Mod Feedback ChromatiCraft questions and suggestions

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
No, and there never will be interdimensional transport.

OK, then next question: What can a mage do in a dimension that does not have pylons / what kind of magical batteries are there, or are they needed? My understanding is that the lumen trees are the battery, but they need a pylon network in the same dimension to charge, and can't go into another dimension (but as I say that, can you silk touch the leaves?)

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
OK, then next question: What can a mage do in a dimension that does not have pylons / what kind of magical batteries are there, or are they needed? My understanding is that the lumen trees are the battery, but they need a pylon network in the same dimension to charge, and can't go into another dimension (but as I say that, can you silk touch the leaves?)
To the best of my understanding, if you wish to participate in and progress in ChromatiCraft, you MUST have access to the overworld. Period, end story, that's all she wrote. It's not just bloody difficult to work from another dimension, it's functionally impossible. You have no way of transferring the necessary energy across dimensions, and without it you simply can't progress to anything meaningful within the mod. While I don't know Reika's reasons for designing things in this fashion and enforcing it despite several requests to allow what you're trying, it is what it is and we just have to live with it.

If I were to hazard guesses about it, I would suspect there are some code-related reasons for why things are the way they are. From hidden objects that only 'really' exist after you reach a certain point of progression within the mod, to how pylons are tied directly to the world data and corrupt things badly if they're messed with (to my understanding), even to how important exploration is in progressing and finding materials, I suspect it's more than just a simple design choice and has other much more crunchy reasons. But again, that's just my guess!

For what it's worth, I do like the idea of your pack, but I don't think you can include ChromatiCraft unless you specifically make the Overworld the dimension for those who wish to progress ChromatiCraft, as there's just no way around the limitations built into the mod's design. Best of luck to you though! Sounds like a fun one.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Anything to do with crafting and a lot of the utility machines require connection to a pylon network, either directly through normal repeaters, or by mini-repeaters similar to how TC's energized-node-powered machines work. There are a couple of mining machines that work with a portable battery, but again to charge the battery you need a pylon network, and are the exception to the rule.

The lumen tree exists mostly to cope with heavy load; it can store ~11 million lumens of each variety, while pylons only store 180k. I'm not actually sure what kind of load is even required to necessitate a lumen tree, because once upgraded I haven't yet been able to draw from them pylons faster than their recharge rate anyhow.

Lumen tree leaves cannot be silk touched as they are part of a multiblock, without which they would be worthless. The luminescent battery block is the controller, which is what stores all of the important tile entity data for the tree. Even if they could be silk touched, the way the tree grows is not linear with each additional leaf; the first leaf stores only 1000, then by the second-to-last leaf ~5 million and the final leaf ~11 million, if I'm remembering my numbers right.

As for non-overworld generation, if Mystcraft is an option, Mystcraft ages will generate all overworld structures provided spawn conditions are right, except for pylons which will only generate if the appropriate config option is enabled. As of v10, assuming Reika's gotten it working correctly, Chromaticraft structural generation in Mystcraft ages will be controlled via pages instead of config, divided into plants, ores, pylons and so on. It should be noted that Nether and End access is also necessary for progression.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wraithflay

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Since Mystcraft pages for pylons and the likes are being implemented, are the same things going to be available via dimlets in Rftools?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
To clarify what I had planned:
Since as I understood it, ChromaticCraft only generates it's stuff properly in the overworld (partial gen in RfTools, and broken gen in Mystcraft), I was going to have dim0/Overworld be for people who wanted to work in Magic (one, maybe 2 players would fit that). Access to the overworld isn't impossible, it's just not the starting location. (Twilight forest is).

Nether/end: ... Hmm, so I didn't think that clearly. Strongholds only work in the overworld (they gen in ages but do not work in ages). Nether: I had planned for a link book to the nether.

The goal/intention was to permit would-be mages to set up shop in dim 0, and not bother anyone else; then, they could use whatever magical devices they make elsewhere. Similar to a tech person generating a massive RoC setup, and then taking their tech devices elsewhere.

But a RoC shaft can go through a world rift, or a crystal portal, or a nether portal, or a twilight forest portal. (hmm, can they go into RfTool's dimensions?). Or an industrial coil battery can be brought somewhere (although not nearly as nice post V6), or the power plants can be moved.

===

What worldgen options work well with ChrC in the overworld? Last I heard, only vanilla, Climate Control (vanilla with a better biome layout), and ATG worked, and ATG's gen was problematic (although I don't know exactly why). Is this still the case, and what works best for it? (1.7.10 native doesn't make much ocean for the ocean structure, Climate Control can provide more oceans, as well as a better balance of hot and frozen biomes).

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
@rearth: You may simply need to craft more. Some progression is gated behind crafting things in certain levels of the progression (basic crafting, rune crafting, 5x5 rune crafting, etc), but not crafting specific things. If you've got the shards and base items, I'd suggest making a bunch of glows. They're excellent lights, they look cool as hell, and you can craft ridiculous quantities of them easily. A good thing to do when you get to a given step in the mod is to craft a stack or so of a simple thing at said level so you can get that bit out of the way immediately.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
@rearth...you can craft ridiculous quantities of them easily. A good thing to do when you get to a given step in the mod is to craft a stack or so of a simple thing at said level so you can get that bit out of the way immediately.
This is entirely incorrect, and the Casting Table explicitly checks for "spam crafting" intended to do nothing but force-level the table, and penalizes the crafting accordingly.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Really? I'm just going off experience, not the code. Just know that I made 16 stacks of gold-based tahara glows and fulfilled the crafting requirements for that step. Still, the whole "you gotta make things to get better things to make" thing stands, which was the main thrust of my post.

[ETA]

And today marks my first non-testing use of a world rift: transporting power from hydrokinetic engines at bedrock up to a friction heater in my base to smelt tungsten! I am already in love with them.

Last edited:

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
I set up a mineral extractor in the nether, with NetherOres installed. A few observations:
  • There's a config, which defaults to on, that causes NetherOres ore veins to explode sometimes if mined without silk touch. Even with the silk touch upgrade, the Nether sounded very much like an especially unstable Mystcraft age. I suppose v10 might mostly fix this on account of the mining pattern change.
  • In the nether, ores are replaced with stone, which looks a little awkward. Would it be possible to replace them with netherrack instead?
  • While attempting to mine glowstone (and failing), this error was spammed about 1000 times:
Code:
[14:11:12] [Server thread/INFO] [FML/]: DRAGONAPI: [14:11:12] [Server thread/ERROR] [FML/]: DRAGONAPI ERROR: Tile Entity Mineral Extractor @ DIM-1: 541, 32, -54 is throwing class java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException on update: Index: 157569, Size: 1057
[14:11:12] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 157569, Size: 1057
[14:11:12] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]:     at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(Unknown Source)
[14:11:12] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]:     at java.util.ArrayList.get(Unknown Source)
[14:11:12] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]:     at Reika.ChromatiCraft.TileEntity.Acquisition.TileEntityMiner.updateEntity(TileEntityMiner.java:140)
[14:11:12] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]:     at Reika.DragonAPI.Base.TileEntityBase.func_145845_h(TileEntityBase.java:454)
[14:11:12] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]:     at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:1939)
[14:11:12] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]:     at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72939_s(WorldServer.java:489)
[14:11:12] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]:     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:636)
[14:11:12] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]:     at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71190_q(DedicatedServer.java:334)
[14:11:12] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]:     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71217_p(MinecraftServer.java:547)
[14:11:12] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]:     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:427)
[14:11:12] [Server thread/INFO] [STDERR/]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]:     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer$2.run(MinecraftServer.java:685)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Say, I've got a minor suggestion: would it be at all feasible to make some pretty decorative blocks based on the resonant crystals? For some reason, I just love their texture and even if all I could get would be a storage block, I'd wipe out whole dimensions to get the stuff.

[ETA]

Also...is the crystal furnace supposed to double ore flakes? I ask because I put 45 iron ore flakes into one and got 90 ingots out. I think the manual said its not supposed to double ore dusts, but I dunno if that applies to flakes, too or not, but figured I'd mention it.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Say, I've got a minor suggestion: would it be at all feasible to make some pretty decorative blocks based on the resonant crystals? For some reason, I just love their texture and even if all I could get would be a storage block, I'd wipe out whole dimensions to get the stuff.
Are these the purple end ones?

Also...is the crystal furnace supposed to double ore flakes? I ask because I put 45 iron ore flakes into one and got 90 ingots out. I think the manual said its not supposed to double ore dusts, but I dunno if that applies to flakes, too or not, but figured I'd mention it.
Yes. Dusts are a duplication exploit; flakes are not.

Adraxas

Jul 29, 2019
10.2x average for normal ores, 20.4x for nether ores, and 26.3x for rare ores (13.5x, 23.3x, and 27.4x if you have a bedrock drill), up to a theoretical maximum of 32x.
There is a dupe exploit if you use the extractor, crystal furnace, and the combiner(8 dust+1 cobble=1 ore) from mekanism.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, but it requires a mod outside Reika's ecosystem. Though, could potentially be an optional thingie...that, or request that Mek add an option to disable ore-making with the combiner.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Aye, but it requires a mod outside Reika's ecosystem. Though, could potentially be an optional thingie...that, or request that Mek add an option to disable ore-making with the combiner.
It has an option. And because he is doing something that breaks a fundamental design assumption of the game (ie that ores are mined, not crafted) I care little about any exploit.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
CROP GROWTH LASERS. That is all.

Well...not quite... Reika, homie, I can't seem to get the last 10 or so fragments to finish up my lexicon. I've crafted pretty much everything in the endgame section, captured 8 end crystals, stored 400,000 of each lumen in me, boosted all 16 colours of pylon, lost about a million lumens to death, made a couple of relay-powered thingies, built regular and multichromic repeaters, and going by the debug option, my table's got about 94 million experience in it. Am I missing something?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
CROP GROWTH LASERS. That is all.

Well...not quite... Reika, homie, I can't seem to get the last 10 or so fragments to finish up my lexicon. I've crafted pretty much everything in the endgame section, captured 8 end crystals, stored 400,000 of each lumen in me, boosted all 16 colours of pylon, lost about a million lumens to death, made a couple of relay-powered thingies, built regular and multichromic repeaters, and going by the debug option, my table's got about 94 million experience in it. Am I missing something?
Several fragments are gated behind visiting, using, or completing the dimension.