[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
now someone needs to code this into a server mod.

.....I have no idea how I'd do this. Because most of the challenge is building various buildings. I'm trying to limit the amount of dictating I do as far as size, to allow for personal styles that may not necessarily be mine.

And another part of the challenge is/will be having enough food items stored/planted per capita population (whether the population is real or imaginary), not to mention that I have THREE different difficulty settings, and two of those have varying population caps....I just don't see how it could possibly be hard coded into a mod.

But something that I have thought about are getting the rules into the game. How?

Written Books

I am guessing that I might be able to make a mod whose sole new addition are a series of books (one that has the entire ruleset (Book/Quill+Book=written Book containing entire ruleset, Book/Quill+Door=Dwelling Guidelines, Book/Quill+dirt=Written Book containing Stage 1 Instructions, Book/Quill+Wood=Stage 2 Instructions, Book/Quill+Cobble=Stage 3, etc). Additionally, I would like to put a challenge into the Challenge to record your progress via Book/Quill written books. Writing your back story, the story of the Stage, etc. Essentially once you've reached the last stage, you've written an entire library all about YOU and your kingdom.

BUUUUT........

I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm still rewriting everything, and am only on Stage 3/10. Speaking of, I am proud of the progress I've made in Stage 3: Stone so far, and feel that this is where the Challenge REALLY starts taking shape. Even if it kills me a little bit every time I write the Fast Track bits. But I will write it now so I'm not pestered with "Make it easier!" comments later.

I'm REALLY proud of Hardcore Stage 3.

Once I finish up the Challenge, I will look into making a mod of the Rulebooks a little more closely.

ex13

Jul 29, 2019
The challenge looks fun, I had a nice time in vanilla with the city construction challenge. Also, you might want to look into the Empire Building Challenge. Its quite similar to the CCC, but adds a nice twist: For most items and blocks, to use them, you first have to build a building for it. E.g. to use an axe, you need a lumber jack, to smelt ores you need a blacksmith and so on. However, these rules are even more complex, and the progress even slower, so maybe that might be incorporated into the Hard mode? I think, this kind of challenge can be extended nicely for FTB.

On another note, I can't access your wikispace site, it always bugs me to register and does not show any content. Is the wiki maybe set to private?

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
The challenge looks fun, I had a nice time in vanilla with the city construction challenge. Also, you might want to look into the Empire Building Challenge. Its quite similar to the CCC, but adds a nice twist: For most items and blocks, to use them, you first have to build a building for it. E.g. to use an axe, you need a lumber jack, to smelt ores you need a blacksmith and so on. However, these rules are even more complex, and the progress even slower, so maybe that might be incorporated into the Hard mode? I think, this kind of challenge can be extended nicely for FTB.

On another note, I can't access your wikispace site, it always bugs me to register and does not show any content. Is the wiki maybe set to private?

Thanks for the heads up. Wiki's public, everyone, And I've enabled Discussion Posts as well. As long as I don't get hit by spammers I want to keep that open.

I took a quick look into the Empire Building Challenge and honestly, it's not really what I'm looking for. That's more an RPG and requires strict adherence to the rules with very little room for free play. Plus at a quick count the building requirements (minimum) were only 20-25 or so, and that's not much of an Empire. That said, it looks like a very well thought-out, very good challenge. It's just not for me.

I want a Challenge that can be adapted by anyone, from Vanilla to OMG Ultimate Gregtech Brutality mode, provides a large amount of flexibility with a minimum of hard and fast rules (more guidelines and restrictions), and at the end you have accomplished so much more than beating the Ender Dragon a slightly different, very inflexible way.

TL: DR--I want to make new toys for the sandbox, not an RPG

cheechako

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I'm concerned, both matters are settled. Please don't bring them up again. Do not turn this thread into a religion flame war.

My apologies. I find this challenge interesting which is why I also took note of certain replies. I should not fan the flames - a third wrong does not make a right.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
My apologies. I find this challenge interesting which is why I also took note of certain replies. I should not fan the flames - a third wrong does not make a right.
It's fine, I just don't want to have to call the mods in here to clean up every five minutes. And I'm glad I have so much interest.

woo!

Marshy

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I'll throw it out there that if someone is looking for people to do this with, shoot me a PM and we can discuss details.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I'll throw it out there that if someone is looking for people to do this with, shoot me a PM and we can discuss details.

Well, if/when you find someone I'd love to see your progress via photos/videos.

Also, newest version starting point is here.

BTW am I the only person that's getting hella lag on wikispaces? Not sure if it's my ISP just being a butt or if it's wikispaces themselves.

Marshy

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if/when you find someone I'd love to see your progress via photos/videos.

Also, newest version starting point is here.
I'll be sure to keep people updated with progress. I might stream it as well as take screenshots, but we'll just have to see.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
If you wanted to do this on a server in a sort of guided play sort of way you should look into command blocks. If you willing to do this with mc 1.5 you can use the scoreboard functions to keep players up to date on the stage they are on.

Obviously this would take a lot of hand holding but could if done right make for a vary smooth way for a server to do this and allow multiple groups to work on it independently from each other.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019

Iamchris27" said:
Hey there,

You have full permission to re-do my challenge, which is now very old and out-dated unfortunately as I no longer play Minecraft. I am very humbled by the number of people asking if they can create a new challenge inspired by my own and I think that it's great that people are trying to keep it updated or to add their own spin to it.

All the best with your challenge,

Chris

:D

just went to the Minecraft forums just because, saw I had a message.

If you do this in 1.5, and have players that are not working on the same village but all working on the same challenge, you may want to consider having various teams, based on village/kingdoms.

Ammaneus

Jul 29, 2019
I like your lvl 3 hardcore section, 1 small, tiny, weeny thing though;

'Must be sealed by Wooden Double Doors'

as a person who builds a lot, I think this might be a bit restrictive because of the 'rule-of-thumb' that says double-door = even numbered wall length, you could change it to;

'Must be sealed by 2 Wooden doors, not necessarily next to each other'

this allows for either a double door, or a front/back door.

But regardless, I approve highly of this thread and concept! :D

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
One of the clauses (no metal blocks) removes Xycraft blocks from the list, as they require iron to be made.Was this intentional?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
pokemon__challenge_accepted_by_fi_re-d4on4l2.jpg

Going to have to set up my Complete Bullshit install quicker. Once I find the source of the inane world generation new lag I'll start.(that is, whenever a new chunk is loaded there is a pretty bad lag spike)

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with lambert give it a rest and why are you playing minecraft anyways because isn't the neather a form of hell so you have made yourself the biggest hippocrit here

Reactions: Lambert2191