Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
We'd just end up at the same place as the Converter engines were pre-upgrades/lube/liquid nitrogen.

Why would you bother setting up Jet Fuel production for a Gas Turbine or Microturbine when you can simply use a ethanol powered Upgraded Gasoline engine? Especially if it works out that you can use shaft junctions to skip the required steps to get to the next tier of the upgrades without needing the extra non-gasoline engines. Even if you needed the Gas Turbine to get the upgrade, you'd only need to make enough Jet Fuel to make the first upgrade for the Gasoline engine. Most would likely then switch to the Gasoline Engines, even if just to use the much more easily renewable Ethanol.

The only way I could see this even working is with a fairly massive efficiency penalty for the upgraded gasoline engines, to the point of wondering whether the upgrades are even worth implementing in the first place.

Ok, point taken. Personally, I would say 'so what?' but this ain't my call or my mod.

I'll head back to lurker mode. Thanks for the replies :)

JoshBogs

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone. Stumbled across this community last week and was happy that I did.
I tried to read through this thread thoroughly, and I haven't been through the 700+ pages of the Minecraft forum thread, so sorry for any repeats.

• Shaft/gear and mount connection points - For realism lubrication is needed for metal on metal movement which is accounted for. As a suggestion could brass bearings be implemented? Lubricated brass bearings were used prior to ball bearings IRL and seems fitting for this application. Perhaps the top two ingots in the mount recipe could be replaced with brass ingots? Don't even need a crafting recipe for the bearings just use the brass ingots in-lieu of the two steel. Plus it would add some color to the builds. Only downside is that zink is not in the pack therefor brass cannot be crafted yet. Horrid mockup here.
  • Bedrock swords - The sharpness of bedrock swords is expected since bedrock is so hard but looting is an unexpected bonus. Could it be possible that the existing recipe could give just sharpness and adding a nether star (consumed) or dragon egg (unconsumed) would add the looting? It would add a bit more difficulty and much more work before achieving this awesome sword.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
No offence Josh, but there is very little reason to add brass other than aesthetics. It's generally accepted that RotaryCraft's stuff is created using what you can find or make. That is why most machines are made of nothing but steel; that's all Steve has to work with. That's also why you can send shaft power through any kind of teleportation portal and have it come out the other end, even though that's very unrealistic. If you have a portal, what's to stop you from putting a shaft through it?

That said, I would like to see a little more variety on the machines' color schemes, just as long as it doesn't lose that iconic steel cover that most machines are made out of.

As far as bedrock swords are concerned that's actually a pretty good point, though you have to consider that bedrock tools cannot be enchanted and adding another step to make full effect would just add unnecessary time and effort to implement. Just appreciate your OP bedrock sword while you have it as you probably worked your ass off to get to the bedrock tier anyway.

JoshBogs

Jul 29, 2019
Good point on the resources requirement I didn't even consider that. Aesthetics was a main driver for the idea. Was hesitant to say steampunk but could be very fitting.
That sword though. Best ever. Separating the enchants may bring up other issues like how other tools and armor got their enchantments. So maybe its not a joyous idea after all =(

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't be too against a paintbrush of sorts for all of the rotarycraft machines and shafts. You would be able to paint/retexture the gears, the shafts, the monitor, but not the casing.

Think of it like carpenter's mod where you can retexture certain parts of the block and like openblocks where you can modify the color of a block or part of a block.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I wouldn't be too against a paintbrush of sorts for all of the rotarycraft machines and shafts. You would be able to paint/retexture the gears, the shafts, the monitor, but not the casing.

Think of it like carpenter's mod where you can retexture certain parts of the block and like openblocks where you can modify the color of a block or part of a block.
A basic core of that was added in 1.5, but it was a global GLColor call, not area-based paint, as that is too much work to implement.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
Such a shame. If anything pops up that could be used to paint gears and shafts, that would be great.

Not really worth doing a whole lot of work just for a small graphical change, I suppose.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
@Reika, significant kudos are due to you! On our server I just setup 10 boring machines run by 11 gas turbines (jet engines @ 6%), with the 11th for logistics pipes for sorting. Even with it all on we still do 20 TPS, so this isn't causing lag at all. The output is insane and required LP to keep up with 1 stack per tick sorting to send to nullifier.

Thank you for your clean code!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
@Reika, significant kudos are due to you! On our server I just setup 10 boring machines run by 11 gas turbines (jet engines @ 6%), with the 11th for logistics pipes for sorting. Even with it all on we still do 20 TPS, so this isn't causing lag at all. The output is insane and required LP to keep up with 1 stack per tick sorting to send to nullifier.

This needs to be posted everywhere people whine about Borer lag. :D

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019

I can agree. On my old graphics card, when I was using windows Xp with 3 GB of RAM, (Computer has been upgraded since then) I got no lag from turning on ten of them at once either. They work SO much better than any other mining machine that I have seen.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
This needs to be posted everywhere people whine about Borer lag. :D

If that's a challenge I could likely ramp up the power until I get one operation per tick and cause a new chunk to be generated every 16 ticks. That'd cause some chunk generation lag. ;]

I should point out as a server operator that I'm using WorldBorder, and the boring machine bores off the edge just fine. I also have a daily trim operation that deletes all chunks outside that border. The boring machine continues just fine cutting off into the distance.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Not worth a troubleticket, but FYI I just had a restore a region file where an AE TileController was interfacing with Rotarycraft and crashed consistently. Given I'm on 25z I don't expect support, just wanted to give a warning to 1.6 pack users that AE may not play nice.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019

So, why did you need Logistics pipes, and what is missing / lacking in RotaryCraft pipes?

(I won't pretend that I can do magic with pneumatic pipes. Pipping things into a chest, vanilla hopper-sorts, and then pipes to the destination stinks. I must be overlooking something, right?)

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
So, why did you need Logistics pipes, and what is missing / lacking in RotaryCraft pipes?

(I won't pretend that I can do magic with pneumatic pipes. Pipping things into a chest, vanilla hopper-sorts, and then pipes to the destination stinks. I must be overlooking something, right?)

So it's rather amusing my piping rig. My bores are spaced vertically so that I bore a solid wall with no gaps, and each platform has the bore, a chest, a diamond gear, and a jet engine @ %6 via ECU. I'm using fluiducts to send fuel to them because they give even distribution from one central tank.

To get the items together out of the chests, I'm using an OpenBlocks Item Cannon on each level, pointing at the opposite wall of my dig. So when things turn on, all the blocks that are harvested get fired across empty space to hit the back wall and fall to the floor. That gives me excellent throughput because the cannons fire whole stacks once a second.

I then suck up everything with a vacuum hopper, and extract from it with LP. I ship matching items to four sides of a nullifier before routing to an obsidian chest that's on a simple slow itemduct into the cargo manager. My world border mining site is >2km from my base, so I have steve's carts with coal engines and chunk loaders covered in chests that make the trip back and forth instead of item teleporting (a personal challenge).

Now as to why I didn't use RoC pipes. First regarding jet fuel I can't get even distribution with the fuel lines. Fluid ducts gives even output, so I can take 1 bucket of fuel and divide it among all the engines.

Why I used item cannons instead of pipes to retrieve the bored materials, it was space saving to have no pipes and just drop the goods back down the hole I have from the overworld to bedrock. This has greater throughput than all piping systems except RoC Pneumatics.

Lastly that poor overwhelmed vacuum hopper could have been a RoC item vacuum, and I could have used RoC Pneumatic tubes to move things to the distribution point with a few stops for filtering. I think it would have been more bulky and required several intermediate steps into chests and such. The RoC Pneumatic tubes have great throughput and item filtering abilities, but because of space I normally save them for high volume point to point scenarios. I haven't been able to do multipoint systems with them.

If I didn't already have a large LP network going and spare parts, I'd have used something else.

Lastly I'd have to power the pneumatic tubes, which isn't impractical given they run great on a DC. The item vacuum needs at least steam, and I'm on a finite water world in a remote base where I don't have a rainwater cache setup. I won't use water generation like AA's, so it would be difficult to power.

Sound good?

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick question, about how much netherack should one stockpile for jet fuel? I currently have 262144+ netherack, and the boring machines are still going.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
I'm concerned my sense of humor is causing problems again :p

Your stockpile needs are directly proportionate to how much jetfuel you need and how long you want it to last. I gave you a silly answer as a result :)
Oh. Well then. I guess it is back to making some RTG's and a couple of recyclers...

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Oh. Well then. I guess it is back to making some RTG's and a couple of recyclers...

If you have a few stacks of ground netherrack dust... you're good to make a lot of jet fuel. It has expensive ingredients but makes large quantities. Using throttles on the jet engines and microturbines also extends the fuel economy.