Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ghooostie

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, I figured as much. So skybase is the better option by far, unless you want to install a ton of extra safety measures and have to run around repairing damage during the limited day time you have.
A shame tbh, that one base style is so much better than the other in that regard.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on how you look at the game, and if you think about defenses a bit. One option is to build a tower on the side of a steep hill and run water down the hill. Another is just using blast resistant materials, or having water pour off your walls into a moat. Multiple walkways, stairs to your base with trapdoors, etc. Lots of ways to do it. The platform in the sky is sort of an easy default, but not the only way.[DOUBLEPOST=1401204579][/DOUBLEPOST]Skybase is only better if you define better as least effort. I like making traps and defenses,so the skybase option seems boring.

Ghooostie

Jul 29, 2019
If you make a tower at a hill with water all the way down, how would you yourself get in and out without too much trouble ? The harder you make it for mobs to get to your walls, the harder it'll be for yourself to get to them.
And that wont protect you against zombie miners either. Depending on what their AI chooses to do though anyway, maybe they'll flail in the water c':

You wont really have access to blast resistant materials early on either, so that's not too viable. Unless you just mean cobble and such, which isn't that protective against creepers in the long run.

I guess ground base would be if you like to really think out a fortress type base then seemingly.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
If you make a tower at a hill with water all the way down, how would you yourself get in and out without too much trouble ? The harder you make it for mobs to get to your walls, the harder it'll be for yourself to get to them.
And that wont protect you against zombie miners either. Depending on what their AI chooses to do though anyway, maybe they'll flail in the water c':

You wont really have access to blast resistant materials early on either, so that's not too viable. Unless you just mean cobble and such, which isn't that protective against creepers in the long run.

I guess ground base would be if you like to really think out a fortress type base then seemingly.

You need to experiment more with different materials :) Lots of ways to frustrate creepers.
As to the 'tower on a hil' build: The water clears away those pesky mobs that congregate around the base. I usually do a long walkway off of two sides, to stairs. If hostile worlds is on, the last three to six layers are the tower alternate 1x1 pillars around the base, so miners can't make a staircase.

I've also thought about doing a polynesian village in water, like what you see in tropicraft, with individual buildings on stilts

Ghooostie

Jul 29, 2019
Oh that's quite an interesting idea, I may have to play around with that concept a bit myself next time I play BnB. I'll have to make a new world at any rate, between the new ore distribution and the fact my old save isn't 1.0.7+ friendly, it's kinda required.

I thought about making an underwater base at one point, but I dropped the idea because even though you'd be safe from the majority of enemies, you wouldn't be able to grow crops, so you couldn't really sustain yourself, unless you had farms above water, at which point you might as well just have the entire base up there.

larae1929

Jul 29, 2019
I must admit atm with zombies breaking trapdoors and punji sticks im rather stumped on how to defend myself yikes

Ghooostie

Jul 29, 2019
So I just read the change log for 1.1.0 and noticed these

Enabled Food Rotting
Increased Food Rotting Speed

Anyone know the mechanics behind that?

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
held off till 1.1.0

roguelike loot overhaul
mob loot overhaul
mob difficulty overhaul
I'm kinda confused by the way you had this worded/positioned.... Is this actually something in 1.1.0 or did you mean to say it's being held off for 1.0.2 or something?

For those who are saying skybase is far better than ground base.... Try building a skybase on a pvp/raiding server and see how it goes for you. :p

Last edited:

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Blarg, question for you. I assume you guys have upgraded the server? I went to log in on break, (since Dez and I haven't synched up yet to redo ours. Stupid NZ/US time difference. Wake up Dez, it's only 4am! :) and got errors for the following blocks: HEE 3573, 27018 27012 3584 and meterocraft 1788.

Any idea what that is from?

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair, meteorcraft made it kinda easy to get your hands on some of the nether and end ores that were supposed to be hard to get.

Batch2

Jul 29, 2019
Creeper's don't explode randomly. I've tested it. I'm not sure they ever did honestly. They need to be triggered by something. Usually it's a block on the mob griefing list

I have updated the materials spreadsheet for those interested.

bombsack4

Jul 29, 2019
I have recently started this mod pack and I couldn't figure out how to make a sword. Can somebody please explain how?

larae1929

Jul 29, 2019
the mini creepers are an unpleasant addition...[DOUBLEPOST=1401210933][/DOUBLEPOST]u cant make swords in the beginning til u can make a smeltery- but u can make flint knives