[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
The PDFs for Stone and Iron were empty. :-( I'll dig through the raw html and see if I can get something.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Thank you Maul_Junior, this challenge has been a great inspiration. I've been a avid follower of Mobious Archives, I never knew so many other people did this challenge too. I really like your aesthetics VaalDeth, I'll have to pick up some tricks from you.

Ah aesthetics! Love your roads by the way.

Hopefully I'll have more time in a couple weeks to really get back into the challenge instead of wrestling with the mess I made switching to 1.7.10.

Reactions: Ziggy Adventures

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
hey guys. sorry I've been AFK for a while. I've been out of the country. Japan RULES.

I'm totally moving there when I get a chance. Teaching myself Japanese by overloading on anime (and a bit of informal instruction from various "Learn Japanese" websites), learning to read Romaji first, then working my way up (slowly) to Kanji--which for some reason my brain wanted to call Kaiju.

.....canot wait for Pacific Rim 2.

Sensei, thanks for uploading the wiki pages.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/obpnrsifqbz1sx8/refugeetoregentchallenge_20141016.pdf?dl=0

this is a COMPLETE backup of the entire wiki, all in one file. After I did the backup I didn't do any more editing. The pages are jumbled up a bit, probably because I didn't organize my table of contents very well, maybe because that's how the backup feature works, I dunno. However, you can access any page at any time by the table of contents. My file basically is what Sensei has in one file. None of the links work, because it's a direct rip of the pages, and the links direct you to the now defunct wiki. Gonna be working on updating the links in the OP, working more on the new wiki.....soon. I have some projects IRL I have to take care of.

Ziggy that looks amazing. The shaders is very pretty.

EpicSpire I might transfer to Obsidian Portal some time, but atm I have both of my free wiki slots taken up by personal projects, and don't really want to delete either one or make a new account. Good diea, though.

Vaal, Mobius, I'll get your latest videos updated soonish. Ziggy I'll get a picture of yours up onto the wiki near Vaal/Mobius/thorn's videos. Also soonish.

LastElf

Jul 29, 2019
The pages are jumbled up a bit, probably because I didn't organize my table of contents very well, maybe because that's how the backup feature works, I dunno. However, you can access any page at any time by the table of contents. My file basically is what Sensei has in one file. None of the links work, because it's a direct rip of the pages, and the links direct you to the now defunct wiki. Gonna be working on updating the links in the OP, working more on the new wiki.....soon. I have some projects IRL I have to take care of.

If you want a hand with the formatting I might be able to help you out. I don't want to try and balance 10 different tech groups in amongst my other projects, but it would be so nice if all the pages actually had a uniform writing style. I had to write my own spreadsheet so I could keep track of the food/population requirements instead of trying to make sense of the wiki.

hG3sNVm.jpg

I added a x4 multiplier on all references to food to give the farms a bit more scale, but it calculates itself once we add new houses/population.

But yeah, some more tables and easier to read requirements would be awesome. An almost unlimited amount of data can be processed by someone as long as it's formatted well ;)

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
If you want a hand with the formatting I might be able to help you out. I don't want to try and balance 10 different tech groups in amongst my other projects, but it would be so nice if all the pages actually had a uniform writing style. I had to write my own spreadsheet so I could keep track of the food/population requirements instead of trying to make sense of the wiki.
hG3sNVm.jpg

Nice idea, @LastElf ! I might have to brush off my google docs skills a little when I get done with my D&D project.
I'm too much of a nerd for my own good. :)

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019

hG3sNVm.jpg

I added a x4 multiplier on all references to food to give the farms a bit more scale, but it calculates itself once we add new houses/population.

But yeah, some more tables and easier to read requirements would be awesome. An almost unlimited amount of data can be processed by someone as long as it's formatted well ;)

heh. Post #666 congrats.

Yes. my old Wiki SUCKS. I'm working on the replacement as fast as I can (and still stay sane, socially adjusted, and employed heh).

Most of the old wiki is written horribly, and has no semblance of similarity. I'm trying to keep things a LOT cleaner on the new wiki, and I'm working on a spreadsheet on my local computer (literally just added it to my Dropbox instead of the Desktop R2R Folder), that will do basically what you have there, across multiple pages of the same spreasheet.

I will NOT be using the x farmer/rancher, because I'm working on a system to expand individual farms--so you might have a massive farm/ranch in one settlement, but a small one on another.

The Mastersheet. Haven't had as much time as I would have liked to work on it lately.

Notes: Chickens are using Wheat as their breeding material on the spreadsheet, because wheat seeds are their breeding material. Generally Breeding Materials=2 Livestock require 1 Breeding Material.

In the future, the various Lords (Crime/Noble) will probably want to expand their diet (more important Lords will want more variety)--they will probably have a General food requirement (only this for the lowest two ranks), a meat requirement (2nd highest rank), and the highest ranks might demand Fish and Cake (Let them eat Cake, for The Cake is a lie!) as well. To that end, Cake is given its own section on the Mastersheet's food section, along with Golden Apples/Carrots (Golden food will be a stockpile, not a renewable resource).

I want to get what I'm calling the Mastersheet up and running first, and then one spreadshet per stage for people that would prefer to do it that way--probably start at the most complicated stage I have done and work my way back. I'm gonna be working on the Food page now, using what you have for a frame of reference, actually. Once I get it to a decent spot I do want to upload to google docs when it's in a bit better shape for public consumption.

And yeah, I'm working with the formulas too. That way you only have to update the Residential tab and the amount of food needed on the Food tab will automatically update.

All hail our new Spreadsheet overlords. I, for one, welcome them.

Also, on Obsidian Portal--I am considering deleting one of my "campaigns" that I will probably never get to, because I THINK I can set up Character Pages and let others with OP accounts edit their own character page. Not entirely sure about that atm but if it is actually true, I'll probably swap to Obsidian Portal, set up redirects on the ad-heavy wiki, and transplant all content over there--and let Mobius, Vaal, thorn (if/when he stats up again), people who only have pictures, people who want to RP an AAR, etc have their own pages in the Character setion, and let them keep it updated (or not) at will

I'm also considering (this is a case where I'm actually considering instead of bullrushing in, though I am leaning heavily towards doing i) of setting up "Butcher" and "Bakers" that make farms/ranchers better.

Bakers could specialize in only cookies, pumpkin pie (is still a thing, right?), bread, cake, etc (or a sweets shop that has cookies, pie, and cake, and another that only does bread, whatever), and Butchers, well, multiply Ranchers. Towns with Bakeries that have Sweet Shops get to count Sugarcane Plantations as food sources.

btw places with a Bakery would actually double a Cow's value, because Milk and meat--and give Mooshrooms a x3 bonus over other Livestock without a Bakery--Milk, Meat, and Mushrooms/Mushroom Stew. I don't consider the shearing as opposed to "stewing" Mooshrooms an additional food source--it just does it in a different way.

.....changed my mind. I'm not considering it naymore. I talked myself into it.

TL: DR--

New Food Service Buildings: Bakery, Butcher.

Bakery: Basically, if the Bakery/ies use a resource from an animal/plant that is planted/tended, that resource gains an (additional) food point. Thus giving Sugarcane/Pumpkins/Eggs/am-I-missing-something? a food score (Also, potentially, Jungle Tree Orchards)

Butcher: Gives any kind of meat an additional food point.. Not Fish (?)

--Rancher Upgrade? Iron+ Sword with Looting III either stored on premises, displayed in premises, or on the person of the Butcher Custom NPC (or other applicable mod): Additional +1 food point per Livesttock?

--Farmer Upgrade? Iron+Axe with Fortune III: +1 food per crop?

What do you think of the Potential Rancher/Farmer upgrades (I am not fully convinced of these yet. I think it's a good start, and am maybe 60/40 for it atm and could use feedback)? too much hassle for a per-farmer basis? Too powerful for a Settlement-wide bonus?

While I'm on the topic--should an Outlier that is almost entirely devoted to Agriculture recieve a bonus to its output, Settlement-wide (and similar Outliers recieve similar treatment)?

....should I add a soup kitchen to boost mushroom/carrot scores (rabbit stew)? If so, should Rabbits get to a 3 food score, or stay at 2? Mooshrooms would NOT get to 4 food score.

I haven't really considered enchantments up to this point. Maybe giving certain enchantments to officers allows them to control more men (Probably too much hassle to give to individual line grunts)

Congratulations--you don't need to plant/breed as much. Like I said above, I'm working on ways to expand individual farms/ranches through upgrades, too. So each farmer will be able to provide a much better bang for the buck than before.

I REALLY want to add a candlestick maker but I can't think of a decent way to do that.

=IF(B18>0; B18*(+1+IF(B31="Yes"; +1; B31="No"=+0)+IF(B30="Yes"; +1; B30="No"=+0)); 0)

Mooshrooms, I HATE you right now.

That said, now that I've figured this out, everything else (plus adding in more bonuses as the arise) will be easy peasy now.

That's the formulas for the Mooshroom bonus calculations. Basically, if you have a number of mooshrooms that is greater than 0, you will get the standard +1 bonus, with an additional bonus for a Butcher and a Baker (Mooshrooms have milk too).

Did that help?

Good.

Oh, and Mooshrooms have their Wheat breeding requirements working properly as well. Time to remantle the cow formulas that I sort of mangled while trying to come up with the above formula.

I'm probably gonna have a copyable/disposable "Per FArm/Ranch" page to help with bonuses like Ranch Hands, etc.

RIGHT. That's breeding material sorted (forgot I had x2 Breeding Item per breedable--so yeah, I did increase the breeding requirement sX4 in the last hour or so after I brought them down by the same amount :p.

So. currently the food page works in the following ways:

the General food requirements are working. Most folks eat 6 food, Servants and Farm/Ranch/etc hands (each one increases a farm's size by X and are treated as Agricultural Servants for all intents and purposes), Officers eat 8 food, and Nobles start out as a Base 10 (Numbers may change).

aaaand cows and chickens are broken.

WHAT.

Butcher/Baker shops are working properly. Sugar Cane/Pumpkins/Cocoa do not count as food unless a Baker is built.

Last edited:

LastElf

Jul 29, 2019
heh. Post #666 congrats.

Most of the old wiki is written horribly, and has no semblance of similarity. I'm trying to keep things a LOT cleaner on the new wiki, and I'm working on a spreadsheet on my local computer (literally just added it to my Dropbox instead of the Desktop R2R Folder), that will do basically what you have there, across multiple pages of the same spreasheet.

I will NOT be using the x farmer/rancher, because I'm working on a system to expand individual farms--so you might have a massive farm/ranch in one settlement, but a small one on another.

The Mastersheet. Haven't had as much time as I would have liked to work on it lately.

Notes: Chickens are using Wheat as their breeding material on the spreadsheet, because wheat seeds are their breeding material. Generally Breeding Materials=2 Livestock require 1 Breeding Material.

In the future, the various Lords (Crime/Noble) will probably want to expand their diet (more important Lords will want more variety)--they will probably have a General food requirement (only this for the lowest two ranks), a meat requirement (2nd highest rank), and the highest ranks might demand Fish and Cake (Let them eat Cake, for The Cake is a lie!) as well. To that end, Cake is given its own section on the Mastersheet's food section, along with Golden Apples/Carrots (Golden food will be a stockpile, not a renewable resource).

I want to get what I'm calling the Mastersheet up and running first, and then one spreadshet per stage for people that would prefer to do it that way--probably start at the most complicated stage I have done and work my way back. I'm gonna be working on the Food page now, using what you have for a frame of reference, actually. Once I get it to a decent spot I do want to upload to google docs when it's in a bit better shape for public consumption.

And yeah, I'm working with the formulas too. That way you only have to update the Residential tab and the amount of food needed on the Food tab will automatically update.

All hail our new Spreadsheet overlords. I, for one, welcome them.

Also, on Obsidian Portal--I am considering deleting one of my "campaigns" that I will probably never get to, because I THINK I can set up Character Pages and let others with OP accounts edit their own character page. Not entirely sure about that atm but if it is actually true, I'll probably swap to Obsidian Portal, set up redirects on the ad-heavy wiki, and transplant all content over there--and let Mobius, Vaal, thorn (if/when he stats up again), people who only have pictures, people who want to RP an AAR, etc have their own pages in the Character setion, and let them keep it updated (or not) at will

I'm also considering (this is a case where I'm actually considering instead of bullrushing in, though I am leaning heavily towards doing i) of setting up "Butcher" and "Bakers" that make farms/ranchers better.

Bakers could specialize in only cookies, pumpkin pie (is still a thing, right?), bread, cake, etc (or a sweets shop that has cookies, pie, and cake, and another that only does bread, whatever), and Butchers, well, multiply Ranchers. Towns with Bakeries that have Sweet Shops get to count Sugarcane Plantations as food sources.

btw places with a Bakery would actually double a Cow's value, because Milk and meat--and give Mooshrooms a x3 bonus over other Livestock without a Bakery--Milk, Meat, and Mushrooms/Mushroom Stew. I don't consider the shearing as opposed to "stewing" Mooshrooms an additional food source--it just does it in a different way.

.....changed my mind. I'm not considering it naymore. I talked myself into it.

TL: DR--

New Food Service Buildings: Bakery, Butcher.

Bakery: Basically, if the Bakery/ies use a resource from an animal/plant that is planted/tended, that resource gains an (additional) food point. Thus giving Sugarcane/Pumpkins/Eggs/am-I-missing-something? a food score (Also, potentially, Jungle Tree Orchards)

Butcher: Gives any kind of meat an additional food point.. Not Fish (?)

--Rancher Upgrade? Iron+ Sword with Looting III either stored on premises, displayed in premises, or on the person of the Butcher Custom NPC (or other applicable mod): Additional +1 food point per Livesttock?

--Farmer Upgrade? Iron+Axe with Fortune III: +1 food per crop?

What do you think of the Potential Rancher/Farmer upgrades (I am not fully convinced of these yet. I think it's a good start, and am maybe 60/40 for it atm and could use feedback)? too much hassle for a per-farmer basis? Too powerful for a Settlement-wide bonus?

While I'm on the topic--should an Outlier that is almost entirely devoted to Agriculture recieve a bonus to its output, Settlement-wide (and similar Outliers recieve similar treatment)?

....should I add a soup kitchen to boost mushroom/carrot scores (rabbit stew)? If so, should Rabbits get to a 3 food score, or stay at 2? Mooshrooms would NOT get to 4 food score.

I haven't really considered enchantments up to this point. Maybe giving certain enchantments to officers allows them to control more men (Probably too much hassle to give to individual line grunts)

Congratulations--you don't need to plant/breed as much. Like I said above, I'm working on ways to expand individual farms/ranches through upgrades, too. So each farmer will be able to provide a much better bang for the buck than before.

I REALLY want to add a candlestick maker but I can't think of a decent way to do that.

Re Spreadsheet overlords: Yeah tell me about it. I've been learning javascript lately and I'm finding it a lot easier to do character generation/resource requirements in instead of spreadsheets, but since I don't have a db server I can't share it with the other guy I'm doing this challenge with.

I'll be very interested to see how your spreadsheet goes with the new ruleset. Needs a bit of explanation right now though :p I think if you're going to go for a spreadsheet with calculations and self-validation you need to add a minimum amount of x (Rooms/beds/population of type y) but allow the formula to go over that limit. Base the minimum amount validation on a drop down selector for the age that you're currently in and let the Rule of Cool to let people decide if they want to go over that amount, but still need to produce enough food/goods for them.

I was just skimming over the rest of the post, but if you're looking for ideas:
Butcher/baker seemed more like an employment building for your settlers instead of a specific requirement. If you're taking this as a historical example, people lived at their place of work (Cause land was insanely expensive) and worked for themselves, right up until the industrial revolution. You also had at LEAST 50%, if not a lot more, of your population purely on food production to make enough food for everyone through the winter. Instead of just having x number of houses to fill out the population, give the people along the main road/town square a reason to live there. A baker would sleep upstairs but have their ovens on the shop floor or outside for example. Have the requirement to be giving everyone a job instead of flavour buildings needing someone in a house to work it. It'll also help us more engineering focused people more rooms to design instead of each house needing a bedroom, kitchen, living space, etc. Slums were a real thing and most people only had 2 rooms and a shared bath house (Look at London during the middle ages or the race for the new world, cramped living conditions where you did your trade with most of the population still living in smaller towns unless they had to sell something at the market).

Tallow candles are in the latest Thaumcraft. Forestry has candles like torches made in the carpenter and Pam's HarvestCraft has candleberry candles. And that's just what I have from the 1.7 DW20 pack (I added Pam's for food variations and cut down on the fields and fields of wheat).

Could also do glass blowers with TiCon smelteries, make it a requirement if you have TiCon that to make large scale building grade glass (instead of just the odd panel) you need a glassblower instead of just a personal furnace. That would also unlock stained glass for larger building projects.

You only unlock metal tools when you get a blacksmith. A company barracks (~100 people) MUST have their own weapon and armour smiths with their own smelteries and armoury instead of sharing it castle wide (Think of Castle Black from Game of Thrones. They had to self-sustain their weapons and armour and they certainly weren't civilians).

The more you lock tech behind a certain building requirement then the less you're going to need these buildings/rooms personally, but I think that would make things a lot more realistic. You might have a personal blacksmith if you're a rich enough lord, but you wouldn't have it anywhere near your mansion. Creates more of a reliance on the rest of your empire as well.

For all of this though, I might be a bit jaded by my own game. I've spent a lot of time playing Settlers and Anno and I'm using major elements for production chains from those games in my own. This R2R challenge is kind of a more personal construction version of that instead of just making the numbers tick up.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Re Spreadsheet overlords: Yeah tell me about it. I've been learning javascript lately and I'm finding it a lot easier to do character generation/resource requirements in instead of spreadsheets, but since I don't have a db server I can't share it with the other guy I'm doing this challenge with.

I'll be very interested to see how your spreadsheet goes with the new ruleset. Needs a bit of explanation right now though :p I think if you're going to go for a spreadsheet with calculations and self-validation you need to add a minimum amount of x (Rooms/beds/population of type y) but allow the formula to go over that limit. Base the minimum amount validation on a drop down selector for the age that you're currently in and let the Rule of Cool to let people decide if they want to go over that amount, but still need to produce enough food/goods for them.

*snip*

First: Cows and Chickens fixed. Problem was not really a problem. Just me sucking at BASIC math.

Note: 1+1=2, not 1. 1+2=3, not 2. 1+3=4, not 3. YOU FORGOT THE 1 IN THE FORMULAS YOU IDIOT.

Mooshrooms now=4 points apiece with max bonus (Bakery Bonus for Milk +1, Butcher Bonus +1, Stew Bonus +1)......yes. that's right.

Re: Java program

Very nice. Very slick. Too bad I don't know of a decent free place to host it, unlike Googledocs for spreadsheets. Also, I am planning point bonuses for stockopiles.

Re: Tech Tree--I CAN see about adding some of that, but I don't want to be the primary focus. There are already challenges like that, and this is more about having fun than sticking to hard and fast tech tree. Not trying to say ("If you like that go find one of those"), just that I don't want the core of the challenge to *necessarily* focus on that.

That said, I can understand why some people would want a tech tree. So I'll see what I can do.(more on that below)

rereading, I see what you are saying more clearly. Earlier on I had something like that.....I'll see what I can do to help with that with the Tech Tree variation (and it will remain a variation, not the core rule).

That is the plan (and also the main reason for per-Stage spreadsheets). Back in Wood/Stone back in the day IIRC I set up the specific build requirements to balance out the number of houses I had.....then things changed a bit. Mostly for the better (I'd have to go back and do a bit of work to see if the numbers still match up), but that specific thing being lost (probably) is probably a bit for the worse.

My main idea for this rewrite is that things are more free-flowing. Instead of building a town that I'd like you to build, I give you a lot of options (like 2-4x the amount of points you need before you cross the Stage-complete threshold), and you pick and choose the areas you want to focus on, whether it's building up your personal estate and killing lots of mobs and getting a big-ass trophy room at the expense of everythign else, building a giant army, being a giant breadbasket, mining, tons of Outliers, collecting ALL THE THINGS (and a lot of each), or, yes, maybe even a Tech Tree you can follow. But even filling out an entire category would not, by itself, give you 100% of the points to advance to the next stage. So you get enough points to advance and say "I have L Points in X, Y, and Z categories," while another person has K points in A, B, and C categories--or maybe that's the same person in a second (a second? Have you even done a first yet? :p) Challenge run. Or, you know, youcould go nuts and get ALL the points.

Points would be calculated by the Stage for advancement, and then your total score (from all Stages/Expansion) is slotted in elsewhere for bragging rights.

re: slums, etc.

I agree. which is why the new ruleset I'm whipping up is like this:

http://refugee-to-regent.wikia.com/wiki/Residential
http://refugee-to-regent.wikia.com/wiki/Wooden_Settlement

Base Slums=3x the population, but 1 less room than average
Base Apartments=2x the population, but only half the rooms per Apartment
Base Dwelling=4 rooms

huh. thought that was balanced better. anyway, the various buildings (Farms, butcher, etc) add rooms onto the base, specifically devoted to their craft.

The more you lock tech behind a certain building requirement then the fewer "Just wanna build" type I'll get to try this out

is my worry. That said, it's not enough to throw out the tech idea completely.

The more you lock tech behind a certain building requirement then the less you're going to need these buildings/rooms personally, but I think that would make things a lot more realistic. You might have a personal blacksmith if you're a rich enough lord, but you wouldn't have it anywhere near your mansion. Creates more of a reliance on the rest of your empire as well.

A while back I had this a lot more--but then it was in the rigid "You must build this to advance. build whatever else you want on your own, but you MUST BUILD THIS FIRST" of the last wiki, I experimented with a couple things kind of like this, but it didn't work at the time. However, now that I'm doing more of a free-flowing challenge I can add stuff that the people that just really don't want to build it don't have to, and add a few more things in (like Outlier Tribute every Stage helping with Stockpile points).

the Tech Tree variant will probably tighten a few things down, including making Bakeries/Butchers only able to accept their input from the Settlement in which they are based, but able to send their products across the Empire....part of me wants to do something with Trade but I KNOW I'd be reaching going for that. at least for now. I can't promise It will recieve constant updates for a while, but I will do my best not to abandon it....just keep in mind I'm rewriting pretty much everything for the new wiki so bear with me.

Also keep in mind that I'm writing 90% for vanilla atm. There are just too many mods out there that are new or have undergone too many updates without me playing them that I can't relearn mods atm AND do the Challenge and still do everything non-R2R in my life without going insane or getting like 2 hours of sleep a night. And then I'd lose my job, and things would spiral a bit from there. There are some things (like basic resources) I still have a firm grasp on, and a bunch of the core stuff of various mods, but.......there's a lot more I don't know how to do. Once I'm satisfied with vanilla(ish) stuff, I'll have time to go back and relearn mods. Until then, use your best judgement or help me with specific mod stuff for the challenge. I'd review stuff before making it official and might/probably make change here and there before making it official--but if you want to make an unofficial official companion ruleset feel free.

Last edited:

LastElf

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, it looks like we're on two different pages then. Looks like a lot has changed since the original challenge went live and since I'm still going on that I haven't seen what you've changed in your own notes. I wasn't trying to undo everything else, just throwing ideas out there not realising there was other more tech-tree related empire building challenges out there (This seems the be the most well known on these forums at least).

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Dunno about empire building. They tend to be a lot smaller in scale. a lot smaller. and I looked tonight and couldn't find any of them, wouldn't ya know.

heh.

that said, the possibilities about throwing in some optional tech tree rules are interesting, and I do want to put some in. I just don't want it to be the core of the challenge unless you want it to be.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...-empire-building-challenge-inspired-by-age-of

is the one I was thinking of. it's........very small in comparison to R2R. and SIGNIFICANTLY limits basically anything you can do. down to literally telling you how much of a given resource you can gather in a given timeframe. But like I said, I am open to some tech tree stuff.

Ziggy Adventures

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad you are leaning towards a free-flowing direction. The structure of the first two stages has helped me mature and am using the Rule of Cool to bend building codes into the style I want, never to make it easier. My most bent rule is not having a door(and sometimes walls) on each room, they sometimes end up like "areas" or outdoor patios.

@Senseidragon , I use the Test Pack Please Ignore from the FTB launcher plus a few mods. I *Borrowed* the idea of CustumNPCs from Mobious Archives, and added Underground Biomes to give me more stone types to build with. However I am stuck in 1.6.4.
@VaalDeth , I'm loving your foundations and roof types, I've never used foundations and really only have 3 types of roofs. Thank you for the inspiration!

Reactions: VaalDeth

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, it looks like we're on two different pages then. Looks like a lot has changed since the original challenge went live and since I'm still going on that I haven't seen what you've changed in your own notes. I wasn't trying to undo everything else, just throwing ideas out there not realising there was other more tech-tree related empire building challenges out there (This seems the be the most well known on these forums at least).

We may not be on eatly the same page, but........

Doesn't mean I can't reach out and meet you somewhere in the middle :p

It won't get as much work as the rest for now, but I will try to keep working on it here and there.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Agriculture outline is up.

Honestly, what I want to focus on for the near future is Agriculture and the Residential Section. Get a decent balance for people livingin a Settlement vs. their food nees, then work up from there. One thing that I realized about the previous wiki--it racked Disciprines (yes, I did spend a few seconds on how to phrase that just for the link :p).

Biggest new things:

Agricultural "Estates"--basically farms (or the equivalent from other Disciprines) that get upgraded again and again via special buildings and Agricultural Assistants (ie Farm/Ranchhands) to massive size, but can only raise 1 crop or mob.

Agro Nobility. Largely implemented because LastElf got me thinking about a Tech-Tree style. Agro Nobility is completely optional but adds a nice twist IMO. It gives a penalty to Settlements with Agriculture without a Specialist (the most basic of the Agro Nobles) and a penalty to Outlaw settlements that are running Agriculture (lack of Specialist expertise, smuggling costs).

Which leads into the Outlaw Specialist--who boosts production of one Disciprine up to 150% normal production--they're just more motivated than government Specialists. :p However, there's a limit of 1 Outlaw Specialist per Settlement, and Disciprines the Outlaw Specialist doesn't know about that operates in his Settlement operates at 25% capacity.

Ordinarily Outlaw Agriculture would run at 75% (except for Smugglers, they run at 90%. Outlaw Specialists from a crime background other than Smuggler (Pirate, etc) require a Smuggler Mini-Estate (house?) on their own Estate--which has far higher requirements than normal Specialists.

....yes. the Disciprine thing is for this post only.

........I love South Park.

EDIT:
Agriculture outline is up.

Honestly, what I want to focus on for the near future is Agriculture and the Residential Section. Get a decent balance for people livingin a Settlement vs. their food nees, then work up from there. One thing that I realized about the previous wiki--it racked Disciprines (yes, I did spend a few seconds on how to phrase that just for the link :p).

Biggest new things:

Agricultural "Estates"--basically farms (or the equivalent from other Disciprines) that get upgraded again and again via special buildings and Agricultural Assistants (ie Farm/Ranchhands) to massive size, but can only raise 1 crop or mob.

Agro Nobility. Largely implemented because LastElf got me thinking about a Tech-Tree style. Agro Nobility is completely optional but adds a nice twist IMO. It gives a penalty to Settlements with Agriculture without a Specialist (the most basic of the Agro Nobles) and a penalty to Outlaw settlements that are running Agriculture (lack of Specialist expertise, smuggling costs).

Which leads into the Outlaw Specialist--who boosts production of one Disciprine up to 150% normal production--they're just more motivated than government Specialists. :p However, there's a limit of 1 Outlaw Specialist per Settlement, and Disciprines the Outlaw Specialist doesn't know about that operates in his Settlement operates at 25% capacity.

Ordinarily Outlaw Agriculture would run at 75% (except for Smugglers, they run at 90%. Outlaw Specialists from a crime background other than Smuggler (Pirate, etc) require a Smuggler Mini-Estate (house?) on their own Estate--which has far higher requirements than normal Specialists.

....yes. the Disciprine thing is for this post only.

........I love South Park.

EDIT:

So yeah, Farm Estates will have a max level for both Farmhands and Bonus Buildings. I had always intended that, but maybe I wasn't clear. atm I have 4 bonus buildings (+2 for the Far Estate of the farm Specialist), and 6 Farmhands. The former will probably be lowered, and the latter raised slightly.

Mastersheet updated. Check out the "Farming" tab. There's a bunch of filler, but it's gonna end up being a calculator for all the various values:

Farm Estate yes/no; Specialist Yes/No; Specialist's Farm Yes/No (Specialists get a couple more bonus buildings); How many Farmhands there are (if any); What kind of Residences the Farmhands live in (the better the Residence, the better the boost per Farmhand); and probably a couple other things.

It even has a link to the Agriculture page.....though I did screw up a bit and can't seem to delete the link (it's a button). More Research is needed.

Last edited:

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
So. Haven't had much inspiration (and I work retail this time of year, heh), but I did a bit more work today.

New things:

Basically, I'm going to be making a standard Noble (of varying classes), and will have specialized Nobles that have the same requirements of a standard Noble of the same class but will require additional buildings/etc (Miner Noble, Agro Noble, Magic Noble, etc). This only shows up a few places atm.

http://refugee-to-regent.wikia.com/wiki/Tech_Tree

Bunch of stuff on the Tech Tree page (shortened it from Technology Tree, old links should still work because it redirects to the new page). It's all very basic stuff, but hopefully anyone needing some inspiration of an Agricultural theme should find a few ideas there. Also, there's a bit about Magic Education at the bottom.

Second update was:

http://refugee-to-regent.wikia.com/wiki/Stockpiles

Not much there, either.

Also, "Fortifications" is going to be changed to "Military." Fortifications was a placeholder from when all I intended to have was just a wall (big-ass wall, though), not a standing army, in the challenge heh.

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
@VaalDeth , I'm loving your foundations and roof types, I've never used foundations and really only have 3 types of roofs. Thank you for the inspiration!

Thanks a lot Ziggy! I'm glad to see another challenger whose made so much progress come here and post. It really helps the inspiration to see others working hard too.

Love the work you all keep putting in to get lots of creative ideas out there. As most know my version of the challenge is taking many of the concepts from here and expanding the original challenge in a more simplistic manner, not getting as caught up in the exact numbers (I have tons of everything... makes it easy LOL), but I will be posting a list of the building I'll be making for my next gold age.

It's quite a few.

My next episode is uploading now so should be posted soon, its a tour of my city as-is here at the end of the Iron Age. I have a few little things to do and I will probably be adventuring/magic research/etc. some before starting work officially on the Gold Age, perhaps after the New Year.

Keep up the awesome work everyone!! <3