Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
So I just read the change log for 1.1.0 and noticed these

Enabled Food Rotting
Increased Food Rotting Speed

Anyone know the mechanics behind that?

I'm also interested in what this does exactly. I could not find any documentation and there are no in game tool tips that give any insight onto this mechanic. I spent a few hours playing and did not notice anything. I looked at the config and did not see anything helpful.

Code:
####################
# rotting
####################

rotting {
    # Turning on causes food to spoil over time (currently buggy)
    B:addFoodRotting=true

# Rate at which food rots (in ticks)
    I:foodRotSpeed=200
}

I was concerned with the "(currently buggy)" in the comment though..

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
And we are up and running!

BNB.Lolnet.co.nz

Simple spawn with rules, run off and die in the wilderness. Mytown for protection from other players.

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
And we are up and running!

BNB.Lolnet.co.nz

Simple spawn with rules, run off and die in the wilderness. Mytown for protection from other players.
Just tried to join... missing biomes o plenty blocks.... I thought biomes o plenty was finally enabled by default. :( Guess I was wrong?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm also interested in what this does exactly. I could not find any documentation and there are no in game tool tips that give any insight onto this mechanic. I spent a few hours playing and did not notice anything. I looked at the config and did not see anything helpful.

Code:
####################
# rotting
####################

rotting {
    # Turning on causes food to spoil over time (currently buggy)
    B:addFoodRotting=true

# Rate at which food rots (in ticks)
    I:foodRotSpeed=200
}

I was concerned with the "(currently buggy)" in the comment though..

It doesn't do anything currently. I thought I turned it back off.

Just tried to join... missing biomes o plenty blocks.... I thought biomes o plenty was finally enabled by default. :( Guess I was wrong?

Nope. BoP makes hardcore almost impossible due to food not wanting to generate in many of the biomes. It makes a bad spawn even worse for those of us who prefer that game play.

It does add a nice variety for servers and nonhc players, or for HC tournament style servers like Sevadus may be doing soon.

Speaking of servers. I will be hopefully spending thursday setting up the pledge server.

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't do anything currently. I thought I turned it back off.

Nope. BoP makes hardcore almost impossible due to food not wanting to generate in many of the biomes. It makes a bad spawn even worse for those of us who prefer that game play.

It does add a nice variety for servers and nonhc players, or for HC tournament style servers like Sevadus may be doing soon.

Speaking of servers. I will be hopefully spending thursday setting up the pledge server.
Ah ok, makes sense.

Edit: Wow, second hardcore world lost first day because I accidently punched a villager. >.<

Last edited:

sisho

Jul 29, 2019
36 Eyamaz!? You dirty evil @#$% ! 12 wasn't enough? Doubling it to 24 wasn't enough? OUCH!

PS: Much Love. :)

I have to agree, 36 is an awful lot honestly. I mean as it is 12 is still pretty steep as far as food cycling goes lol

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
We turned on BoP. Just like the look. Both dez and i like to build pretty things :) and yes, our spawn area is a bit...sparse...until you run a bit. But also next to an ocean, so you can go boating.
But servers are inherently easier than singleplayer, so if people die a bit more at the start, oh well.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree, 36 is an awful lot honestly. I mean as it is 12 is still pretty steep as far as food cycling goes lol

I don't have any problems finding/making plenty of different kinds of food even at the start is pretty easy.. The main problem I am finding is all of the inventory room it takes to keep sufficient variety on me while resource gathering. Have to dedicate half your inventory just for food to do a resource run which slows the early game down a little too much. Might be a good idea to give a better "grace" period than 4 foods. Especially since those first 4 you eat after starting fresh are always 0.5 saturation foods. Might as well not have a "grace" period at all.. Then you have to organize your food in a manner that is easy to keep track of what you ate so you can cycle through them with out having to mouse over every single one to see what will actually give you saturation. So sorting your inventory with inventory tweaks often will screw up your ability to track what you ate without spending a minute to mouse over each food when you need to eat. I like the idea, but the current settings are a little harsh with the mod not having many features to help with time management. We all know that time management is pretty damn important especially when starting a new world in this pack. Spending 20% of your time during the day while resource gathering just to manage food is pretty harsh. Unless of course you want to waste food..

I found that even though I was familiar with what the mod did, my first play I was only able to cover half the distance for initial resource gathering before I had to hide in a hole the first night because I spent a lot of time managing what to eat.

Once I die I'll see if it's any different on a second or third play. Currently at about 4 hours play and surviving.

Perhaps the mod author could make it so that when a food reaches zero saturation that it stops you from eating it so you do not have to mouse over it to see if the next time you eat it will give you nothing.

Last edited:

sisho

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have any problems finding/making plenty of different kinds of food even at the start is pretty easy.. The main problem I am finding is all of the inventory room it takes to keep sufficient variety on me while resource gathering. Have to dedicate half your inventory just for food. Then you have to organize it in a manner that is easy to keep track of what you ate so you can cycle through them with out having to mouse over every single one to see what will actually give you saturation.

That was the general idea. You pretty much are forced to use your whole inventory to carry food or an entire backpack if you have one.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
On a general basis, it forces players to actually explore the entirety of Harvestcraft.
On a more select basis, it removes easy abuse foods from being OP like coagulated blood, Apple trees (even I abused them,) and cookies. It does make a huge struggle at the beginning, hence the immediate change to farming early.

The only real advice I can give people playing, especially new players:

Stop thinking like its normal modded minecraft.

It's difficult, on as many levels as I can make it. Survival is an accomplishment in and of itself.

My vision of it an any rate. I just choose to share it with you (cause apparently you are as twisted as I am.)

larae1929

Jul 29, 2019
survival?? what survival? rofl the monsters r taking turns and holding raffles to see which one gets to kill me next....

Dezil_nz

Jul 29, 2019
Why did you decide to enable it on the server? It seems like enabling it is more work than the average player will want to do.

you still think along the lines that servers must be made to get more players if it was only me and mik we would still play the server :p

we love BOP and thats why its on

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
On a general basis, it forces players to actually explore the entirety of Harvestcraft.
On a more select basis, it removes easy abuse foods from being OP like coagulated blood, Apple trees (even I abused them,) and cookies. It does make a huge struggle at the beginning, hence the immediate change to farming early.

The only real advice I can give people playing, especially new players:

Stop thinking like its normal modded minecraft.

It's difficult, on as many levels as I can make it. Survival is an accomplishment in and of itself.

My vision of it an any rate. I just choose to share it with you (cause apparently you are as twisted as I am.)

Problem is that the Spice of Life mod does not add any difficulty to the game for those that have been playing it properly. It just adds a time sink and inconvenience factor. Which I am ok with, but my opinion is that the new player grace period that you have set is a bit too harsh. I will get used to it, but I just wanted to state my experience and opinion on it ;)

It's a bit of a shock for an experienced BnB player. I can only imagine the shock from someone totally new to the pack :p

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
you still think along the lines that servers must be made to get more players if it was only me and mik we would still play the server :p

we love BOP and thats why its on
Ya, it's not something I'll really be able to shake unless things change a lot.... One of the problems with being one of the largest server networks. :p