Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Three suggestions:
1. A machine (or pipe requiring pressure) to accept fluids/gases and dump them into the environment (Basically like BC's flood gate but actually useful/fast and supporting RoC gases. Mmm, pure oxygen+heat source...)
2. Liquefied concrete to seal up our failed reactor experiments. Not that I know anything about those...*cough*
3. Just a random thought - Sure there's the Hydrokinetic Engine....but why not take that a step further and develop a multiblock water-driven turbine such as in a hydroelectric dam? Perhaps have output determined by the L/W/D of the upstream water source, if possible. (Catastrophic failure could have fun consequences if the dam blows...)

Last edited:
Reactions: bounding star

Scott DTA

Jul 29, 2019
Not gotten into RoC yet, so not sure if something like this is already in there or not. How about a shaft driven air compressor that is compatible with pneumaticcraft?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I think you threw Reika's #1 rule out the window: Realism.

The only "realistic" thing about RotaryCraft is the math behind the power values and the information in some of the books. I Think Reika is going for "Real as the Minecraft physics let it be".
It's more true to life then it's contemporaries though, I will give it that.

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I feel like all of Reika's mods do especially well in is keeping things 'minecrafty' while still being high tech realism. It's actually really impressive, as I can't recall any other mod that does this like rotarycraft. Keep up the great work reika!

Reactions: Padfoote

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I feel like all of Reika's mods do especially well in is keeping things 'minecrafty' while still being high tech realism. It's actually really impressive, as I can't recall any other mod that does this like rotarycraft. Keep up the great work reika!
Except for dye trees (a few dyes could be derived from a tree source though, I don't know) and Geostrata buff crystals (unless Reika thinks crystal healing is a real thing...).

FYI they are 2 of Reika's mods too. He's actually got quite a list of mods and only a few of them are beholden to the assumed tenant of realism. I mean I've never seen an ender forest with my own eyes. (well to be fair I haven't seen and a regular one either...)

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the more "magic-y of Reika's mods are being moved to a singular magic mod. If you are referring to meteorcraft, I belive that it uses a realistic-ish spawning system.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the more "magic-y of Reika's mods are being moved to a singular magic mod. If you are referring to meteorcraft, I belive that it uses a realistic-ish spawning system.
It's not a criticism, more stating a fact that while Reika focuses on realism he's not as beholden to realism as people seem to think.
I mean look freeze rays, you can't project cold as cold is a lack of heat energy. You might be able to get away with a focused "Directional Heat Vacuum" but you can't project cold in a ray of energy because cold is a lack of energy, it's a very sci-fi idea that's more fi then sci.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
It's not a criticism, more stating a fact that while Reika focuses on realism he's not as beholden to realism as people seem to think.
I mean look freeze rays, you can't project cold as cold is a lack of heat energy. You might be able to get away with a focused "Directional Heat Vacuum" but you can't project cold in a ray of energy because cold is a lack of energy, it's a very sci-fi idea that's more fi then sci.
But you can make air cold and blow it.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
There should be a geothermal type multiblock power source. Something like the solar tower but with blocks and items that you can get shaft power from geothermal heat and stuff. *might add more later after a shower*

nothing else really but i really like the suggestion to have upgrades for the borer!

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
There should be a geothermal type multiblock power source. Something like the solar tower but with blocks and items that you can get shaft power from geothermal heat and stuff. *might add more later after a shower*

nothing else really but i really like the suggestion to have upgrades for the borer!
Woohoo!
All hail @psp the rerailer of threads

Good suggestion btw

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
it wouldn't be a proper suggestion thread if no-one said this.

Update to newet MC ver plz i needs it! Y U NO UPDATE!

(completely jk)

Reactions: Dezz

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Both of these could easily be implemented in the real world, though probably not as effectively or safely.

Alright, but to go back to the original intent of my post, sticking up for this guy for making a suggestion because it was cited as not being "realistic"
Also: what are your thoughts on a reconditioner-type machine, something that could (slowly at first, but faster toward the endgame?) restore an item's damage value?
And this is kind of crazy, but I'll just toss it out here anyway: how about a refabricator machine that would duplicate items based on their something (rarity? expensiveness? complexity?) value? Probably OP, but it is a suggestion, so...
for the first, nanomachines...they're as theoretically possible as sonic borers and the like, since neither sonic borer nor nanorepairbot have been built.

for the second, 3d printers. these days, it's theoretically possible to print anything, as long as you have the correct print head.

I'm not saying either of these ideas are good, just was pointing out to @trajing that these ideas are as real as anything else you've got. so relax, I wasn't being negative towards you or your mod.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Nanomachines wouldn't work on, say, a diamond pick because then it isn't diamond.. It's diamond and nanomachine. And 3D printers, same thing. You would need to fabricate the carbon and the structure of a diamond for a diamond. Still possible, but very very difficult. Still, no more SciFi than light bridges. :p

Reactions: midi_sec

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Nanomachines wouldn't work on, say, a diamond pick because then it isn't diamond.. It's diamond and nanomachine. And 3D printers, same thing. You would need to fabricate the carbon and the structure of a diamond for a diamond. Still possible, but very very difficult. Still, no more SciFi than light bridges. :p
nanomachines are the size of atoms, theoretically. if supplied with carbon, they could (theoretically) rebuild a diamond-like structure. theoretically. lol

i mean it's all grey area.

Reactions: YX33A

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, but to go back to the original intent of my post, sticking up for this guy for making a suggestion because it was cited as not being "realistic"

for the first, nanomachines...they're as theoretically possible as sonic borers and the like, since neither sonic borer nor nanorepairbot have been built.

for the second, 3d printers. these days, it's theoretically possible to print anything, as long as you have the correct print head.

I'm not saying either of these ideas are good, just was pointing out to @trajing that these ideas are as real as anything else you've got. so relax, I wasn't being negative towards you or your mod.
Thanks for that. I realize that nothing of the sort has actually been invented yet, of course.
But have you ever seen a real freeze gun, or an actual force field system? No, because they haven't been invented yet.
Theoretically, it's possible for such machines to exist, with the requisite technology and whatnot.
A fusion reactor is apparently in the works I see, but it hasn't been actually built yet. Can we call Reika's Tokamak reactor unrealistic then, since nothing of the sort exists?

My take on the word "realism" is not "real-world counterpart" but "Spock-verified, mathematical and logical performance and requirements". If this isn't what you're going for here Reika, please feel free to correct me, but: things in MC "realism" shouldn't have to exist to be realistic. What matters is a sensible fuel requirement, functional operating techniques, and meaningful application in which the rewards do not outweigh the investments (except, of course, in the extreme endgame).

It is theoretically possible to teleport atoms (by far, not my only source, but it seems cool: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...at-teleportation-possible-transfer-atoms.html), smash them, and possibly manufacture them (hey buddy, e=mc^2). Why can't we?

/wallOfText
TL;DR: I am going for realism. Realism in function and design, at least in using reality to talk about machines that can do uber stuff. Sci-fi, anybody? JK. "Realism".