[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I decided to finally get down to building, and so the Builders' Wand is coming into play. I find a lot of the unstable ingot tools to be quite extreme at this stage and better relegated to lapis or diamond, but under the rule of cool I could justify having this wand for the immense progress it lets me make.

Most of the Gold City stage so far has been building up infrastructure to build more. It's only really here that any sort of automation has been opening up. Slow and clunky automation, with some vanilla workarounds, but automation all the same.

With the prison block now spawning mobs I figured having an altar on top would keep us in life points for some time. Not entirely true as I don't see a way to automate the process at this stage but with the glowstone expansion coming up progress is being made.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
*sigh*... I think it's time to start over with the challenge. My save files from the past week have been unrecoverable. I guess I swapped in and out too many mods.

Still, there is something to say about starting fresh!

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Yeah. I've been doing this from nearly the beginning.

I imagine some parts of the build may be recoverable. For some special event I can bring in the ruins of my old city once I get far enough.

Here is the last episode from the ill fated regency:

Nothing too special either, just setting up some sludge boiling and a tree farm.

Reactions: Senseidragon

reesylou

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all. I have just discovered this awesome looking challenge. I have read a decent chunk of the thread, and know that most of you use custom packs. I enjoy playing modded games, but have no interest in putting a pack of my own together.... mostly because I don't know enough of the mod well enough to know what would be fun together or clash and so on.

So, having said that, could you guys recommend a FTB pack that would work well... or even better, post your own pack that I could use. Thanks

Reactions: Monarch_of_Gold

fimbrethil

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all. I have just discovered this awesome looking challenge. I have read a decent chunk of the thread, and know that most of you use custom packs. I enjoy playing modded games, but have no interest in putting a pack of my own together.... mostly because I don't know enough of the mod well enough to know what would be fun together or clash and so on.

So, having said that, could you guys recommend a FTB pack that would work well... or even better, post your own pack that I could use. Thanks

You're welcome to check mine out, it's Rags to Riches on the Curse launcher. It's mostly the same, just minor changes. I'll be updating fairly regularly with new stages, a few other projects sidetracked me the past couple of weeks but I have a new update already written and I should be done updating by next week. Mostly I just need to narrate the new sections.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Infinity, Resonant Rise, Direwolf20, Unstable, Monster... basically you want a pack that has a few options for magic and tech, and some supporting mods to glue it together and provide pretties.

reesylou

Jul 29, 2019
You're welcome to check mine out, it's Rags to Riches on the Curse launcher. It's mostly the same, just minor changes. I'll be updating fairly regularly with new stages, a few other projects sidetracked me the past couple of weeks but I have a new update already written and I should be done updating by next week. Mostly I just need to narrate the new sections.
Curse Launcher? Not the FTB launcher?...... *heads off to hunt up the curse launcher*

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Infinity, Resonant Rise, Direwolf20, Unstable, Monster... basically you want a pack that has a few options for magic and tech, and some supporting mods to glue it together and provide pretties.

I don't know if I'd agree with that 100%.

I think as time goes on in a world and you get more things built, you run the risk of increased lag from everything that gets created if you aren't mindful of what you're putting down. Some mods are pretty good about this, some are downright awful when you get more than a few of them placed. I would shy away from most kitchen-sink packs for this reason, and stick with something that gives you a few options without throwing everything at you.

The HermitPack 1.10.2 looks like it might be a good pack to start with if you want to go with a more recent version of Minecraft. You can find that link here on the FTB site or on the Curse launcher. I'd much prefer Rotarycraft over some of the other options, but hey, you get what is available. :rolleyes:

reesylou

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks to Regrowth pack walking me through the magic stuff, I have a better idea how some of those work, but I only got part way through that (I must go bad and give it a try again) so don't know the late game stuff. The tech is even worse than that.... I can get a basic tinker's setup going (tool tables etc and smeltery), but much more than that and I am looking to google. I will give Rags to Riches a play - I like the idea of the flavour text and so on.

reesylou

Jul 29, 2019
@fimbrethil I tried the pack, but it was very laggy - too laggy to play. I am hoping it was just worldgen stuff, so will give it another go later. My laptop is pretty beefy and handles every other pack I have tried without issue (including the FTB Infinity skyblock). If you have any ideas on tweaks to speed it (other than the standard MC particle/graphics stuff) then I would be keen to hear them :)

fimbrethil

Jul 29, 2019
@fimbrethil I tried the pack, but it was very laggy - too laggy to play. I am hoping it was just worldgen stuff, so will give it another go later. My laptop is pretty beefy and handles every other pack I have tried without issue (including the FTB Infinity skyblock). If you have any ideas on tweaks to speed it (other than the standard MC particle/graphics stuff) then I would be keen to hear them :)

I haven't had that problem yet in my test playthrough, but it may be the creatures mod causing an issue. Maybe try removing Animals Plus from the mods folder, it's sort of just for flavor. I may end up removing that one anyway, since it's not quite what I was hoping for.

reesylou

Jul 29, 2019
That makes it slow but playable. Thanks. I still have the problem that any time I click anything in my inventory (eg to craft with it) it gets dropped. I thought it could be a lag thing, but now that has improved it is still occurring

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I've had that happen before (dropping clicked items), and not just with @fimbrethil's pack. Not sure what causes it, nor have I pinned down exactly what fixes it.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I just switched to basing my pack off of the 1.10.2 Hermitpack. Cutting edge!

I finally got around to loading the full pack, and updating several of the mods to their current versions. However I noticed a LOT of game lag from what I'm used to. What kind (if any) game lag are you noticing?

Ultimately I had to take out the Tech Reborn and Actually Additions stuff as they were contributing most to my slow gameplay.

(I'm not on a slow machine by any means, so when I get really bad performance, that's saying something.)

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I finally got around to loading the full pack, and updating several of the mods to their current versions. However I noticed a LOT of game lag from what I'm used to. What kind (if any) game lag are you noticing?

Ultimately I had to take out the Tech Reborn and Actually Additions stuff as they were contributing most to my slow gameplay.

(I'm not on a slow machine by any means, so when I get really bad performance, that's saying something.)

I took out Tech Reborn and IC2 (yeah I know) but overall it plays fine. Not noticing any real lag.