[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
What does it mean build 1 house per player? So this does need to be done on a multiplayer server?

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
ok. I see. I thought someone said something earlier about villagers.

Ya you can do the challenge Solo like I am attempting (crazy I know), its just to accomodate if you want to play with others while doing so.

And personally, I say just start and give it a go! I really want to use Ars Magica and Tinkers and all that but I'm staying with the 1.4.7 Ultimate pack for now. I'll just make a mystcraft age for gathering unique resources I think.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Yea. That's what I'm doing right now. I'm slowly making my way through the Wooden Settlement part. It's tough. You need an insane amount of wood. Are you building the refugee houses? That seems like a cool idea but there wouldn't be any real use for them.

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Yea. That's what I'm doing right now. I'm slowly making my way through the Wooden Settlement part. It's tough. You need an insane amount of wood. Are you building the refugee houses? That seems like a cool idea but there wouldn't be any real use for them.

I'm actually sticking closer to the intiial # of building requirements from the vanilla 'Hard' difficulty challenge. For that first 'wood age' stage, it states you must only build at least 2 dwellings (2 for 1 player, 3 for 2 players, etc).

Also, with my lil bit of RP I'm saying the 'vanilla NPC village' is like the refugee camp that was started before I arrived, so they already have like 5 'shacks' HAHA. (The stone stage you must build at least 3 more dwellings, a town hall, at least 2 watchtowers, and at least 1 community building - very close to what Maul has here for his stone age [#3], main difference being I won't have the wall requirement yet, maybe just a wood wall haha)

But your right, it takes tons of wood... as it should in the wood age! You lumberjack you.

=)

I've built the first one of my 'basic all wood' dwellings so far, when I get home I will record building the second and get on to the Stone age! Before that, here is the next episode:

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Good point. It is called the wood age for a reason. I like the wealth levels idea which is I why I want to build dwellings. I'm doing the FTB version so the rules are only slightly different. I also really like the different districts and stuff. I'll definitely wanna do something with that. Maybe I will just build houses and then fill them with villagers later. This whole thing sorta reminds me of the Hunger Games without the actual Hunger Games.

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Good point. It is called the wood age for a reason. I like the wealth levels idea which is I why I want to build dwellings. I'm doing the FTB version so the rules are only slightly different. I also really like the different districts and stuff. I'll definitely wanna do something with that. Maybe I will just build houses and then fill them with villagers later. This whole thing sorta reminds me of the Hunger Games without the actual Hunger Games.

Hehe ya this is the general way I'm going to break down the 'wealth' levels of houses (I love SimCity...)

Farming / Argicultural District (1st one):
Low-Wealth Homes
(T1 Storage - Town Hall)

Market (Commercial) & Port (Industrial/Transportation) Districts:
Medium Wealth

Upper District (Mage stuff, Libraries, Museums, etc):
High Wealth
(T2 Storage - City Hall)

Royal District
"LOL" Wealth
(T3 Storage - Castle)

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
I love that idea. I'll probably do that even if it isn't necessary to move onto each level. I'm a bit OCD so organizing things into levels of wealth is awesome for me.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Hehe ya this is the general way I'm going to break down the 'wealth' levels of houses (I love SimCity...)

Farming / Argicultural District (1st one):
Low-Wealth Homes
(T1 Storage - Town Hall)

Market (Commercial) & Port (Industrial/Transportation) Districts:
Medium Wealth

Upper District (Mage stuff, Libraries, Museums, etc):
High Wealth
(T2 Storage - City Hall)

Royal District
"LOL" Wealth
(T3 Storage - Castle)

The really cool thing about this, as well as my plan and things Maul has mentioned, is that it will require so much terraforming that the land itself won't look anything like it did when we started these projects. We are literally changing our worlds in both physical shape and conceptual design. I'm really looking forward to how our cities will incorporate, improve, and even rewrite the landscape on which we first stood when we spawned.

e.g., the port. Your ship(s) won't be just sitting next to a beach. You'll have to build a dock that extends into the water. Maybe you put buildings on the land, but some extend into the water next to the dock. Think Booty Bay in World of Warcraft.

I would love to find a nice cliff for a mining town to build into with its gates and walls coming out from the cliff face similarly to Helm's Deep. I've been scouting my new area, and I think I know where I'm going to put these things. It's very exciting for me right now.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I don't usually like to double post, but this is going to have a few images and explanations.

First picture:
20130426193924.png

This is my hovel. If you notice, I don't have a bed. I am doing the Old School Spawn Challenge, which I just made up. I can't use a bed because it will change my spawn point. This means I must protect and reinforce my original spawn. If I ever die, I will respawn back where I started. Luckily, I have a pretty decent spawn as you will see.

On the note of the bed, my future citizens are not constrained by my incapacitating fear of sheets and pillows. All residential buildings will have beds except for my own.

Second picture:
20130426193946.png

Obviously, the outside of my hovel. Not much explanation here, just dirt with a door.

Third picture:
20130426194003.png

The stack of wood is on top of my spawn. This is my best marker until I clear the area and put some defenses in place. Behind, in the upper left, you can see a small stone structure. That is a naturally spawning Dimensional Rift from the Dimensional Doors mod. Words can't really describe how awesome it is, so I will be posting close-up pictures when I start building my fishing village over there.

Final Picture:
20130426194136.png

The minimap of the area directly surrounding my spawn. I'm not a big fan of snow biomes, but I can see a green forest area to the northwest. Just south of the green forest is that rather large bay. This will be my port in the future. The smaller bay to the east is the water that you can see behind my spawn pillar. I can see a river farther to the east, and I think I can work with that.

Overall, I think I like this spawn, even if I don't feel wonderful about snow biomes. I have green grass close by with some areas that I can use for cool building projects. I think I will put my logging camp almost directly north of here by that iced-over lake. The idea of logging and fishing in a cold climate appeals to me, so I'm happy so far. I definitely have a challenge in setting up my first farm, but that's small. If you're noticing the seeds in two separate slots, I am using Magical Crops. Yes, I will one day have my citizens cultivating a literal XP farm.

I will see you at the end of the Wood Age.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
when I say Villagers, I generally mean "Imaginary Population", but you could decide to use Testificates if you want.

I actually just got back from work, and will be spending the next few hours to work on the challenge rules, and streamline them.

Rymmie, looks good so far! Also, your Old School Spawn Challenge sounds a lot like Steelfeather's Castle Building Challenge. Might be worth a look if you ever start running out of inspiration.

......now I have to install Metallurgy. On top of Natura. Tinker's Construct. And of course Copper/Tin/Bronze from IC2/BC3/etc. and Applied Energistics. thanks. lol. I'm going to have so many ores in my world, lol.

Can't wait to see what you guys build!

I'll be here for a few hours if anyone has questions.

Vaal, RP2 in 1.4.7 has a light sensor I believe. Can't wait to see what you do with actual buildings.

To clarify, the intent is to keep you from going under much more than 1 block of dirt until you have the leather cap. The Rule of Cool, of course, applies here.

*snip*

I actually thought along this lines as well. This is my list, personally (not necessarily districts, since this is a list I'm using for room/building suggestions, but it would easily work as a District list).

EDIT:

I'm also going to try to feature some mods that I enjoy that may or may not be in FTB mod packs. Not much, just a mention of something from one mod here, a mention of an item from another mod there.

Change Log (v.2):

Organizational Sections added:

Residential
Commercial
Fortification
Transportation
Agricultural
Technological
Magical
Miscellaneous

-Dirt Hovel, Wooden Settlement sections cleared up, Wooden Hardcore Mode updated
-Logging Building added to Commercial Section in Hardcore Mode
-WatchTower(s) added to Fortification Section in Normal and Hardcore Modes
-Personal Mines no longer an Advancement Requirement, Players choose additional rooms from the Rooms page instead (they may choose Personal Mine if they choose). The net effect is that more rooms may be (are, in Hardcore) required for Advancement
-Refugee Shacks (Fast Track/Normal Modes) now need 1 Room from the Dwellings Page. Refugee Refuge Requires at least 2.
-"Optional" replaced by [Challenge]
-Blocks, Items, rooms, and/or buildings that require/may use mods are now denoted with the [Mod] tag (Vanilla Challengers should ignore these)
-For additional Flavor for your town, "[Flavor]" tags are added, mostly suggesting that you decide which houses perform which jobs in the non-Residential Sections. These are entirely optional
--If [Flavor] tags are used, the houses must be marked with a Sign, and should be built near their occupation
--If [Flavor] tags are used, the houses should be built with their profession in mind.
-The [Flavor] tag renders RanchHouses, FarmHouses, and Orchard Houses obsolete
-[Mod] If you have Tinker's Construct, you will find yourself making many, many Wooden Frying Pans
-Hardcore Cafeteria is tweaked slightly
-Added Community Buildings Requirement, based off the Community Buildings Page
-Hardcore required Refugee Housing count increased by 1 (was 2-5, now 3-7, because of the new [Flavor] feature)

v.2.1:

-Got rid of the text in the Wooden Stage about having to abandon your house next turn, and how it will become the Admin Center for the town. That is stupid and will be edited out when I rewrite the Stone Hamlet stage.

heh...sorry for increasing a few things on you if you're using Hardcore, rymmie

If you guys have any ideas for Rooms/Buildings you think I should add to my lists, I'd love to hear them. The lists are rather bare atm. If you want, use rooms as ideas for buildings, or the other way around. Or fun house/career naming options for the [Flavor] tag

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't Wooden Frying Pan an oxymoron? XD

TConstruct really simplifies so much, but it also fits really well into the idea of the challenge. The same four blocks are used to make both the simplest wooden pickaxe and the most awesome diamond/emerald/nether star/moss-encrusted cobalt Broadsword of Skeleton Shattering. Yes, I do make use of the naming ability. If you're building a museum, I highly recommend using TConstruct to make legendary weapons with awesome names and full stories and such.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
lol yeah, kind of.

and yes, TConstruct rules. I actually considered letting people use paper tools for Dirt Stage, but decided against it pretty quickly, since I liked the idea of being bare knuckles against everything. Ooh......Tinker's has a new dev version with NEI support!

want.

Personally, I'm about to take tonight off and do a Hardcore Challenge, now that I've found the build 304 of IC2, and can get all the EU mods installed, not just MJ.

Plus I'm going to be using the Clay Soldiers mod, the Magic Crops, Metallurgy, Alchemine, Cartographer, Bibliocraft, and a few others......now if only Jammy's Furniture mod/Underground Biomes played nice with all the other mods. Or if iChun's mods recognized that I actually do have the damn IChun util in my core mods folder. I can live without the grav gun and the portal gun for now, but I'm gonna want the Torch Launcher dammit. :D

I did come up with some interesting lore though:

[Lore]

Long ago, the world was in chaos. Wars were waged between humans and testificates and pigmen. Dragons roamed the land, magic grew in power and threatened everything. Then the Ender Emperor appeared, and quelled the fighting by conquering everyone. His name was not literally the Ender Emperor, but people remember him thus because he Ended the wars. For a time, all was well. His empire grew and grew, his miners delved the depths, and the Ender Emperor discovered the most powerful magics of all--the power to create other worlds, and the power to extend life beyond its normal limits. But such progress came at a cost--many of the worlds were corrupted, and all contact to those worlds were cut off; and sometimes the beings to whom life was given died, but because of the magic, could not rest.

But life went on. Technology began to advance, and catch up with the magic.

For two hundred years, the Ender Emperor ruled, fairly and justly. He gathered a group of men and women around him whom to be his advisors and be instruments of his will. But some of Ender's Men, as they came to be called, grew jealous of his power. One night, they tried to seize control by using some of the Emperor's secret magic. The magic corrupted them, and they became the Endermen we know today. But unlike the modern Endermen, they could still communicate with the people. And so a war was raged. Brother against brother, city against city, kingdom against kindgom, Ender Emperor against his Ender Men.

Finally, after the world was devastated, and the Emperor's crown jewel, the Nether, had been thoroughly corrupted with magic, the Emperor took the battle to the base of his Ender Men, and with the last of his power, sealed them, the last dragon alive, and himself in a starless, void of a world, cut off from the Overworld completely. It is said that this last act consumed him utterly.

The world devolved into chaos, and wars broke out once again. Soon enough all knowledge was lost, and what few people remained wandered the world. But some that were blessed, or cursed, with the Ender Men's life-giving magic still roam the world.

....or something like that. :p

It's come to my attention through my playtesting that MFR Rubber tree sap can be used for torches. This is allowable. I'll make a note on the Dirt page.

ex13

Jul 29, 2019
So, I started playing the challenge as well. I use Minecraft 1.5.1 with a custom modpack. It includes Ars Magicka, Tinkers Construct and a few other mods, but only technical mods that work with BuildCraft energy, i.e. no IndustrialCraft and extensions, no Factorization, no Redpower. I think, of these mods, I will only miss the sickles, barrels (though I have BetterStorage, and for later stages AE), and jetpacks (I hope MPS works with BuildCraft energy someday). Also, no Gravity/portal gun (don't fit in my opinion), no EE3 (never been a fan of transmutation - except the awesome system in ThaumCraft).

I try to do the normal advancement rules, but I may modify them if ever I feel like it. Especially since I use a different set of mods.

Stage 1:
I woke up and found myself in a small birch forest. I don't know, who I am, where I am, or how I got here. All I know is that I am hungry and I'm afraid ... of something, I don't even know what exactly I'm afraid of. Even though it looks so peaceful here. After walking around for a while and looking for help, I see a village at the horizon. Next two incredibly large trees. Are they worshiping the trees? Whatever, I need to ask them for help. I'm sure I won't be able to last much longer if I don't get something to eat and a place to rest.
2013-04-27_16.08.04.jpg

The villagers were very friendly to me, they allowed me to gather food from their fields, as long as I replant the seeds. Finally, with one problem less to worry about, I decided to chop some trees near the forest to gather some wood. It was hard work, and my fists are hurting even now. In the end, the sun started to set too quickly, and my fears of the dark were nearly overwhelming me. So I dug some dirt and quickly built a cheap hovel near those two large trees. Then I set out to gather wool, since I saw some sheep at the horizon. When I was back, it was already dark, and I saw strange creatures appearing everywhere. I'm so glad that I could sneak through without them noticing me. I can't imagine what they would have done to me. Finally arriving in my hovel, still shaking in horror, I made a bed and hid myself.
2013-04-27_16.24.43.jpg

When I awoke, the sun had already risen. Finally safe, I examined the wood I gathered to see if it can be used to make some tools.

Stage 2:
After crafting a few basic tools from the wood I gathered, I set out to explore the surroundings. My main goal is to get independent from the villagers. While they always helpful to me, and even traded some of their own wheat for an emerald, I don't want to overuse the friendliness. During three days of exploring, I found some cows and more sheep and led them home, as well as many different berries. Besides harvesting the ripe berries, I also carefully cut some bushes and planted them near my house. For now, I should have enough food.
2013-04-27_19.08.05.jpg
2013-04-27_19.20.09.jpg

Then, I started building a nice home for myself. While the dirt hovel was better then nothing for the first few nights, I can't stand the smell of dirt anymore. For my house, I needed a lot more wood than expected, so I started a small tree farm next to my house. After breaking the third wooding axe, I asked the villagers, if they have them tips for better tools. Thankfully, I have two tinkerer in my village, and they showed me how to tool patterns and use them to create a larger variety of tools. While I still only have wood to make them, they are much easier to repair now, and I just love my new mattock.
2013-04-27_20.08.41.jpg

To finish my own house, I asked the local blacksmith if I can use his furnace to smelt some glass. Of course I was allowed, and so I cooked some chicken and beef as well. After a few more days of gathering wood and building, I finally managed to finish my house:
2013-04-27_22.15.00.jpg

Besides the workshop you saw earlier, it also includes an entrance, a bedroom and the (still empty) attic.
2013-04-27_22.15.59.jpg

After having finally a nice home, a livestock, a steady supply of berries, and a nice set of tools (with an awesome broadsword to defend myself), I even made a set of leather armor. Leading all these cows to my place and feeding them regularly was definitely worth it.
2013-04-27_22.26.19.jpg

Filled with new confidence, I ventured out again to explore more of the surroundings. In the hills near the house, I found a pack of zombies that tried to surprise me. Well, as if their rattling could surprise anyone. After slaying them, I found a crack in the hillside with even more zombies coming out. Slaying one after another, I finally managed to slip in and slap some torches on the ground ... I was inside a dungeon. Wow, a surface dungeon right next to my house, and I even found a bucket (yeah).
2013-04-27_22.28.02.jpg

Back home, the villagers approached me, and ask if I can help them building another home. Apparently they liked the looks of my own house. So I started working, using their plans. But the house came out rather boring, and I think the villagers were a bit disappointed as well. Well, maybe next time, they let me build using my own plans.
2013-04-27_22.40.20.jpg

I guess my next steps are building a nice farm using my new bucket and growing some of the seeds I found during my travels. Seeds that even the villagers don't grow. I wonder what plants I will get; maybe the villagers trade me some nice things for them. But before that, I want to make my tools sturdier. I may be able to use some of the stone I got while looking for surface coal.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice.

Looks Testificatish. BTW I'm jealous that you have three different berry types. ATM I only have 2, and have to suck down 2 per hunger. lol.

So I should probably be in bed right now but I wanted to report my progress.

So I'm still in the Dirt Hovel stage, even though I have plenty of wood. I'm trying to knock off as many Challenges as I can until I get bored. So that means some of every wood, and a bunch of every kind of Sapling that I've encountered (except Thaumic trees--yes, I changed it to both Thaumic trees).

Man, I love Natura. Barley growing on the Overworld for early bread, lots and lots of berries (though atm the grow rate of bushes should probably be toned down, but I'm not complaining), Cotton (even if the plant breaks into seeds if it's not on tilled soil)......

2013-04-28_03.49.52.png

I also got lucky with a really good starting area. I've got a plains area that borders snowy areas, a Rain Forest, a marsh, and has a Desert not far off.

2013-04-28_04.30.44.png 2013-04-28_04.30.44.png2013-04-28_04.31.39.png2013-04-28_04.42.24.png

So right off the bat I've got lots of IC2/MFR Rubber Trees, Jungle Trees, the Winter Trees (Spruce, right? I tend to think of them as the snow trees and not their actual name), and regular trees. Plus I found a grove of trees nearby with Birch and Eucalyptus trees, and on one of my forays I discovered Cherry (not Forestry Cherry) trees. And Raspberry/Blueberry bushes.

Plus, and I'm not sure which mod this comes from (Magical Crops?), but I've got like 6 kinds of seeds that look like Wheat seeds--Chili Peppers, Strawberries, and more.

So yeah, I'm running Hardcore, so I made a Clay Hovel.

2013-04-28_05.00.37.png

And I may have kept forgetting which way the sun set and rose, so I labelled the sides facing sunrises/sunsets.

2013-04-28_05.03.01.png2013-04-28_05.03.05.png

I also found a bunch of Sheep, and got a bed (just before I started clawing my eyes out while I was waiting for daylight).

Not pictured: Getting slaughtered by a Hecate. Getting spooked by Mana Creeper, until I realized that at AM level 0, it couldn't hurt me at all.

Also all the non-Testificate Zombies seem to be wearing overalls.

2013-04-28_05.49.30.png

tomorrow: Back to work with the rewrite (lots of Shakespeare jokes about the Stone Hamlet stage :D) and maybe a bit more playtime.

Attachments

• 2013-04-28_04.30.58.png
    2013-04-28_04.30.58.png
    316.9 KB · Views: 146

ex13

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I have to agree, Natura is awesome. The berries are excellent for early gameplay, as if they were made exactly for this challenge. And the gigantic redwood trees - wow. I really want to do something with them. Probably building some spiral staircase on one of them and a bridge to the other tree, then the magic district somewhere near (though I don't want too high flux there, obviously).
Seeing your pictures, I will probably incorporate some challenges/hardcore rules as well in the next stage.

Oh, and one additional note: For the stone stage, I made all my (tinker) tools out of flint instead of cobble. I guess thats allowed? Same for bone, cactus and slime?

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. All Tinker Tools that have the same Mining Level as the Vanilla counterpart (in this case Stone is TC Mining Level 1: Iron), may be used. Except for Copper. Just like Paper may be used in the Wooden Settlement stage (Wood and Paper both have TC Mining Level 0: Stone).

And I didn't realize that you got the second tier Materials and You book just by putting it in the crafting area. I've been going out of my mind trying to figure it out, and didn't think to try NEI.

derp.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Some things I've thought about: One could in theory build their "dirt hovel" out of sandstone. Depending on player desires/material scarcity, a sandstone hovel might be preferable. Personally I almost ended up living in a hovel made of fabric of reality(dimensional doors) due to the amount of it I had after a good dungeon run with it. I had completely forgetting that it's completely black and thus impossible to find the edges of once you're inside it(or looking for a door into it) short of wandering around and bumping into walls. I also forgot that it's very weak, and a creeper reminded me of that.

Second, might I suggest exactly ONE tool in the dirt hovel stage(mostly for people doing the hardcore challenges)? Specifically the wooden hoe. Farming without one is really hard, and while one can in theory live off the land in vanilla, it's pretty much impossible. I use Natura as well, though, so I can live off the land with berries.

Last, I am currently giving myself 5 items as part of character building. I would advise that if you think this is a cool idea, try to keep in mind I'm selecting some things slightly above my tier. I have a item which requires 2 iron ingots(I'm also using Ars Magicka, so do the science and you'll know what item), one is a backpack(not forestry, it's from a backpack mod), and the rest are starter items I might get out of a bonus chest if it knew what mods you're using and added items for them.(very basic items for various mods)
Oh, and a single blue berry bush. Natura hated me in my first test on this map and spawned all fruit too far away from me to be obtainable on the first day.