[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
First off: The Cubeaism stuff is added specifically because someone added a mythology to Minecraft. if it bothers you, don't use it. If you feel the need to replace Cubeaism with Christian religious symbols, do so. or to Lynyrd Skynyrd. Or to Dio (the hard rock guy). or to Elvis. The Cubeaism stuff IS OPTIONAL. Because I REALLY DON'T CARE WHAT KIIND OF MYTHOLOGY YOU USE IN YOUR SINGLE PLAYER GAME. neither should anyone else. If the mythology/religion you use on a server bothers other players, you're playing with, you're playing with the wrong people. There is so much more I want to say on this subject but then this thread will just devolve. so Please:

DISCUSSION OVER. This thread is for discussion of the challenge only, not your particular problems with fictional mythology (seriously, don't. just don't) as relating to Minecraft. If you have a problem with it don't use it. PERIOD.

Much more of this and I will ask mods to begin removing/editing posts. And I don't want to bother them unless I really need to.

On a side note:

New Challenge. Replace (or in addition to) the Cubeaism stuff, building shrines to various bands/artists (complete with Sound Blocks once you unlock them).

Ammaneus: I will remove the "Double" part of the requirement. You're right, some people prefer single doors.

Reactions: xBTx

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
First off: The Cubeaism stuff is added specifically because someone added a mythology to Minecraft. if it bothers you, don't use it. If you feel the need to replace Cubeaism with Christian religious symbols, do so. or to Lynyrd Skynyrd. Or to Dio (the hard rock guy). or to Elvis. The Cubeaism stuff IS OPTIONAL. Because I REALLY DON'T CARE WHAT KIIND OF MYTHOLOGY YOU USE IN YOUR SINGLE PLAYER GAME. neither should anyone else. If the mythology/religion you use on a server bothers other players, you're playing with, you're playing with the wrong people. There is so much more I want to say on this subject but then this thread will just devolve. so Please:

DISCUSSION OVER. This thread is for discussion of the challenge only, not your particular problems with fictional mythology as relating to Minecraft. If you have a problem with it don't use it. PERIOD.

Much more of this and I will ask mods to begin removing/editing posts. And I don't want to bother them unless I really need to.

On a side note:

New Challenge. Replace (or in addition to) the Cubeaism stuff, building shrines to various bands/artists (complete with Sound Blocks once you unlock them).

Ammaneus: I will remove the "Double" part of the requirement. You're right, some people prefer single doors.
Sorry man, was trying to help. Didn't expect it to get out of hand that bad.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
NO ONE CARES! Seriously what the hell do you think this is going to achieve? You know what else is forbidden in the bible? Wearing clothes of two different matierials. I bet you're doing that right now. What else? Women teachers... at school do you have any female teachers? I'm willing to bet that you do. What else? Does your dad have huge sideburns and a huge beard? No? Well he's going against the damn bible!
Your bible is idiotic, your belief is idiotic, and
your nonesense in this thread is idiotic. Give it a rest!
Didn't mean to start a flame war. Anyway, those rules were for the Israelites before we got our Messiah, so they are kinda obsolete. Obsolete is such a hard word to type, seriously.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, Whizzball, but I'm methodist and I also agree with PoppyCocks on that one. I must say I did some Cubeaism challenges and follow the D&D religion when I'm roleplaying. It's not like you're doing it for real, you're doing it in a game.
It's not like the character is literally you (although is really that he will keep a lot of your personality), so you're just pretending to be another person. It's not like you're going to decline to be the merchant in The Merchant of Venice just because he's jewish, are you?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So some quick suggestions: You should limit tools not by material, but by mining level; this prevents the quartz issue(quartz tools technically being usable at T1 in of that they can be gathered with just a wooden pick[AE quartz I mean, which you can make tools out of]) and adds further compatibility with other mods and this challenge by allowing the player to know what is allowed with greater accuracy in more installs. Likewise, needed tools to advance should be mining level advances, not material listed. So to advanced to T4 you need something that can mine what iron can for all your listed tools(thus mining level 3).

Next, you should likely add a specific limit on when the player can craft a Hunter's Handgun if they have Xeno's Reliquary. Technically they can craft one at T4, though they could do so at T3 if not for the limit on using gold for anything at T3. Actually, they could craft it at T3 anyway, having free access to crafting with iron then, seeing as they could craft a flint and steel and use a bucket to craft a nether portal and find what they need like that. Again, not sure if Xenos Reliquary is in DW20s pack, but this is something which might need to be addressed. Well, they could craft the gun at T3, but using it would require T4 for crafting bullets.

Last, if one can only use a cauldron at T4, then Thaumcraft is pretty much forbidden before that level because you need the cauldron to make a crucible, which is needed for all basic thaumcraft transmutations.(transmutations being anything which you combine aspects in a crucible to get a item) Though one can not use Thaumcraft at all without a wand, now can we, and that requires a gold nugget, which is thus T4.

Last but not least, I am considering making a Lets Play out of this challenge. So this should be interesting.[DOUBLEPOST=1366055292][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sorry, Whizzball, but I'm methodist and I also agree with PoppyCocks on that one. I must say I did some Cubeaism challenges and follow the D&D religion when I'm roleplaying. It's not like you're doing it for real, you're doing it in a game.
It's not like the character is literally you (although is really that he will keep a lot of your personality), so you're just pretending to be another person. It's not like you're going to decline to be the merchant in The Merchant of Venice just because he's jewish, are you?
Also the matter has been closed already and Whizzball said he's done discussing it. Not to mention he said he was okay with it anyway as it's optional and thus not forced upon him.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Also the matter has been closed already and Whizzball said he's done discussing it. Not to mention he said he was okay with it anyway as it's optional and thus not forced upon him.
Yay I'm late to the party once again.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Just going to ignore the embers still smoldering (This is not the place), and continue with the Challenge discussion.

Before I forget again, I meant to add Coke Ovens to the Stone Hamlet Stage last night. And Wooden Rails. Both are allowed along with anything Cart-related you might find in Dungeon Chests. Except for Energy/Liquid Storage Carts

So some quick suggestions: You should limit tools not by material, but by mining level; this prevents the quartz issue(quartz tools technically being usable at T1 in of that they can be gathered with just a wooden pick

[snip]

Hunter's Handgun/Xenos Reliquary

[snip]

Last, if one can only use a cauldron at T4, then Thaumcraft is pretty much forbidden before that level because you need the cauldron to make a crucible, which is needed for all basic thaumcraft transmutations.(transmutations being anything which you combine aspects in a crucible to get a item) Though one can not use Thaumcraft at all without a wand, now can we, and that requires a gold nugget, which is thus T4.

Last but not least, I am considering making a Lets Play out of this challenge. So this should be interesting.

Actually, most metals are unlocked at the Iron Village Stage, including Gold. You won't need to wait until the Diamond Stage to use Diamond Tools. I believe my plans were for Diamond tools to be introduced in the Gold City stage. The names are there mainly for a Minecraftish feel. instead of "Stage 1, 2, 3", it's "Dirt Stage" "Wood Stage", "Stone Stage", "Iron Stage", etc. RP2 Gems/Diamonds may be collected, but not used just yet. Thanks for the reminder about Quartz tools. I would have forgotten.

Both Magic and Technology are unlocked at the Iron Village Stage (where up to this stage it's pretty much Vanilla with a few exceptions), as well as optional challenges for picking either only Technology, only Magic, or doing both. There are limits put on how far you can progress in technology and magic (or soon will be, once I finish rewriting the Iron Village rules (hopefully before bed tonight in a few hours).

Tech=IC2/BC/AE/anything that uses MJ/EU/steam, Portal Guns, etc.
Magic=Thaumcraft, Mystcraft, Twilight Forest, Ender Chests, Portals [Nether/End/Twilight Forest/Mystcraft] (unless you're doing a Single Player Tech Only/Server with only Techs run, in which case Techs can use Nether/End Portals only), Potions, Enchants etc.

Forestry is largely neutral, and may not considered part of the Technology tech tree or the Magic tech tree. I haven't looked at Xeno's Reliquary much, but I'm tempted to declare it Magic, despite the gunpowder. Partically because there's so many Tech mods out there, but mostly because it seems to be mainly magical.

But again, I'm not going to be going TOO far into specifics on ALL the mods in the DW20 (or beyond) pack (yet), because I'm trying to get the challenges completed. If you have a question on something, just ask.

If you do get a Let's Play going, send me a link to your first video and I'll put it up on the front page (same goes to everyone else).

Two posts deleted, OP edited, two posts left to go. But I haven't reached that level of tech yet in my rewrites. Curses!

I'm considering making it a requirement from Iron Village on that whenever you progress from one stage to the next you must set off a fireworks display.

thoughts?

FFFFFFrick.

Yeah, my mind's not working tonight. Was hoping to get the Iron Village knocked off, but I'm throwing in the towel. I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

Part of my frustration was realizing I can't really do much with the Tech mods until I introduce Redstone. Which I'm going to move up to the next stage after Iron Village.

But mostly my brain shutting down and refusing to open the door, no matter how hard I bang on it. Yes, mixed meataphors, but I don't care about that or the hilarious messpelling of the word "metaphor".

FFFFFFF

Can't spell. Going to bed.

Derp.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Started the challenge today, stage 2 by now. No extra leather and a leather cap. Wood tools break too fast, and only one stack of cobble. Also, can I make a three-story settlement as a house?
I'll post pictures later.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
There are no restrictions on building height, save for the Dirt Hovel stage.

Can't wait to see the pictures!

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I'm about to start this challenge. I have the perfect seed for my future kingdom, too.

One thing that I'm thinking of doing is adding one level of difficulty for this where I can only travel a maximum of 15 blocks from the nearest "man-made" structure on the overworld. The first tether would be my spawn block, of course.

I am going to define a structure as an object made of at least 4 blocks that require a crafting table to make. For instance, laying down a gravel path wouldn't count as a structure. I would have to build a lamppost along the path for it to count. A simple lamppost would be 2 fence posts stacked with a plank block on the top and a torch on the side. Of course, I will upgrade the lampposts along with the rest of the buildings until they look like real streetlights.

My other idea is for the later game. I want to make it so that all travel must be linked to the capitol city through rails. My initial thought is to say that any settlements more than 50 blocks apart have to have a single rail line between them, and any settlements more than 100 blocks apart would have to have a double rail line.

Hardmode: Make all trains link to the capitol through a Railcraft-signal-powered Grand Central Station.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
I'm about to start this challenge. I have the perfect seed for my future kingdom, too.

One thing that I'm thinking of doing is adding one level of difficulty for this where I can only travel a maximum of 15 blocks from the nearest "man-made" structure on the overworld. The first tether would be my spawn block, of course.

I am going to define a structure as an object made of at least 4 blocks that require a crafting table to make. For instance, laying down a gravel path wouldn't count as a structure. I would have to build a lamppost along the path for it to count. A simple lamppost would be 2 fence posts stacked with a plank block on the top and a torch on the side. Of course, I will upgrade the lampposts along with the rest of the buildings until they look like real streetlights.

My other idea is for the later game. I want to make it so that all travel must be linked to the capitol city through rails. My initial thought is to say that any settlements more than 50 blocks apart have to have a single rail line between them, and any settlements more than 100 blocks apart would have to have a double rail line.

Hardmode: Make all trains link to the capitol through a Railcraft-signal-powered Grand Central Station.

*takes notes*

mind if I use this in a future ruleset? Because that sounds awesome for a really hard challenge.

One question though--how are you applying this to mining? One thought is that you could go no more than 15 blocks from the nearest *reinforced* section of a cave/mineshaft.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
*takes notes*

mind if I use this in a future ruleset? Because that sounds awesome for a really hard challenge.

One question though--how are you applying this to mining? One thought is that you could go no more than 15 blocks from the nearest *reinforced* section of a cave/mineshaft.
So that explains abandoned mineshafts and makes them even MORE scarier - I'm batshit afraid of those, really.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, use whatever you want.

I was thinking along those lines for spelunking. I tend to stripmine, so I'm thinking about requiring a small platform every ten levels with "man-made" connections(stairs, ladders, elevator rails in later tech, etc.). That rule would also apply to ravines since stripmines are essentially man-made ravines.

20130417195158.png

Dirt Hovel

20130417195213.png

Wood Age Chest

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
FFFFFFrick.

Yeah, my mind's not working tonight. Was hoping to get the Iron Village knocked off, but I'm throwing in the towel. I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

Part of my frustration was realizing I can't really do much with the Tech mods until I introduce Redstone. Which I'm going to move up to the next stage after Iron Village.

I am preparing to start an LP of this type of challenge using the Ultimate pack. I was going through everything myself before I tried looking what others had done, but in my version of this challenge I am blocking all Tech by 'redstone' into three levels.

Also I added a 'Bronze' age between Stone & Iron, and am simply using materials for blocking of ages from the original challenge.

Broadely I am separating like so:

Age | Tech
1 - Wood
2 - Stone
3 - Bronze
4 - Iron | Redstone Dust (vanilla like, can make pistons etc)
5 - Gold | Redwire (no blutricity redpower machines) & MJs (Buildcraft/Thermal Expansion)
6 - Diamond | Redpower (blutricity), Electricity! (Basic EU, IC2)
7 - 'Final' | Gregtech / Applied Energistics / 'High-Tech' etc

Magic I'm kind of allowing anytime you can start it, with gold nuggets being the main thing for Thaumcraft right? So if you get a bucket you can build a portal to the nether and kill some pigmen before the gold age. (Or before the iron age if you find a bucket).

I won't allow the use of EE3 for anything except a better pocket crafting table.

Thoughts?

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
A small issue with this challenge is the ban of using iron at all for so long. A farm is difficult to start without a bucket which can't be made for a long time, unless you find one which is hit-or-miss. On the one hand, it's awesome for the challenge. On the other hand, it really constrains your starting settlement to a lake or ocean.

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
A small issue with this challenge is the ban of using iron at all for so long. A farm is difficult to start without a bucket which can't be made for a long time, unless you find one which is hit-or-miss. On the one hand, it's awesome for the challenge. On the other hand, it really constrains your starting settlement to a lake or ocean.

Which is more realistic right? =) I enjoy seeing how people deal with that restriction, like the guy that made a waterfall from a mountain lake down to his farms