Best automated tree farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
For sheer OPness MFR is the most productive, for sheer elegance I like Forestry, gone to the back of the pile for me is SC tree farms since they are now super expensive and buggy (who hasn't had a cart disappear on them in the past).

Reactions: Pokefenn

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Getting ghast tears isn't that hard with a coin of fortune, unless something is interfering with ghast spawn rates. The only hard bit with galgadorian tools is the diamonds, and even then, we're not exactly short on ways of gathering them.

Incidentally, a galgadorian woodcutter is nowhere near as expensive as a galgadorian drill (which, by the way, is also worth the expense).

(who hasn't had a cart disappear on them in the past).

Me. I've never even heard of this. Are you sure someone didn't steal it? :p

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I like Steve's Carts because they are a lot of fun for me to build but now I have worked out how to fully automate MFR farms I don't envisage me starting out with a Steve's carts tree farm. I still use Steve's carts but in a different way, I now use it when I am way more established just for the extra layer it adds to the game. (I also copy the cart in cheat mode and put it in a special chest that I only open again if my cart breaks. I play singleplayer so I don't feel bad about doing that). I like the new forestry farms but they are slow and I don't use them for vanilla saplings. The only serious forestry farms I use are rubber ones, and I am about to set up orchards and forestry sapling farms. I think forestry farms tend to be less power hungry too.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
You can run a forestry farm on 1MJ/t albeit wont run fast so they are "green" compare that to MFR which eats MJ. But to me it's a nice balance, you want OP you pay for it in power, plus Forestry has butterflies :D which only come from forestry trees.

AlwaysGoofingOff

Jul 29, 2019
I personally like the SC farm. Completely self sustaining, easy to expand or disable if needed, and it provides more than enough for my 36hp boiler plus fermenter plus diesel generator setup.

I think the MFR route is great too but I like how you can setup the SC solution with no power needs.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
I personally like the SC farm. Completely self sustaining, easy to expand or disable if needed, and it provides more than enough for my 36hp boiler plus fermenter plus diesel generator setup.

I think the MFR route is great too but I like how you can setup the SC solution with no power needs.
It's need power in of form of burning values. Just like a stone furnace.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I love my SC farm, have the wood pumping into 19 coke ovens making charcoal to feed a boiler, this filled a railcraft max tank of creosote plus +-14000 buckets in a quantum tank so made another boiler running off the creosote!!! And at last count I had a surplus of over 150 000 wood blocks in a quantum chest;)

Also produced about 500 buckets of juice and who knows how much biogas(been using it constantly) from the saplings but combined with 2 bees I have a max tank filled with biogas and a 7x7 full of biofuel with over 20 000 saplings stored;)

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Uhh your boilers will run out of Cresote sooner or later. A full LP need 54 charcoal burning coke ovens and a full HP need double that. Have fun with that.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm enjoying the MFR tree farm. I put in all the piping to be self-sustaining. Sewer -> fertilizer, harvester ->planter, sludge boiler.

I think a simpler setup would be the SC tree farm. Even in the nerfed output and repair mechanism in 1.5.2, it is a lot easier to configure and maintain. You can stick a stack of iron in the repair slot and let it run for quite a while. It is self-fueling, so no need to add fuel.

The MFR tree farm can be maintenance free, but requires a lot of piping and other inputs and machines to let it run in a self-contained loop. Right now, I have 6 different pipe networks in order to run it all. AE and liquiducts will greatly simplify the piping needed to maintain it all, but I'm not quite there yet.

Jemjem787

Jul 29, 2019
What is this AE people talk about? And thankyou guys for all of these suggestions. I haven't learned SC yet so I will be making a MFR farm.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Uhh your boilers will run out of Cresote sooner or later. A full LP need 54 charcoal burning coke ovens and a full HP need double that. Have fun with that.

Yes, I know this but considering my ovens ran for 5 months without using any creosote and I just needed to get rid of it I'm happy it will last long enough... Just busy finishing up my world before abandoning it for a new 1.5.2 or 1.6 world(if mods are mostly sorted).

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
What is this AE people talk about? And thankyou guys for all of these suggestions. I haven't learned SC yet so I will be making a MFR farm.
AE = Applied Energistics (http://www.ae-mod.info)
SC = Steve's Carts.

For a SC tree farm, you build the cart (one up from wood), wood cutter core, solar engine, coal engine, side chests (or any storage), and place in a cart assembler. (I don't think I missed any needed options.) You can also add in a fertilizer if you want, but it doesn't need one. Trees grow quite well on their own. Then, you just place a loop of track/rail, place the cart and give it some saplings and a bit of fuel to start.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
AE is a mod called Applied Energistics. It stores your items in a different way than what you might be used to. Instead of storing your items in chests it stores them as "data" on disks. Your items can be accessed from a block called an access terminal which displays all your items in a table similarly to logistics pipes. The advantage of using AE is that you have very compact storage. The website for AE is very good if you're interested and it is a mod that I (and probably over half this forum) would recommend. The feature that was being referred to in this thread were the ME cables which are item transmission cables that transfer items instantly. They also don't overflow or anything because when an item is inside those pipes they are being stored as data. The cables also have import buses and export buses that can be used to push items in and pull items out of machines. Personally, I use a tiny bit of AE when automating my ME farms. I could use full AE if I wanted to but I have found it to be more fun and just as easy to use buildcraft pipes and MFR conveyor belts to automate it. I push products into ender chests that feed into my AE system and AE keeps a three ender chests stocked with fertiliser, carrots and wheat respectively, but I use buildcraft pipes to push those into breeders and fertiliser blocks. My pipes haven't overflowed once.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Is AE in the ultimate pack or should I go manually add it?
I believe it is in the pack, but not the latest version. If you are on 1.4.7, you definitely want to manually update as there are squashed bugs. Not sure sure about the 1.5.2 packs.

AlwaysGoofingOff

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need the solar engine on SC. The coal engine runs just fine off wood and saplings. Just set the cargo manager to both unload and reload everything from all slots. It will automatically put saplings in the sapling slot and a mix of saplings and wood in the engine slot. The solar might make it more efficient but it already puts out a ton of wood, apples, and saplings without the solar engine for me.

I am on current live version of ultimate. 1.4.7 I think? I heard SC got nerfed to require iron to repair now but can't speak to that.