Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Technically, you can use LP in your network to power rituals like the feathered knife or the well of suffering to fill your altar with LP.

Reactions: Padfoote

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
If you have Ars Magica installed, grab yourself a healing spell for this one. A healing spell combined with several Self-sacrifice Runes will make the t3 orb go by much faster. That, or a bunch of potions should help.

Anyone have any good suggestions for making the transition to T3 Altar in MF2?

I stored up a Hardened TE Tank full of Life Essence, but I haven't been able to get a fluiduct to pump it back INTO the altar, instead of out. Does it only do that from a certain side? Also I'm worried that it won't pump fast enough for the T3 orb to work (even if it's got 32 of the 40 buckets worth of blood in it). Way did say he messed with it to avoid someone (KirinDave?)'s shenanigans.

Since it's MF2, no Ars Magica, or pretty much any other healing besides vanilla methods. I don't have the ability to brew vanilla Regen potions yet, but I suppose I could make Golden apples (do they last long enough?).

Last edited:

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

I stored up a Hardened TE Tank full of Life Essence, but I haven't been able to get a fluiduct to pump it back INTO the altar, instead of out. Does it only do that from a certain side? Also I'm worried that it won't pump fast enough for the T3 orb to work (even if it's got 32 of the 40 buckets worth of blood in it). Way did say he messed with it to avoid someone (KirinDave?)'s shenanigans.

Since it's MF2, no Ars Magica, or pretty much any other healing besides vanilla methods. I don't have the ability to brew vanilla Regen potions yet, but I suppose I could make Golden apples (do they last long enough?).

I haven't played MF2 so I don't know how to help with that aspect, but I can help with the pumping. Do you mind posting some pictures of your setup that isn't working? I've been able to pump into an altar without too many issues, it's just a slow process without the correct runes.

Birello

Jul 29, 2019

15 villagers
I did with 5 plus regen potion plus some self-sacrifice / sacrifice runes

Or if you play on survival mode regen potion plus ~9 self-sacrifice runes only

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Thought I'd leave this here.
-snip-

I didn't have time to watch it all, but it looks absolutely amazing. Can't wait to mess with that in the future. Also makes more sense to me than the current spell system, but that might just be me failing rather hard.

Last edited:

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
6vZ0Nfm.gif

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
You can thank @KirinDave for this little feature. What you are experiencing is the Blood Altar's input and output buffer, where the output buffer is filling itself with 1k LP. The reason this is there is to limit the amount of LP you can pump out of an altar in a given amount of time, because early on with liquid piping support someone could easily make GIANT tanks of LP with no real investment into the mod. It stops at 1k because it is 10% of the altar's total capacity, and adding in dislocation runes speeds this process up.

Through the life of the altar, you'd be doing a lot of transmutations, so the 1k lost would be a pittance relatively, but is mainly there as a limiter.

I am glad that I can't do what I did anymore. The new system means you want to fill altars at one site then translocate them to other sites for use. This build is so amazingly awesome and mind blowing that it's worth the added complexity.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played MF2 so I don't know how to help with that aspect, but I can help with the pumping. Do you mind posting some pictures of your setup that isn't working? I've been able to pump into an altar without too many issues, it's just a slow process without the correct runes.

I was derping/confused by the lack of blue arrows on the TE ducts when connecting to the altar, but setting them to neutral (no arrow) and having the tank set to output ended up working just fine. I was able to pump into the altar after all, once I changed the arrows. Still haven't tested going to T3 Orb with the tank pumping in blood to help, but I'll let you know when I give it a try.

Thank again for all your help with mod! :)

Reactions: Padfoote

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Yup. Just tried it. Blood flows too slowly to be able to let you make the jump to the T3 Orb, even with 3 fluiduct connections. Which means I need some form of Vanilla regeneration to do it. Off to research!

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
And many multiples of Golden Apples were not able to do it either :(

So I'm guessing the only method is an amped up Regeneration potion? will that even work without Sacrifice runes?
I can't afford the Enderium for runes yet, it's 4 ingots per rune, and I only had enough to make a pair of tesseracts.
Hrm.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
And many multiples of Golden Apples were not able to do it either :(

So I'm guessing the only method is an amped up Regeneration potion? will that even work without Sacrifice runes?
I can't afford the Enderium for runes yet, it's 4 ingots per rune, and I only had enough to make a pair of tesseracts.
Hrm.

It sounds like you'll need a combination of some self-sacrifice runes and some LP being pumped in to keep resource cost down.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I went on a pearl collecting spree. How many Runes should I aim for?

T3 altar has (I think) about 28 runes. I would do about 12-14 as self-sacrifice, and remove any speed runes you have until you finish this craft. Combine that with some LP being pumped in an I think it should work.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
I have enough platinum for 10 runes, I believe, so I'll need to try and get some more TE cinnabar. Not quite enough pearls, but I don't worry about that as much any more. Anyone who is having pearl trouble should enable "Ominous Woods" in their BOP configs. I've had a lot of luck getting pearls in those biomes compared to my last world without it. Still have to go hunt them down, but at least there is endermen to fight.

I'll try the pump again, but it was extremely slow. In the time that the block ate up a full altar, plus 15-18 hearts (golden apples) it only accepted 2 buckets from the fluiducts. But as expensive as the runes are, hopefully they will help.

Edit: Also, I noticed that the knife of sacrifice bypasses the bonus hearts from the apples entirely, it may do so to TCon bonus hearts as well, but I don't have any of those to test.

Last edited:

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Edit: Also, I noticed that the knife of sacrifice bypasses the bonus hearts from the apples entirely, it may do so to TCon bonus hearts as well, but I don't have any of those to test.

If the knife functions like the Ritual of the Feathered Knife it will use the bonus hearts from TiCo before dipping into your main health pool. I didn't know the gold apples gave extra hearts though, I thought it was just regen.

And yeah, it's slow to pump in LP, but it will at least help reduce the total amount of LP that you manually need to put into the altar.

Reactions: James_Grimm

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
If the knife functions like the Ritual of the Feathered Knife it will use the bonus hearts from TiCo before dipping into your main health pool. I didn't know the gold apples gave extra hearts though, I thought it was just regen.

And yeah, it's slow to pump in LP, but it will at least help reduce the total amount of LP that you manually need to put into the altar.
Pretty much it ignores absorption. Too many issues with it.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
If you have Ars Magica installed, grab yourself a healing spell for this one. A healing spell combined with several Self-sacrifice Runes will make the t3 orb go by much faster. That, or a bunch of potions should help.
And then stand next to a light nexus which gives mana regen (when over 10% full), which of course you placed next to your altar.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so I finally successfully made a Tier 3 Orb (Magician). It took 15 Self-Sacrifice runes & 3 Glowstone-enhanced potions of Regeneration, and I still only barely made it (I had 1.5 hearts left).

But yay! The self-sacrifice runes really made a difference, I don't think the potions alone would have been enough at all, considering I was getting 500 LP a stab instead of 200 this time. Collecting all the pearls and cinnabar in order to make them in MF2 was quite a bit of work.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
And then stand next to a light nexus which gives mana regen (when over 10% full), which of course you placed next to your altar.
I feel this needs clarification; all nexi do this. It's not unique to the light altar, but it is easy for people to assume this due to everyone (except me, apparently) only using the light nexus for pretty much anything.
At least that's how it seems and feels around here.

Reactions: loboca