Blulectric Engine

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
I want to use a blulectric engine to power the lasers for an assembly table. I read that the engine can't interact with a laser so I must use something to link them. Now the problem is that I find conflicting information about whether or not it would work with a redstone energy conduits. The wiki says yes but the forum says no. Does it work? Is there a better solution?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
How about some energy storage for buffer?

(blulectric engine)(redstone energy cell)===conduits===(lasers)

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Test it on a single player creative world to see if it works, then come back and tell us if the rumors are true or not.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
The wiki says the redstone energy cell doesn't work with the engine so I can't do that one.

Byte Templar

Jul 29, 2019
I had a quarry running with redstone energy cell, that had a blulectric engine directly connected with 2 kinetic generators. It charged the cell fine, no problems here (DW20 pack).

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Guess I'll do the testing for you. To confirm...

A blulectric engine connected to a redstone energy cell works perfectly fine.
A blulectric engine connected to a redstone energy conduit works perfectly fine, as well. It does not appear to connect to the engine, but energy is moving over to a cell I have connected.
A blulectric engine connected directly to a laser does not work.

Reactions: Semky

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Um, the blutric engine can read the power needs of the quarry. For some reason it can't read the needs of the lasers. I found that a lot of engines have this same problem when connected directly to the lasers. Forestry electrical engines have this problem for example.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
I tried putting a blulectric engine directly beside a thermal expansion machine and even if the machine is fully charged and not working, the engine is still running. Is that normal? The wiki says the engine is supposed to stop when not used. Is it only visual or is it really wasting energy?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The blulectric engine doesn't play nice with TE stuff, and that includes the redstone energy cell. Try using pipes and keeping an always-on machine on the network with low power requirements (Forestry and Railcraft have a few, and multi-block farms could work).

You can get them to throttle down, and your goal should be to get them running at low throttle into a redstone energy cell that feeds the rest of your system. But they're buggy and obviously incomplete right now; they don't re-read the network correctly and this sometimes causes them to suck down power even if they aren't connected to any pipes or conduits!

It's a bummer no alternatives to RP2 exist. Its neglect is starting to become obvious.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Well ok that comes back to my first problem which is the bad management of energy in BC. I'll cancel all that and stick to IC2 as I thought would happen. Thanks guys.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
It shouldn't be all that hard to put a cobble pipe next to a redstone energy cell to check if the cell is not full of energy, and output redstone signal, which you then use to turn on the blulectric engine. That way, when the cell is full, the redstone turns off and the engine stops. I didn't know there were engines that were "smart" enough to know to not run when their energy is going elsewhere, but I'd say it is fairly logical that you need to turn the engines off when they are no longer needed.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
The guy above you says the energy cell is bugged and that requires an absurd setup to bypass. I don't want to put patches over patches over patches in my base because a mod isn't working correctly. IC2 machines don't suck energy when not used and that's how it should work and I will not use a system that requires building even more things to bypass bugs.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Um, the blutric engine can read the power needs of the quarry. For some reason it can't read the needs of the lasers. I found that a lot of engines have this same problem when connected directly to the lasers. Forestry electrical engines have this problem for example.
Forestry electric engines work fine on BC lasers. We have several running.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
I tried an electric engine on TE machines are the engine was still working and wasting power even when the machines were not working, does the same problem occur with lasers?

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
This works fine:

Blulectric power --> Blulectric Engine --> Wood conductive pipe with red pipe wire and iron gate or better --> Gold conductive pipe with red pipe wire and iron gate or better --> Redstone Energy Cell

Gate on gold pipe set to: Can store energy, emit red pipe signal
Gate on wood pipe set to: Receive red pipe signal, emit redstone signal

Connect the wood pipe to the blulectric engine with a couple pieces of red alloy wire.

2013-02-08_14.02.31.png

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Why the red alloy wire? For other engines the gate can switch the engine directly. Has Eloraam changed that behaviour for her engine?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The guy above you says the energy cell is bugged and that requires an absurd setup to bypass. I don't want to put patches over patches over patches in my base because a mod isn't working correctly.

Mixed mod games may, um, not be for you. But the real problem is RedPower2 is in a state of decay right now. Don't use Blutricity except for frame quarries or elevators. Sorry.

IC2 machines don't suck energy when not used and that's how it should work and I will not use a system that requires building even more things to bypass bugs.

Even if you ignore Blulectric engines, Buildcraft power is more fussy than IC2 power. Energy networks that don't blow up are tier 2 in BC, requiring TE expansions (redstone energy cells or redstone conduit). This is intentional because it is the opinion of many people that IC2 power is too good, too easy to manage and too easy to generate. The tradeoff is the TE expansions are strictly better in every way but speed to the IC2 equivalents.

Reactions: Jay Cee

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Why the red alloy wire? For other engines the gate can switch the engine directly. Has Eloraam changed that behaviour for her engine?
She must have, or neglected to include it. The visual gap you can see there also applies to the redstone signal unfortunately. It doesn't cross that space on its own - it has to be connected through something else.[DOUBLEPOST=1360351505][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW: Energy cell is now full, and the engine is off:

2013-02-08_14.28.39.png

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Probably because using redstone there would require a crossunder. Redstone only powers blocks when it leads directly into them with no branches nearby, and it requires a straight shot for 2 blocks towards your target to cause that.

Also note that you can use a state cell and a timer to "pulse" your blulectric engine. It behaves well under these circumstances. Combining that with BC gates will only improve performance to energy usage.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
RedPower in decay? I knew the dev was not very public but didn't know she completely stopped. Too bad, I like the way of generating power in RP a lot more than BC.