": 42,
        "maxHeight": 86,
        "retrogen": "true",
        "biomeRestriction": "none",
        "biomes": [],
        "dimensionRestriction": "blacklist",
        "dimensions": [
        ]
    },
Basically the meta/weight is defined with the block name, instead of seperate elements. Makes it a bit easier to manage/read. Good news is that the CoFH team gets the code to re-write the files in the new layout structure for you.
Good to know, I haven't looked at my files in a while. I'll update the guide this weekend.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Does anyone know of a tool that can help me debug these json files? Getting zero ore gen now, so there's an error somewhere (most likely a single missing comma among 2000 lines of text). It was so much easier to build complex generation when using the old tab delimited text file.

Edit - nvm, found this http://jsonlint.com/ that helped big time.

Last edited:

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
Does anyone know of a tool that can help me debug these json files? Getting zero ore gen now, so there's an error somewhere (most likely a single missing comma among 2000 lines of text). It was so much easier to build complex generation when using the old tab delimited text file.

Edit - nvm, found this http://jsonlint.com/ that helped big time.
Hey, that's a nice tool. I'll probably add a link to it in the OP & in the guide.