Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
After reading that, a question. The article states that turbo jets get a maximum boost of 50%, citing an article "Basic study of the afterburner".

So, with a large focus on realism, why 200% output instead of 150% output?

(I am new to afterburners; heck, I never needed to know how a jet engine worked before RoC. Serious question.)
Thrust and shaft power are two different things and likely do not convert at a 1:1 ratio. Additionally, all RC power has to be powers of 2.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Thrust and shaft power are two different things and likely do not convert at a 1:1 ratio. Additionally, all RC power has to be (generated as) powers of 2.
I think the distinction is important since power can be transported as or consumed as non-powers-of-2. (notwithstanding that its factors will always be powers of 2 no matter what...interesting) Edit: I wanna play with these numbers when I get a chance tonight, can't back it up atm.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Dunno if this should be here or somewhere else, but I can't, for the life of me, seem to get ReactorCraft turbines to turn. In a creative world, I had the following fission reactor setup:

Code:
BBBBB
BFFFB
BFBFB
BFFFB
BBBBB

B = Boiler, F = Fuel...Rod, I think

It was 3 layers deep and being fed water via a Pressure Pipes high-capacity water setup I designed (which was working without issue), and fed fuel via a TE creative strongbox and Mekanism logistical sorting pipes. The main reactor part was working fine and producing steam quite easily. However, I put a regular turbine down, encased it (making sure nothing was in the way of the blades) in glass, and put a steam grate beneath the small end. The steam just uselessly flowed under the turbine and didn't turn it. I moved it to either side of the small end to no avail; gave it openings at the top for the steam to escape, again, to no avail. I even tried putting the steam grate at the big end, as well as moving it to either side and giving the steam a place to escape, and nothin worked. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Anyone got a picture of a working turbine for v3 of ReactorCraft? This is buggin the crap outta me.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Dunno if this should be here or somewhere else, but I can't, for the life of me, seem to get ReactorCraft turbines to turn. In a creative world, I had the following fission reactor setup:

Code:
BBBBB
BFFFB
BFBFB
BFFFB
BBBBB

It was 3 layers deep and being fed water via a Pressure Pipes high-capacity water setup I designed (which was working without issue), and fed fuel via a TE creative strongbox and Mekanism logistical sorting pipes. The main reactor part was working fine and producing steam quite easily. However, I put a regular turbine down, encased it (making sure nothing was in the way of the blades) in glass, and put a steam grate beneath the small end. The steam just uselessly flowed under the turbine and didn't turn it. I moved it to either side of the small end to no avail; gave it openings at the top for the steam to escape, again, to no avail. I even tried putting the steam grate at the big end, as well as moving it to either side and giving the steam a place to escape, and nothin worked. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Anyone got a picture of a working turbine for v3 of ReactorCraft? This is buggin the crap outta me.
RH: can you post an image of the steam hitting the turbine but refusing to turn it please?

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019

Code:
BBBBB
BFFFB
BFBFB
BFFFB
BBBBB

I had the same problem. One word: Lubricant. EDIT: It can just be pumped in on the small end on the shaft. I might be able to do pictures in a bit, schoolwork is a pain.

Reactions: Pyure

kefkakrazy

Jul 29, 2019

This was never in question.

Normally I'd say it makes more sense to just chain turbines together than to use the afterburner, but you're still limited to X (4?) junctioned turbines, so the afterburner gives you a pre-nuke means of getting larger scale energy before you get your feet wet with fission.

(Personally I don't see a particularly great need for this, but the animation and sound is cool so who cares)

I appreciate the responses, guys, I really do, but I'm not confused about afterburners! Just the converter upgrades, since for some reason (quite possibly sleep deprivation) I was having trouble getting a converter upgrade to apply to an engine the other night.

I was responding to the guy above me who said that the afterburner made the turbine more efficient, which I know (both from knowing what an afterburner is and from poking at the changelogs) isn't the case.

Thanks for the responses, I'mma bow out until something better occurs to me.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I had the same problem. One word: Lubricant. EDIT: It can just be pumped in on the small end on the shaft. I might be able to do pictures in a bit, schoolwork is a pain.
I'm an idiot. I completely forgot about the lube. I'll test it with lube and get back to ya.

[ETA]

Confirmed: I am, in fact, a moron. Creative porto-tank with lube, Ender IO fluid conduit, and the damn thing turned. I do have an issue to report, however: I tried using the angular transducer on a turbine generator, and Minecraft crashed. I might be behind by a version and this problem's already been fixed, but I figured I'd tell folks, anyways, just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm an idiot. I completely forgot about the lube. I'll test it with lube and get back to ya.

[ETA]

Confirmed: I am, in fact, a moron. Creative porto-tank with lube, Ender IO fluid conduit, and the damn thing turned. I do have an issue to report, however: I tried using the angular transducer on a turbine generator, and Minecraft crashed. I might be behind by a version and this problem's already been fixed, but I figured I'd tell folks, anyways, just in case.
Fixed in v3d.

Reactions: RavynousHunter

Mattasdqwe

Jul 29, 2019
Just a suggestion but perhaps something to kill the wither boss in an automated(ish) way could be a nice addition to RotaryCraft. Maybe something mechanical, keeping in theme with the other items in RC, that crushed/suffocated the wither with high amounts of torque.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Just a suggestion but perhaps something to kill the wither boss in an automated(ish) way could be a nice addition to RotaryCraft. Maybe something mechanical, keeping in theme with the other items in RC, that crushed/suffocated the wither with high amounts of torque.
Can't it be done with a mob harvester?

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Could just make the room outta dirt and ward it via Thaumcraft. That's how I manually farmed withers.
Ninja'd. I was going to say however, you could automate that with a few resonant energy cells, a couple of magnetostatics, a mob killer, vacuum, and a nether star generator.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Slippery Bees exist that make both Lubricant and Canola Seeds, but I don't think there is an Ethanol-making bee.