Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

LoaTBaC

Jul 29, 2019
One thing that would be nice to add in the Reactorcraft config file would be an option to disable spawning with the Reactorcraft handbook, considering that there is already an option like that for Rotarycraft.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
After doing a lot of thinking, I have come to the conclusion that the DC electric engine is OP.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!??! ITS SO SH**TY!!! I hear you saying... Hear me out.

It's not about how much power it produces but how easily it does so. It is the only engine in rotarycraft that doesn't require any consumables or planning what so ever. Just place down a redstone torch and the engine and you're done. It's also got 0 risks and is dirt cheap to manufacture.

Why is that a problem? It's a low end engine with low end power outputs. The problem arises when you realize how many options the DC engine opens up. Some of the machines can be run directly off of 1-4 of these little engines.

Here's a list of every single device that can run off of 1-4 DC engines:

One Engine -

Floodlight & Projector (Okay to be fair, they're just fancy lights)
Pump (Can run 1 operation per tick with 4:1 gearbox)
Liquid Distillery (Turn your oil into lubricant)
Fan (Autoharvest 7 blocks ahead with 4:1 gearbox)
Fertilizer (Helps early-game canola farming)
Filling Station (Great for early-game jetpack use)
Sorting Machine (This under-rated gem is actually really useful)
Pneumatic Pump (Amazing item transportation system)
Boring Machine (Semi-reliable mining with gearboxes)

Multiple Engines -

Bucket Filler (Automatically turn nether lava into furnace fuel)
Lava Smeltery (Amazing early-game smelting solution)
Fluid Crystallizer (Not very useful except making ice)
Grinder (Still need gearboxes, though)
Mob Harvester (Auto mob grinder)
Scaleable Chest (Meh. Just 9 slots)
Pipe Pump (Get the most out of your pipes with 4 gearboxes)

All of these amazing options become available with the DC electric engine, some gearboxes possibly, and shaft junctions. Unlike the other engines that require a lot of work and/or planning in order to keep running, the DC electric engine does not. Even the next tiered wind turbine needs to be placed at high elevations with no obstructing blocks for maximum power output.

Inb4DCenginenowrequireslubricant

Last edited:

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
You'd have a point, Omega, if several of your ideas didn't require gearboxes (which require lubricant) and took into account that practically anything running on DC power alone will be incredibly slow to the point of near-worthlessness (outside useful things like the floodlight, fermenter, and pneumatic item pump). Even you point out that power a grinder with DC engines requires gearbox use, which requires lubricant, which you can only get with a grinder, and if you're going "hur, gonna power everythang with da DC engine," then it just won't work because the gearbox will degrade into uselessness long before you get anything out of it. I dunno if you've noticed, but without lube, gearboxes degrade alarmingly fast, and the liquid distillery requires BuildCraft to turn oil into lube, which people may or may not have depending on the modpack in use and/or their own personal tastes.

So, basically, you only really have anything resembling a point if you count machines meant to operate with external mods' stuff. So, the solution to your dilemma isn't to nerf the DC engine or whatever, because let's face it, Reika will probably just laugh at you, but to increase the power requirements for the distillery, which might actually be taken halfway seriously.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
After doing a lot of thinking, I have come to the conclusion that the DC electric engine is OP.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!??! ITS SO SH**TY!!! I hear you saying... Hear me out.

It's not about how much power it produces but how easily it does so. It is the only engine in rotarycraft that doesn't require any consumables or planning what so ever. Just place down a redstone torch and the engine and you're done. It's also got 0 risks and is dirt cheap to manufacture.

Why is that a problem? It's a low end engine with low end power outputs. The problem arises when you realize how many options the DC engine opens up. Some of the machines can be run directly off of 1-4 of these little engines.

Here's a list of every single device that can run off of 1-4 DC engines:

One Engine -

Floodlight & Projector (Okay to be fair, they're just fancy lights)
Pump (Can run 1 operation per tick with 4:1 gearbox)
Liquid Distillery (Turn your oil into lubricant)
Fan (Autoharvest 7 blocks ahead with 4:1 gearbox)
Fertilizer (Helps early-game canola farming)
Filling Station (Great for early-game jetpack use)
Sorting Machine (This under-rated gem is actually really useful)
Pneumatic Pump (Amazing item transportation system)
Boring Machine (Semi-reliable mining with gearboxes)

Multiple Engines -

Bucket Filler (Automatically turn nether lava into furnace fuel)
Lava Smeltery (Amazing early-game smelting solution)
Fluid Crystallizer (Not very useful except making ice)
Grinder (Still need gearboxes, though)
Mob Harvester (Auto mob grinder)
Scaleable Chest (Meh. Just 9 slots)
Pipe Pump (Get the most out of your pipes with 4 gearboxes)

All of these amazing options become available with the DC electric engine, some gearboxes possibly, and shaft junctions. Unlike the other engines that require a lot of work and/or planning in order to keep running, the DC electric engine does not. Even the next tiered wind turbine needs to be placed at high elevations with no obstructing blocks for maximum power output.

Inb4DCenginenowrequireslubricant
The fact 90% of RC players have never even used one DC engine because they consider it worthless, and how every starting guide recommends skipping it entirely, and how the wind and steam engines also require no maintenance with 4x and 16x the power output, and the fact that none of those machines are supposed to be late-game, proves the claim of the DC engine being overpowered to be completely and utterly wrong.

but to increase the power requirements for the distillery, which might actually be taken halfway seriously.
Done. 8kW.

Reactions: abculatter_2

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
You guys are missing the point.

Unlike other engines which require preparation or planning, you can place the DC engine anywhere and get free power with just a redstone source. This wouldn't be as big as an issue if it wasn't for the fact that it can run so many devices.

Sure the wind and steam engines both have superior power outputs but they also require you set them up in a specific way. Wind requires you place it way up in the sky, which means ground-bases will either need to move or make a lot of shafts. The steam engine requires water to be pumped and netherrack in order to get a stable temperature. Every other engine in the mod requires some sort of positioning or fuel in order to run.

As far as gearboxes go, all you have to do is run an Eff 5 Fort 3 boring device at the diamond layer for a few minutes and you'll sooner or later get enough diamonds to make some gearboxes. With 4 steam engines you can start up lubricant production and fill them up to 1,000 mB of lubricant and you'll never need to lubricate them again. Now they are ready to use with the DC engine to power your devices.

The pump can get 1 operation/tick with just a single dc engine. How is that near worthless? Take that to a nether ocean and get enough lava to smelt for years.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
You guys are missing the point.

Unlike other engines which require preparation or planning, you can place the DC engine anywhere and get free power with just a redstone source. This wouldn't be as big as an issue if it wasn't for the fact that it can run so many devices.
Most of which gain nothing from being run at so low a power. And again, the entry level engine being free power was the point.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Omega, instead of complaining about RotaryCraft's version of the BC redstone engine being, in your mind, overpowered, how about suggesting a way to make it not overpowered? All you've done til now is flail and whinge, you haven't brought much of actual substance to the argument.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
It's fine that the low level engine exists and is free, the problem is that so many options are available with the thing. Just up the power requirements of certain things and it's fine.

Forget about all of that, though. I found something even more overpowered:

IHsDWrD.png

Electricraft will take the voltage of one wire and add the amperage of another. High level gearboxes can lead to a ridiculous power outputs. Usually a voltage of 0 or an amperage of 0 will produce a useless 0 watts, however when you add the voltage and amperage together, it's a different story.

The glitch also relies on the fact that shafts and some gearboxes still transmit torque/speed even if the power is worth 0 watts.

Last edited:

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Quick request, I just tested this (1.7.10 V2); would it be possible to add support for detecting mobs from other mods (lycanites mobs, in this case) for the defensive weapons? I tried placing/powering an Anti-Air Gun, it fires at ghasts fine but seems to ignore modded mobs. I was really hoping to use one to defend our base, but alas. This is also the case with the laser, it seems to ignore any non-vanilla mobs, sadly.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Quick request, I just tested this (1.7.10 V2); would it be possible to add support for detecting mobs from other mods (lycanites mobs, in this case) for the defensive weapons? I tried placing/powering an Anti-Air Gun, it fires at ghasts fine but seems to ignore modded mobs. I was really hoping to use one to defend our base, but alas. This is also the case with the laser, it seems to ignore any non-vanilla mobs, sadly.
No, it only ignores mobs that are hostile yet are not instances of EntityMob. V3 introduces a workaround for this, but it is yet to be seen if that makes it target nonhostile mobs as well.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Ohh ... ElectriCraft and rotarycraft.

Question: Can I hook up 4 hydros to an electric wire, repeat that 10 or 20 times, combine all the wires togeher, and then convert that wire back to shaft power?

LoaTBaC

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be possible to make corium from Reactorcraft emit radiation?
Also, perhaps you could make a version of the night vision helmet containing a bedrock helmet rather than a diamond helmet, similar to how you made the bedrock spring boots?

Last edited:

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
I have a quick suggestion for ElectriCraft. Having the RF cable network GUI open everytime you place a RF transfer cable unless shift-clicking is kind of annoying, could there be some other way to have the GUI open? Like maybe only clicking on a node would open it? or some easy peasy wrench? Or the angular transducer?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I have a quick suggestion for ElectriCraft. Having the RF cable network GUI open everytime you place a RF transfer cable unless shift-clicking is kind of annoying, could there be some other way to have the GUI open? Like maybe only clicking on a node would open it? or some easy peasy wrench? Or the angular transducer?
Define "node".

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
Define "node".
Oh I was probably using the wrong word. Some memory of extra utilities or something:p But I just meant anywhere the RF transfer cables hooks up to anything but itself. So you could adjust the GUI at the input/output, but along the length of the cable it will behave and place like the other cables.