[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Thaumcraft is working well. The only main issue now is the burden of reloading everything. Don't worry. All my buildings are firmly intact it's just it's a strain on my computer to have to go back and look for where to shove the TC stuff.

Also - I swear it generated 2x more coal than was originally in the ravine. I've also found a patch of what I think is taint right beside the ravine. How do I get rid of it? I know it's not good, I just don't know what it does.

Geez, there's so much stuff to do in the 7th episode now! (5 and 6 have been recorded and I'm working slowly on editing them).

I'm also noticing more lag (which I expected). I'm going to look at the mods I have installed and toss out the ones that won't break my game. I figure Iron Chests can go since we're going to be using Applied Energistics soon enough anyway (I'll transfer all my stuff to wooden chests and give myself back the resources before i remove it). I'm just not sure what else. *sigh* The trials of YouTubing.

Reactions: VaalDeth

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
I have also noticed when re-generating seeds that while the terrain / biome layout / village locations are the same between worlds, the actual makeup of the villages is different each time.

Natural Taint is a problem, and the only way to get 'rid' of it is by planting a Silverwood tree that transforms the area into a magical forest biome and 'purifies' the area for a number of blocks. I would disable the spreading of taint in your Thaumcraft 4 config files.

Good Luck and Best Regards!

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I feel like letting taint spread would add some extra challenge. Unless you're suggesting that that makes it so it never really goes away, which would suck.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I'm glad I actually watch through the parts of the episode before I make final edits and stuff. The second half of episode 5 was very close to suffering from serious footage lag (the footage tends to lag behind audio the longer I record). Thanks to mouse-clicks I was able to line everything back up again.

[EDIT] I swear something's wrong with Episode 5. The audio is misalligned again. *sigh* I think I'll fix it by just speeding it up so you can't really tell (we do some exploring). This is irritating.

[EDIT 2] I think it has something to do with coming in and out of fullscreen mode. Somehow things just mess up. I've realligned it again but I'm not sure how this'll cut into the other part of it. It may be a bit wonky and for that I apologize.

[EDIT 3] The second part of the 5th episode has now been fully edited so now all I have to do is smush the two parts together and save it.

[EDIT 4] It's now being saved. A thumbnail has been made.

Last edited:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Upload in progress. For the first time I had trouble getting YouTube to accept my thumbnail so I had to resize it. Huh. Guess it was over the filesize limit (2MB). I will edit this post with a link once it's been uploaded.

[EDIT] Fully uploaded and working :)

Last edited:
Reactions: The Mobius Archives

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone! I've been in a bit of a Fallout Fuge lately so the Refugee to Regent series is going to have a floating day as I start putting videos out daily.

In the latest episode we get back to the Thaumic Tree and begin dressing like a Thaumaturge.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So, due to dying in a bad spot and being unable to recover my items i had to load up a backup save from pre-thaumcraft. Now, though, I've set taint spread to 0 (because it grew to a large size quickly in my old world). Now it's spreading again and i don't know how. It started as a hardly noticeable blemish and now it's this big nasty patch of blackened grass. I have no idea how to make silverwoods grow faster than they were and i don't know why it's spreading when the config says it shouldn't be. The worst part is it's only a few meters away from where I've built the houses. In the old save I had put a fence around it to keep animals out with silverwood saplings on the outside. I am so confused. What can I do that doesn't require a lot of research? Also, I found a node underground. Could it be the cause even though it's somewhere near level 20?

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Taint will continue to spread in whatever chunk it originally spawned in, but won't normally spread beyond that chunk if you've turned the taint spread to 0.

However, infected critters can wander into new chunks and (presumably) infect them. At which point that entire new chunk can become tainted.

Also, if you have "Hard Nodes" enabled in Thaumcraft (I think by default it is on), you can get tainted nodes, which will also taint the chunk they are in.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I saw that in the config. In the version of the save I deleted I had a fence around the taint to keep the animals away from it because since I've regenerated the world there are suddenly more wonderful animals roaming around that i haven't seen in a while (rosesters, cows, horses) and the idea of dealing with tainted mobs/slimes is not a pretty one.

Is there a way to make silverwood trees grow faster? I'd kinda like to have it taken care of as soon as possible without having to get too far into thaumcraft off-camera.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Is there a way to make silverwood trees grow faster? I'd kinda like to have it taken care of as soon as possible without having to get too far into thaumcraft off-camera.

The Thaumcraft Hoe of Growth is fairly "early game" and the one thing I know of that will speed up the growth of Silverwood trees.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So I'm currently running around scanning various objects for different aspects. I've found two nodes. One I can scan and the other I can't because i have to figure out what makes movement. I've tried combinations of life and energy and a few other things and I don't have a clue. Also I noticed that when I use Ars Magica spells it fills my wand with vis. I have no idea how or why. Is this a mechanic hidden within thaumcraft that is only active when it detects ars magica? It's almost full of all the primary aspects and I haven't drained a single node anywhere. I've just been using another spell I crafted (creatively named Projectile Dig that also does force damage) for defense and mining (because it costs less mana which lets me level up faster). I am so confused.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I found it. I have forgotten what I scanned but I was able to discover it and then suddenly I can scan a load of other stuff. I found a few harmless nodes in the wild (and underground) as well as a pure one in a silverwood tree. There is also a sinister node underground. I wonder if it's in the chunk containing taint. If so, that could be my cause. I've also gone ahead and done some research into a few early-game mechanics. I think I've got the hang of it so at least I won't be wasting time in episodes.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I found it. I have forgotten what I scanned but I was able to discover it and then suddenly I can scan a load of other stuff. I found a few harmless nodes in the wild (and underground) as well as a pure one in a silverwood tree. There is also a sinister node underground. I wonder if it's in the chunk containing taint. If so, that could be my cause. I've also gone ahead and done some research into a few early-game mechanics. I think I've got the hang of it so at least I won't be wasting time in episodes.

From the Thaumcraft 4 Wiki:

Sinister nodes make the biome around them Eerie. These can spawn within an Obsidian Totem or other structures. They also double as a monster spawner for Furious Zombies, following the usual rules for monster spawners.

As opposed to:

Tainted nodes spread taint, changing the surrounding biome into tainted land. Nodes in tainted lands also become tainted, spreading the taint. Even after the node is destroyed, additional measures are needed to revert the tainted area.

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
From the Thaumcraft 4 Wiki:
Tainted nodes spread taint, changing the surrounding biome into tainted land. Nodes in tainted lands also become tainted, spreading the taint. Even after the node is destroyed, additional measures are needed to revert the tainted area.

Exactly! Those additional measures being Silverwood trees.

Glad you got your Taint understood Monarch, and glad you enjoy Thaumcraft, it is by far my favorite.

Now for my latest video, here is the latest episode of my Castle Construction Challenge!

I am also starting a cinematic RP Solo Survival Let's Play for Space Engineers... if you guys haven't seen this game yet... you should!

I've also started posting walkthroughs of the games Tutorials on my channel. Hope you all enjoy!

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Huh. Then it makes no sense whatsoever for that chunk to be tainted because I don't see any above-ground nodes in the chunk. I'm also still curious about how my wand is filling up from casting AM spells.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Also I noticed that when I use Ars Magica spells it fills my wand with vis. I have no idea how or why. Is this a mechanic hidden within thaumcraft that is only active when it detects ars magica? It's almost full of all the primary aspects and I haven't drained a single node anywhere. I've just been using another spell I crafted (creatively named Projectile Dig that also does force damage) for defense and mining (because it costs less mana which lets me level up faster). I am so confused.

If you kill mobs they drop aspect orbs that fill the wand. If you are using the Ars Magica spell to kill mobs it may just seem like it's filling the wand. If you're not killing mobs and it's causing your wand to fill then your guess is as good as mine right now.