Beginner's Guide to Blood Magic

Tangpau

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to increase the capacity of your blood altar. The capacity of mine is 10K is there anyway to increase this cap?

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
So is there a reason why in some locations my blood altar drains away any blood I put into it?

If I put it against a wall, it holds the blood, but if I move it to the middle of the room, it seems to lose about 20 LP a second until it empties out.
Nothing is inside it in either case.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
So is there a reason why in some locations my blood altar drains away any blood I put into it?

If I put it against a wall, it holds the blood, but if I move it to the middle of the room, it seems to lose about 20 LP a second until it empties out.
Pics or it didn't happen

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

I've had that happen, I honestly thought it was a broken mod interaction in my less than optimal install. So no, I have no idea sadly.

Pics or it didn't happen

It's nearly impossible to get pictures of this, it happens far too fast.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
I've had that happen, I honestly thought it was a broken mod interaction in my less than optimal install. So no, I have no idea sadly.

Did you come up with any work arounds, like filling it when it had work to do? I only just got started, got my first orb & 2 sigils, then I decided to move my altar and this happened :(

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Did you come up with any work arounds, like filling it when it had work to do? I only just got started, got my first orb & 2 sigils, then I decided to move my altar and this happened :(

My fix has been to just keep breaking it and testing, with random world reloads thrown in there to see if that helps. It'll eventually go away, but it is a bit of a pain.

Reactions: James_Grimm

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Will try. Wanted to try a magic mod besides Thaumcraft (which I've already made progress on) and it's already in the MF2 pack. Although a few things have had their cost increased quite a bit *cough sadistic jaded, wants enderium and blood*.

What I've gotten to mess with so far seems neat.

Edit: Huh. I made a new slate in it, and in the process had to keep feeding it and eventually the extra drain just stopped. It's holding blood properly now. Thanks for your help Padfoote!

Editx2: Confimed. Had the same problem when I just upgraded to a Tier 2 Altar. Making a single slate seemed to stop the drain again. And now I've got tier 2, woo! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Will try. Wanted to try a magic mod besides Thaumcraft (which I've already made progress on) and it's already in the MF2 pack. Although a few things have had their cost increased quite a bit *cough sadistic jaded, wants enderium and blood*.

What I've gotten to mess with so far seems neat.

Edit: Huh. I made a new slate in it, and in the process had to keep feeding it and eventually the extra drain just stopped. It's holding blood properly now. Thanks for your help Padfoote!

Editx2: Confimed. Had the same problem when I just upgraded to a Tier 2 Altar. Making a single slate seemed to stop the drain again. And now I've got tier 2, woo! :)

You can thank @KirinDave for this little feature. What you are experiencing is the Blood Altar's input and output buffer, where the output buffer is filling itself with 1k LP. The reason this is there is to limit the amount of LP you can pump out of an altar in a given amount of time, because early on with liquid piping support someone could easily make GIANT tanks of LP with no real investment into the mod. It stops at 1k because it is 10% of the altar's total capacity, and adding in dislocation runes speeds this process up.

Through the life of the altar, you'd be doing a lot of transmutations, so the 1k lost would be a pittance relatively, but is mainly there as a limiter.

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
It was really confusing not knowing what I was doing "wrong". Now I will not fear to move my altar anymore, just know that I need to throw in some extra blood to refill the buffer.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Y'know, somethings dawned on me; it's easy to automate filling a orb just by inserting the orb into a altar and having LP drip into it, but is the reverse possible? Take a orb from a network and use it to fill an altar?
EDIT: Also something in the OP irks me a bit, do T3 altars really only hold 10k LP? That's the same as T2 altars.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Y'know, somethings dawned on me; it's easy to automate filling a orb just by inserting the orb into a altar and having LP drip into it, but is the reverse possible? Take a orb from a network and use it to fill an altar?
EDIT: Also something in the OP irks me a bit, do T3 altars really only hold 10k LP? That's the same as T2 altars.
Runes of Augmented Capacity! They expand the LP limit of the altar.

Reactions: Padfoote

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
All altars contain the same ammount of LP, it's the orbs that progress. As @MoosyDoosy said, the runes of augmented capacity can change that but I have only really found it necessary when manually sacrificing mobs and not having enough mobs spawn while filling things like the armor sockets or when I tried doing a strait self sacrifice run while only using vanilla regen.

Also: as far as I know there is no way to get LP out of an orb, once it is there it's vanished into the aether.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
All altars contain the same ammount of LP, it's the orbs that progress. As @MoosyDoosy said, the runes of augmented capacity can change that but I have only really found it necessary when manually sacrificing mobs and not having enough mobs spawn while filling things like the armor sockets or when I tried doing a strait self sacrifice run while only using vanilla regen.

Also: as far as I know there is no way to get LP out of an orb, once it is there it's vanished into the aether.
Ah, well, shucks. I'm trying to do a self-sacrifice run myself, but I guess it's gonna be really hard.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, well, shucks. I'm trying to do a self-sacrifice run myself, but I guess it's gonna be really hard.
it's not all that bad once you get the feathered knife and regen rituals up and running, it can just be a little slow when doing big ticket items. and of course you have to recharge every once in a while instead of being able to use stuff out in the field with wild abandon

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
it's not all that bad once you get the feathered knife and regen rituals up and running, it can just be a little slow when doing big ticket items. and of course you have to recharge every once in a while instead of being able to use stuff out in the field with wild abandon
Which will be fine once I get past getting my T3 Orb, due to rituals being at T3. But that orb needs 40k LP and if my altar only holds 10k, which is a bit of a bother since it does, then this may take a while.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Which will be fine once I get past getting my T3 Orb, due to rituals being at T3. But that orb needs 40k LP and if my altar only holds 10k, which is a bit of a bother since it does, then this may take a while.

If you have Ars Magica installed, grab yourself a healing spell for this one. A healing spell combined with several Self-sacrifice Runes will make the t3 orb go by much faster. That, or a bunch of potions should help.