[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone! I'm back to dirt in a new world. It's sometimes really nice to just start over.

As for the rules I'm currently mishmashing the new wiki rules with the old in order to get the the best feeling out of the build and to keep myself engaged.

I'm following the basic challenge and pulling in some of the expansions/extra challenges just for some inspiration.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hey Mobius, you should try breaking more flowers.. you keep passing by flax flowers that make string when you harvest.. more string = more wool.. :)

Anywho, I gave up on my world I started.. something got corrupted when I had a power outage.. I'm going to wait for a bit on the 1.10 mods before I try this again :)

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Actually I think the 1.10.2 modspace is shaping up pretty good right now. I fiddled with the HermitCraft pack for a bit, but never got the framerates I liked with it, so I started one from scratch right from the Curse launcher (custom profile).

It largely has many of the same mods as HermitCraft, with a few changes here and there -- but the performance thus far has been pretty nice. I'm usually consistently around 60-90fps without any Optifine or Betterfps shenanigans. I'm at about 80ish mods, mostly oriented to an R2R type pack. As long as you aren't silly and throw in everything willy-nilly, you can actually put together a pretty decent 1.10.2 pack without a lot of hassle. This framerate is also while running Open Broadcaster to capture my gameplay (1920x1080 downsampled to 1280x720) at the same time.

One thing I'm puttering with (haven't decided if I like it or not) is MineColonies for 1.10.2. It's still very much an Alpha mod, but it could be entertaining.

I also tried the RPG Races mod (and the Fantasy Races addon for it) just to see what it was like. It has potential, but I don't think it is quite there yet.

Currently I'm running with Mekanism as the major tech mod, but I haven't ruled out swapping to something else if I get better playability with another mod. I don't want to run the risk of not having enough end-game content when I eventually get there, but I'm not ready to go all Draconic Evolution on it either. :)

Blood Magic and Botania pretty much have the magic side covered, at least until Thaumcraft makes a 1.10.2 appearance. I liked what I saw of it in 1.8.9, hopefully it ports forward.

Psi is cool, but not personally my cup of tea. Quark is nifty.

Custom NPCs is available for 1.10.2, and seems to work pretty well so far.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hey Mobius, you should try breaking more flowers.. you keep passing by flax flowers that make string when you harvest.. more string = more wool.. :)

Anywho, I gave up on my world I started.. something got corrupted when I had a power outage.. I'm going to wait for a bit on the 1.10 mods before I try this again :)

Thanks, I definitely wasn't cluing into flax at the time as a source of string!

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
One thing I'm puttering with (haven't decided if I like it or not) is MineColonies for 1.10.2. It's still very much an Alpha mod, but it could be entertaining.

Very interesting. I may check that out too.

Custom NPCs is available for 1.10.2, and seems to work pretty well so far.

Also yay! I like that mod even if I seem to lose my NPCs every so often. Makes for great placeholder.

I'm hoping Bibliocraft gets ported but apparently there is some problem with rotations/scaling/translations that needs sorting out.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I really hope the Minecolonies folks keep moving forward with their mod, it really does have potential to be good. It's just not quite there yet.

Between Minecolonies and Custom NPCs, I'm pretty happy. If I ever got bukkit/spigot compatability, I'd really like to get Citizens/Denizens functionality, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Looking forward to more episodes of your series, Mobius. It's pretty fun to watch!

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Progress Report:

Still in the dirt phase I dug about in the local area looking for clay and found a nice little village and a hill nearby with some animals:

Moving on to an "uncut" episode. These episodes are mostly just resource gathering in this case I was looking for blue dye for my banner.

Next we get onto the Wood settlement stage and may I say "yay tools!". I go looking for saplings to grow for material variety.

Another uncut episode this time just planting the saplings I gathered and planning where the settlement will start

And last bit of this update I start working on the first settlement building, a farm house and the farm to go with it

Reactions: Senseidragon

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Hey guys! It's been a while! For some reason I'm not getting push notifications on my tablet. Weird.

So I've been playing through the Castle Building Challenge in TFC. I've just gotten into the Stone/Bronze age. Because TFC is weird, I've settled on the following progression setup:

• Wood Age = Copper tools (first full tool set)
  • Stone Age = Bronze tools (several different alloys containing copper)
  • Iron Age = Wrought Iron tools (very realistic process)
  • Gold Age = Steel
  • Diamond Age = Black Steel
  • Emerald Age (?) = Blue and Red Steel
I'll come back later and add pictures. Too tired right now.

[EDIT]

Somehow found inspiration to share pics! Enjoy!

Blahhh Imgur is dowwwnnnn!!!! :(

Last edited:

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Pokes @The Mobius Archives in true Navi fashion. "Hey, listen!"

Are you getting backlogged with the holidays, or did a Turkey abscond with your latest video submissions? ;)

Personally, I'm suspecting you're behind by about 2 submissions.

I've been absconded myself but was able to get some videos scheduled to come out.

First I rarely ever get around to posting decoration and finish-up videos but the "uncut" episodes (in quotes because they really are edited) let me show some of the finishing touches on the farm house. More to come still.

The next episode I start building with inspiration from Better Creepers and Gardens using some of the new wood that I've found. Just a bedroom for now but enough to establish my Wood Settlement era home.

Lastly some exploration and trying my hand at surviving a Roguelike Dungeon. I also find a lavender field.

There's one more video coming out later today to keep you on the edge ;)

Reactions: Senseidragon

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So Imgur is being a lot more friendly today. We'll start the 4-part picture semi-mega post!

So, like any TFC challenge, it all started with sticks, stones, and a little bit of hay.

Your first days in TFC are never comfortable. I started mine like most everyone does: surrounded by thatch.

2AHQx0m.png

The next day I made it a little bit larger and started working on some of my first copper tools (I'm assuming that's what's in the pit kiln. I don't remember).

bZAbJ5M.png

X3BcE2V.png

ffVQPv8.png

Before I decided that there was plenty of space where I was, I thought about moving south to a larger, flatter location.

Dia4b2q.png

0Fmdkb0.png

Ultimately I decided my spot had plenty of room.

So then I started firing up more pottery and tools in more pit kilns.

XsialQs.png

zFnWQNO.png

Those are the results of my labor (blue specks are rain, I think).

Thus sort-of ending the stone age.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So then I started working on finding more copper and fulfilling some other requirements (Wood/Copper - Part 1)

So this starts with a pic of my attempts to mine some surface copper underneath a sort of hill overhang. This was ultimately named "Nope Cavern" because of gravity, but it is still a nice source of copper when I need it. The thick thing is a beam and my attempt at making the area safer to work in.

s2YESpd.png

1CJdHBK.png

I then started working on some food to meet the requirements. I've decided 10 lbs of items more than suffices (..or 160 oz - a full stack).

GtDaxSm.png

These trees are nice and even. I originally thought I'd work them into the castle but my designs haven't included them.. yet. They'll probably be part of the royal garden.

mKyJaen.png

Somewhere near Nope Cavern is a hill full of red and yellow stuff. I'm not sure what it's used for... (I'll probably unlock gold usage next stage since rose gold is a tier lower than iron)

5v0Riu2.png

I then started thinking about making a bed, so I hunted down some sheep.

5Oxpap6.png

Found a copper vein of poor quality near where I found the sheep:

2wbxCc5.png

Healed myself up a little bit in a hot spring:

ezlRR1v.png

And then tried doing some cooking (cooking functions modified by Cooking w/ TFC).

AZXy2qu.png

uFeQ38Y.png

My pile of logs at the time:

YKeuliI.png

Found more copper....

YFVSjJg.png

Why it's called Nope Cavern:

zODy14n.png

Copper on the beach:

x3SlG8A.png

Animal requirement fulfilled.

m7CHWnD.png

General map of the area:

SHgCSFa.png

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
After a while I decided I needed a house. (Wood/Copper Stage - Part 2)

UcDam96.png

So I started building the walls.

s6j8C01.png

And it started raining before I could finish.

Fulfilled tool requirement:

o2OA8Ga.png

axm3T3Z.png

RY9vvLt.png

Finished house, just needs a ceiling (birch is ugly!!)

Y9kfqZF.png

The covered spawn point.

HqRhWzH.png

Hand-drawn map of the base. Just missing the clay deposit.

dudUf7W.png

MugQg2N.png

The finished wall.

BMNL9a2.png

This is just an interesting landform. A shoreline cliff, ravine, and mountain all meeting up.

xE7mhJr.png

I changed the year length to 360 days, so I should be able to grow some crops before winter.

Berry bushes (intentionally linked so you can read the description there).

oXicUSV.png

rOtTE1u.png

Overall pics of camp.

Hopefully that makes sense. Had to trim a lot of fluff because of image limits here. Ugh.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Now, with the Wood Stage finished, I can start planning my castle.

We'll start by cutting some of the fluff by showing a hand-drawn blueprint of the floorplan. Upper-left is the first floor, lower-right is all the roofs (rooves?)

pg4ToDH.png

Second floor features a balcony.

And now we can enjoy the completed build views:

qXel4Pg.png

gYcx3VU.png

fQqofXI.png

edpVbTz.png

r5zIxqe.png

4RyhWNn.png

oT0GotP.png

GgdA8Jd.png

2r8eFB0.png

rudVwkW.png

JgRcO8T.png

TsOLgpl.png

sKKwRO7.png

And obviously I'll be back with pics from the stone age! Hope you guys enjoyed (and sorry it had to be split up)!!

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
A bit of an update on Tunnel Kingdoms: Ever since I decided to go ahead and take advantage of 1.10, I've been watching the update thread for good mods to build the basic pack setup while I experimented with a different pack, and Roots is looking like a great choice for the Age of Druids magic path. Still not sure of the main technology path, but I may slap in Immersive Engineering just to fill in that hole and work from there.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So, according to schematica (thanks senseidragon for showing me that mod) it's going to take 1057 rhyolite brick blocks to construct my castle and 1034 hickory plank blocks (bye-bye, forest). Also 87 rhyolite brick walls (y'know, like the cobblestone walls in vanilla). The limestone requirement is tame - 298.

Lord help me. Keep the environmentalists away!!

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Think I've decided the easiest route for the stone, at least, will be to mine a quarry (also safest mining strategy, currently). As for the trees... I'll make up some stronger axes and wack away.

Good thing I've got a 360-day year right now.