Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@James_Grimm Thanks for the MF2 tips, I'll definitely be trying it out this week. As for the rituals fitting the altar, it should fit with a bit of careful planning if it fits with a T5, but I honestly can't remember if it does or not. But if it fits with a T5, it'll fit with a T4.

Reactions: James_Grimm

SawBlade

Jul 29, 2019
The ritual of the feathered knife or well of suffering will fit inside the regen ritual. Way made it so they're slotted to fit inside just fine. As for the alter, I build my T5 I believe...two blocks above the master ritual stone of the well of suffering. This ends up putting my altar structure one block above ground while the ritual sits on the ground level.

edit:
I'm actually recording a Let's Play and getting into the BM mod, when I get to setting up that ritual, I'll see if I can post a link to that part of the episode so that it's easy to spot how I'm doing it. Note that I don't use the Regen ritual myself...suffering works well enough on its own :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Is it bad that I just now realized that Blood Magic probably lets you brew a better then vanilla regeneration potion? *facepalm* Now to go and learn BM's alchemy system.

SawBlade

Jul 29, 2019
If it makes you feel any better, the alchemy portion of the mod is my weakness too. I know enough to get the demon summoning components, but that's it. I'll need to invest some time into it myself.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@James_Grimm @SawBlade If it makes you both feel better, I haven't even touched the alchemy portion yet. I know it can do some pretty powerful things (I think it was one of Ako's latest streams where he had a saturation potion that was better than Thaumic Cake), but I haven't found much if any documentation over it so I've been delaying getting into it. If either of you find out some information on it, please post it here. I'd be interested to see what you discover.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, guess what WayofTime apparently added to BloodMagic in the 1.0.0 version?
I'll give you a hint: There was already a tiny bit of this present in 0.7.3c for the Alchemy System...

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Hey, guess what WayofTime apparently added to BloodMagic in the 1.0.0 version?
I'll give you a hint: There was already a tiny bit of this present in 0.7.3c for the Alchemy System...

v1.0.0 added the new spell system, as well as the Ballad of Alchemy. All of which will eventually be added to the wiki when I finish what's there now.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Having just tried it, neither Feathered Knife nor Regeneration Rituals will fit under a T4 Altar. Not without knocking out some of the ground underneath (which is my roof). So I'll report back after I rebuild the Altar into the T5 shape, even tho I won't have the Beacons for a while, the rituals will fit then as I was only 1 block short of space in all 4 directions.

Note to self for next world: build the Altar in the T5 shape from the start, and then just replace blocks to go up the tiers. Much easier then moving everything each time.

Last edited:

SawBlade

Jul 29, 2019
Having just tried it, neither Feathered Knife nor Regeneration Rituals will not fit under a T4 Altar. Not without knocking out some of the ground underneath (which is my roof). So I'll report back after I rebuild the Altar into the T5 shape, even tho I won't have the Beacons for a while, the rituals will fit then as I was only 1 block short of space in all 4 directions.

Note to self for next world: build the Altar in the T5 shape from the start, and then just replace blocks to go up the tiers. Much easier then moving everything each time.

That's exactly the advice I just gave in my videos, it's much much easier to start big and fill in than grow out.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
@James_Grimm @SawBlade Quick question for you two (or anyone else that wants to answer): What version of Blood Magic are you running, and are the Runes of Self-sacrifice actually adding to the amount you get per click with the knife?

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing on a MF2 2.15 Server, so I believe that's Blood Magic .72b

When I was messing around with it last night (just got up to 55 runes, 1 short of full for a T4) I was getting 1300LP per knife click, which matched my math earlier in the thread. So the runes are definitely working with the knife for me, I haven't really tried any of the other methods of getting blood into the altar yet (still have to rebuild the Altar to fit the Rituals, which is my plan for tonight).

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I've been playing on a MF2 2.15 Server, so I believe that's Blood Magic .72b

When I was messing around with it last night (just got up to 55 runes, 1 short of full for a T4) I was getting 1300LP per knife click, which matched my math earlier in the thread. So the runes are definitely working with the knife for me, I haven't really tried any of the other methods of getting blood into the altar yet (still have to rebuild the Altar to fit the Rituals, which is my plan for tonight).

Hmmm, alright. Thanks. I'm on v1.0.0 and I haven't gotten any bonus from using the runes, and I'm trying to see if it's isolated to my install before I say anything to WayofTime about it, since I have a feeling I might have broken something on my end.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
At this point, if the Runes did not work with the knife, I would pretty much be unable to progress any farther in the mod at all. So that sounds like a pretty big bug to me. In fact I doubt you could make the transition to the Rituals auto-filling the Altar stage without Runes working with the knife, because it's either that or set up a really big mob farm of some kind as your only options (and I am pretty sure even that method would need some runes to make it to Tier 3/4).

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm, alright. Thanks. I'm on v1.0.0 and I haven't gotten any bonus from using the runes, and I'm trying to see if it's isolated to my install before I say anything to WayofTime about it, since I have a feeling I might have broken something on my end.
Tested in my test world and it works perfectly. Not sure what your issue is.