Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

ProjectEForNever

Jul 29, 2019
I really like your mods (other than the complex, way endgame, fluorite-spamming Reactorcraft), but I have a few big suggestions:
1. Gate the Inductive Alloy smelting process below the Pulse Jet Furnace, or at least move the Microturbine itself. (I don't like lubricating gearboxes OR making at least a 128:1 gearing setup with diamonds, worse without a blast furnace above 900ºC to make aluminium* alloy for performance engines, granted the "use aluminium dust from OD for silicon" option is enabled, impossible at this stage elsewhen because extractor.)
2. Upgrade the NEI plugin - list Pulse Jet Furnace temperatures.
3. Some branchability, more about alternatives than skips. (Sorry, many people want that, I'm okay with your mod, it's just that I would like a bit of extra freedom).
4. Ender IO compat? Like Ender IO resources to replace copper and maybe silver in the magnetostatic engine?
5. List some more formulas - like the Friction Heater temperature equation (there's the wiki, which accurately states it's 12*log2(torque*speed)+30, but Internet access is not a constant and formulas tend to get forgotten) and whatever the material-specific lubricant consumption of gearboxes is.
6. Sorry for the off-topic, but take a look at Expanded Redstone. Make Item Effector usable as empty hand (ExU glove?), as well as left click and shift-click (like an Autonomous Activator from TE, except no power). Make it work with HarvestCraft if possible. Make Block Breakers upgradeable with Silk Touch and tinker with the harvest levels. Iron should match the Tinkers' Construct Redstone tier, Diamond should be either anything or Obsidian tier. Nerf Expanded Redstone when RC is available. Most importantly, make the clock silent and let it remember its settings when broken, because AC Electric Engine.

*I'm very Polish, therefore very European, therefore IUPAC spelling of aluminium. But all else is in mostly American English - no worries, GregTech uses the IUPAC spelling and GregoriusT could be American.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I really like your mods (other than the complex, way endgame, fluorite-spamming Reactorcraft), but I have a few big suggestions:
1. Gate the Inductive Alloy smelting process below the Pulse Jet Furnace, or at least move the Microturbine itself. (I don't like lubricating gearboxes OR making at least a 128:1 gearing setup with diamonds, worse without a blast furnace above 900ºC to make aluminium* alloy for performance engines, granted the "use aluminium dust from OD for silicon" option is enabled, impossible at this stage elsewhen because extractor.)
2. Upgrade the NEI plugin - list Pulse Jet Furnace temperatures.
3. Some branchability, more about alternatives than skips. (Sorry, many people want that, I'm okay with your mod, it's just that I would like a bit of extra freedom).
4. Ender IO compat? Like Ender IO resources to replace copper and maybe silver in the magnetostatic engine?
5. List some more formulas - like the Friction Heater temperature equation (there's the wiki, which accurately states it's 12*log2(torque*speed)+30, but Internet access is not a constant and formulas tend to get forgotten) and whatever the material-specific lubricant consumption of gearboxes is.
6. Sorry for the off-topic, but take a look at Expanded Redstone. Make Item Effector usable as empty hand (ExU glove?), as well as left click and shift-click (like an Autonomous Activator from TE, except no power). Make it work with HarvestCraft if possible. Make Block Breakers upgradeable with Silk Touch and tinker with the harvest levels. Iron should match the Tinkers' Construct Redstone tier, Diamond should be either anything or Obsidian tier. Nerf Expanded Redstone when RC is available. Most importantly, make the clock silent and let it remember its settings when broken, because AC Electric Engine.

*I'm very Polish, therefore very European, therefore IUPAC spelling of aluminium. But all else is in mostly American English - no worries, GregTech uses the IUPAC spelling and GregoriusT could be American.
Not speaking for Reika, just from my own experience:

1. I believe the purpose of this is that the pulse jet is a gating piece of tech, much like the blast furnace's various temperature gates. Once you have enough jet fuel to run it for a bit (I highly recommend using ethanol engines and ECUs to automate the pulse jet so you don't waste fuel), you've reached a gating part of the mod where new stuff opens up. If you're clever, I believe it is possible to power an extractor (for aluminium powder) with a single gasoline engine, some clutch/gearing work, and patience.
  2. Probably useful, I agree.
  3. Can't really comment since I don't know what one would do for this.
  4. You can MineTweak the recipes for the magnetostatic engine since its non-gating; all you have to do is log the change if you plan to release the pack on a more than private, "give only to my buddies" basis.
  5. Could also be useful, and would help lower the amount of task switching which Minecraft doesn't seem to like.
  6. No comment, never used Expanded Redstone.
Also, I think Greg is German, or at least from a German-speaking country. He tends to ram his words together, a hallmark of German, lol. I tend to use "aluminium," as well, but that mostly comes from watching way too much Top Gear. :p

ProjectEForNever

Jul 29, 2019
Says the man who implemented a jet-engine-powered jetpack :p
Yup. No hate for Reika ;) , but his realism has its tiny downfalls, like torque increasing friction heating power. It would be okay to make a more efficient, faster or even weaponizable jetpack with a gas turbine, but nope, ultra-quick boost. Ouch. And he objects to making catapults. (no offense)
Own suggestions for transport: boats! An uncrashable one (HSLA steel? Ships have no problem rolling with rusting metals), an upgrade to that in the form of an ethanol boat and a sizable one with storage (or linking options), still ethanol-powered. Additionally planes, costlier and less convenient than jetpacks, but more efficient, faster and more maneuverable.

I highly recommend using ethanol engines and ECUs to automate the pulse jet so you don't waste fuel [...]. If you're clever, I believe it is possible to power an extractor (for aluminium powder) with a single gasoline engine, some clutch/gearing work, and patience. [...] 6. No comment, never used Expanded Redstone.
  1. What is an ECU? And what do you mean by not wasting fuel?
  2. Nope, not at this tier, unless there's some power distribution machine I've missed. The only way I know to power an extractor with a sub-microturbine engine is via CVT (2 bedrock alloy shafts).
  3. Hey, Expanded Redstone is pretty cool. There's a hidden block called the Shock Panel which deals damage on each redstone pulse received, dependent on used lens. But wait, a Nether Star lens gives a range of 5 and... wait for it... INSTA-KILL ON WITHER! But no player kill drops (division sigils and maybe yellow hearts), just the star. And the Block Placer (what are you expecting?) and Item Effector (modern-day Deployer, mimics right-click of inserted items with just redstone pulses, no power) allow the creation of a Wither farm with only Expanded Redstone installed.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Yup. No hate for Reika ;) , but his realism has its tiny downfalls, like torque increasing friction heating power. It would be okay to make a more efficient, faster or even weaponizable jetpack with a gas turbine, but nope, ultra-quick boost. Ouch. And he objects to making catapults. (no offense)
Own suggestions for transport: boats! An uncrashable one (HSLA steel? Ships have no problem rolling with rusting metals), an upgrade to that in the form of an ethanol boat and a sizable one with storage (or linking options), still ethanol-powered. Additionally planes, costlier and less convenient than jetpacks, but more efficient, faster and more maneuverable.

I can see you are a bit frustrated, but you gotta remember at the end of the day that his word is law. He obviously can do or not do whatever he wants with his stuff. Personally, I do not buy into the reasons he object to certain things (this specific case of rejecting catapults), but I respect the decision. Don't be the one to fall into the mindset that he owes you something. You have to accept that what you suggest is exactly that, a suggestion, that can be accepted or rejected at the will of Reika.

Oh and sorry if this is was not how you intended to get your message across. I read your reply and it felt like you had some anger/frustration behind it.

1. What is an ECU? And what do you mean by not wasting fuel?
  2. Nope, not at this tier, unless there's some power distribution machine I've missed. The only way I know to power an extractor with a sub-microturbine engine is via CVT (2 bedrock alloy shafts).
  3. Hey, Expanded Redstone is pretty cool. There's a hidden block called the Shock Panel which deals damage on each redstone pulse received, dependent on used lens. But wait, a Nether Star lens gives a range of 5 and... wait for it... INSTA-KILL ON WITHER! But no player kill drops (division sigils and maybe yellow hearts), just the star. And the Block Placer (what are you expecting?) and Item Effector (modern-day Deployer, mimics right-click of inserted items with just redstone pulses, no power) allow the creation of a Wither farm with only Expanded Redstone installed.

1. Engine Control Unit. It can control the speed of the engine above it, and lowering speed lowers both power output and engine consumption. A gasoline engine running at 25% uses less fuel per second than one running at 100%. I think there is a slight efficiency for running at lower speed, as in more power per fuel consumption.

2. You can power an Extractor with just a gasoline engine. Doing it this way is pretty janky and I personally say it is not worth it, but it can be done. You just need 65,536W of power. You can even run the extractor with 4 steam engines if you are insane enough.

3. I'm a big fan of Expanded Redstone, mainly for the block breakers. My go-to easy machine for a sugar cane farm for ethanol. Also it is useful for farming ivy from ChromatiCraft, among a ton of other things.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
An idea with regards to player transport, maybe something that have chains connected to gears.

Torque increases the range it can service, while speed will determine how fast the chain can transport the user?

A hook/harness is required to be in hand, you right click the chains with the item and you get stuck to it, you can then switch to a weapon or something else while the chains moved you. Then press shift to dismount?

Edit: Only travels in one direction.

ProjectEForNever

Jul 29, 2019
To Plasmasnake, aside glances to Reika:
I fully understand that all of what anyone but Reika says is just suggestions. Maybe it didn't look like it, but it wasn't a "you should" message to Reika, it was loose suggestions and pointing things out, although mods with new boats are very welcome, if only because there are few. The ship idea is probably out of place in such a mod and I have no problem with that.
All I'll really add will be probably a promised-in-conversation translation to Polish.
By the end of the day, it's all in a "JUST SAYING" tone, not a "please" tone. I respect Reika above all else in Rotarycraft regards - out all the people I know personally who play Minecraft, none have the time to read and learn on to actually appreciate Rotarycraft. Only I have found the time to see what's great in it.
If I sounded like I was saying Reika "should do something" rather than "could do something, could not do, just stating what it could be if he ever considered that to be a good idea", or if the turbine jetpack bit sounded like a complaint rather than a joke... I'm sincerely sorry. I'll go back to getting diamonds for a 128:1 gearbox chain for a pulse jet. Microturbines are more important than suggestions on a forum.

2. You can power an Extractor with just a gasoline engine. Doing it this way is pretty janky and I personally say it is not worth it, but it can be done. You just need 65,536W of power. You can even run the extractor with 4 steam engines if you are insane enough.
That and a gearbox to run just 1 stage (2 stages require little extra gearing). To run every stage, a CVT or multi-directional clutch is needed.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, a multidirectional clutch and a shaft junction should do it. Note that I have NOT tested this, so all this is just an educated guess.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
To Plasmasnake, aside glances to Reika:
I fully understand that all of what anyone but Reika says is just suggestions. Maybe it didn't look like it, but it wasn't a "you should" message to Reika, it was loose suggestions and pointing things out, although mods with new boats are very welcome, if only because there are few. The ship idea is probably out of place in such a mod and I have no problem with that.
All I'll really add will be probably a promised-in-conversation translation to Polish.
By the end of the day, it's all in a "JUST SAYING" tone, not a "please" tone. I respect Reika above all else in Rotarycraft regards - out all the people I know personally who play Minecraft, none have the time to read and learn on to actually appreciate Rotarycraft. Only I have found the time to see what's great in it.
If I sounded like I was saying Reika "should do something" rather than "could do something, could not do, just stating what it could be if he ever considered that to be a good idea", or if the turbine jetpack bit sounded like a complaint rather than a joke... I'm sincerely sorry. I'll go back to getting diamonds for a 128:1 gearbox chain for a pulse jet. Microturbines are more important than suggestions on a forum.

No worries man, it's hard to read intentions through text. Misunderstandings are common.

123nick

Jul 29, 2019
I get the feeling you do not understand what G-forces are.

i play ksp so i know, but i think i poorly worded that message, and now that i look back on it i sorta get it, when u are accelerated because it is a catapult it accelerates u fast and it would probably inflict alot of gforces. but then again, what if you had another method too teleport? like, maybe a helicopter landing pad? i mean, you wouldnt have too animate a helicopter actually flying, just have it fly up into the sky, then fly down from the sky onto the second landing pad, and it could just be a intricate model, thats multi-block size.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, your best bet, thematically, would probably be applying base panels to a chain drive, somehow, then standing on them while the drive operates. Though, that'd only be good for horizontal and downward transport.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
i play ksp so i know, but i think i poorly worded that message, and now that i look back on it i sorta get it, when u are accelerated because it is a catapult it accelerates u fast and it would probably inflict alot of gforces. but then again, what if you had another method too teleport? like, maybe a helicopter landing pad? i mean, you wouldnt have too animate a helicopter actually flying, just have it fly up into the sky, then fly down from the sky onto the second landing pad, and it could just be a intricate model, thats multi-block size.

You mean similar to the catapult on an aircraft carrier correct?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Do g-forces even exist in Minecraft? Gravity does but it's nothing even close to normal gravity really beyond having the concept of down and longer falls hurt, but a catapult wouldn't even need fall damage reduction, leave that up to the player to solve, whether it's aiming at a lake or wearing a jetpack to catch themselves or only small shots and feather falling. That could be interesting even with g-forces, range based off mostly off how much feather falling you have as being launched causes fall damage?

And speed is totally valid for catapult esque transport, it's all about moving very quickly than stopping very suddenly. Slipping it to be connected for a fraction of a second would do that, you could go more like an actual catapult and not just a launcher thing in which case it's basically just like the springs.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Not really rotational speed from the engine wouldn't be that pivotal. Torque would play a bigger part from the engine. Depending on the material storeing the energy the speed of the release will be a given when the energy releases. Being able to pull the spring and store the energy will take torque. In fact Id suggest a failure rate if the catapult was drawn too fast.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
That would kill you from the G-forces and air resistance, and catapults are not powered by speed.

Says the man who implemented a jet-engine-powered jetpack :p

Gee, I'm currently editing (back again) my first experience with a boost assist, wing, jet-fuel upgraded, jetpack -- the one with everything added to it. Back from the February dev server. Lets just say I wound up taking it off when I didn't need it. :)

I get the feeling you do not understand what G-forces are.

Maybe, but consider that air force pilots and astronauts have special suits to counter / reduce much of that.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Gee, I'm currently editing (back again) my first experience with a boost assist, wing, jet-fuel upgraded, jetpack -- the one with everything added to it. Back from the February dev server. Lets just say I wound up taking it off when I didn't need it. :)

Maybe, but consider that air force pilots and astronauts have special suits to counter / reduce much of that.
So, here's a thing: the suits do not reduce g-forces in any way. What the DO do, in the case of pilots, is act to reduce the flow of blood to the legs caused by the g-forces, thus helping to prevent pilots blacking out because of reduced flow to the head; they do this by squeezing the legs when the pilot is undergoing strong g-forces.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
hey, is there any reason for no fission-fusion reactors? or RTGS? i dont recall there being a RTG but i may be wrong.
The biggest problem with such an engine is that the power output would be on order of a DC electric engine; RTGs are great when you only need a few hundred watts of electricity for a couple decades or so, maintenance would be prohibitively expensive or impossible and initial cost is not a factor (e.g. powering a space probe or satellite), not so great when you have pretty much any other alternative.

ProjectEForNever

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest problem with such an engine is that the power output would be on order of a DC electric engine; RTGs are great when you only need a few hundred watts of electricity for a couple decades or so, maintenance would be prohibitively expensive or impossible and initial cost is not a factor (e.g. powering a space probe or satellite), not so great when you have pretty much any other alternative.
Yes. An RTG could be useful for stealth applications (although Stirling engines exist in real life and they're used in torpedoes) or space stuff (not necessarily a shoehorn in RoC when there are light bridges, magical handheld dynamometers++ a.k.a. Angular Transducers and practical force fields). That's about it. Don't let IC² Experimental fool you, all not-so-knowing forum members.

ProjectEForNever

Jul 29, 2019
One more suggestion: differentials.
What?
You've seen them in cars. You've seen them in a LEGO Technic set (by the way, LEGO Technic is what made me interested in mechanics and rotational physics, therefore indirectly got me hooked on RotaryCraft). Now that I've called the name, let's talk about what they would do. Basically, a differential would be a variable-input shaft junction. "OP! OP!" is what the rest of the fandom might shout. But no. If you include them, make them require lubricant, make them obey shaft limits (therefore steel, diamond, bedrock; yes, stone differentials would be definitely OP and what the hell is a wooden differential?). Make them eat lubricant faster than standard gearboxes. Make the diamond differential consume lubricant, have the bedrock differential at least require a bucket of that stuff. Give them some nice limits - 2 merged inputs for a steel differential, 4 to 8 for a diamond differential, maybe still a limit when bedrock differentials are made. And the existence alone of differentials might open up a window to a new possibility - transport. Cars. All of that.
Make of this post what you will. I've been imagining this for a while and microturbine merging troubles made me post the idea.