Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Why would covert jaguar even make it at 1000C? Do modders just use randint to find these numbers? Or is the pressurized boiler supposed to sustain that? Sounds like a pain to even think about how to convert it.
In fairness, there's nothing really "wrong" with it except that it doesn't precisely approximate real-world physics. If it were 500C, it wouldn't be an issue at all, and we're still talking about the same ballpark numbers.

Its an example of how "normal people" are making mods, and 1000 just happens to be a nice round number that's considerably higher than the minimum boiling range of 100C.

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to measure the pressure in Pipes? Some sort of sensor to output an redstone signal once the pressure is above a certain value so i can turn of the pump? If not, it would be an suggestion.

Also a question about the fission reactor:
This is the design i use for my breeder reactor.
4 x 3 breeder reactor cores with control rods beween.
The reactor did run just fine for about 1 week without problems, until one morning 1/4 of the reactor was molten into corium.
The cooling system was still running and the intact 3/4 of the reactor also were fine, only the control rods were inserted.

Is there a problem with my design, or must the reason be somewhere else?
I tought it might be because of the low tps of the server(RoC is not responsible for that, just many huge bases).
There are sometimes 15+sec lagspikes. Can it be, that a huge amount of neutrons gathers and heats the cores in one go to melting temp?

And, how laggy are Steamlines now? Some old posts said they are quite bad but now improved. I would like to build seperate Reactor and Turbine building, but that means 300+ blocks of steamlines.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Is there a way to measure the pressure in Pipes? Some sort of sensor to output an redstone signal once the pressure is above a certain value so i can turn of the pump? If not, it would be an suggestion.

The reactor did run just fine for about 1 week without problems, until one morning 1/4 of the reactor was molten into corium.
The cooling system was still running and the intact 3/4 of the reactor also were fine, only the control rods were inserted.

I tought it might be because of the low tps of the server(RoC is not responsible for that, just many huge bases).
There are sometimes 15+sec lagspikes. Can it be, that a huge amount of neutrons gathers and heats the cores in one go to melting temp?

And, how laggy are Steamlines now? Some old posts said they are quite bad but now improved. I would like to build seperate Reactor and Turbine building, but that means 300+ blocks of steamlines.
That looks like a fairly hot design, and I see no chunkloading.

As for steam lines, they should be fine.

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
That looks like a fairly hot design, and I see no chunkloading.
The chunkloader is in the next building and the reactor is fully chunkloaded.
The temperature allways seemed stable, the cooling could easily keep up.

What about my first question?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The chunkloader is in the next building and the reactor is fully chunkloaded.
The temperature allways seemed stable, the cooling could easily keep up.

What about my first question?
I'd forgotten how neat ReC designs were. Reika I still hope you differentiate heat and temperature one day (making Bad Things only happen based on temperature)

Blood Asp, what are the (blue) blocks between the reflectors and boilers?

I also thought that was a hot design until I realized it was 4 Ls not 4 quads. That should be pretty stable so long as the inner boilers are all receiving water properly. The corner cores with so many adjacent boilers shouldn't get very hot at all, even in a breeder.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
What fundamentally does that bring?
I'm a fan of how the "heat" is used mathematically to subtract water and add steam. But because its spasmodic (on a chart it flies up and down orders of magnitude faster than a reactor over a similar volume) I don't like that the safety of my reactor hinges on it.

Heat should fly up and down in a block exactly the same way it does now, but temperature should "trend". Even in a runaway scenario it should be more of a slope and less jagged lightning.

Fundamentally it would give manual and/or scram measures a couple more seconds to respond to a problem.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a fan of how the "heat" is used mathematically to subtract water and add steam. But because its spasmodic (on a chart it flies up and down orders of magnitude faster than a reactor over a similar volume) I don't like that the safety of my reactor hinges on it.

Heat should fly up and down in a block exactly the same way it does now, but temperature should "trend". Even in a runaway scenario it should be more of a slope and less jagged lightning.

Fundamentally it would give manual and/or scram measures a couple more seconds to respond to a problem.

It does gradually go up and down. The issue is tolerance vs acceleration. The tolerances are relatively fine compared to the potential heat output, which is why some reactors are "hotter".

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019

I could see the chunkloader issue (neutron pileup) also coming into play during high lag spikes. It may be you need to run a cooler reactor (less cores).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It does gradually go up and down. The issue is tolerance vs acceleration. The tolerances are relatively fine compared to the potential heat output, which is why some reactors are "hotter".
My experience was different. The heat was applied in spikes, and reduced in a cycle.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That's because the heat creation is FAST, while the diffusion of heat between blocks is slower and based on the difference in temperature.
Do you get that heat-addition/subtraction is an excellent game mechanic but an unrealistic simulation?

Its simple for instance to create a scenario where a certain temperature should be effectively impossible except that because heat is added before its subtracted, you hit those temperatures all the time.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Do you get that heat-addition/subtraction is an excellent game mechanic but an unrealistic simulation?

Its simple for instance to create a scenario where a certain temperature should be effectively impossible except that because heat is added before its subtracted, you hit those temperatures all the time.
?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
R

My point was that it takes time for the heat to dissipate into the adjacent blocks, which must their either dissipate the heat or be cooled (ie: make steam). If you create heat too fast, and then you have a lag bump, it may overwhelm the unit.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
RailCraft claims its steam is at 1000C, which is well beyond the point at which the water disassociates (and possibly even the gases ionizing), making it completely unusable as a reference. I turned to BigReactors next, but found no numerical thermodynamics code, so went with what logic implies for a hand-built non-pressurized boiler.

I agree that 100C is reasonable for a non-pressurized boiler. If anything, it's probably low -- the steam would start to condense water out quickly.

I was thinking of the nature of the steam pipes/lines. I thought that in both ReC and RaC (Reactor, Rail, Rotary, all these R mods), you had pipes that could carry much more than one block/unit of steam per block of pipe; heck, turning one bucket of water into steam in only a single block of space implies massive pressurization and heat if the bucket is holding a full block of water.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
R

My point was that it takes time for the heat to dissipate into the adjacent blocks, which must their either dissipate the heat or be cooled (ie: make steam). If you create heat too fast, and then you have a lag bump, it may overwhelm the unit.
I understand what you're saying, and I honestly agree with it in principal but not as its currently applied.

When Reika's neutrons are flying around, they're governed by his onNeutron method. When they strike a valid target, they immediately flash up that target's contained temperature.

The temperature increases depend on the fuel but range from 15C to 30C, but that means per-neutron each core can instantly increase 30C. Now while I'm sure you can argue that these sorts of temperature flashes are occurring in a reactor, they're happening at a molecular level, not a macro cubic-meter level. A "boiler" (as a proxy for a section of a BWR or other reactor) shouldn't be instantly flashing dozens of degrees celcius at a time (over a large volume of liquid).

And once updateEntity() detects that the temperature is high
Code:
  this.overheat(world, x, y, z); // Your base goes all sadface here

smallprint: I dont know how often updateEntity() is called and to what extent the heat can dissipate before its called. Hopefully fully.

Thorium now? Neato.

Kotaro

Jul 29, 2019
I understand what you're saying, and I honestly agree with it in principal but not as its currently applied.

When Reika's neutrons are flying around, they're governed by his onNeutron method. When they strike a valid target, they immediately flash up that target's contained temperature.

The temperature increases depend on the fuel but range from 15C to 30C, but that means per-neutron each core can instantly increase 30C. Now while I'm sure you can argue that these sorts of temperature flashes are occurring in a reactor, they're happening at a molecular level, not a macro cubic-meter level. A "boiler" (as a proxy for a section of a BWR or other reactor) shouldn't be instantly flashing dozens of degrees celcius at a time (over a large volume of liquid).

And once updateEntity() detects that the temperature is high...

Once the temperature hits a critical failure point, wouldn't it violently fail? Or are you saying that instead of the boiler going from 30C to 400C back to 30C in a second isn't that great, and it should be more of a gradual rise/fall while there is fluid in it?

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I'm a big fan of thorium reactors, too (I've seen cool designs for short-term thorium microreactors,) but that's basically Big Reactors in general.

Now feeding that steam into RoC turbines, tho...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2