Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
No offence but couldn't it be said that lubricant is a bigger tech tree skip than ethanol? The amount of power needed to make lubricant is exactly 1 gasoline engine worth without needing gearboxes.

Besides, you still need to centrifuge out juices from the ethanol bees and process the result in order to get your ethanol. I doubt what would come out of a bee would be immediately usable as biofuel.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
No offence but couldn't it be said that lubricant is a bigger tech tree skip than ethanol? The amount of power needed to make lubricant is exactly 1 gasoline engine worth without needing gearboxes.

Besides, you still need to centrifuge out juices from the ethanol bees and process the result in order to get your ethanol. I doubt what would come out of a bee would be immediately usable as biofuel.
The power required to get lubricant from slippery bees is more than you need to produce lubricant normally.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
The power required to get lubricant from slippery bees is more than you need to produce lubricant normally.

That's the point i'm making. Ethanol is below lubricant in the tech tree so I see no balance reason why you wouldn't be able to produce it via bees.

Personally I think it's not worth doing bees for ethanol considering how easy it is to get/make but hey if people want to do it the hard way just to stay within their comfort zone that's their prerogative.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Don't know if this is possible or not. But it's related. Would it make sense to be able to use honey drops in the fermenter to get ethanol. Honey is mostly composed of sugar and can be used to produce alcohol in the world (ie: mead). So if this isn't already in the mechanics maybe it could be added

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Don't know if this is possible or not. But it's related. Would it make sense to be able to use honey drops in the fermenter to get ethanol. Honey is mostly composed of sugar and can be used to produce alcohol in the world (ie: mead). So if this isn't already in the mechanics maybe it could be added
This may be a good idea. Does it produce ethanol or some other alcohol?

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Ethanol. Mead is basically honey wine

Interesting historical note: it's where we get the term "honey moon". The brides family provided a month supply of mead to the newly weds

Maelstraz

Jul 29, 2019
Reika, can you add an option, which is replace that huge numbers with levels of torque and speed?

I mean, 1024 N/m is just 2^10, so 10th level of torque. It will be easier to remember for novice like me.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
Reika, can you add an option, which is replace that huge numbers with levels of torque and speed?

I mean, 1024 N/m is just 2^10, so 10th level of torque. It will be easier to remember for novice like me.

That's actually a pretty good idea. Even at the end game sometimes big numbers can get overwhelming and you need just a quick and dirty comparison. It also doesn't help that once you get into the megawatts it won't display the first 3 digits, leaving you to guess what they may be.

Having it as the normal display wouldn't work, though, because it's possible to get numbers in between tiers by using splitters or by chaining engines. It would probably work best as an extra display in the transducer or its own dynanometer. Rounding down to the closest level.

That way you can tell right away how much more power you need since almost everybody who plays video games is familiar with the concept that levels are harder to get the higher you get them.

The idea sounds silly in its current form but it has the potential to save a lot of hassle with debugging and complex setups.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be possible to make the gasoline and/or the performance engine upgradeable? Something similar to the tier upgrades of the converters and each upgrade increases both torque and speed and fuel consumption increases proportionally.

Here is how it played out in my head:
Upgrade 1 = 256 Nm, 1024 rad/s, 4x fuel
Upgrade 2 = 512 Nm, 2048 rad/s, 16x fuel
etc

Reactions: frogfigther

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019

I read that link. I saw someone that did not understand RoC. I saw someone who wanted RoC dumbed down.

I saw your statement, "Everything is powers of 2. It does not get easier than that."

And, I'm wondering. Is everything really powers of 2?

Sure, out of the generators, everything is a power of 2. And all minimum levels are powers of 2. But after that?

1% damage on a gearbox and suddenly your output is less than a power of 2. If all you have are "powers of 2", you might find that the machine you are sending that to is now only performing half as well, instead of only 99% as well.

Now, having the ability to see things as log2 -- complete with fractional parts -- while still having the full values internally? Good. I hope that was all that was meant.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Would it be possible to make the gasoline and/or the performance engine upgradeable? Something similar to the tier upgrades of the converters and each upgrade increases both torque and speed and fuel consumption increases proportionally.

Here is how it played out in my head:
Upgrade 1 = 256 Nm, 1024 rad/s, 4x fuel
Upgrade 2 = 512 Nm, 2048 rad/s, 16x fuel
etc
No. You want more power, make a better engine. Your "upgrades" put it in excess of the existing engines, plus of course presenting several techtree skips.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
No. You want more power, make a better engine. Your "upgrades" put it in excess of the existing engines, plus of course presenting several techtree skips.

Look at the magnetostatic engine. It starts off being a very weak engine and then eventually you can upgrade it to basically a gas turbine. Of course to do this, you need to craft upgrades, which will require you to touch a lot of machines in RoC. You also need liquid nitrogen, which is rather difficult to produce early on.

Doesn't this take you through the entirety of RoC? Wouldn't you be able to do the same thing with the other weaker engines or do you intentionally want weaker engines to stay where they are for design purposes?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't this take you through the entirety of RoC? Wouldn't you be able to do the same thing with the other weaker engines or do you intentionally want weaker engines to stay where they are for design purposes?
No because you need higher tier resources to craft the magnetostatic upgrades. And shaft junctions cannot take more than four engines as input as of recently.
Skipping the tech tree with this should be impossible and if not then it's a bug.

Reactions: rouge_bare

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
No because you need higher tier resources to craft the magnetostatic upgrades. And shaft junctions cannot take more than four engines as input as of recently.
Skipping the tech tree with this should be impossible and if not then it's a bug.

?

I'm not sure you understood what I was trying to convey. I was saying to make these upgrades I suggest require infrastructure within RoC, akin to the way the converters are set up. Maybe even use the upgrades that are present now.

Then I ask whether or not Reika would like to implement upgrades to the engine, which is totally fine for me if it's rejected, I just did not understand how tiering upgrades for a gasoline engine would be different than the tiering of the converters.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
?

I'm not sure you understood what I was trying to convey. I was saying to make these upgrades I suggest require infrastructure within RoC, akin to the way the converters are set up. Maybe even use the upgrades that are present now.

Then I ask whether or not Reika would like to implement upgrades to the engine, which is totally fine for me if it's rejected, I just did not understand how tiering upgrades for a gasoline engine would be different than the tiering of the converters.

We'd just end up at the same place as the Converter engines were pre-upgrades/lube/liquid nitrogen.

Why would you bother setting up Jet Fuel production for a Gas Turbine or Microturbine when you can simply use a ethanol powered Upgraded Gasoline engine? Especially if it works out that you can use shaft junctions to skip the required steps to get to the next tier of the upgrades without needing the extra non-gasoline engines. Even if you needed the Gas Turbine to get the upgrade, you'd only need to make enough Jet Fuel to make the first upgrade for the Gasoline engine. Most would likely then switch to the Gasoline Engines, even if just to use the much more easily renewable Ethanol.

The only way I could see this even working is with a fairly massive efficiency penalty for the upgraded gasoline engines, to the point of wondering whether the upgrades are even worth implementing in the first place.