Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
to mass produce it? once I actually get to redefining some things, all of AE is going to require steel instead of iron. this will probably come with the loot overhauls, but...

1.1.1 is currently being uploaded.

fixes broken recipes
updates SoL to fix Harvestcraft issues
changes SoL to 5/30 instead of 4/36

the overhauls scheduled for 1.1.1 are now pushed to 1.1.2 unless another derp :p
Ah ok, I'm such a dumb sometimes, especially late at night after going through every config file. Thanks for the update.

-shhfiftyfive

Jul 29, 2019
the 1.1(.1) has its annoyances. annoying =/= difficult.

- the food is tedious and time consuming, but not exactly difficult. i felt like we were playing a farming simulator all night, cause we did virtually nothing for hours but constantly expand our farm for this SoL change. and that's with zero deaths on our part.

that's early game for everyone who plays this pack... not sure that's an interesting move for this modpack. especially the HC crowd. , speaking of popularity of streaming or playing. cause if you die and start over a lot, it truly ends up being a "watch me rebuild the farm again" HC experience.

------- the possible way to solve this would be to further increase the growth rate of crops, cause if i have 20 of each crop growing, and over a dozen crop types. that should be enough to feed say a small server of say 6 players, but currently the growth rate setting does not allow that. you will burn through food faster than even a farm of this size can grow back. i think a 9x9 farm should feed 1 person. but it doesn't at the moment. we had something like (8) 9x9 farms up and running last night, and wasn't enough crop growth rate to get our food storage into the positive for (3) people! we kept having to leave base for food. that's not right. and that's with bonemeal'ing several types of fruit trees, plus unlimited cookies and jerky. the crop growth rate just doesn't keep pace at all.

- the stack size of food went up, but it needs more adjustment... if i have 8-20 types of food, plus seeds, and juices, etc etc, and i need to carry 7 types on me... since the nutritional value prevents me from chugging on one type,why not un-nerf the stack size?

if i can stack x amount of carrots, why can't i stack the same amount of cherries/strawberries, etc. same goes for smoothie stacks vs juice stack sizes. i mean i can drink more than 1/2 a stack of smoothies at a time. that's not right. i'd rather just not make smoothies if that's the case. before the update, that was fine cause i'd carry 6 stacks of smoothies and be set for food, but im not gonna carry more than 1 stack of each smoothie when i need so many different types as well. also, it makes me never ready to leave my base, cause i just can't make enough room in my inventory to make a worth-while trip to go anywhere or do anything productive.

- i'm finding the need for a backpack extremely high in solo play. less brutal in groups because you can organize better during the first few days before making a base (1 player hold all of one item instead of both players holding some of the same item, giving the group more overall inventory space to hold more item types collectively.) and in MP you can split up and work on different tasks, meaning less back and forth travel, less inventory management issues. 2 people can take a day trip and get 2x as many item types over a single player, meaning that solo player would need to take 2 days/trips to accomplish the same thing.

string/cotton will take time to grow. okay. every time we create a new world. okay. but leather shouldn't be so RNG (especially when needed in such large quantities in MP).

------- so i'd like the pack to somehow give us a way to produce leather w/o relying on cows/horses. (some recipe, idk. maybe 5-8 zombie jerky could make 1 leather??). that would go a long way to ending the annoying inventory management that prevents us from leaving our base, and being completely reliant on RNG finding leather based on world gen, yet still take considerable effort to gather enough.

Last edited:

N-kay

Jul 29, 2019
------- so i'd like the pack to somehow give us a way to produce leather w/o relying on cows/horses. (some recipe, idk. maybe 5-8 zombie jerky could make 1 leather??). that would go a long way to ending the annoying inventory management that prevents us from leaving our base, and being completely reliant on RNG finding leather based on world gen, yet still take considerable effort to gather enough.

Haven't tried it myself in this pack so I don't know if it's possible, but normally Magical Crops can produce cow essence wich you can craft into leather.

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know of a way to disable extra utils dungeon loot? I would rather have division sigil just be a drop from the wither, but it appears that fathertoasts custom chest loot mod doesn't have extra utils support?

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
The exciting part of Blood N Bones is collection of few mods namely gases, DeadlyWorld, and collection of modes related to mobs and their AI.

Tedious part contains only 3 pre configured modes Pam's harvest (food/farming), Iguana Tweaks settings (stack size and overload), and hunger overhaul. I do not consider other modes since they virtually do not exist in the game before you conquer End.

For single player one can modify parameters as comfortable if you are fine with chain crafting. At least for myself atop of config file modifications in 1.07 I added ArsMagica and Thaumcraft to enable relaxation from Pam's harvesting and to introduce variety of game-play. I did not find how to enable draw bridges yet, since they can make nice base design solutions.

Marsupilami

Jul 29, 2019
I found out what Drowning Creepers do. Click spoiler if you want to know. Don't click it if you want them to be a surprise :p

Drowning creepers spawn a cage around you made of silverfish blocks filled with water. So when you break the blocks to get out which takes longer because you are under water they start breaking into silverfish. A new kind of hell for sure :p

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of the problems people have, like food, leather, etc, have solutions....but the solutions take some work and time. It's a slower pack, and you don't have answers for everything at the start. It takes time and work to solves some problems. If you had the answers to those problems early on, it wouldn't be much of a hard modpack.

If you were playing vanilla minecraft and wanted leather, you'd get wheat, find a cow, and entice it back. Repeat with another cow, spend time breeding etc. In BNB, you can make safari nets and it's even easier.

The need for lots of food, and varieties just means big gardens, and maybe learning some recipes.

If you don't have inventory room, work on getting backpacks or a knapsack, before that, use plastic bags.

There are solutions to all the problems, they just may take more time than you're used to.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
I found out what Drowning Creepers do. Click spoiler if you want to know. Don't click it if you want them to be a surprise :p

Aren't these amazing!! So cruel and clever. I saw a zoatataur last night. Looked mean, wasn't going to go play with it. And dying to see what splitting creepers do.

Reactions: larae1929

larae1929

Jul 29, 2019

Drowning creepers spawn a cage around you made of silverfish blocks filled with water. So when you break the blocks to get out which takes longer because you are under water they start breaking into silverfish. A new kind of hell for sure :p
I so did not need to know that :([DOUBLEPOST=1401296744][/DOUBLEPOST]
Aren't these amazing!! So cruel and clever. I saw a zoatataur last night. Looked mean, wasn't going to go play with it. And dying to see what splitting creepers do.
I killed one he broke into about 4 mini creepers that all chased me and killed me....

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome. I heard people on the server dying and screaming about minicreepers. That solves that mystery as well. Ah, so twisted.

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like SoL is rounding down rather than up for it's hunger value based on %. Means things like juice lose half their value after the first drink, not entirely sure yet what I think about that....

PS: The amount of complaining on here shows SoL is great for the pack. :p

Last edited:

Booyadude

Jul 29, 2019
So there's a lot of complaints about inventory space etc., and admittedly I do think it's... less than great that the game has become a food micromanagement simulator with a "how many things can I make from this?" minigame.

However, I think the larger problem is that it discourages making anything other than a ton of the most basic foods. Most are just going to live off a few types of snacks/morsels, cycling through the cheap foods as necessary, maybe making a large food once or twice for some health regen. No more working your way toward fulfilling meals, why bother when it'll dwindle down to a morsel in a few bites? Snacks/morsels have practically no saturation anyway, so you're not losing anything. It'll still give you half a hunger point after several servings, so why not just keep eating those? That hearty meal you actually put effort into making though? Watch as its value falls drastically with every serving.

People already relied on cheap snacks and morsels through most of the early game, now they're going to rely on 5 or 6 types of cheap snacks through the rest of it.

PhatBatman

Jul 29, 2019
Booyadude, I agree. I loved spending time cooking of a nice deluxe hamburger, but now it will have to be 7 different kinds of smoothie.

Inventory management should be a concern, but this pack is centralizing around it. The fact that you cannot tech up to overcome the food issues makes it an annoyance rather than a challenge. I want a world that challenges me to figure out how to overcome it.

I will stick 1.07 until this is either changed or 1.1+ provides enough content for me to upgrade and then turn off SoL.

Eyamaz, just wanted to say thanks, this pack is just awesome. Most fun I have had in Minecraft, period.

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
For those who think SoL needs a bit of a tweak and are playing singleplayer, the SpiceOfLife.cfg file should let you change the values quite easily. Why not mess around with it and post what you think works best in your opinion? (I'm working on one right now :p)

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Why can you not continue to do hamburgers and other foods? Sure, if you want to eat the same thing all the time they lose value, but you just use them along with other foods.

And don't kid yourself that lots of people made varieties of foods and this will just make them go the easy route. Most people already did that. Most of the players just lived off of blood from a smelter, carrot juice, melon juice, baked potatoes. The easy route just isn't so easy anymore.

-shhfiftyfive

Jul 29, 2019
Haven't tried it myself in this pack so I don't know if it's possible, but normally Magical Crops can produce cow essence wich you can craft into leather.
idk how that mod works tbh, but this pack update has essence seeds and essence ore gen disabled.

this modpack update is currently revolving solely around inventory management and farming. this has nothing to do with difficulty. instead, it just taking away the spotlight of the modpack. the update should be showcasing the new mobs, dangers, etc, which we've had very little time to pay any attention to. i mean we were think of doing a 24 hour twitch stream, but it would be mostly focused wholly on farming, and thus not showcasing anything new in the update... do viewers want to watch that?

and i agree that the nutritional value loss from better meals gives no incentive to actually make better foods. :(

maybe there is a way to edit it so instead of needing "30 meals" to reset the diminishing returns, maybe the code could be written for say 40ish (1/2 points) of hunger instead would reset it.

so that way making better foods would allow/mean you'd be able to overcome the locked/fixed 7 types of snack/morsel.

this would maintain difficulty in the beginning but balanced by having scouted all day getting different raw foods. then you can break this cycle of 30 foods by making better foods (4-6 types of juice totaling 20-25 juice = about 40 hunger 1/2 points = reset... instead of 7 types of ANYTHING totaling 30 meals, etc)

that would mean you'd eat a few types of good meals, and still be forced to make multiple types of good foods. but at least the diminishing returns would reset faster cause the better meals restore more hunger.

instead of seeing all great meals diminish down to the effectiveness of a morsel... because you HAVE to eat 30 meals before it becomes useful again...

Last edited:

PhatBatman

Jul 29, 2019
Why can you not continue to do hamburgers and other foods? Sure, if you want to eat the same thing all the time they lose value, but you just use them along with other foods.

You can still make the high end food, but making 7 different kinds would mean that all you do is farm and eat.

geneweaver

Jul 29, 2019
hello and thanks. still loving this pack, i like SOL just need more tweeking(as u have said). im looking for the SOL page so i can add it to my modpack/track changes.
thanks again.

Blargerist

Jul 29, 2019
hello and thanks. still loving this pack, i like SOL just need more tweeking(as u have said). im looking for the SOL page so i can add it to my modpack/track changes.
thanks again.
https://github.com/squeek502/SpiceOfLife
And don't kid yourself that lots of people made varieties of foods and this will just make them go the easy route. Most people already did that. Most of the players just lived off of blood from a smelter, carrot juice, melon juice, baked potatoes. The easy route just isn't so easy anymore.
Not gonna lie, I ate nothing but spider eye soup that I made with bones and eyes from my mob spawner. :p