[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having way too much fun playing with ChromatiCraft. Unfortunately the pack I'm playing doesn't have the amount of content with branching options that I would require to do an R2R playthrough.

Reactions: Senseidragon

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Well, I am finally home and settled. December was an unfortunately tough month.

My mom apparently had an aneurysm, which is where the walls of your blood vessels weaken and balloon outward. It is far too easy for these things to fly under the radar, and her's did. On her birthday it ruptured. We called 911 immediately and within an hour she was at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta. That day they put a drain in to help with excess fluid and to stabilize her. The next day they went up a vessel near her crotch like they would for a stint and did something they call an angeogram which is where they find where the aneurysm ruptured and see if they can fix it from inside. If they can't they'll have to do surgery. Thankfully they managed to be able to fix it with a coil. The rest of the time spent in the hospital was to watch and make sure she didn't re-bleed and that she didn't have what they call vasospasms which is where the vessels start spasming which can cause stroke.

On New Year's Eve she was discharged and everyone's been home since. I have no idea when new episodes will come out. I have a house and schoolwork to take care of.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hey all,
Happy New Years!

I'm back from holidays and finally getting a regular release setup going again. Here's the last two episodes of my challenge:

First we tackle the entire fortification outlier in one fell swoop:

Next there's a bit more stumbling as I try to figure out forestry multi-farms. The wiki was down that day sadly so I couldn't look things up as easily as normal. Plus I'm still Forestry 3 while the world has moved on.

The list of things to wrap up for this stage is slowly getting shorter. We'll be at the glowstone expansion very soon!

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So I was looking at my challenge and decided to use Excel to help me calculate the number of buildings I require you to build over the course of the 12 stages that have been written so far. I calculated the numbers assuming you built the largest number possible when I used adjectives for requirements instead of exact numbers (e.g. a few or a couple). The number I came up with for the number of buildings you have to build in the challenge so far as written was 190.

One hundred and ninety buildings. Over the course of 12 stages. That's 16 buildings per stage if I count the village. If not, then I'm requiring you to build 13-14 buildings per stage (the requirements for the village rounded out require a whopping 23-24 per stage).

That's a lot.

So now I've decided to sit down and re-write the thing to be more fair, balanced, and a lot less work. I'm also going to remove the sea-side village and re-write it as a side-quest you can pursue if you want to. It will also receive a makeover and be more fair and balanced.

As I've been sitting here crunching the numbers I've found a way to make it so that it's more fair and balanced. I'm going to limit myself to only requiring an average of 10 builds per stage. This means by the time you've finished the challenge (if you haven't chosen to do the side village) you'll have built a total of 200 structures (farms, houses, buildings). This does mean that unfortunately many of the stages may have slightly repetitive tasks. If it means you aren't suddenly asked to build 20+ things in one stage, though, I think it'll be worth it.

Though I've already figured out how I'm handling the situation, other suggestions may be considered. As I work on re-writing the challenge I will consider how big some of these builds will be when determining exactly how many builds I'll require for that stage (for example, a religious structure will probably be much bigger than a park to construct, so the other requirements along side it will be fewer than the ones in the stage with the park).

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget to consider rebuilds as well. Many of us would be happy retooling the looks rather than build the same structure again for no reason.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Yeah. I won't necessarily be changing build requirements (I basically don't have any, just make a thing resembling whatever comes to mind when i say "this"), I'll mostly be rearranging when the builds come along and are required. I may push some earlier builds to be required in stage 1 or 2 which would then shift all the other builds around a little bit.

For the most part you should only have to add a few builds to your town before continuing on to the next stage. Because I'm now going to try to restrict the number per stage to an average of 10, some stages will seem smaller than others. I'm going to attempt to be mindful of how large some of the builds are and remove or add builds to stages based on that.

Also while I work I'll be removing the general restrictions. I know they need reworking but I'm not sure how to go about it.

So, in answer to your concerns, if you've already built something but it's suddenly not required in the stage you were in, don't worry about it. Just build whatever else the stage requires and move on from there.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I think what Lethosos meant was something more along the lines of "upgrade your town hut into a town hall" or "add living quarters to your frontier watchtower to make it into a small keep"

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
For the most part that's up to you. If you want to combine your town hall and courthouse feel free to (not a bad idea, actually. Or just build the courthouse and have it so when it isn't used for court-related functions people meet there for town meetings or whatever). You don't have to make things into individual buildings if you don't want to. Hell, you could build an apartment building and knock houses off the list of things if that's what you want. It's up to you. Play however you want and break as many rules as you need to. Unfortunately most players wouldn't think about doing this.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll add this as a tip to the helpful tips spoiler: "Feel free to combine buildings into one structure. Examples: build an apartment building to take place of multiple houses, use the building for judgement s as the building for citizens' votes when cases aren't being heard, etc." I hadn't even thought of doing this. Now that I have, I find myself wanting to re-start the series. I remind myself every time I re-start that I'm re-starting with new knowledge I didn't have before.

Thank you!

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
THE UPDATE IS LIVE!! :D Feel free to go check it out! Hopefully it's a lot more fun and a lot more fair.

As an overview, here's the general changelog entry:

UPDATE NEWS: v 0.7
I've successfully updated the challenge. It should now be a lot easier and much more fair.

Things you will notice:
  • Restrictions are gone. They've been replaced with icons depicting what level of tool you're allowed to use.
    • 635356669605942576.png
      = stone
    • 635356669608756703.png
      = iron
    • 635356669605396431.png
      = diamond
  • Build requirements have changed. If you played the challenge before this update, you do not have to restart, just add whatever's missing to your town. You can turn your storage/smelting building into a blacksmith if you want to to avoid having to build one.
Something else I want to add is that you can combine structures into one build if you want to. Some examples:
  • Build an apartment to take place of multiple houses at once
  • Put your court and town hall in the same building or just make a one-room building and have your citizens use it for both
I'm sure you can come up with other scenarios where this will come in handy.

That's about it for this update. Thanks for playing!

Thanks for the support and suggestions, guys!