Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Maybe you have to turn the shaft power into lasers. Then you have to send up a satellite and then you can beam the power up and down. Lots of infrastructure.
For power transportation, I totally buy into this :)

No good for item transportation but who cares. This falls under the "more or less plausible" category.

I'll just sweep my wormhole theory under the rug here where Reika can't see it...

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Look if Reika can manage a Fusion reactor in Minecraft, I have no doubt he's capable of a quasi-plausible structure for the stable creation of an Einstein-Rosen bridge.

Reactions: YX33A

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Look if Reika can manage a Fusion reactor in Minecraft, I have no doubt he's capable of a quasi-plausible structure for the stable creation of an Einstein-Rosen bridge.
Well, I'm currently working on the phlegmatic theorem of intercontinental dismemberment, for your information. =P

Anywhoo: is there a particle emitter machine, such as an LED display unit, a fiber-optic tree, or anything decorative and customizable that has shiny things? (Not the fireworks machine.)
If there isn't... well, you get the gist.

Pterodactlol

Jul 29, 2019
-Syngas

Syngas is a mixture of hydrogen, carbon monoxide, and carbon dioxide. It can be used to make ammonia, synthetic oil, and fuel. Syngas is made by reacting fossil fuels or plant matter with high-temperature steam in the presence of a catalyst. This would allow you to be flexible with your raw material sources. For example, if you didn't feel like switching your farms to make canola for more lubricant, you could gassify some coal into syngas and convert that to synthetic lubricant with the Fischer-Tropsch process. Similarly, if you want a renewable source of ammonia, you could gassify some wood, separate out the hydrogen, and react that with nitrogen in the Haber-Bosch process.

-Hydraulics

I would like to see the fluid transportation aspect to be more fleshed out. Pipes could be used to distribute hydraulic work, with pressure and flow rate being the parameters (akin to torque and angular velocity), governed by a simplified version of the Bernoulli equation. Pressure could drop over distance, depending on the roughness of the pipe wall. The maximum flow rate would be determined by the pipe diameter and the maximum pressure would be determined by the pipe material composition and thickness.

This would enable an easier division of power between machines without needing shaft busses or complex shaft splitting, but at the cost of lower efficiency due to pressure drops. Additionally, this could allow for more modular fluid transport. For example, if one needed only a small quantity of water at low pressure, a small pump and thin-walled pipes of small diameter might suffice. However, if one needed a large amount of water (say for a fusion reactor), a much larger pump (perhaps an upgradable multiblock) and thick-walled large-diameter pipes could be used.

Similarly, steam could be used as an energy transportation method with the same parameters as above, if we assume saturated steam (otherwise with superheated steam, temperature would be an additional parameter). In many industrial plants, a natural gas fired boiler is used to supply steam to the entire facility to drive components and supply process heat. The same could be applied to Rotarycraft, with a complex steam network supplying a workshop of variously sized of steam-driven turbines. These turbine would be much smaller than the massive ones in Reactorcraft.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Oh, finally, I have an actually-ok-idea

In keeping with RoC's ability to run shafts through portals, I'd love if RoC or ReC allowed us to actually create portals of some kind. It would subvert the rather strong dependance this mod has on TE Tesseracts.

If I'm sending power to my boring machine operations, I would *much* rather see my pipes go through a Reika-mod sparkly singularity thing of some sort than a cross-mod tesseract. Ditto for sending power to the Nether and whatnot.
My FAQ addresses this (note that portals are in essence wormholes):
"[ROTARYCRAFT] You should add things like wormholes, manmade black holes, teleportation, time travel, and so on with large amounts of power, as it is theoretically possible."
I agree that things like time travel, wormholes, teleportation, invisibility, and so on are actually technically possible. However, they all either require extremely advanced tech - invisibility requires nanotech, for example - or ludicrous power requirements. Someone else said it best:
"I believe the standard for the things your talking about is realism -> the amount of power required is consistent with theory, and theory says it's possible. Reika already indicated that a problem with something like a wormhole is that the theoretical power required is closer to the entire lifetime output of a star than to the power output of one fusion reactor. For all that this thing generates so much power it's difficult to comprehend how much it is, the power needed for those big hard-SF things is still on a completely different scale."

* the central reactor control block seems to lose power when you load a world, causing all control rods to drop. I'm powering mine via ElectriCraft; I'm guessing the control block is loading before the power source. (Apparently I can't read thread titles; this is a ReactorCraft suggestion)
* ...nothing else really.
An issue very similar to this was fixed long ago. What version is this?

Syngas is a mixture of hydrogen, carbon monoxide, and carbon dioxide. It can be used to make ammonia, synthetic oil, and fuel. Syngas is made by reacting fossil fuels or plant matter with high-temperature steam in the presence of a catalyst. This would allow you to be flexible with your raw material sources. For example, if you didn't feel like switching your farms to make canola for more lubricant, you could gassify some coal into syngas and convert that to synthetic lubricant with the Fischer-Tropsch process. Similarly, if you want a renewable source of ammonia, you could gassify some wood, separate out the hydrogen, and react that with nitrogen in the Haber-Bosch process.
How many raw ingredients and processes are involved here? This reminds me of some of my research for obtaining materials for ReactorCraft; they would require so many new items and chemicals that they would fit better in "ChemiCraft" or something.

-Hydraulics
I would like to see the fluid transportation aspect to be more fleshed out. Pipes could be used to distribute hydraulic work, with pressure and flow rate being the parameters (akin to torque and angular velocity), governed by a simplified version of the Bernoulli equation. Pressure could drop over distance, depending on the roughness of the pipe wall. The maximum flow rate would be determined by the pipe diameter and the maximum pressure would be determined by the pipe material composition and thickness.

This would enable an easier division of power between machines without needing shaft busses or complex shaft splitting, but at the cost of lower efficiency due to pressure drops.
I actually put something exactly like this in for a couple of versions (around v14), but removed it for several reasons:
  • It is ill-fitting with RotaryCraft as a whole, as it is neither rotational nor integrated into the rest of the mod
  • The networking code was extremely complex and prone to errors
  • The power outputs of most engines could not be handled by any but the largest pipes and pumps
  • The fluid system was difficult to design in a way that was simultaneously easy to use, inexpensive, and realistic
Additionally, this could allow for more modular fluid transport. For example, if one needed only a small quantity of water at low pressure, a small pump and thin-walled pipes of small diameter might suffice. However, if one needed a large amount of water (say for a fusion reactor), a much larger pump (perhaps an upgradable multiblock) and thick-walled large-diameter pipes could be used.
I have been toying with pipe pressure limits for some time, actually.

Similarly, steam could be used as an energy transportation method with the same parameters as above, if we assume saturated steam (otherwise with superheated steam, temperature would be an additional parameter). In many industrial plants, a natural gas fired boiler is used to supply steam to the entire facility to drive components and supply process heat. The same could be applied to Rotarycraft, with a complex steam network supplying a workshop of variously sized of steam-driven turbines. These turbine would be much smaller than the massive ones in Reactorcraft.
These suffer from the same issues as the hydraulic system.

Also, with the advent of ElectriCraft, which fulfills the exact same role, hydraulics are somewhat redundant.

Last edited:

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
errr hydrogen - oxigen fuel cell? for reactorcraft
of course done in a realistic way, with C+ H2O----> H2 + CO2 ( intermediate steps also produce carbon monoxide)
you could also add some form of pollution similar to radiation
Also, normally the H2 fuel needs to be refined, as it contains CO2 and CO which risk to corrupt the platinum catalyst in the low temperature cells
I feel that properly implemented, it would be quite balanced

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Hydraulic pressure is achieved through pumps, which spin. That said, it'd probably be better to have it as it's own separate mod.

Arkandos

Jul 29, 2019
How many raw ingredients and processes are involved here? This reminds me of some of my research for obtaining materials for ReactorCraft; they would require so many new items and chemicals that they would fit better in "ChemiCraft" or something.

Do I smell a new mod?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Do I smell a new mod?
I would freaking love a ChemiCraft personally.

One of the things I miss about a good GT game is all the little "chemicals", where you can break down most resources via centrifuges or electrolyzers and whatnot. I think Reika could put a better spin on this.

* Unreleated Suggestion (ReactorCraft): A machine that can suction out a network of steam lines, emptying it of any traces of leftover steam so that I can switch between Water or Ammonia at need.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
To be fair, if you explicitly support wormholes with your mods, you're fair game for wormhole-related suggestions.
I support their use - which is of course straightforward once you have a stable one - but their creation is something else entirely.

you could also add some form of pollution similar to radiation
Radiation already exists.

errr hydrogen - oxigen fuel cell? for reactorcraft
of course done in a realistic way, with C+ H2O----> H2 + CO2 ( intermediate steps also produce carbon monoxide)
Also, normally the H2 fuel needs to be refined, as it contains CO2 and CO which risk to corrupt the platinum catalyst in the low temperature cells
I feel that properly implemented, it would be quite balanced
Fuel cells generate electricity, not shaft power.

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
I support their use - which is of course straightforward once you have a stable one - but their creation is something else entirely.

Radiation already exists.

Fuel cells generate electricity, not shaft power.
So then elctricraft? Then again, fuel cells are not really realistic in terms of power gain but would work well for engines/generators etc for power storage.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019

You just need some special crystals that are not found on this planet. How hard can it be to collect that? :).

Ohh, wait -- can you can run the shaft vertically through an end portal, or twilight forest portal? Now that I think about it, you did show it running vertically through some portal, but I'm not sure if it was a horizontal crystal portal or one of the others.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
This is an odd idea but I was thinking if you have heaters and put an Iron Block ontop of it you can heat it (heating it too much will make it melt) but what you can do is if you have water above it, water near it would at a certain temperature fizzle (not bubble) and make that pool of water you made into a "Hot Springs" of sorts that will cause Health Regen and Saturation (Not actual Hunger Shanks). If you heat it too hot the water will do constant damage and give Slowness.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
You just need some special crystals that are not found on this planet. How hard can it be to collect that? :).
This is not something for RotaryCraft.

Ohh, wait -- can you can run the shaft vertically through an end portal, or twilight forest portal? Now that I think about it, you did show it running vertically through some portal, but I'm not sure if it was a horizontal crystal portal or one of the others.
That was a TF portal.

This is an odd idea but I was thinking if you have heaters and put an Iron Block ontop of it you can heat it (heating it too much will make it melt) but what you can do is if you have water above it, water near it would at a certain temperature fizzle (not bubble) and make that pool of water you made into a "Hot Springs" of sorts that will cause Health Regen and Saturation (Not actual Hunger Shanks). If you heat it too hot the water will do constant damage and give Slowness.
Except real hot springs do nothing helpful.

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a thought for something I've always wanted to see but nobody's ever done - a linear assembly line. Currently players really only have 2 choices for multi-stage crafting: AE crafting or setting up a messy pipe (or golem) network to a bunch of different autocrafting machines. Why not create a modular conveyor-based assembly line? Modular in terms that, for a given conveyor block different RoC/ReC machines (I say plural for cases such as friction heater+furnace) could be inserted to that piece to process whatever items/fluids are sent in and then push the result down the line. Power would of course be necessary, either for individual conveyor segments or a whole-system power connection. The conveyor blocks could require a shaft power bus and engine control unit as part of the recipe (so they can be configured to process and input/output items at appropriate speeds - not configuring this could result in items being pushed out too slow/fast resulting in jams and of course, everybody's favorite, explosions!), and perhaps some sort of Automation Control Unit for the overall system.
There would still be some piping necessary for fluids and extra items added from other lines (maybe make junctions), and thermal control, but I think this could be a much cleaner and more fun solution to the multistage autocrafting problem.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Here's a thought for something I've always wanted to see but nobody's ever done - a linear assembly line. Currently players really only have 2 choices for multi-stage crafting: AE crafting or setting up a messy pipe (or golem) network to a bunch of different autocrafting machines. Why not create a modular conveyor-based assembly line? Modular in terms that, for a given conveyor block different RoC/ReC machines (I say plural for cases such as friction heater+furnace) could be inserted to that piece to process whatever items/fluids are sent in and then push the result down the line. Power would of course be necessary, either for individual conveyor segments or a whole-system power connection. The conveyor blocks could require a shaft power bus and engine control unit as part of the recipe (so they can be configured to process and input/output items at appropriate speeds - not configuring this could result in items being pushed out too slow/fast resulting in jams and of course, everybody's favorite, explosions!), and perhaps some sort of Automation Control Unit for the overall system.
There would still be some piping necessary for fluids and extra items added from other lines (maybe make junctions), and thermal control, but I think this could be a much cleaner and more fun solution to the multistage autocrafting problem.
Please elaborate; I do not fully understand.