Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
That makes more sense. The distillery distills non-RC liquids into RC liquids. Well if you want to lose 99% of the energy...

That oil -> lube though.

I'm pretty sure the amount of energy you can get from 6000 mBs of lubricant on a hydrokinetic is greater than the amount of energy you get from a single bucket of oil.

Alright. After doing some tests I have found out the conversion rates of oil vs lubricant + hydro. To mesure the RF value of oil, I converted it into MJ in a combustion engine and then into RoC power with the Pneu and finally into RF with the dynamo. I just used the dynamo with the hydrokinetics and put in 6 buckets of lubricant.

6 Lubricant: ~225 kRF - Speed: 372 RF/t
1 BC Oil: -173 kRF - Speed: 30 RF/t

Lubricant + hydro is the clear winner here. Convert to RF and then use in oil fabricator. Repeat. PROFIT!

Now i'm going to do one further and test the fuel enhancer with BC fuel. I will be using the Gas Turbine and allow it to spin up and down fully and do the math to determine RF per bucket. I will also do another test with the ECU on the most efficient setting. For BC I will use the fuel powered engine since it has the same power output as the combustion engine.

1 Jet fuel: 1,079 kRF - Speed: 11,924 RF/t
1 Jet fuel (ECU): 1,201 kRF - Speed: 745 RF/t
2 BC Fuel (Fuel-powered engine): 3,300 kRF - Speed: 46 RF/t
2 BC Fuel (Combustion engine): 3,416 kRF - Speed: 60 RF/t

The answer is clear: Always convert your Buildcraft liquids to Rotarycraft. You get way more energy and much faster too. Fuel seems to be more effective than jet fuel but also takes a lot longer to burn if you are willing to wait.

Last edited:

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
What about build complexity, amount of space it requires and the additional material costs?

To mesure the RF value of oil, I converted it into MJ in a combustion engine and then into RoC power with the Pneu and finally into RF with the dynamo.

You know that 1MJ is 10RF right?

From what I remember BC fuel gave 600,000MJ in the combustion engine.
[the actual gain would be slightly less due to running a refinery and water pump]
{Railcraft/GregTech boiler might work out even more per bucket when its fully cooked up}

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
What about build complexity, amount of space it requires and the additional material costs?

You know that 1MJ is 10RF right?

From what I remember BC fuel gave 600,000MJ in the combustion engine.
[the actual gain would be slightly less due to running a refinery and water pump]

{Railcraft/GregTech boiler might work out even more per bucket when its fully cooked up}

Converting oil into lubricant can get heavy if you want to do it on a large scale but considering you're getting so much power so fast, it's worth the investment. If you just want a small bit of power by no means am I forcing you to use the bulkier, more efficient distillery method. You're just losing out on quite a bit of power that you have to wait a long time for.

Yes, I do realize the conversion rates of MJ and RF. The reason I did it this way was because MJ has losses in storage and transfer and I needed to store the energy in the same container in order to get an unbiased sample. I used TE's energy cell for this reason.

I'll get back to you once I finish my sample. To keep things fair, i'm going to sample the numbers in the same way rather than get some out of a manual or forum thread.

Funny you mention that. I was just doing experiments on Railcraft -> Rotary. I'll let you guys know if I find anything effective. The fact you have to use lubricant to convert means that a very good source of steam would be necessary in order to make it worth over hydrokinetics. Not going to bother doing GregTech since it's just a poorly designed mod that will never get compatibility as long as Reika is in charge.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Not going to bother doing GregTech since it's just a poorly designed mod that will never get compatibility as long as Reika is in charge.

I find it hard to take people seriously when you feel the need to randomly shit over other mods like that- without providing any evidence/facts to backup why something is 'poorly designed'.
[conceptual incompatibility is not a reason in itself]​

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I find it hard to take people seriously when you feel the need to randomly shit over other mods like that- without providing any evidence/facts to backup why something is 'poorly designed'.
[conceptual incompatibility is not a reason in itself]​
I could give a half dozen reasons why some people would consider GregTech to be very poorly designed (using its default settings), but this isn't the thread for that. Suffice to say, its an opinion; just as one man's trash is another's treasure, one man's treasure is another man's trash.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
Turns out that using steam -> shaft power is not very effective. All the effort it takes to get the steam could have easily gotten you much more RF or shaft power. It's nice that the steam turbine is silent, though; that alone makes it worth it for storage. Also if you have an effective setup you can turn a lot of useless coal into a reasonable amount of almost-free power.

Perhaps I shouldn't have dropped a bomb on Gregtech like that seeing as some people really do enjoy it. The reason I didn't provide any proof for my statement was because this thread is about Rotarycraft, not Gregtech. I still stand by my statement, however. It's just one big unbalanced resource sink.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
Took another crack at doing inter-dimensional shaft power and even multiplying and dividing the nether/overworld co-ords by 8 gives me trouble.

So that gave me an idea: Add the ability to use the transducer on a portal to give the mod's interpretation of where it hooks up to.

Example:

Portal Transmitting 8.590 GW @ 131072 rad/s
Portal Connects to DIM-1: 552, 42, -5328

It would make debugging inter-dimensional power so much easier. Maybe even include a red/green render in the areas the power is being sent to/from when wearing your IO glasses.

Last edited:
Reactions: EyeDeck

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
Just thought of another idea: Unlockable entries in the manual.

One of the biggest scares of RotaryCraft when I first started was the monstrous manual you start with that goes on and on about stuff you can't even touch yet. Even to this day I find myself struggling to finding entries because of their seemingly random placement. I still click random icons to see if I accidentally missed something and sometimes I actually do.

How to remedy this? Sort the handbook into the official tech tree and require you to unlock the entries with your progress, of course. That way you'll never be given information you can't even use! It also gives the player a rewarding feeling when they unlock even more pages to the point that one would actually want read the thing to find out what they can do next.

These pages would unlock as you progress in the mod. When you first start out all you have is the basic information and the entries for the blast furnace and the workbench. After you make the workbench, you would unlock the next tier which shows you the wind turbine and DC electric articles, as well as the basics of shaft power. Continue upwards until you get to the bedrock tier. Congratulations, you have successfully assimilated an otherwise confused noob into the RotaryCraft master race and have vastly improved the manual in the process.

The articles could go as follows in order:

Table of Contents: Sorts all the tiers.
Noob Tier: Just starting out. How to make steel and workbench.
Worktable Tier: How to make engines and what to do with shaft power.
Gasoline Tier: How to make lubricant.
Lubricant Tier: How to use gearboxes and obtain jet fuel.
Microturbine Tier: How to obtain tungsten.
Gas Turbine Tier: How to obtain bedrock.
Bedrock Tier: How to make bedrock tools.

Oh and for the love of the gods put the physics and "mod compatibility" stuff at the back. Nobody wants to read that going in. Not even me. First thing I saw after skipping the Table of Contents was "Blah blah watts kilowats blah blah rads means radians per second blah blah fuck this I'm googling this shit"

Last edited:

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019

One of the biggest scares of RotaryCraft when I first started was the monstrous manual you start with that goes on and on about stuff you can't even touch yet. Even to this day I find myself struggling to finding entries because of their seemingly random placement. I still click random icons to see if I accidentally missed something and sometimes I actually do.

How to remedy this? Sort the handbook into the official tech tree and require you to unlock the entries with your progress, of course. That way you'll never be given information you can't even use! It also gives the player a rewarding feeling when they unlock even more pages to the point that one would actually want read the thing to find out what they can do next.

These pages would unlock as you progress in the mod. When you first start out all you have is the basic information and the entries for the blast furnace and the workbench. After you make the workbench, you would unlock the next tier which shows you the wind turbine and DC electric articles, as well as the basics of shaft power. Continue upwards until you get to the bedrock tier. Congratulations, you have successfully assimilated an otherwise confused noob into the RotaryCraft master race and have vastly improved the manual in the process.

Oh and for the love of the gods put the physics and "mod compatibility" stuff at the back. Nobody wants to read that going in. Not even me. First thing I saw after skipping the Table of Contents was "Blah blah watts kilowats blah blah rads means radians per second blah blah fuck this I'm googling this shit"

While I like the idea of progressive documentation to help provide direction, I can't agree with the physics documentation being removed. That's the heart of the mod, and if you can't wrap your head around it it'll cause you problems.

Perhaps just dividing it into a series of books, perhaps by existing chapter or available by tier.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
While I like the idea of progressive documentation to help provide direction, I can't agree with the physics documentation being removed. That's the heart of the mod, and if you can't wrap your head around it it'll cause you problems.

I just edited the post for clarity. I never suggested to remove the physics section of the manual. I just don't think it's something that should be right in a new players face as they curiously check out the manual for the very first time.

You also can't honestly say that I need to know the exact definitions of terms to know how the mod works. I can explain the first page in laymans terms in one line:

rad/s is speed, Nm is force, watts is both multiplied.

Perhaps just dividing it into a series of books, perhaps by existing chapter or available by tier.

Not into a series of books. Tinkers does this and I just end up throwing away the books because usually when i'm starting out inventory space is a premium. That's the exact opposite of what you want to encourage.

It would also be a royal pain to anybody who has unlocked Bedrock tier and has to shuffle through 20 different books just to find what they were looking for.

While i'm at it, and because i'm bored, behold the Tl;Dr manual!

Rad/s is speed.
Nm is force.
Watts are both multipied.

Nm is also called torque.
Torque is needed to run things.
Rad/s is also called speed.
Speed makes things work faster.

Things will break if you overload them.

Here are the load limits you will never read until you lose half of your wood supply to broken shafts.

And if you enjoy crashing your game, here are load limits for flywheels.

Shaft power is not electricity. Do not treat it like electricity.

Here is a list of machine tiers you will never read until you figure out you can click the arrow keys to see more interesting machines.

Here is a list of speed times that you will never read until you get hopelessly addicted to this mod to the point you actually look up what the fuck a 'log_2.0' is.

Config alerts: These do not concern you unless you're using a 3rd party guide or already know what you're doing.

You need lubricant to do most things. Use a grinder and canola seeds to get lubricant.

Canola grows like wheat but why is this entry after the lubricant one?

Here's how to make a device that shows you debug-esque information that will go right over your head. It also makes colors come out of your machines which will also go right over your head.

Here's the one thing that makes placing things not require taking out a 20x20 area and many hours just to get the right angle. It also causes frustration when you accidentally rotate your stairs because you put it next to your food slot.

You can enchant machines. Bet you didn't know that! We also forgot to emphasize how OP these enchantments are.

None of this is important.

You can use computers to control the mod, but good luck figuring out how.

Last edited:

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I just edited the post for clarity. I never suggested to remove the physics section of the manual. I just don't think it's something that should be right in a new players face as they curiously check out the manual for the very first time.

You also can't honestly say that I need to know the exact definitions of terms to know how the mod works. I can explain the first page in laymans terms in one line:

Not into a series of books. Tinkers does this and I just end up throwing away the books because usually when i'm starting out inventory space is a premium. That's the exact opposite of what you want to encourage.

It would also be a royal pain to anybody who has unlocked Bedrock tier and has to shuffle through 20 different books just to find what they were looking for.

Rad/s is speed.
Nm is force.

Here are the load limits you will never read until you lose half of your wood supply to broken shafts.

Here is a list of machine tiers you will never read until you figure out you can click the arrow keys to see more interesting machines.

Here is a list of speed times that you will never read until you get hopelessly addicted to this mod to the point you actually look up what the fuck a 'log_2.0' is.

Config alerts: These do not concern you unless you're using a 3rd party guide or already know what you're doing.

You need lubricant to do most things. Use a grinder and canola seeds to get lubricant.

Here's how to make a device that shows you debug-esque information that will go right over your head. It also makes colors come out of your machines which will also go right over your head.

Here's the one thing that makes placing things not require taking out a 20x20 area and many hours just to get the right angle. It also causes frustration when you accidentally rotate your stairs because you put it next to your food slot.

You can enchant machines. Bet you didn't know that! We also forgot to emphasize how OP these enchantments are.

Why not write docs for the FTB Wiki for RoC?

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019

Rad/s is speed.
Nm is force.

You can use computers on RoC machines? And enchant them? Ok then!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

The articles could go as follows in order:

Table of Contents: Sorts all the tiers.
Noob Tier: Just starting out. How to make steel and workbench.
Worktable Tier: How to make engines and what to do with shaft power.
Gasoline Tier: How to make lubricant.
Lubricant Tier: How to use gearboxes and obtain jet fuel.
Microturbine Tier: How to obtain tungsten.
Gas Turbine Tier: How to obtain bedrock.
Bedrock Tier: How to make bedrock tools.

This is not going to happen.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
It would be nice if MFR rubber leaves worked in the fermenter, and maybe also dry rubber leaves for one sludge.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
It would be nice if MFR rubber leaves worked in the fermenter, and maybe also dry rubber leaves for one sludge.

I found quite a few leaves work in it. My favorites are Thaumcraft's Greatwood (8 sludge), and silverwood (64 sludge).

Silverwood on our server was very hard to get. It didn't spawn in the overworld, you have to quest to another dimension (Twilight) and search for them.