[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Not necessarily seems like. Before I even made a thaumometer to scan for aspects and nodes two of the vials were almost full. I guess it would be from killing mobs since that's primarily what I've made the spells for.

Reactions: VaalDeth

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
I guess it would be from killing mobs since that's primarily what I've made the spells for.

Like Mobius said that is most likely, I personally am not using Ars Magica any longer but just Thaumcraft.

Are you adapting any particular challenge rules? I've thought about starting Space Engineers myself but I'm deep in Fallout right now :D

I'm staying away from Fallout just so I don't lose my life like Skyrim... at least not yet. I'm busy!

Anyway I'm not doing a challenge for Space Engineers, but trying to show a 'cinematic story-mode'. I've written up quite a plot and have plans on how to implement it with a mix of survival, mods, and the games 'creative/spectator' abilities. =)

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So episode 6 should be quite easy to edit since it's basically 3 hours of building that will be sped up. Since that's all it's gonna be, let's have a vote! What music do you wanna hear while I'm building? Quirky music, electronica stuff, my usual tracks, or something new and different?

[EDIT] I decided to speed the main building part of the episode up to ~16x the original speed so the episode is only going to be somewhere around 35 minutes long.

Last edited:

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone, the latest episode just went up. This time I've decided to continue on building out the Thaumic School this time working on what the Initiates have available to them.

Enjoy!

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
@Monarch_of_Gold I'm a bit late to the game, but I would suggest disabling the taint biome instead of trying to muck with spread mechanics.

Hilariously this is from my own reddit post asking other people if this would actually work :)

Set these two options in the thaumcraft.cfg file. Other options can be default, or whatever you want. This is sufficient to disable taint biomes from spawning at world generation, but will still allow the taint to spread via normal mechanics, assuming defaults in the other config options involving taint (obviously).

B:generate_taint=false
I:taint_biome_weight=0

Edit: This WOULD require a world regeneration, just so you know.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
And I've already got a fence around the chunk and two grown silverwoods and waiting on the other two. A bit late now. I figure once the silverwoods have spread their magical biomes we can turn it into a park. The ravine needed a fence around it anyway. Having a ravine that close to civilians without some kind of barrier is risky.

[EDIT] Once I'm a more established thaumaturd I figure I'll reenable taint spread but it will be more like 1/5000 instead of 1/200.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
So, I've begun my "challenge"

No vids as of yet, but I do have some "photographic evidence" of my trials...

I'm kind of role playing this... so here's the back story.

I have been ostracized from my clan. They call me a heretic for what I see in my minds eye. I speak blaspheme when I ask "Is there more than just wood and stone?"
The stone with coloured streaks in them cause a panic to those who shun me. They are to be avoided, and bad luck to the elders, I see potential...

The final straw, was when I told them of my visions of other worlds, one a burning Hades, another a dark sky with strange tall beings... a land filled with trees that grow so tall, and it is always on the edge of night...

I was drugged, and thrown on a long boat, kept in my stupor until I was left on a small skiff many days out to sea.

This is my record, my rise from nothing.. to.. something.. Just what that something is, I'm not sure yet...

http://imgur.com/a/CXe07

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
You guys remember me talking about all the chunk errors and how they were kinda everywhere and it was just a pain? Yeah. I think that was Thaumcraft's doing, and thanks to it I decided to try re-creating the world and seeing if that would tell me what was going on. I had a sinking suspicion that Thaumcraft had changed the worldgen in such a way that it was trying to overlap two entirely different worlds generated from the same seed, and unfortunately my suspicion was correct.

The screenshot below is where the coordinates for the original Apple Valley Acres waypoint are in relation to the recreated world.

EYMmmnf.png

So it looks like I have some work to do. I guess in the end it'll be worth it if it means we can keep going. The only reason I was flying around the old world to begin with was because we were running out of space and I wanted to find more. Sadly I just found chunk errors and an ugly world. I'm currently in creative mode so I think I'll use Schematica to my advantage and re-print the houses and other buildings and stuff as-is and then try and (I guess) cheat in the items in all the chests and things. I have no idea what to do for the farm. Should I write down everything planted and how much?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Or just mark it as a lesson learned and restart. :) Sometimes the work involved in fixing a mess isn't worth the effort and just rebooting your series is easier.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
That right there is why I'm exceedingly careful with mods that alter the terrain generator in any way. This includes biomes that will generate in the overworld, because the terrain generator takes the biome into account when translating the perlin noise (gaussian? I honestly can't recall which one MC uses) into actual blocks ingame. If for some reason I want to remove a mod, I get chunk errors. If the mod doesn't respect the seed, I can't regenerate chunks (Buildcraft, I'm looking at you :mad:).

Luckily most of my favorite mods don't add overworld biomes, those that do I have disabled, or I couldn't remove them and then re-add them so they're considered "core" to the pack (Chromaticraft, for example. It MUST be in the world for initial generation or progress becomes impossible. You can't even workaround with RFTools or Mystcraft like nearly every other mod that has worldgen).

I'm with Sensei, I'd restart if I were you. It will take less effort than trying to fix the problem with MCEdit et al, and it will also let you utilize your experiences to do "better" for whatever values you prefer (faster, easier, simpler, more efficient, whatever). For instance, I fell into a ravine lava lake with an inventory full of base (really big backpacks are a double-edged sword). I had to restart, and I decided to just regen the world. You can bet I didn't fall into that ravine, and I also used it for lava power!

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Backups Baaack-ups! especially when adding and removing mods. I've violated the backup guideline once or twice and have almost always paid for it :( I'd use MC Edit only if there was a major chunk of work lost and fine-tuning placements was really worth the editing.

I've got to check out schematica especially it helps restore lost work.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Schematica let's you print buildings if you click on the respective button for it. We're already at the end of stage 2 so I don't want to restart, so I'm just going to turn all the buildings into schematics and let schematica print them out in the recreated world. I'll just take inventory of all the items I have and farms and things. So all I have to do is place the bulding, let schematica do its work, and cheat in item and replant farms.

Also, it's not like I don't have a backup of the original world, it's just that I've made so much progress since the backup that it would not be current and would be a waste of time for me. Since this world gives me more space, I'm happy with just printing and going from that.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mobius Archives

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Also, it's not like I don't have a backup of the original world, it's just that I've made so much progress since the backup that it would not be current and would be a waste of time for me. Since this world gives me more space, I'm happy with just printing and going from that.

That's cool :D If you want to get days of backups, depending on drive space and the like, consider AromaBackup. It'll take a world snapshot every couple hours of playtime or so. I've had unrecoverable worlds due to computer crashes and power outages and the mod has saved my butt so many times.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Like I said, I'm happy with more building space.

[EDIT] So schematica plants plants too. Tested it planting my farm in my designing world and it works! Yay!

Last edited: