Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Really? The updateEntity() loop is called every tick from the main game loop, and only every 20 cycles does temperature code get called.
So, does that mean that every 20 cycles, there is a chance that you will see a temporary spike?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
@Reika: is it possible to put Electricraft network recursion into a separate thread? I'm investigating some lag spike issues where our server stops responding for up to 90 seconds while jvisualvm says the server thread is in electricraft.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So, does that mean that every 20 cycles, there is a chance that you will see a temporary spike?
As I understand it: If we use the word "ticks", and say there's 20 ticks in a cycle, then yes every 20 ticks you'll see a temporary spike, but it will be half-way through a cycle. The explosion code doesn't fire until that cycle is complete.

choco218

Jul 29, 2019
Is that possible? That's terrifying and an alarmingly sensible theory.
No. The two are not asynchronous.

Well must apologize for scaring you then :p Anyway, that was highly unlikely, as I've seen multiples cases of ReC/RoC dealing perfectly with lag ( meaning : everything didn't went booom). Looks like @Reika do care about our computers =)

I tried that. Performance got much worse, and it led to all sorts of glitchiness.

Well, is it really possible to multithread modded MC ? especially RoC/ReC. I remember myself having some huge issues with TickThreading back in 1.6.4 days. Boring machines didn't exactly love the whole worldgen multithreading thing.

Goof

Feb 18, 2014
As I understand it: If we use the word "ticks", and say there's 20 ticks in a cycle, then yes every 20 ticks you'll see a temporary spike, but it will be half-way through a cycle. The explosion code doesn't fire until that cycle is complete.

What's ensuring the spikes remain in the middle of the cycle? Isn't it still possible to have a spike on the 20th tick? At this point the updateTemperature will see an overheated fuel cell and detonate, won't it?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Well, is it really possible to multithread modded MC ? especially RoC/ReC. I remember myself having some huge issues with TickThreading back in 1.6.4 days. Boring machines didn't exactly love the whole worldgen multithreading thing.

Jvisualvm shows many threads all the time. However the majority happens in a single thread. Logistics pipes an example that puts it's network processing in a separate thread.

@Reika: Reactorcraft v6e, can't get central control to raise control rods with 16 MW of power. They dance up a down a bit but never lock in.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I'm wondering... What prevents the temperature update check from not being the same tick as the neutron temp spike?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I'm wondering... What prevents the temperature update check from not being the same tick as the neutron temp spike?

Slow down, a neutron interaction increases the temp by 20-30C. The boiler extracts heat over 100C. Things don't melt until 1500C. That's a huge margin.

You would have to be already riding the edge of sensible configurations if a few neutrons piling in bumped you over the threshold.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Then what was pyure talking about, because I'm confused again

This is my understanding:

Cycle start
Tick0: Add heat <---- Heat now at its highest.
Tick0: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick1: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick2: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick3: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick4: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick5: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick6: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick7: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick8: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick9: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick10: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick11: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick12: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick13: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick14: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick15: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick16: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick17: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick18: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick19: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Check for explostions
End cycle
Cycle Start
End cycle

Reactions: Goof

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
@Reika: Reactorcraft v6e, can't get central control to raise control rods with 16 MW of power. They dance up a down a bit but never lock in.
Turn on "clientside power transfer" in the RC config and see if that fixes it.

This is my understanding:

Cycle start
Tick0: Add heat <---- Heat now at its highest.
Tick0: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick1: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick2: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick3: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick4: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick5: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick6: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick7: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick8: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick9: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick10: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick11: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick12: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick13: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick14: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick15: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick16: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick17: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick18: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Tick19: subtract heat (create steam too if necessary)
Check for explostions
End cycle
Cycle Start
End cycle
Not quite.

Heat is only subtracted if steam is created or conducted away. The former runs every tick and the latter every 20.

Unless you like corruption and "this will cause weird chunk breakages" spam, you absolutely cannot multithread worldgen.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Heat is only subtracted if steam is created or conducted away.
I knew this but didn't want to go into that much detail to answer the question.

The point being made was that yes there's a point where the heat spikes, but the explosion-check doesn't happen there. The explosion-check always happens after any valid heat-subtractions happen. Therefore the explosions are driven by a sort of "effective" temperature. The bounciness of the temperature due to the add/subtract mechanics isn't relevant.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if it would be possible to add a config option to make bedrock tools be breakable. Like have 4000 durability?

psp

Jul 29, 2019
No, this defeats their entire purpose and is inconsistent with how bedrock is treated.
Is it possible to add config option to disable bedrock tools?
You will probably say no, but it's worth a try.

JoshBogs

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to add config option to disable bedrock tools?
You will probably say no, but it's worth a try.

Having the ability to make bedrock tools is based in the core of RoC therefore shouldn't be disabled.