[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I really don’t understand how you and Vaal have the motivation to do All the buildings, I don't (and am a bit jealous of you for it :p )

Do you use CustomNPCs at all? Or alternatively, the Ancient Warfare 2 mod? They both (in very different ways) allow you to incorporate semi-intelligent NPC villagers into your game, which sometimes can help spur your drive to continue. In the CustomNPCs case, I don't bring in a villager until all requirements (place to live, sufficient food) are met. I don't make them into guards or able to defend themselves at all until I've appropriately geared up for a militia, then equip them with the stuff I made rather than just letting it sit in a chest. Eventually, I have a pretty functional community with patrolling guards and such. It feels much more like an accomplishment than being the only one there, or being in a village full of gonzo-nosed idiots with messed up concepts of "fair trade" deals.

Ancient Warfare 2 takes a slightly different route, but allows for your NPC villagers to actually do things for you like farm, fish, mine, chop wood, craft items, form militias, you name it. But you have to do a LOT of background research to get to that point, and it has its own built-in food costs to keep the NPCs happy. So a little tweaking is necessary to fit what you're going for.

Helpful Villagers is another mod that "kinda sorta" works, but apart from just providing some basic tools and some signs on the front of a house, they'll mindlessly go off and work (or not) without any further input from you. This may be your cup of tea - for me it's a bit too simplified.

Minecraft Comes Alive also has more intelligent villagers, but seems to have limited capabilities when it comes to getting them to do what you want. Other than demanding tributes from them or trying to play a minecraft variant of "Leisure Suit Larry" with the villager you'd like to romance, I don't see as much creative opportunity with this as I do the first two I mentioned.

Maul_Junior indirectly linked to a spreadsheet done by someone in the Blocky Souls G+ community that in turn was based off of Maul_Junior's Refugee to Regent wiki. It isn't half bad, and with some tweaking could be really good. I'm fiddling with the format a bit to structure my own challenge attempt.

I'm also trying to come up with a spreadsheet to help keep an eye on my resource requirements as my empire grows, as well as a functional calculator similar to the one described by Maul_Junior for fortifying your communities. It's a good idea, and I know the idea he linked was a very rough draft, but it made my eyes bleed just looking at it and I had to start working on something more visually palatable. :) No offense to Maul, but argh! my eyes still hurt!

The races/subraces still appeal to me a lot but there really isn't any mod support out there (yet) for that sort of thing. I think once the idea is hashed out a bit more, something solid may be able to get kicked off. I've seen a few promising ideas with tiered progression mods, but they don't quite hit the mark just yet.[DOUBLEPOST=1413668658][/DOUBLEPOST]I think the part I liked most on that spreadsheet I mentioned (from the Blocky Souls community) was the idea of working from a limited set of mods to start, and as you met certain goals, you could unlock other mods a little at a time. You could even choose to have your particular empire specialize in a particular mod early on, while having another mod be forbidden to you entirely, or just be really bad at it -- you could work with a mod, but only if you got the components in trade from another empire. This would work really well for SMP servers, or with some tweaking, you could have some of your more advanced outliers take that role. Where they'd be the "Blood Magic" folk, for example, and anything created by that mod would have to originate from there, but could then be traded with the rest of your empire for use elsewhere.

For me anyway, it sets the gears in my head grinding forward...

Last edited:

yoy1zoz2mom3

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds good, I will need to make a full modpack someday with some intelligent villagers, could see the possibilities
A spreadsheet would also be good, as I just got lost easily on the tiers and what each villager needs and blah blah.

Reactions: Senseidragon

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
About the PDF:

I have not done it yet, but I will upload it somewhere, probably Dropbox.

Interesting change, I'd like to know more about what you mean by "significant footprint in your Capital". In my case I have a TechAlley with Railcraft, RotaryCraft, ThermalExpansion and other shopkeeper/technical specalists. Would something like having a person and building dedicated to a particular technology be enough to introduce it to your civilization?

Also, I love the Pimp My Outlier Expansion. I've more than run out of room building on the edge of the city by the water. I think I'll look forward to moving my quarters to someplace more roomy.

That's basically exactly what I'm saying.

Each Expansion would mean a little expansion in your Capital (a few more Immigrants, a few more buildings that are themed to the expansion), and beginning/expanding areas that the expansion focuses on.

Some (like the Noble/Crime Lords) just boost/focus on/introduce new nobles that wouldn't otherwise show up in the Challenge.

Sensei--I'm really not an aesthetics guy, and once I get a little further I plan on releasing the spreadsheets to the public, maybe even making one read-only, one editable by the public so people better than me can make it easier on the eyes :p

what I "released" was meant to be a read-only of the spreadsheet itself, but somehow it only copied over the values. o.0 not sure what happened there.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
No worries, Maul, I knew what you intended, and the idea was expressed just fine. :)

I've been fiddling around all day with a minetweaker/modtweaker-like idea where you can set achievement triggers to unlock crafting recipes as a way to gate progress through mods on a per-player basis. This would allow something like having Thermal Expansion enabled and with all the worldgen that comes with it, but when you go to actually craft any TE recipes, they simply are not there for a player that hasn't completed specific prerequisite goals. This differs (afaik) from minetweaker/modtweaker in that it doesn't actually remove the recipes from the game, it would just not allow that crafting or smelting action to occur for that specific player. A player farther along may well be able to craft those mod items on the same server.

It kind of would work like with Thaumcraft or Blood Magic, where only a player who has unlocked or researched a given thing can make it. But it would apply across several mods, not just within itself.

Example: Mr Crayfish Furniture Mod not enabled until you've gathered a stack of planks and a half-stack of wool. At that point, the mod unlocks for you and you can use all of the recipes as normal.

Or chisel mod not enabled until "Stone Age" requirements from challenge are met, whatever that may be defined as.

Or having the ability to unlock other mods tied into rewards using HQM mod.

...I'll go back to my musings now...[DOUBLEPOST=1413690655][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, I in NO WAY am trying to advocate anything like a Pay-to-win system of some people get item X while others do not because they donated something. This is purely in the context of survival challenges like R2R.[DOUBLEPOST=1413741084,1413690459][/DOUBLEPOST]Arrgh! I'm getting a crash to desktop with the current version of CustomNPCs (1.7.10b) and Tinker's Construct (1.7.10-1.7.1) when I try to open a crafting station. I don't see any obvious config issues, and everything works fine up to the point that I try to open the crafting station. When it does, it crashes every time. :-(

I'd really rather not lose either mod, but with no clear indication of the cause of the bug, I'm up a creek.

OpenEye doesn't have a crash report either. It just reports (null).

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
I really don’t understand how you and Vaal have the motivation to do All the buildings, I don't (and am a bit jealous of you for it :p )

Ahhh thanks! And I do like the comments here about CustomNPCs and filling your city in general with liveliness.

Also, the Stone Age is by far the most difficult. Once you get to Iron Age and can craft the area of effect tools from Tinkerer's Construct (Lumber Axe, Hammer, Excavator) the challenge gets TONS easier as collecting resources is not so much of a pain.

Until of course technology and quarries... hmm someday... I could program a ComputerCraft turtle to quarry though... Nah.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Didn't know there was thread on this one in these forums until now :D

This LP by thornofnight was the one I watched around this, rather interesting concept. He's a pretty good, and underrated youtuber.

Entire LP playlist for those interested in variety.

First episode:

On your suggestion, I watched ThornOfNight's series, and he's done a pretty decent job of it, though it looked to me like he started getting a little fried after about episode 11 (he calls it 10, as he'd accidentally recorded the real episode 10 without sound and couldn't fix it) and then pretty much stopped playing a month ago when he jumped over to Crash Landing/Material Energy/Agrarian Skies.

It's a pretty good effort up into the wooden settlement stage though. :) Thanks for sharing the link!

Update!: I heard back from ThornOfNight and he does still intend to move forward with his series! He indicated that he's extended an invitation out to another person to possibly join him on the series, but regardless of the outcome, he should have some new episodes up soon.

Very cool stuff. Speaking of, he did make an exception in his series where he's using a computercraft computer to keep track of his notes on what needs to be done. I find this to be pretty good, as he's made it clear he's not using the computer for anything else (at least not until it is age-appropriate) and it is way better than trying to build progress walls to keep track of that sort of thing.

I recall a mod that had a clipboard or checklist feature, but I can't remember offhand where it was from? Does anyone else know?[DOUBLEPOST=1414168612,1414037419][/DOUBLEPOST]I found it! Actually, what I was thinking of was from two separate mods, but it provides an age-friendly alternative for keeping track of progress.

From Bibliocraft: Clipboard
From Tinker's Construct: Drying Rack

The clipboard gives you a multi-page to-do list format with the ability to check off completed tasks, and is slightly easier to edit than in-game books.
The drying rack, as @VaalDeth discovered earlier on in his series, is really good at things other than drying out zombie flesh. It's great for displaying stuff.

So a set of drying racks and a clipboard for each rack could easily help a player keep track of their progress per age, without taking up an insane amount of space or having to bend the rules for a computer in the process.

ThornOfNight's keeping other notes not directly related to a checklist wouldn't be helped by this, but for others, it is something to consider.

Last edited:

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Got the first major section done.

Put a good bit of work into the Wood Settlement Residential section. That particular section is a little bare atm, but the way I got it to work is that I don't need to put everything on that particular page, like I did on the previous wiki. Now most of the information is on the Residential page, and you can see the Stage requirements at a glance.

Previously I had a decoration list basically every stage for every type of house. Now it's in one spot.

http://refugee-to-regent.wikia.com/wiki/Residential

That page also will be the home to the Noble/Crime Lord sections, probably.

Going to be working on getting more stages online over the next week or so, probably focusing on the Residential section for the time being, then probably shifting my focus to the Agricultural section.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Not at all sure if anyone is interested, but I've created a utility mod to run along with the Refugee to Regent Challenge.

Currently the mod is only a proof-of-concept dev build for 1.7.10 and forge 1230+, but I think I can pretty easily backport it to 1.7.2 or even 1.6.4 if there is any sort of demand for it.

It adds no new blocks or items to the game yet, and it should be SMP friendly.

Right now, all it does is applies a (configurable) detrimental effect for going significantly underground without a helmet on.
Hanging out under a tree or a small building should have no ill effects, but if you go under more than about 2-3 blocks of dirt/sand/gravel/stone your fear of cave-ins will kick in if you aren't wearing a helmet.

Currently, the negative effects applied are Blindness or Nausea (or both, if you're really evil).

Once you return to a safe area (where you can see the sky), the effects wear off pretty quickly.

For guinea pigs brave souls with 1.7.10 and forge 1230+ who want to try it out and give me some feedback, you can find the mod at CurseForge.

Last edited:

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Dirt Hovelites, rejoice. You gain an extra 2 blocks before you need a support in the Hovel! Also, I'm going to allow basements in Hovels, but they carry extra support rules, and require the basement's ceiling to be completely covered in wood--amongst other things. Also dumping the rule that says you have to abandon your Hovel, and I'm trying to figure out a way to dump the Y-level restrictions (heh, sorry Sensei).

I kind of want to do it with equipment requirements that get lifted as you progress (Helmet lets you go down to Y level [x], Helmet+Breastplate=Y Level [x], etc). Say, you drop one piece of equipment at Stone Hamlet (Wood Settlement?), and lose one additional piece every stage after. And for every Mining Outlier you build you learn more about mining safely--the space between supports is increased and you lose a piece of safety equipment.

.......ooooooooooh.........that opens up all kinds of additional options with other kinds of Outliers.

I'm also going to be loosening construction rules for the Hovels themselves, including allowing a few Logs (no Planks) to be used (instead of logs only for supports), but it would remain largely Dirt/Clay/Sand/etc. Dirt must be 90% of the Hovel in the Dirt Hovel Stage, with the requirement reduced to 50% (may change) in Wood Settlement forward

I'm also considering (Why do I always say that? I always mean "going to be") adding the ability to make Hovels for your Immigrants. Support rules would be different in Wood and further.

RL has been a bit busy so I haven't gotten as much done as I wanted (but I have a job interview tomorrow, so I'll have money coming in again woo), so here's what I have so far:

http://refugee-to-regent.wikia.com/wiki/Dirt_Hovel

It's still a little rough, and various sections will be moved around (post-Dirt Hovel stuff will be moved to the bottom of the Hovel section), and other improvements will be made--in addition to more content, of course.

Last edited:

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Update on my utility mod based on Maul_Junior's latest comments...

v0.1.2 - Added alternate game mode

Selecting gameMode=0 in config will enable original version of mod, which causes negative effects to players not wearing helmets venturing more than just a little bit underground. Wearing a helmet disables these effects for the player.

Selecting gameMode=1 in config will enable an alternative ruleset, in which a player can venture up to 9 blocks below the surface with no ill effects. To venture more than 10 blocks below the surface, a helmet must be equipped. To venture more than 20 blocks, a chestpiece must also be equipped, for 30 blocks, leggings must be added, and for 40 or more blocks, a full armor set must be worn.

Note that this is a top-down thing. If you lose your chestpiece, regardless of whatever leggings or shoes you have on, you cannot venture more than 19 blocks below the surface without suffering negative effects.

Effects have been expanded:
Code:
    B:useBlindEffect=false
    B:useConfusedEffect=false
    B:useFatiguedEffect=true
    B:useSlowedEffect=true

useBlindEffect - Causes the Blindness effect for 10 seconds. Will refresh as long as armor requirements not met.
useConfusedEffect - Causes the Nausea effect for 10 seconds. Will refresh as long as armor requirements not met.
useFatiguedEffect - Causes the Mining Fatigue effect for 10 seconds. Will refresh as long as armor requirements not met.
useSlowedEffect - Causes the Slowed effect for 10 seconds. Will refresh as long as armor requirements not met.

You can enable/disable any combination of these to make the penalties vary from mildly inconvenient to truly evil, depending on your mood. The Mining Fatigue effect is a full-on fatigue, preventing any survival-mode block breaking while it is active.

Todo:
Add functionality to track which stage each player is in. This will allow me (among other things) to reduce the armor requirements as the stages increase.

The current version of the mod can be downloaded from CurseForge

Edit: Effects are per-player. So in a multiplayer world, each player is affected by their own armor equipped state, as well as (soon-to-be-implemented) what challenge stage they are in.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Rule Change: Iron Buckets may now be crafted in Stone Hamlet, because liquid transportation is difficult otherwise. Plus, you know, Tinker's Construct and Lava. heh.

Update on my utility mod based on Maul_Junior's latest comments...

v0.1.2 - Added alternate game mode

Selecting gameMode=0 in config will enable original version of mod, which causes negative effects to players not wearing helmets venturing more than just a little bit underground. Wearing a helmet disables these effects for the player.

Selecting gameMode=1 in config will enable an alternative ruleset, in which a player can venture up to 9 blocks below the surface with no ill effects. To venture more than 10 blocks below the surface, a helmet must be equipped. To venture more than 20 blocks, a chestpiece must also be equipped, for 30 blocks, leggings must be added, and for 40 or more blocks, a full armor set must be worn.

Note that this is a top-down thing. If you lose your chestpiece, regardless of whatever leggings or shoes you have on, you cannot venture more than 19 blocks below the surface without suffering negative effects.

Effects have been expanded:
Code:
    B:useBlindEffect=false
    B:useConfusedEffect=false
    B:useFatiguedEffect=true
    B:useSlowedEffect=true

useBlindEffect - Causes the Blindness effect for 10 seconds. Will refresh as long as armor requirements not met.
useConfusedEffect - Causes the Nausea effect for 10 seconds. Will refresh as long as armor requirements not met.
useFatiguedEffect - Causes the Mining Fatigue effect for 10 seconds. Will refresh as long as armor requirements not met.
useSlowedEffect - Causes the Slowed effect for 10 seconds. Will refresh as long as armor requirements not met.

You can enable/disable any combination of these to make the penalties vary from mildly inconvenient to truly evil, depending on your mood. The Mining Fatigue effect is a full-on fatigue, preventing any survival-mode block breaking while it is active.

Todo:
Add functionality to track which stage each player is in. This will allow me (among other things) to reduce the armor requirements as the stages increase.

The current version of the mod can be downloaded from CurseForge

Edit: Effects are per-player. So in a multiplayer world, each player is affected by their own armor equipped state, as well as (soon-to-be-implemented) what challenge stage they are in.

yay. wasn't sure how hard it would be to change your mod. This new ruleset will let people go directly to Diamond level without hampering their builds. FYI I'll probably keep the Helmet requirement (regardless of stages progressed/Outliers built) up until the last few stages.

On another note, I think, since I tend to be quite rambly in updatey-type posts, I'm going to start using Spoiler tags to help keep people suffering from Wall O' Text allergies (You're welcome), and to keep me from rambling from idea to idea and then back to the first idea then the third again and oh COOL! something SHINY IneedthatpuppywhatamItalkingaboutagain?

No, I'm not going to go back through every post and insert spoilers. That would be at least a hundred posts that ramble and ramble and ramble. Don't be evil >.< :p

Way down-post I mention "Nether Stone Hamlet Requirements." It's not written yet but basically any Outlier in the Nether will have additional requirements, because it is the Nether. The End will have additional requirements too (more than Nether, possibly).

I will not be writing official requirements for mod-added dimensions. Not for a LOOOONG while (if I ever do), anyway. However, if you wish to write them, I will put them up on a page on the wiki and give you guys credit. And don't limit yourselves to "Poster A wrote Deep Dark already, so I won't bother" or "I already wrote one for Twilight Forest but I have this other, awesome idea." I'll put them all up. Just keep in mind power levels/intended purpose of the mod (for example, Nether will require Ghast protection, additional military, etc; End will require lots of military to deal with Endermen, Dragon protection [until/unless it's killed]). In fact, feel free to write up Nether/End requirements too.

Expansion Outliers will be somewhere between Stone Hamlet and Iron Village in scope, so they're not too much of a pain to build.

Things to take note of:

These requirements would be ADDED ONTO the standard requirements for a stage.

Every type of Outlier (except Fortification) Outliers provide their food/bonuses to any city in your Nation/Kingdom/Empire regardless of distance.

If you want to employ the Rule of Cool, you can limit yourself via range per Outlier, but that will probably not end up in the final ruleset (or give you mega points for doing so).

Agricultural (Bonuses Empire-wide):

Default Food per person: X (will have final value soon)
Total Food plots per farmer/rancher/orchard master/etc: Y

Outlier Expansion per Outlier:

Food/Capita: X-1 (minimum value=3-4/Capita)
Food Tending Capacity/Agricultural Capita: Y+10
Kennel/Stables: Z+3 to 5

Mining (Bonuses Empire-wide):

1 Fewer piece of "Safety Equipment (armor)" per Outlier
+5 Blocks between supports per Outlier

Fortification (Bonuses to cities of whom any touch their radius):

Fortification Outliers hold no specific bonuses, but they allow for the housing of personell and supplies in a centralized location away from the cities that you are building. There will still need to be minimal on-site storage of weaponry and short-term bunking, but nothing like what housing 100% of your military in the specific Outlier/Capital would otherwise be. Walls bonuses remain on a per-city basis, and are not included in the Fortification coverage.

Personal Guards for both your estate and for Noble Lords may be housed in a Fortification Outlier, instead of on your/their estates. However, the Fortification Outliers for Personal Guards may not be the same outliers as your Nation/Kingdom/Empire's army/navy/air force. Personal Guard and Nation/Kingdom/Empire bonuses do NOT stack. One is professional military guarding the entire populace, the other is a (hopefully) professional army guarding only a few. You/they would still require a small armory and 1 bunk per W personal guards on the estate, but you would have more space to build.

1 Outlier=500 Block Radius
+250 Blocks for every Fortification Outlier in your Empire
2000 Block Radius max
+V number of horses required per Outlier in the Radius

Note: The 2k block radius will probably be knocked down to 1k radius (but not much further). 2k seems a bit OP--this is a prototype atm.

PLEASE give me feedback re: Fortification Outliers. I realize this is the section that will need to be tweaked the most.

Technology:

Limited to 1 Tech Outlier per Stage, starting in Iron Village. Tech Outliers must be built to at least a Stone Hamlet

Outlier 1=Redstone Resonance Expansion. Built to Stone Hamlet requirements. Requires 2-6 buildings dedicated to technology.

Outlier 2=unlocks further technology. Built to Expansion Outlier requirements. Requires 5-10 buildings dedicated to technology. Requires power plant. Outlier 2's power plant may feed the rest of the Empire, if desired, but Outlier 2 must supply all of its own energy needs first

Outlier 3=Unlocks all technology. Built to Iron Village Requirements. Requires 10-16 buildings dedicated to technology. Outlier 3 requires an additional power plant to feed its own power requirements. Outlier 3's power plant may feed the rest of the Empire, if desired, but Outlier 3 must supply all of its own energy needs first.

Magic:

Limited to 1 Magic Outlier per Stage, starting in Iron Village. Magic Outliers must be built

Outlier 1=Glowstone Germination Expansion. Built to Nether Stone Hamlet Requirements. Requires 2-6 buildings dedicated to a specific form(s) of magic. Basic magic may be used, Mystcraft linking books may be used/written. Portals to mod dimensions [and The End, if desired] may now be made. Mystcraft Portals/Better Portals may not be used.

If Mod Pack includes alternate Dimensions (Promised Land, Deep Dark, Twilight Forest, Mystcraft, etc). This is written with Mystcraft/Better Portals specifically in mind.

Outlier 2=unlocks further magic. Built to Expansion Outlier requirements in both the Overworld and a dimension of your choice. Any type of Portals may now be used (including The End, if desired). Requires 5-10 buildings dedicated to magic.

Outlier 3=Unlocks all magic. Built to Iron Village Requirements, built in 3 dimensions if your mod(s)/mod pack is capable of it. 1 Dimension must be the Overworld, contain an End Portal (End Portal does not need to be activated). Neither of the other 2 Dimensions may be the Nether, nor the Outlier 2 dimension. Requires 10-16 buildings dedicated to magic.

Outlier 3 if no mods/no additional dimensions are possible=Same as original Outlier 3, except the Outlier must span The End, the Nether, and the Overworld.

It is recommended (though not required) that The End not be either of the Dimensions. This is so you don't feel you have to conquer the Ender Dragon early--instead, do it at your own pace, but still have everything you need for when you do finally take on The End.

are 3 expansions to unlock all magic/tech enough? If you think it's too much, tough tiddly, I'm not dropping it below 3.

the Transportation Outliers will probably follow this same formula--once Portals are unlocked a Nexus Outlier may be made....this will be in the Transportation section. Other Transportation Outlier ideas may be the Empire/Kingdom/Nation's food/item storage Outlier, Liquid Storage Outlier, Power Storage Outlier, etc.

[DOUBLEPOST=1414725527][/DOUBLEPOST]
Glad to see this is still very active and being updated :D

Forgot to reply to you. My bad.

Always good to hear from another fan!

[DOUBLEPOST=1414726627][/DOUBLEPOST]Yes, Power Plants count as a building. Yes, different types of power generation may count as different buildings.

Smaller than most other outliers. However, with every Outlier you build after the first one gains the Criminals more and more power. for seafaring Criminals, this means bigger and better ships. For landlubber Criminals, this means more and better equipped numbers of men.

In general, purely landlubbr Criminals will have more men. But seafaring (or airfaring!) Criminals (Smugglers, Pirates, Air Smugglers, Air Pirates etc) will have ships (and Air Ships!). (.....and better equipped?)

I have a list of criminal types up somewhere.

Types of Criminals
Bandits (Non-City Dwellers)
Pirates

Smugglers

Thieves

Thugs (City Dwellers)

Assassins

Criminal Groups (for inspiration)
Thieves Guild (Gambit/Marvel Comics)

League of Assassins/Shadows (DC Comics, Talia/Ra'as al Ghul)

Assassins (Altair, Ezio; Assassin's Creed)

Templars (Assassin's Creed)

Smuggler's Alliance (Talon Karrde, Mara Jade, Star Wars Expanded Universe)

United States Congress (U.S. Constitution)
Feel free to mix them up.

.....saaaaay........

a League of Air Pirate Smuggler [Magical/Technological] Assassins.
[DOUBLEPOST=1414732524][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, dropping Thugs from the Crime list because I just suddenly realized that Thieves cover the city-dwelling Bandit area pretty well >.<

scroll down to the Crime section for links to the various kinds of criminals, who have a rough draft of their progression.

Danger scale in my head is:

Assassins
Pirates
Smugglers (placed here on this list mainly because they would be better equipped than those on the list below them, not that they would necessarily seek out fights)
Bandits
Thieves

Last edited:

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Code:
Mining (Bonuses Empire-wide):

1 Fewer piece of "Safety Equipment (armor)" per Outlier
+5 Blocks between supports per Outlier

On this, I'm thinking that +5 blocks between supports per outlier could get kinda far-fetched rather quickly. That's a LOT of space between supports after just 2 outliers. Try visualizing it in a test tunnel and you should see what I'm getting at. Maybe a +2/+3 instead?

As for the Magic/Tech unlocking bit with outliers, I think that's a brilliant way to go about it. Perhaps something along the way of outlier 1 lets you introduce 1 new tech mod, where that outlier (and it's requisite buildings) are where you focus on developing it. Outlier 2 would allow you to add 2 more tech mods, same idea -- outlier 3 would then fully unlock all tech mods. Same thing would apply for the magic side.

If you wanted more of a steam punk theme, maybe let an outlier develop both, but the outlier would have to be correspondingly larger as a consequence - like being developed to Iron Village level minimum.

Reactions: VaalDeth

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Loving all the progress! Here is my latest episode, the last of the construction during my Iron age!!!!!!!

Soon we will have a nice tour of the city as it stands before venturing into the wonders of the Golden Age.

I hope you all enjoy, my episodes may slow down a bit here over the holidays but no fear. I'm not going anywhere. <3

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hmmm... Turns out I forgot to post the last two episodes!

Figuring out the T-Flip-flops for the City Gates:

The start of 1.7.10:

Oh by the way I've been looking at Enviromine and parts of look great for the challenge.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...enviromine-a-little-bit-of-realism-1-7-10-new

There are two specific things:
- Physics requiring you to add supports for any poorly supported roofs. Without proper support your buildings will fall down and mineshafts collapse. Much like adding support beams in the challenge rules.
- Air quality when underground. Simiar to our requirement to have a helmet the air gets bad down there causing negative efffects.

It has a starter wiki too that's helping me wrap my head around it for my playthough.

https://github.com/Funwayguy/EnviroMine/wiki/Sanity

Last edited:

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
It looks like an interesting (re)start you have yourself there, Mobius!

I have CustomNPCs working well in my 1.7.10 pack, so hopefully you get that figured out soon. I think I needed to modify a single enchantment ID in the CustomNPCs config file (from 100 to 101 I believe) and everything worked great.

Edit: I changed this line from 100 to 101 to fix my error.
Code:
#Start Id for enchants
EnchantStartId=101

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
so......I have my prototype table up on the Residential page.

Was looking in the wrong place for a place to add a table. Hope to have more stuff up soon.

Probably gonna redo the Table so you don't need to scroll.

Moved all Decoration information into a table format for easier viewing. Simplified the basic Dwelling/Apartment/Slum information into a table.

Here's what I have now:

Basic Dwelling=Bedroom, Kitchen, 1 more Room
Apartment=Bedroom, 1 more Room
Slum=1 Room

The stages will add on room requirements on top of this (which wil not be static per stage, but different for each type each stage, so you don't see Slums that have tons of rooms, or Dwellings be super tiny).

My discovery of the Classic Editor is REALLY helping me out, here. the basic editor they have SUCKS.

Sorry, bullet points. we're breaking up, mostly. Tables are my sweet baboo now. I'll still use you on the forums though, probably. I don't see an option for that, but I'm not looking too hard.

I have Vaal/Mobius, and thornofnight's videos on the front page of the wiki, now.

Seeing as how they blend in so nicely, I may toss a video here and there into the various sections to break up the wall of text/tables, if you guys don't mind.

No more multi-post automerge? I am dissapoint.

Table-fied the Wooden Settlement page, and put in some new stuff while I was at it.

Geeze. it's amazing how much simpler and easier to read the tables make it. Not going back.

oh and new ruling:

Any Purely-Aesthetic block may be crafted in any stage

However, if tools/blocks that you use to build the block are not allowed in your current stage, you must put away the tools/blocks until you can use them. If a block may be used for purposes other than aesthetics, it's still banned.

The Vanilla Record Player may be built at any time if you so choose.

This is mainly for pre-Iron Village Bibliocraft stuff, but also applies to Redstone, Glowstone item/block requirements.

And, I have to admit, this is a little bit selfish of me because I'm about to try to start another run, probably, with only Custom NPCs, JABBA, and Bibliocraft installed. I kind of really want to add Natura for the giant trees, but I'm going to try to resist the urge for now, and try to delve back into Vanilla for a while.

I'm going to be using some of the more esoteric (for this challenge, at least) aspects of Custom NPCs--namely the Bank--I'll allow myself one double-chest "slot" per Item Storage person I have in a given Outlier (or my Capital), I'll probably give Nobles their own Banks (probably 2 slots because they're Noble) if I can find enough stuff to put in their "personal inventory", Transporters once I get magic up and running (when and only when I have a portal set up, and then only to the other side of the portal), set up a Marketplace with fully functional Traders (it's been a while since I toyed with Custom NPCs, so if they give me something for nothing then not, but if they exchange an item for an item then probably), and try to get my crafting set up so that I can go to a certain person's house for all my crafting needs of that type.

With the Fancy Crafting Bench/recipes from Bibliocraft for quick recipe help. I may even try to get a recipe of every item/block I commonly use made up and stored in bookshelves/crafting benches of the various craftsmen's homes.

Possibly eventually make a Butler that gives me armor/tools if I don't have any atm.

If I decide to add another mod in the near future it would probably be Chisel or something like it.[/spoler]

Last edited: