[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. All Tinker Tools that have the same Mining Level as the Vanilla counterpart (in this case Stone is TC Mining Level 1: Iron), may be used. Except for Copper. Just like Paper may be used in the Wooden Settlement stage (Wood and Paper both have TC Mining Level 0: Stone).

And I didn't realize that you got the second tier Materials and You book just by putting it in the crafting area. I've been going out of my mind trying to figure it out, and didn't think to try NEI.

derp.
Hang on, that would mean you would only be able to use cactus tools at stone tool level.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
*only* be able to use cactus tools?

no, including Cactus Tools, sinc Cactus=Stone level mining. Except its durability isn't as good, but it's got a better attack bonus by a whole half heart compared to stone.

In Tinker's Construct, Wood and Paper are Mining Level 0: Stone. Same as Vanilla Wood pickaxe--okayed for Wooden Settlement Stage

Mining Level 1: Iron, is the same mining level as a Stone Pickaxe, and has Copper (Can't be used until Iron Village stage), Blue Slime, Bone, Cactus, Flint, and Stone--Except for Copper, is okayed for Stone Hamlet stage.

Don't think I'm going to change the item rules for the Dirt Hovel stage. It's supposed to be a hard scrabble life. that's the whole point. Yeah, I'm scrabbling for food too, because the Barley and the Berries and the Apples go way too fast. But that's kind of the point. And I'm doing the Full Challenge Hardcore Dirt Hovel stage. The reason I didn't mention Sandstone for the Hovels is because it is, in fact, Stone. It's supposed to be crappy. Again, that's the point.

As I'm writing it, Magic is unlocked in the Iron stage, along with basic Technology (Pistons, etc). My intention was that after you have managed to stabilise your population, and build yourselves up a bit, it's time to explore new and strange areas.

And after it's unlocked, Magic and Technology are supposed to grow together at roughly the same speed through the following levels.

Rule of Cool applies, of course.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I meant you would only get to start using cactus at stone level. Considering the ease of gathering cactus(easier then punching trees I might add) the in game TConstruct manuals aptly call it "the wood of the desert". A bit better then what else you already can build, but requires no work to produce beyond the norm. Assuming one follows the limits on what materials you can even touch in your chests, cactus is pretty OK. Plus I prefer using Cactus weapons around that level due to the Spiny effect.(the more damaged it is, the more damage it can do in melee, but it is worse for mining)

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
yes, but it's still on par with Stone Pickaxes. It may be slower mining, but it can still mine that stuff.

And you're supposed to have crappy wooden tools in the Wood stage. Again, the whole point

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
HOELY CRAP mo' creatures is damn near impossible to deal with at T1. I am currently inside my dirt hovel and can't leave because there's a bee out there. Well, that and at least one wolf. And my hovel is close to a forest so you can be damn certain that there are plenty of bears in the area. And wolves. I did see a panda though.
EDIT: Also just saw your suggested backpack mod. Very nice, gonna use that.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
I came up with a chimney to light myself up during the hovel stage. It was crazy, like a 4-tall, displaced in a diamond-like format, group of dirt collumns with slabs on the top.
I have to say, I would never have come up with that if it wasn't for this challenge.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I came up with a chimney to light myself up during the hovel stage. It was crazy, like a 4-tall, displaced in a diamond-like format, group of dirt collumns with slabs on the top.
I have to say, I would never have come up with that if it wasn't for this challenge.

Yeah, you have to come up with some really cool designs just to keep safe. I ended up having to go back to the double door, half-maze airlock system I used on my very first world. Spider-proofing isn't required for the first wall but is very handy for riding out the night.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Y3XXA, what you said about Vanilla having a hard time getting through the Dirt Hovel stage stuck with me, so I modified the rules for that to say that anything and everything edible could be eaten.

You are out of supplies, and nearly starving. You can use anything and everything edible to keep yourself alive, no matter how disgusting.

Because that was a really good point.

I'm looking forward to pictures from everyone.

btw you guys seen the Element Animation Villager News thing?

heh......

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Y3XXA, what you said about Vanilla having a hard time getting through the Dirt Hovel stage stuck with me, so I modified the rules for that to say that anything and everything edible could be eaten.

Because that was a really good point.

I'm looking forward to pictures from everyone.

btw you guys seen the Element Animation Villager News thing?
heh......
Yes, very good. I still would rather farm, but now I've started working on my wooden stage. I'll do a recap image or two on why stage 1 is easy enough that you likely are worse off to skip it then to try to do the fast-tracking to stage 2.
Also dear god WHY ARE THERE NO COWS NEAR THIS VILLAGE?! I have to stop by the swamp. Not to get the cows(but they're there too) but to get some slimeballs to catch the cows.
Also I AM HOLDING A SIGN.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, very good. I still would rather farm, but now I've started working on my wooden stage. I'll do a recap image or two on why stage 1 is easy enough that you likely are worse off to skip it then to try to do the fast-tracking to stage 2.
Also dear god WHY ARE THERE NO COWS NEAR THIS VILLAGE?! I have to stop by the swamp. Not to get the cows(but they're there too) but to get some slimeballs to catch the cows.
Also I AM HOLDING A SIGN.

And I'm a Helicopter.

Hello.

Also, just realized that I forgot to mention the Mattock in the Wooden stage. derp. New rule: Mattocks can replace Axe/Shovel/Hoe requirements. Putting it on the wiki now.

Aaaaand Fast Track/Normal is done being polished up a bit. Feast your eyes. I may perform minor tweaks here and there, but Fast Track/Normal Stone Hamlet is pretty much done for now.

Forgot house upgrades for the Hamlet Hut section and the Player section for Normal. My bad.

.....yeah, Now we're cooking with Fast Track and Normal Fire

Aaaaand Hardcore is complete.

whew.

All done. for now.

:D

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Loving all the pictures of people starting up the challenge! My episode 3 is in the queue I think I will publish it tomorrow, and 4 is recorded already. I'm off to the stone age finally! =P

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
WHY did I put in the Hardcore rules that you need 32 of every sapling you have available for that challenge? I'm on what must be hour 4 of my Hovel Stage, and 3 of those hours have been planting trees to get saplings. That's getting the nerfbat. Along with the 32 seeds of every seed available rule. It's fine if you have maybe 3 kinds of seeds total, but when you have mods that put in like 12+ new kinds of seeds it gets ridiculous, especially when what seed you get is left up to chance.

And that's just Natura/MFR/Vanilla. What if I had ExtraBiomesXL installed and had another 4-6 kinds of trees nearby?

Nerf bat has been SWUNG.

I've gotta say, when I finally get my hands on a God Damn Wooden Axe (actually, Wooden Mattock), I am going to be singing sweet hallelujahs.

And I am OUT. Just when I thought I was done I realized I only had Spruce. A quick trip to my nearby snow biome and I had my 32 Spruce Saplings. I am such a bastard. the Hovel stage should not last anywhere NEAR this long, even with all challenges.

FFFFFF

but then, that's why I'm playing through with everything.

and, in the end, I got a nice picture of all my wood types.

2013-04-30_02.34.49.png

And I get to rage at myself.

But on the plus side, I've got 23 stacks of Logs. yes, not planks, LOGS. that I punched out of their homes. BY HAND.

23 stacks (1,472 Logs, ROUGHLY. I'm guesstimating the not-full stacks)

Some quick math, guesstimating about a second to punch out a log, that's 24.53 minutes doing nothing but punching logs. Not counting in grow times. or food gathering times. Or travel times. That is far too long, lol

>.<

eesh.

Yay Wooden Settlement Full Challenges stage!

WOODEN AXE/MATTOCK. THANK GOD.

So here are my seeds that I found this stage.

2013-04-30_02.57.29.png

Melons, Blackberries, Tomatoes, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, Raspberries, Grapes, Chili Peppers, Wheat, Cocoa, Barley, and Cotton.

......yeah, I've got a lot of seeds. Gonna go punch some more seeds to get one more melon seed so I can actually pass my *revised* Seed Challenge rules.

Though I still passed the classic Sapling Challenge.

2013-04-30_04.06.13.png

Copper Oreberries and a Mineshaft in a Ravine near my Settlement. woo.

And just because I planted all those seeds, here's what happened with that (not my final farm area, mind you--just temp to get some food):

2013-04-30_04.17.47.png

Granted, I planted a good 15 seeds after that from plants growing up and harvesting them, but....

Frying Pans are my new favorite weapon. Portable Food Furnace and weapon all in one.

2013-04-30_04.19.19.png

That is a Wooden Frying Pan Handle you see in the last picture. It looks like something Iron, but I'm fairly sure that it's a bug of being placed on the ground.

tangled+frying+pan.jpg

I have also taken to carrying the Tinker's Construct repair block with me wherever I go, along with a few logs of wood. Because yeah, these things break so fast.

So.....question for all you people--what is the name of your town/village/hamlet/settlement? I only realized I hadn't given mine a name when I wanted to name my Pickaxe after it.

Mine's called Neramore, after a place I made up like 10 years ago.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Mine is Hakeber Nation. It's my wife's name spelled backwards. I tend to name a lot of stuff after her. The very first thing I ever did in MC was to make 30x30 wall of smooth stone and write "I love you babe" in five-block tall letters made from torches. Each word has its own line. It was pretty epic.

Anyways, Hakeber Nation...

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Frying Pans are my new favorite weapon. Portable Food Furnace and weapon all in one.

tangled+frying+pan.jpg

So.....question for all you people--what is the name of your town/village/hamlet/settlement? I only realized I hadn't given mine a name when I wanted to name my Pickaxe after it.

Mine's called Neramore, after a place I made up like 10 years ago.

Haha love the Frying pan stuff! I'm not using Natura but that with all the berries and stuff it definately suits the early stages of this challenge, and yes you are crazy for so many saplings!

My town I have not officially named yet, I am waiting till I build the Town Hall to give it said name, I have some in mind tho:

- Dethtopia (my intiial idea, but everyone seems to use the 'topia' for utopias, my buddy Slipg8ers world is called Sliptopia, and a friend LexxinGames named a SimCity world Lexxtopia)

- Vaalumbria? (English kingdom of Northumbria gave me the idea)

Oh ya, here is episode 03 =D

GalaEnitan

Jul 29, 2019
Hello I just started this challenge. I'm doing the hardcore advancement on hardcore mode on ultimate 1.0.1 minecraft cause that's how i like to roll. I've done all of the dirt advancement and now starting on wooden settlement journey. The town name would be Port lilith since I'm built by the sea.
2013-04-30_15.58.47.png
This is all the stuff i gathered from my area to advance.
2013-04-30_15.28.05.png
This is my hovel nice and cozy.
2013-04-30_16.17.28.png
me with my leather helm and the start of building in the wooden settlement.

VaalDeth

Jul 29, 2019
Hello I just started this challenge. I'm doing the hardcore advancement on hardcore mode on ultimate 1.0.1 minecraft cause that's how i like to roll. I've done all of the dirt advancement and now starting on wooden settlement journey. The town name would be Port lilith since I'm built by the sea.
View attachment 3905
This is all the stuff i gathered from my area to advance.
View attachment 3906
This is my hovel nice and cozy.
View attachment 3907
me with my leather helm and the start of building in the wooden settlement.

Nice! Lilith huh.... Supernatural fan? =D (I know its from other things too, but thats what I think of!)

Also, good thinking out of the Dirt hovel box by making it a Clay hovel box! Hah

GalaEnitan

Jul 29, 2019
Nice! Lilith huh.... Supernatural fan? =D (I know its from other things too, but thats what I think of!)

Also, good thinking out of the Dirt hovel box by making it a Clay hovel box! Hah
Lol was annoying trying to dig out all the clay for the hardcore advancement. Not as nearly hard as gathering 32 saplings from the trees around me or seeds. I'm starting off my wheat farm, Just leveled the area where im gonna build the farmhouse
2013-04-30_16.46.04.png

The name Lilith is part of the lore i have made up.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
After dealing with a world-breaking bug involving a mod conflict, I have to start over yet again.

*headdesk/facepalm*

I'm skipping the dirt stage this time and going straight for wood. As long as I can keep this world going, I have the most amazing spawn in the history of spawns, and sweet pictures of a fully functional battle station, er wood settlement, will incoming soon. I think you all will love my farm. It's the best pre-automation farm I've ever built.

ETA: Cool pics of my farm

20130430172523.png

Nothing special here, just a multilevel, fully irrigated farm with designated sections for each type of plant. You may not be able to see it, but each section has a sign denoting the planted crops.

20130430172612.png

I let my tree farm grow wild to show the extent of it. There isn't any organization to it, just lots of saplings all together. I call it my 'automatic tree farm' because I automatically cut a tree down as soon as it grows. Well, except for this picture, of course.

20130430183136.png

Just some Cows and sheep hanging out in their pens. As you can see, I found some surface coal and lit up the place a little bit. The only land in this picture that hasn't been reshaped is the water in the lower-left and the land just above it and the trees in the back. The pool in the center of the farm was natural, but I squared the edges and leveled the area around it. I put 4 blocks of space between the fence and the higher ground so that nothing can jump over and start wrecking the place. That would suck so much.

20130430183152.png

My chicken pen on the other side of the farm. My farm is filling up slowly but surely. It doesn't help that Magic Crops plants don't always drop seeds. I'm full on Wheat, Carrots, and Potatoes, though. I could easily fill every empty space with those three, but that wouldn't be fun.

I haven't started on any buildings other than basic protection. Since this picture, I bred the hell out of those cows and made myself a full set of leather armor. My next goal is to mine up some coal and finish lighting the area.

I have one more picture that I'm really debating whether to show or wait until later. You see, I found a village. Duh, I had to get the carrots and potatoes from somewhere. This village doesn't have a blacksmith, a TC tower, or a beekeeper. It's pretty much worthless except for one chest in one house. It was the greatest haul from a single chest I have ever had. Everything in there is far above my level right now, and let's just say that I will be able to take a lot of shortcuts once I unlock the availability of the items.

GalaEnitan

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't started on any buildings other than basic protection. Since this picture, I bred the hell out of those cows and made myself a full set of leather armor. My next goal is to mine up some coal and finish lighting the area.

I have one more picture that I'm really debating whether to show or wait until later. You see, I found a village. Duh, I had to get the carrots and potatoes from somewhere. This village doesn't have a blacksmith, a TC tower, or a beekeeper. It's pretty much worthless except for one chest in one house. It was the greatest haul from a single chest I have ever had. Everything in there is far above my level right now, and let's just say that I will be able to take a lot of shortcuts once I unlock the availability of the items.

you could always slay 100 zombie and hope one carrot or potato drops like i had to no villages around me at all. Also found pumpkin seeds and made the refugee farm house
2013-04-30_18.06.00.png

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, Gala, you're crazy. Hardcore/Hardcore/Gregtech. That's......hardcore man. :p

I had trouble with Clay too, until I realized I could plop down a Dirt block near the clay so I was technically not swimming, and could punch faster. That really helps (in shallow water).

Rymmie--that farm is amazing.

Personally, my plan to make my town unique is to have an Overcity, and an Undercity--have Gravel pathways around town, and then underneath that, have a town for followers of Roki (Cubeaism). Buildings will be above and below the surface, with streets, alleys, shop fronts, etc, underground, mirroring what's going on up on the surface. So if a building has an entrance on the surface, underground it will have an entrance to the Undercity as well.

I also have plans for terraced farmlands, using natural water sources (no buckets). Standard water mechanics, dropping from a central point, and then terracing from there. Tree Farm underground to copy the top, etc.

I'm also going to be spending a bunch of time over the next few days writing, since we're moving along at a pretty great clip. What I'm mostly wrestling with at this point is Ars Magica. I want to do a lot with it because it's such a big mod, and awesome.

Here's my thinking at this particular moment:

Iron Village: Spellbooks/Spells, Novice Armor

Don't want to do much more because the Iron stage is where magic and technology are very barebones introduced. And Ars Magica really has a huge head start over all the other mods, if you discover several spells from dungeons/AM worldgen. Not really sure what to go next since I haven't spent much time with Ars Magica, but I'm thinking:

Redstone Discovery: Light Nexus, Calefactor, Journeyman Armor

Gold City: Crystal Pillar, Essence Conduit,

Glowstone Expansion (Nether): Dark Nexus, Caster, Seer Stone, Master Armor, Spell Research Table

Lapis Metropolis: Magic Fabricator, Essence Refiner,

Emerald Megalopolis: Archmage Armor, Essence Nexus

Diamond Capital:

Not an exhaustive list, certainly, but those are my ideas so far. Additions? Ideas? I badly need them.

If I don't get input I'll put what I think is appropriate in, and change it as needs be.