Blulectric Engine

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Will the FTB guys remove Redpower from the pack if it isn't updated eventually? With the multiple game breaking bugs with no action from the dev, I don't see how it could stay.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps she's simply keeping distractions to a minimum so she can get shit done. Also, it is possible that she doesn't think that the release she's working on right now hasn't reached a point where anything revealed would be at least similar to what's found in the final release.

Why should I have faith in someone who obviously and automatically holds me at arm's length, and not as an equal? Eloraam's license and code sharing policy is unreasonable, her license is unenforcible and unreasonable, and the spirit in which Mojang allows her to continue (or disregard, as the case may be) her project is not being met in kind.

Given this, the only thing that makes her relevant to our lives is her work on the project. If that ceases, the only thing left is her bad attitude and silence.

Developers do that a lot, so the fans don't go apeshit claiming "YOU CHANGED EVERYTHINGGGGG!!111ELEVENTY"

"Developers." Like we/they are some sort of magic inheritance.

Reactions: GreenWolf13

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Will the FTB guys remove Redpower from the pack if it isn't updated eventually? With the multiple game breaking bugs with no action from the dev, I don't see how it could stay.

Slowpoke mentioned that they have an alternative for the logic blocks to replace Redpower on his stream. He mentioned a specific modpack, but the way I watch streams I don't always pay close attention and missed it.

It probably won't replace the tube network though. Of course, considering the lag it causes....

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Slowpoke mentioned that they have an alternative for the logic blocks to replace Redpower on his stream. He mentioned a specific modpack, but the way I watch streams I don't always pay close attention and missed it.

It probably won't replace the tube network though. Of course, considering the lag it causes....
Lucky for us, railcraft makes a very formidable replacement.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Lucky for us, railcraft makes a very formidable replacement.

Can railcraft do selective dispatch into arbitrary, non-adjacent inventories? I've never seen an ore processing system based around Railcraft. Do you have an example?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
How do you do that Poppycocks?
Try RC out yourself, it's a good mod. The loaders and unloaders have a lot of modes which let you manage inventories nicely. Of course, the footprint would be stupidly large. The cost is prohibitive as well. You need to do silly things like loader-cart-unloader. Routers are a must....

... okay, it's not a replacement :D.

But it did get me trough the wait for rp.

:D

Can railcraft do selective dispatch into arbitrary, non-adjacent inventories? I've never seen an ore processing system based around Railcraft. Do you have an example?
Yeah, unloaders can work as both filters and buffers. They can also keep a specific amount of specific items in an inventory. Mix in some TE machine and I'm sure you'll be able to whip something up.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Try RC out yourself, it's a good mod. The loaders and unloaders have a lot of modes which let you manage inventories nicely. Of course, the footprint would be stupidly large. The cost is prohibitive as well. You need to do silly things like loader-cart-unloader. Routers are a must....

... okay, it's not a replacement :D.

But it did get me trough the wait for rp.

:D

Yeah, unloaders can work as both filters and buffers. They can also keep a specific amount of specific items in an inventory. Mix in some TE machine and I'm sure you'll be able to whip something up.

RC ore processing/sorting does work, albeit over a large footprint as you say, but the issue I had with it is the FPS drop to single figures due to the noise the carts make on the track and when you're standing about 20ish blocks away from the carts. Etho had this exact issue in one of his FTB vids a while back too. The only way to get rid of it is to play with your game volume on mute.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019

PowerCraft? It's got logic gates, computers, and conveyor belts. I don't think it has anything that can compare with frame motors, though :(

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
PowerCraft? It's got logic gates, computers, and conveyor belts. I don't think it has anything that can compare with frame motors, though :(
I was thinking the exact same thing, regarding PowerCraft. Tis something I've used before, and for the redstone logic alone (of which there is an abundance and is fairly simple to make) its a damn handy mod. Only thing is...I'm not sure if its compatible with the stuff that's already in FTB. Worth a look and perhaps contact, though.

Also, it has lasers. Like, laser tripwires and attack lasers, along with insta-smelters (requires constant fueling, though, IIRC), and a buncha other handy stuff. Note that all the stuff I'm mentioning is from the 1.2.5 version, as well, since its the last edition with which I played, there's likely more to it, now. And, yes, conveyor belts are hella fun to mess with.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Oh ok hehe, well I don't consider putting rails in my base as an option to replace the tubes.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
It would be back to BC pipes mostly which means having to plan for overflow/filled containers that RP tubes do automatically. I had just switched from BC Pipes to RP2 tubes in hopes of simplifying the storage network. The real annoyance is that tubes work properly with barrels filling first then next as opposed to routers which seem to randomly pick a barrel to put stuff in or pipes random pipe to transit through (pet peeve). That said it can be worked out eventually. I'd miss the sorting machine though, the ability to assign colors and have it go to the right place is a very handy concept. Other things like the gates Powercraft or others can shore up.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
It would be back to BC pipes mostly which means having to plan for overflow/filled containers that RP tubes do automatically.

You know, RP doesn't really "do it automatically" it just hides it a little longer. Since backflow can go _anywhere_ and block _anything_ , whatever got blocked stops doing its thing and everything behind it backs up as well. Eventually you notice your wall of machines have stopped working and you spend 30 minutes trying to figure out what fiilled up causing overflow.

Just yesterday I had my wall of centrifuge producing methane totally stop because the tubes pulling from them got plugged with bee products - bees which are 40 y levels away and only connect because both systems feed into the sorting system. I think the centrifuges were stopped for _hours_

Methane being rather important, especially with the production reduced for rubber wood meaning I have absolutely no excess capacity, and most of the excess bee products not important at all, I'd much rather have the bee crap dropped on the ground.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
You know, RP doesn't really "do it automatically" it just hides it a little longer. Since backflow can go _anywhere_ and block _anything_ , whatever got blocked stops doing its thing and everything behind it backs up as well. Eventually you notice your wall of machines have stopped working and you spend 30 minutes trying to figure out what fiilled up causing overflow.

Just yesterday I had my wall of centrifuge producing methane totally stop because the tubes pulling from them got plugged with bee products - bees which are 40 y levels away and only connect because both systems feed into the sorting system. I think the centrifuges were stopped for _hours_

Methane being rather important, especially with the production reduced for rubber wood meaning I have absolutely no excess capacity, and most of the excess bee products not important at all, I'd much rather have the bee crap dropped on the ground.

I understand what you're saying but comparing the RP tubes to BC pipes the tubes do a lot more without creator input than the pipes. Even if you only consider the shortest path algorithm that they use they reduce the complexity heavily. Row of 10 barrels, pipes/tubes along the top. The tubes will start with the first barrel and down the line, the pipes will spread it out randomly, you don't know what will go where until after it happens. Minor difference but does matter. Also the system tries, sometimes not successfully, to only send out stuff when there is a destination for it. Using that you can bypass the need for void pipes everywhere to destroy what you don't have space for or a complex diamond pipe heavy environment to force a rerouting of an item to an overflow.

With enough diamond pipes, set with specific filters you can replicate the tube's decision making but the tubes, I slap a little paint on the first of a chain and it is set. I'm not very fond of RP2 (disclosure: or it's author) for a variety of reasons but the tube and machines to support it are quite nice. While in your case you'd rather the stuff dropped to the floor, it is exactly that behavior that is dangerous on servers. Dump 5 max speed quarries worth of output on the floor and see what happens to that server....One person's oversight can easily bring things to their knees and/or corrupt large areas.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

I really wish I knew how to wire up gates such that when a backflow was detected all recyclables would go into a void pipe. The more I work with Redpower2 tubes, the less I like them. A sorting machine cannot even keep up with the output of 1 quarry running at above 10 mj/t. I was spilling items everywhere. Valuable items our settlement is in short supply of, like gold.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Reading these problems makes me very happy about how I go about designing (or overdesigning) my systems. Most of them are either:
1. encapsulated and only comunicate with other systems trough safe ways
2. backlog proof, the supply stops dead until the consumption can catch up
3. small and task-specific - to avoid mixups
4. self-balancing - dual systems where the second non-critical system eats up the excess

or overflow protected with strategically placed restriction tubes

One nifty example is my IC power system. When it's idle, then I've got lava overflow, everything above 80% goes into centrifuges, which keeps both the crucibles and generators busy until I've got more work for it.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
It would be back to BC pipes mostly which means having to plan for overflow/filled containers that RP tubes do automatically. I had just switched from BC Pipes to RP2 tubes in hopes of simplifying the storage network. The real annoyance is that tubes work properly with barrels filling first then next as opposed to routers which seem to randomly pick a barrel to put stuff in or pipes random pipe to transit through (pet peeve). That said it can be worked out eventually. I'd miss the sorting machine though, the ability to assign colors and have it go to the right place is a very handy concept. Other things like the gates Powercraft or others can shore up.
Well if Krapht ever releases the new Logistics Pipes, this will all be a non-issue.

Xakthos

Jul 29, 2019
Well if Krapht ever releases the new Logistics Pipes, this will all be a non-issue.

Meh I wouldn't hold your breath. Feasibility/logic says go with the fork at this point but that's why that won't happen either.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I really wish I knew how to wire up gates such that when a backflow was detected all recyclables would go into a void pipe. The more I work with Redpower2 tubes, the less I like them. A sorting machine cannot even keep up with the output of 1 quarry running at above 10 mj/t. I was spilling items everywhere. Valuable items our settlement is in short supply of, like gold.
In which case, you are doing something wrong, as I had my sorting system dealing with a quarry running at max speed with no issues. The key thing is the first sorting machine should pull out stacks, not items. The sorting machine will always prioritise items in it's filter/sorting area (starting top left) over unsorted items, so if you have cobble assigned to a specific colour in the left most column, this will always get processed first over any other item.

Personally never had an issue with BC pipes. Back in tekkit days I had 5 quarries pumping into a BC pipe system with no problems, nothing being dumped out where it shouldn't be, and about as much lag as I'm getting under FTB with one quarry and a Red Power system.
Even the random path splitting of pipes was a useful function, especially if I wanted a % of a certain material to go to different destinations - not so easy under a RP system.