Bees what would you say is the must have ones.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
For TC3, Pure and Rejuv are hard to beat
For Nether Quartz, a Mellow Comb-maker like Hermetic or Secluded is nice
The lava-makers are also great as an alternative, renewable energy source

For straight-up honey production, is there a bee better than Cultivated ?[DOUBLEPOST=1379595011][/DOUBLEPOST]
MFR laser drill will pull in nether quartz just to give you another option.

Aye, I like the MFR Laser Drill. Seems more interesting than UU-matter and much more server-friendly than world-strippers. Bees can provide the rest of what I need.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
For TC3, Pure and Rejuv are hard to beat
For Nether Quartz, a Mellow Comb-maker like Hermetic or Secluded is nice
The lava-makers are also great as an alternative, renewable energy source

For straight-up honey production, is there a bee better than Cultivated ?[DOUBLEPOST=1379595011][/DOUBLEPOST]

Aye, I like the MFR Laser Drill. Seems more interesting than UU-matter and much more server-friendly than world-strippers. Bees can provide the rest of what I need.

Ebony bees have highest honey comb chance, plus specialty worth 2 honey combs.

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
For straight-up honey production, is there a bee better than Cultivated ?

Yep. Every bee in the Primary and Secondary (colours) branches has a 75% base chance of producing a Honey Comb as well as a 25% chance of producing a Tinted Comb which has an 80% chance of giving a honey drop. As long as you breed 'slow' or better speed onto them they'll be making more honeycombs than a 'fast' Cultivated bee and the Tinted Combs will just be a bonus. There may be bees better than that, this is just the best I can find by searching bees that make Honey Combs.

MFR laser drill will pull in nether quartz just to give you another option.

Also that's the only way to make Certus Quartz without physically removing ore from the world AFAIK (until the bees come out).

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
The drill is quite good for things that you apply fortune to. My list of it is: Diamonds, Emeralds, Quartz (both kinds), Lapis and Redstone. It's less useful for metals and other types of thing that, when needed, are usually needed in bulk.

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
Theres quantum bees (1.1.4)
I know, those are the ones I'm talking about. They can't be bred yet, or if they can, they require special conditions nobody knows about yet (I couldn't get the Abandoned bee with a Nova Frame, and I also tried breeding in the End).

Edit: I mean Abnormal (I think. Whichever one you need to get Spatial which you need to get Quantum).

sefz

May 8, 2013
I know, those are the ones I'm talking about. They can't be bred yet, or if they can, they require special conditions nobody knows about yet (I couldn't get the Abandoned bee with a Nova Frame, and I also tried breeding in the End).
I assure you Quantum Bees can be bred. Might have to update Extra/Magic Bees (not sure which adds them).

Reactions: Riuga

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
I assure you Quantum Bees can be bred. Might have to update Extra/Magic Bees (not sure which adds them).
Hmm, I just tried it again and got a part Abnormal bee. I thought Nova Frames were supposed to guarantee mutations as well as reducing lifespan to one tick but I guess not.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
If you run a forestry orchard, the Fruity bee is nice. It's ripening effect "bone meals" leaf blocks. It also gives fruit juice, which is a nice boost to biomass production if you don't already have a good setup for producing fruit juice.

With GT, the metal bees are nice, but not really needed, but emerald and valuable bees are awesome. Getting the gold, silver and valuable bees are kinda a pain though with only a 2% chance. I must have tried a couple dozen matings before I got the valuable bee.

The fiendish bee has the highest output for simmering combs. I've bred long life and fast worker into mine, and one generation produced about 50 combs. (100 buckets of lava using sand). Fiendish also produces ash that you can pair with apatite to stretch your fertilizer production. I've got so much phosphor now, I'm probably going to start recycling or voiding it. (FYI-I only run my bee room off lava. my main base runs off a tree farm)

Reactions: MigukNamja

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Starting out tip: Most people aim for Imperials (Royal Jelly), Industrials (Pollen) and forget about beeswax and honey, a top tip when starting out is to go for the Saffron bee, it not only gives lots of combs for beeswax (75% chance of comb) but also gives the tinted comb which when centrifuged gives you a chance at DOUBLE Honey drops and beeswax and also Tinted Honey. Makes for easy(ier) Alveary production as tinted honey gives .200 honey compared to the Honey drop (.100) and HoneyDew (.100).

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Btw, a new version of binnie's mods have recently been released for both 1.5.2 and 1.6

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
Starting out tip: Most people aim for Imperials (Royal Jelly), Industrials (Pollen) and forget about beeswax and honey, a top tip when starting out is to go for the Saffron bee, it not only gives lots of combs for beeswax (75% chance of comb) but also gives the tinted comb which when centrifuged gives you a chance at DOUBLE Honey drops and beeswax and also Tinted Honey. Makes for easy(ier) Alveary production as tinted honey gives .200 honey compared to the Honey drop (.100) and HoneyDew (.100).

Interesting. I usually just put down more apiaries when I need more honey. It's easier to slap a few stacks of cultivated drones in a bunch of apiaries with random hive princesses than trying to breed a new species. I might try it once I get my Mutator2000 up and running again (almost have enough scented paneling).

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I have only barely started my Bee Keeping in many worlds I've done, but here's my advice on Bees you really should get, and why.
Modest. Might not seem like much, but Modest Bees are able to work at night, all day, and through any kind of weather. They are a great bee to have for getting those traits later.

Wintery. Again, might not make much sense, but Wintery bees start with a fertility trait of 4, AKA the max. I can not understate how useful this is for selective breeding, as each extra drone means you have more options for your next queen.

Watery. They have lilypads as their flowers. Need I say any more?

Pretty much any starter Magic Bee. You don't have to think end game with these at first, they can all output Magic Wax, which aside from being able to be made into Magic Wax Capsules(which hold 2 buckets worth of stuff IIRC, maybe 4), can also be made into glass phials for TC, both as a H.E. recipe using glass panes or simply without them.

Down the road, you'll want two very fancy bees from Magic Bees IMO. Withering Bees and (IIRC) Draconic Bees. Withering Bees slowly output stuff used to make Wither Skulls as a Specialty. Draconic Bees slowly output stuff used to make Dragon Eggs(but you'll need a Essence of False Life to finish the egg), again, as a specialty. Combined they can make most of what you need to make Oblivion Frames, which are essential IMO for bee breeding.

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
any of you guys know how to "activate" the gregtech bees? i added GT to my unleashed world but i see no ruby. titanium, ecc ecc bees

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

Guilty as charged. But, before I have enough pollen and royal jelly to build my first Alveary, I've already gotten enough honey from apiary spam using vanilla bees.

Definitely not elegant, but effective.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Which bee do you need to get fastest productivity. I heard that you can't get that via random mutation on most species.