Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I've been looking for a way to automate sacrificing. I've found the self-sacrifice rituals, but is there a way to sacrifice mobs through automation? I've tried Autonomous Activators, but they don't work.

Yep. Use a Well of Suffering combined with some sacrifice runes on your altar. The Well of Suffering will give you LP for each mob it kills, and the sacrifice runes will greatly boost that. As a warning though, it does require a tier 4 altar to make, as you need Dusk Runes. And if you want to be fancy about it, you can combine it with a Ritual of Containment.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Padfoote - you rock !!! I'm old school and prefer text-based guides like to YouTube video guides.

This is - hands down - one of the best text-based guides of any game I've had the pleasure of reading.

Practically speaking, I hadn't gotten into Blood Magic yet specifically because I hadn't set aside the time to watch a YouTube on it. This guide is perfect and will get me going.

Many, many, many thanks !

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Could you do something on the Tier 5 altar? I've been trying desperately to get it to work but my divination sigil still says Tier4. Those beacons weren't cheap...

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

Thanks for the kind words! I wrote this up because I personally learn better from reading, and this is one that I felt needed more guides on.

Could you do something on the Tier 5 altar? I've been trying desperately to get it to work but my divination sigil still says Tier4. Those beacons weren't cheap...

I can try to get something up Friday at the earliest... My schedule is currently a bit of a train wreck, so it might take me longer to do that. I would say check back either Friday or Sunday and there should hopefully be something up. Sorry to keep you waiting on that.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
The extra row for T5 should be three blocks out and one block down from the edge of the T4 altar, 13 runes for each of the four rows. The Beacons should be one block higher than that row, and at the outside corners (i.e. not touching any of the runes).

5YVwVrv.png

wJseSqG.png

pMwEFdx.png

These images show the bare minimum required to make the altar. The empty spaces can be filled in with anything you like, and the smooth stone blocks can also be any material you want them to be (but at least SOME material has to be there in place of the smooth stone).

EDIT: I used the runes of self-sacrifice because it's easier to count blocks with a distinct image on each block... any runes can be used, of course

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@Esheon Thanks for posting those pictures! It was going to be a bit before I could get to it.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
@Esheon Thanks for posting those pictures! It was going to be a bit before I could get to it.
No problem. I've been experimenting in a creative world and I already had that built, so I just logged in and took some pics. Feel free to use them in your guide if you want.

Reactions: Padfoote

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
So I've finally managed to reach the third tier, and was working on rituals, when I think I encountered a bug / problem. I was trying to right click on the ritual of binding's master ritual stone with my weak activation crystal, but nothing happened. Same thing happens with any other ritual. All the ritual stones are in place, so I don't know what went wrong. :\

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
Silly question, but you right clicked the air first to bind the activation crystal to your character, right? Also, it's not that you've got particle effects off (i.e. it's working, and you can't see it)?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

Exactly what Redius said. Make sure you bind the crystal to yourself first, and then try right clicking the ritual stone. I forgot to bind it a few times myself and had the same problem. If it still persists, let me know and I can help you figure out why it isn't working.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Also make sure you have enough LP in your network to activate the ritual, some have quite a (relatively) expensive activation cost
Ah...I see. After sacrificing quite a bit to my Master Blood Orb, I could activate the ritual and see all the pretty particle effects. Thanks to everyone!

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Just put up an update on some more rituals, and sorry for not having a side shot of the new rituals, I hit the image cap already. Also, sorry for it taking so long, I've been trying to hunt down a memory leak that's been preventing me from running Minecraft for any period of time.

Current plan for the next update will be the entry into the tier 5 altar.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Just put up an update on some more rituals, and sorry for not having a side shot of the new rituals, I hit the image cap already. Also, sorry for it taking so long, I've been trying to hunt down a memory leak that's been preventing me from running Minecraft for any period of time.

Current plan for the next update will be the entry into the tier 5 altar.
It's cool. Take your time and sort out any issues. I'm having enough fun with the Blood Magic Armor already. :D I can wait.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So let me see if I understand this, maybe, correctly.

The first altar is cheap. Once made, you can prick yourself for 100 LP per HP, 2 HP per prick. You can put a total of 10,000 (100 HP, 50 hearts) into this. And, there is no choice besides putting your own blood in.

In order to use mobs, you have to go up to level 2 altar, make a dagger of sacrifice, and then either turn your altar from a safe spot to the heart of a mob spawner, or have such a massive animal farm that the time for children to grow up isn't a major limit, neither of which is automateable because you have to score the hit yourself with a bound tool.

Am I on track so far?

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
So let me see if I understand this, maybe, correctly.

The first altar is cheap. Once made, you can prick yourself for 100 LP per HP, 2 HP per prick. You can put a total of 10,000 (100 HP, 50 hearts) into this. And, there is no choice besides putting your own blood in.

In order to use mobs, you have to go up to level 2 altar, make a dagger of sacrifice, and then either turn your altar from a safe spot to the heart of a mob spawner, or have such a massive animal farm that the time for children to grow up isn't a major limit, neither of which is automateable because you have to score the hit yourself with a bound tool.

Am I on track so far?
You don't have to use the heart of a mob spawner, you can direct the mobs through water channels. You can also use the Well of Suffering ritual, which just leeches life from the mobs without you having to hit them. Combine the two and you're automated. Add some Runes of Sacrifice to your altar to make it more efficient.