Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@keybounce That sounds about right for those tiers. Once you get higher up in the tiers there are ways to automate the entire process, such as the Well of Suffering that @Esheon mentioned, or the Ritual of the Feathered Knife.

I know it sounds like a pain, but the more runes you have to add to the total gain from any sort of sacrifice goes a long way.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
So let me see if I understand this, maybe, correctly.

The first altar is cheap. Once made, you can prick yourself for 100 LP per HP, 2 HP per prick. You can put a total of 10,000 (100 HP, 50 hearts) into this. And, there is no choice besides putting your own blood in.

In order to use mobs, you have to go up to level 2 altar, make a dagger of sacrifice, and then either turn your altar from a safe spot to the heart of a mob spawner, or have such a massive animal farm that the time for children to grow up isn't a major limit, neither of which is automateable because you have to score the hit yourself with a bound tool.

Am I on track so far?
Adding on to Esheon, I combined the Well of Suffering and the Ritual of Regeneration beneath my altar around the fourth tier to have an automated way of storing blood. Of course with Sacrifice runes making up my altar to max out the amount of blood you get.

Reactions: Padfoote

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh. I did not realize that you could automate it, and without automation, those upper level items/spells ...

ok, so this is designed on the assumption of automation. Fine. Workable.

Well of suffering ... (re-reads OP) ...[DOUBLEPOST=1391451977][/DOUBLEPOST]
Costing an impressive 50,000 LP to activate, the Well of Suffering is your first option for passive LP generation. This ritual will select entities (except players) within its radius and damage them, generating about 10 LP per half heart of damage,

500 HP, or 250 hearts on yourself ...

Or, at 500 per hostile you nick, 100 hostiles.

At tier 2, your network maxes at 25K.
So you have to upgrade to tier 3, and then make a tier 3 orb. Right?

Wait, the tier 3 orb requires 40K, but you can only store 25K until you have that tier 3 orb?

How do you go from tier 2 to tier 3? I mean, the altar build isn't a problem, but that orb ... what?

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh. I did not realize that you could automate it, and without automation, those upper level items/spells ...

ok, so this is designed on the assumption of automation. Fine. Workable.

Well of suffering ... (re-reads OP) ...[DOUBLEPOST=1391451977][/DOUBLEPOST]

500 HP, or 250 hearts on yourself ...

Or, at 500 per hostile you nick, 100 hostiles.

At tier 2, your network maxes at 25K.
So you have to upgrade to tier 3, and then make a tier 3 orb. Right?

Wait, the tier 3 orb requires 40K, but you can only store 25K until you have that tier 3 orb?

How do you go from tier 2 to tier 3? I mean, the altar build isn't a problem, but that orb ... what?

You have to be there adding to the altar during crafting. The altar holds 10k not 25k (the 25k is in the orb and not usable in the altar). You can increase the size of the altar with the rune of augmented capacity, but those require a magician's orb (tier 3)

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Ok, let's see if I can help clear up some of your questions @keybounce . First, activating rituals pulls LP from your network, meaning the better the orb, the more LP you can draw for rituals between refills. Now, going from tier 2 to 3 orbs requires the 40k. This 40k LP is NOT taken from your network, but rather your altar. So in order to keep up with this, you will need either a bunch of runes for sacrifice, or some sort of method to heal.

Edit: Damn, Ninja'd in my own thread. :(

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
OK, so my next question: Can you go through and clarify what is taken from the network, and what is taken from the altar?

And ... you can improve the altar once you are level three?
And ... you can build a level 3 altar before you've made that orb ...

So ... I can make a level 2 altar, a level 2 orb, all from the altar storage. I can then make a level 3 altar, and with that make runes to upgrade my altar's storage, right?

And, once I have a level 3 altar, I can turn my mob farm into an LP source for the altar.

Am I understanding this correctly? That making the L3 orb pretty much is the "Get it all running" point?

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a maximum range on the well of suffering for it to do anything? I built one about 10 or 12 blocks beneath my altar with a mob farm in between, and it doesn't seem to damage any of the entities, including a highly-trained test pig I placed right on top of the master ritual stone.

Last edited:

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
OK, so my next question: Can you go through and clarify what is taken from the network, and what is taken from the altar?

And ... you can improve the altar once you are level three?
And ... you can build a level 3 altar before you've made that orb ...

So ... I can make a level 2 altar, a level 2 orb, all from the altar storage. I can then make a level 3 altar, and with that make runes to upgrade my altar's storage, right?

And, once I have a level 3 altar, I can turn my mob farm into an LP source for the altar.

Am I understanding this correctly? That making the L3 orb pretty much is the "Get it all running" point?
The only things that take LP from the altar are when you craft something in it, so the slates, orbs, filled sockets and sacrifice dagger. When you do stuff outside the altar like the rituals that takes LP out of the network which is charged mainly by having an orb absorb LP from an altar.
The altar can be improved to level 5 which involves beacons on the corners.
You do not necessarily need to craft the orbs to upgrade an altar, you only need runes to upgrade it. You can use any rune to do so but they need to be arranged in a particular shape. The better runes require different orbs to craft.
Yes, make level 2 altar, craft apprentice orb(L2) then make good runes like sacrifice or self-sacrifice and upgrade the altar, then you can make the magician's or (L3). With that you can increase the altar's capacity but it is not necessary if you can manage to keep it full for transmutations (altar crafting) You do not need to have the full LP cost of an item in the altar to begin the process, the transmutation just takes a certain amount out over time to do the crafting.

You can make a mob farm into an LP source with a L2 altar, just make a dagger of sacrifice and contain your mobs near the altar. I have a couple of which spawners above my altar, witches drop down into a holding pen near the altar and are sacrificed when needed.

Is there a maximum range on the well of suffering for it to do anything? I built one about 10 or 12 blocks beneath my altar with a mob farm in between, and it doesn't seem to damage any of the entities, including a pig I placed right on top of the master ritual stone.

I think 10-12 is a bit far, most of the videos I have seen on the well of suffering had it basically directly under the altar, there is room down there for a number of rituals(like feathered knife and regen or containment and suffering).

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@keybounce The altar and your network both store LP. The altar's LP storage is used for things such as slate creation, while the network is used for things like running Lava Crystals or rituals.

The altar has a (current) max tier of 5, so at every level below that you can continue upgrading it. Technically, you should be able to upgrade the altar before you make the T2 orb, as I haven't seen anything to the contrary. I would recommend creating the orb before you upgrade, however.

And yes, it appears you are understanding this correctly. The T3 altar and orb are the point that, IMO, the mod truly takes off with the number of possibilities available to you.

@CodaPDX Yes there is a maximum range, however I cannot remember it currently. I would recommend putting the Master Ritual Stone about 5 below your altar to ensure it's within range. I can try to hop on and run some tests real fast if you'd like to be 100% confident on the distances.

Edit: Ninja'd again. @hiroshi42 You're quite good at that. :)

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
@keybounce The altar and your network both store LP. The altar's LP storage is used for things such as slate creation, while the network is used for things like running Lava Crystals or rituals.

The altar has a (current) max tier of 5, so at every level below that you can continue upgrading it. Technically, you should be able to upgrade the altar before you make the T2 orb, as I haven't seen anything to the contrary. I would recommend creating the orb before you upgrade, however.

And yes, it appears you are understanding this correctly. The T3 altar and orb are the point that, IMO, the mod truly takes off with the number of possibilities available to you.

@CodaPDX Yes there is a maximum range, however I cannot remember it currently. I would recommend putting the Master Ritual Stone about 5 below your altar to ensure it's within range. I can try to hop on and run some tests real fast if you'd like to be 100% confident on the distances.

Edit: Ninja'd again. @hiroshi42 You're quite good at that. :)

Will the Well of Suffering work on entities beneath it?

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Do the animals have to be on the Ritual of (Making Animals Grow Fast) or can they be around / beneath it? Trying to get animals to grow faster to be sacrificed faster. :\

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, I just came to an epiphany. Rather than using a Ritual of Regeneration can't you just use a beacon? While it means killing a wither, you can easily get Regen II to prolong your cow's misery or even keep them infinitely alive to be tortured without using more of your personal blood supply.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Wait, I just came to an epiphany. Rather than using a Ritual of Regeneration can't you just use a beacon? While it means killing a wither, you can easily get Regen II to prolong your cow's misery or even keep them infinitely alive to be tortured without using more of your personal blood supply.

Personally, I have no experience with beacons as I can't stand them, but I'm going off of this to say it won't work. Although you saw that already. ;)

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
I just made my first set of blood armor, and the haste rune doesn't seem to be, well, hasting me. I've got a haste rune, a master blood orb, and a weak blood shard in my leggings, and the Boost II buff shows up, but I move vanilla-slow. Any idea what's going on here? I'm playing on TPPI v 0.2.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I just made my first set of blood armor, and the haste rune doesn't seem to be, well, hasting me. I've got a haste rune, a master blood orb, and a weak blood shard in my leggings, and the Boost II buff shows up, but I move vanilla-slow. Any idea what's going on here? I'm playing on TPPI v 0.2.

Can you step up one block high inclines? I noticed in my testing that the haste sigil didn't appear to make me faster, but I was able to go up one block inclines.

iiowyn

Jul 29, 2019
Can you step up one block high inclines? I noticed in my testing that the haste sigil didn't appear to make me faster, but I was able to go up one block inclines.
I have noticed that whenever I switch dimensions I need to sprint to reactivate the movement speed boost.

Also a suggestion for the guide is a list of what the sigils do when put into the blood armor.

Finally, server consensus says Sigil of Air is the most fun thing in minecraft right now.