Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
I used the survivalist generator. It is slow as crap, but I have been harvesting loads of rubber trees for torches and I had chests upon chests of rubber wood that I would convert into charcoal and through into the genny. Very good power production I think.

What about strongboxes? You know they negate the weight limitation completely right? Fill up a strongbox, use a wrench and pick it up, all gear inside and no weight at all.

Backpacks do the same thing, and even easier. 8 leather for the small pack, 16 and a stack of string for the big one. I assume the project red packs do the same. In my mind, i see it trying to hold all those things in my hands while exploring/fighting/building, vs tossing into my backpack :)

One way to fix things slightly would be to add an arbitrary weight to backpacks. 8 for small, 16 for large, etc.

Blu76

Jul 29, 2019
ahh yeah I couldn't get enough string and leather in my world soon enough. I had the metals to make the boxes first so I went that route. Good to know.

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
Backpacks do the same thing, and even easier. 8 leather for the small pack, 16 and a stack of string for the big one. I assume the project red packs do the same. In my mind, i see it trying to hold all those things in my hands while exploring/fighting/building, vs tossing into my backpack :)

One way to fix things slightly would be to add an arbitrary weight to backpacks. 8 for small, 16 for large, etc.

Seconded on increasing the weights of these storage methods if possible. I've not actually looked into how the weight is done though.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed something in the nether. Armor points/absorbtion doesn't seem to come back. Is this intentional? Your armor goes down like normal from a few hits, but does not regen back up over time. Haven't tested whether it's a visual bug, or if you really won't have any armor after a couple of hits.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the darkness actually depresses me at times. That, and it seems to rain a hell of a lot. Very depressing world. I like the hardcore challenge, but the darkness feels like a psychological effect that at times I could really do without.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the darkness actually depresses me at times. That, and it seems to rain a hell of a lot. Very depressing world. I like the hardcore challenge, but the darkness feels like a psychological effect that at times I could really do without.

That's it's intent. Coupled with Dynamic Lights and the difficulty of the mobs, it helps bring a deeper level of immersion to the game. A deeper feeling of fear and paranoia not abundant in other packs or MC in general. This is intensified the higher the difficulty you play on and playing on hardcore peaks this. (though I'll be moving this back to 30 from 40 in 1.0.4. It's more comfortable.)
I'm currently working on making dungeons and the deep dark a necessity for progression, provided things work correctly.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently working on making dungeons and the deep dark a necessity for progression, provided things work correctly.

I like that idea. Having reasons for progressing through dungeons, or visiting the deep dark, or any other content is good. It gives some goals, and a roadmap, which quite a few people want/need in their games, and is a staple in most MMO's.

..totally unrelated topic. I was pondering bloodmagic. (I have no idea if you made changes beyond the starting recipes.) When i was doing setup for our MagicFarm server, I saw a lot of things i didn't like at the time, that sort of negated a lot of the fun of that pack. Invulnerable flying armor that took away all risk being a major one. A few players helped in the decision to remove it by committing suicide over and over for hours on end to progress as fast as they could and "win the game".

Having some way to prevent the serial suicide strategy would make the mod much harder.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019

I like that idea. Having reasons for progressing through dungeons, or visiting the deep dark, or any other content is good. It gives some goals, and a roadmap, which quite a few people want/need in their games, and is a staple in most MMO's.

..totally unrelated topic. I was pondering bloodmagic. (I have no idea if you made changes beyond the starting recipes.) When i was doing setup for our MagicFarm server, I saw a lot of things i didn't like at the time, that sort of negated a lot of the fun of that pack. Invulnerable flying armor that took away all risk being a major one. A few players helped in the decision to remove it by committing suicide over and over for hours on end to progress as fast as they could and "win the game".

Having some way to prevent the serial suicide strategy would make the mod much harder.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons you don't spawn with full health on non-hardcore. Add in healing only through food or magic makes that a bit more difficult, but still an option. I may have to ask @WayofTime for something. Maybe a forge event that triggers if you kill yourself with the sacrificial knife that depletes your LP or summoning a demon where you died. Anything to deter a player from that course is better than nothing.

Batch2

Jul 29, 2019

I would really like that. While minecraft is a superior game to terraria in many ways the one thing it has always lacked for me was a solid connection between exploration and advancement. Sure occasionally you need to visit some other area to grab a fairly common item that's only available there (blaze power/glostone) but these events are usually far and few inbetween and rather easy. Having to explore dungeons to get particular items to advance or build better gear would be great.

There are also many other times in this mod when you'd want to commit suicide. Traveling, being near to starvation, etc... It's definitely a difficult task as you only want to penalize those that are committing suicide and not those that die accidentally. I think possibly the best way of doing this would be to focus on staying alive rather than dying. What if there were certain events tied to how long the player has been alive that would supply resources necessary for progression. A player killing themselves to gain an advantage would then be setting themselves back, while someone who died accidentally would likely not really care about the setback as they are already having a hard time and are not ready to progress. I'm thinking of something akin to the invasion but where the counter resets when the player dies.

I don't know if there's a practical way to implement something like this without doing some heavy modding, but thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is, the guys committing suicide over and over will just look at the penalty and say "what do i care? I'll just die 1047 times to raise blood magic, and once that's done worry about food and staying alive". Sadly, once bloodmagic put in the "cut yourself for power" mechanic, it leads to that situation. And in a modpack where you don't automatically heal, it makes just killing yourself even more needful.

Possible fix for normal and hard difficulty would be not let you use the sacraficial knife to gain power if your health is half or less. So you'd have to heal up, then sacrifice.

Or do a wholesale change on some recipes. Reduce the need for blood, add in rarer ingredients for all the runes to balance it, and give a reason for doing something other than killing your character over and over.

Blockmaster139

Jul 29, 2019
That's it's intent. Coupled with Dynamic Lights and the difficulty of the mobs, it helps bring a deeper level of immersion to the game. A deeper feeling of fear and paranoia not abundant in other packs or MC in general. This is intensified the higher the difficulty you play on and playing on hardcore peaks this. (though I'll be moving this back to 30 from 40 in 1.0.4. It's more comfortable.)

I completely agree, the first few nights where I was just scraping off resources from villages and wandering around aimlessly, the nights where terrifying, but the darkness also gave it a sense of ambience, and the nights where actually dark. Unfortunately, it's just become a nuisance living in the side of a mountain where I have to put a torch every two blocks. Plus, since I'm so used to playing on Full Brightness, Moody Brightness does it anyway.

Also good to here about requiring dungeons and deep dark. Gotta love how this pack incorporates all the mods into the progression. It may be useful to add a guide telling us where to go...

Hey and while I'm here, it may be worth telling you that I am getting some world-corrupting crashes with Glenn's Gases at times. Usually following a lag spike that's probably caused by something else. I'll get a crash report asap.

Anesos

Jul 29, 2019
Seconded on increasing the weights of these storage methods if possible. I've not actually looked into how the weight is done though.

Some form of progression here would be good. I hate how little I can carry early on, but making a couple of backpacks and being able to carry everything without any weight issues is a little too easy (I guess :) ). Having the packs themselves weigh something seems like a good compromise.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Amadeus99

Jul 29, 2019
The recipe for Cobalt Axe is incorrect. In config/minetweaker/BnBVanillaRecipes.cfg at line 55, you have:
recipes.addShaped(<279>, [[oreDict.ingotCobalt,oreDict.ingotCobalt,null],[oreDict.ingotCobalt,oreDict.stickWood,null],[null,oreDict.ingotWood,null]]);​

Notice the oreDict.ingotWood near the end. Should be oreDict.stickWood. :oops:

Last edited:

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Glens Gases has some problems. Never good when you make a new world, and just lag the first day hearing "boom, rumble, BOOM".

I wonder about the mechanic he used for the flow? I know the cool tanks (extra utilities?) that you could make in any shape, use up a lot of server resources as they keep checking fluid level between connected tanks and moving liquid back and forth. Might be something like that.

They do add a huge amount of difficulty, and fit with the pack.
- I like the flammable gas, makes you be careful placing torches.
- I dislike the coal dust, the explosion is huge. Just means i don't mine coal, it's not needed for a whole lot. Charcoal is just as good. (I've yet to figure out how to make the gas ovens work or find a utube video where the someone can make them work without just creating a stack of bottled gases, so no free diamonds from coal stacks.)
-Redgas is currently insane, creating huge holes down to bedrock and going off like nukes.
-The 'not redgas but looks like it' I tend to not mess with, i think it goes away if water is spread but causes bad reactions? I avoid it in case it's redgas.
-Steam i like. Makes sense.
-Smoke needs to decay, not just move up. Gets stuck way too much, even under torches, and hangs around forever.

Because of the reduced light, the lanterns with torches are pretty much useless, as they give less light than torches. Glowstone lanterns are great for around the house, not for mining. Simply too expensive in iron and glowstone to make hundreds of them for mining. Maybe if you didn't lose the glowstone and could recover them.

As always, JMHO

Amadeus99

Jul 29, 2019
(I've yet to figure out how to make the gas ovens work...)

You need to have a Gas Pump inline with your pipes to pump the gas into the oven. As in, Gas Tank -> Gas Pipe(s) -> Gas Pump (arrow on the Gas Pump pointing to the next set of Gas Pipes) -> Gas Pipes -> Gas Furnace. Note, it seems that if you leave the gas pumping into the furnace, the furnace will eventually explode. It's a very small explosion but it will take out nearby gas pipes, pumps, and tanks, if you have them right next to the furnace.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
-Redgas is currently insane, creating huge holes down to bedrock and going off like nukes.
Like this?
IvlBs0z.jpg

-Smoke needs to decay, not just move up. Gets stuck way too much, even under torches, and hangs around forever.
Yes, and it seems to cause tick lag according to Opis.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, then next question on gas. How to get it? I've tried placing collectors near gas, and tried right clicking with bottles. Never seem to actually get gas.