Bee Breeding Wiki

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pied_Piper_11

Jul 29, 2019
THAT is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks very much. Now it is much more sortable.

BTW are there only 4 bees that can't bee bread at this time? (Jaded, Tipsy, Merry, & Leporine) The last 3 have date restrictions.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
What do you do when your world has 1 jungle biome and you wish to make backpacks. =( I harvested the hell out of this mini forest and unless I head like 20 biomes out I dont have any new forests. Its jungle surrounded by 3 different redwoods, a taiga, wasteland, 2 deserts, desert mountain, a glacier, another redwood. Oh and 500000 different rivers.

Im at a loss. =(

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
BTW are there only 4 bees that can't bee bread at this time? (Jaded, Tipsy, Merry, & Leporine) The last 3 have date restrictions.
Correct.
What do you do when your world has 1 jungle biome and you wish to make backpacks. =( I harvested the hell out of this mini forest and unless I head like 20 biomes out I dont have any new forests. Its jungle surrounded by 3 different redwoods, a taiga, wasteland, 2 deserts, desert mountain, a glacier, another redwood. Oh and 500000 different rivers.

Im at a loss. =(
I think Leporine Bee (can only be bred around Easter) and Gossamer Bee are the only bees without a need for a Tropical Bee in the line of parents, which can produce Silky Combs. So go for Gossamer Bee. (And then further refine to Wispy Bee for higher output of Silky Wisps.)

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Correct.

I think Leporine Bee (can only be bred around Easter) and Gossamer Bee are the only bees without a need for a Tropical Bee in the line of parents, which can produce Silky Combs. So go for Gossamer Bee. (And then further refine to Wispy Bee for higher output of Silky Wisps.)

Holy crap. Getting to Gossamer is so far down the line. I need to figure out how all this breeding stuff works I see. Then head into the nether and get some bees, find imperial bees, etc and get to breeding. Oo;

That said. Easter? Waning moons? Minecraft has these? My god, I learn new crap everyday.

shockwave95

Jul 29, 2019
COULD YOU ADD LINKS ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE MAIN PAGE FOR BEES AND COMB

PS. MY PHONE WONT GO OFF CAPS LOCK

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019

Im at a loss. =(
Make sure the biome is "jungle". I don't think they appear in any other biome, such as "extreme jungle".

Failing that, head off to the Twilight Forest and find yourself an underground minotaur maze (crafting a magic map makes them easier to locate; obsidian pillars indicate the crows needed to make the maps are nearby). You'll want to be equipped to fight, but you need only stay long enough to find a "magic map focus", which you should use to craft an "uncrafting table".

Put wool in the table, it gives you string. Put sting in the table, it gives you silk wisps. Costs XP with each uncraft.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Mil, does that contain all +200 bees?
How did you quickly cobble all that together, if it does?
I love you.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
That said. Easter? Waning moons? Minecraft has these? My god, I learn new crap everyday.
Easter: Hard coded by Sengir to a specific time. It just checks the current real world date and compares it with the constraints for the mutation.
COULD YOU ADD LINKS ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE MAIN PAGE FOR BEES AND COMB
Updated. Is this what you wanted?
Mil, does that contain all +200 bees?
How did you quickly cobble all that together, if it does?
It contains all 184 Bees (remember, that this page is still on 1.4.7) minus the hive bees, since they aren't a target of mutation.
And for the how: This is the magic of the DPL(tp) extension. As soon as I add new bees on the page, that list will automatically update. Ehhhm.. almost true, since it is allowed to use a cached list, so the update could maybe take a while to filter through. If you look at the source of the page, you see only the call to that extension.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
Iv'e not read the past 4 pages so sorry if it's been asked before....
I am making a new 1.4.7 world with a few biomes from Biomes o plenty. I can't seem to find any info regarding temp' and hunidity in these biomes.

If anyone has any info or can point me in the right direction for info regarding Bees and Biomes o plenty in 1.4.7 I would be very gratefull.
thanks.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
In case you don't find infos, an apiary is the best way of knowing what a biome temp/humidity are.

Just put it anywhere on the biome, and open the GUI, it will say it in the temp/humid panel on the right.

Esperologist

Jul 29, 2019
I think time reference is pretty good too, so you can estimate how many frame housings are needed for bees to reach the maximum productivity. From what I tested, you need 9 frame housings to reach the maximum productivity of valuable bee (which is the slowest bee with 2.5 hours/ platinum comb), ruby bee needs 5 (50 min/specialty), industrial/imperial need 4 (5 min/specialty) etc.
I prefer the percentages for this reason:
Untreated/Impregnated/Proven Frame are rated as 200% production rate. Which means it doubles production rate (*2).
Since it is multiplicative when multiple frames are added, that means with three frames it is doubled, doubled again and doubled again.
So, Valuable Bee has 1% chance of producing a platinum comb. And alveary naturally is slightly better then an apiary with 3 frames... so just in an alveary, that means (1*2*2*2) about 6% chance.
Keeping mathing up to find the extra frames needed to achieve it:
*2 = 12% (1 frame in alveary)
*2 = 24% (2)
*2 = 48% (3)
*2 = 96% (4)
So, 5 are needed... but, that assumes only Normal speed for production rate.
On Fastest (170%) that would actually come out to 1.7% chance at a platinum comb... *2*2*2 = 13.6% in alveary.
*2*2*2 = 108.8%... so it then only takes 3 frames in an alveary to max out the platinum comb to occur every life tick of the bee.
Valuable is naturally slowest speed, modifying to 30%. That means a natural Valuable be only has 0.3% chance of a platinum comb, giving it 2.4% in alveary. It needs 6 frames to get over 100%

Does the 9 frames take into account the alveary bonus? I'd like to actually know the exact % the alveary gives, like the frames information.
I'd like to know how your calculations work... since I couldn't figure out how to use them as time values. Think of me as Jhonny 5... input.

So long as the wiki is accurate, this will work.
I won't say that I tested it... but I will soon be testing when I get my Refined Bee producing for combustion engines. I should only need the alveary to max out oil comb production... and one frame to max out the petroleum... that doesn't sound right, guess I'll find out when I get it done. I'm currently trying to get enough drones to get a serum to make a custom princess/drone pairing. My lack of power is what is holding me back... got a Fossiled Bee to get more wind mills while I'm at it.

I will say, thanks to the wiki that my mutation rate is now at 100%... when I pay attention. A combo of soul frames and uranium is giving me perfect results... when I keep an eye on the queen and put her in right before she pops. Soul frames get used a lot slower if only put in for the last couple ticks of life... since they lose durability every life tick... I wasted a few because they wore out before the queen did.
For example: Longest life is 70, Soul Frame durability is 80.
Shortest life is 10, meaning you can mutate 8 bees before wearing out the frames... or, move the queen over to the frames on her last tick or two and get 40-60 uses from the frames.
I hear rumors that putting the frames in with a queen in progress can cause issues, but after putting the frames in, just pick the queen up and put her back to solve. I pick her up while I load in the frames are uranium, just to be safe. (I wait until then to load the uranium, just in case I forget and she pops without the frames... then I don't waste uranium.)
Yes, I know I could use machines and fully automate it... but aside from the power issues (and my lack of power), there is also the using up supplies and I would rather be building then resource gathering... besides, why build an automated system for something that I don't do a lot of... now drone multiplication and comb production, those I automate.

------- On another note:

MilConDoin... face melty (LFG)

Okay, you have bees, combs, mutations and products on the left menu bar there.
I suggest adding links to these:
Frames (you already have the page, just link to it)
Machines (a list of machines from all three packs, much like the frames list)

If there are any other lists you have hidden (not directly accessible from a particular bee entry), might want to consider linking to that as well... if it is useful.
I mean... the list of temperatures is accessible from any bee entry, so not needed on the left.
A list of descriptions would not be helpful, so not worth linking on the left, but could be worth linking on a 'misc lists' page... o.0
A list of bee branches (families) [frozen,secondary,agricultural,etc] could be useful... might be worth linking on the side.
Of course, if the mutations list was sorted by branches (bees of a branch in sequence) then a list of branches wouldn't be needed since it would be incorporated into the mutations list. Either method works for me.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Untreated/Impregnated/Proven Frame are rated as 200% production rate. Which means it doubles production rate (*2).
Since it is multiplicative when multiple frames are added, that means with three frames it is doubled, doubled again and doubled again.
So, Valuable Bee has 1% chance of producing a platinum comb. And alveary naturally is slightly better then an apiary with 3 frames... so just in an alveary, that means (1*2*2*2) about 6% chance.
<snip>

As far as I know, the 1% is the base chance for the bee.
An apiary just has a multiplier of 0.1 on that, and an alviary has a multiplier of 1.

If I am correct, then your calculation is flawed from the very base. Meaning you need to add 3 frame housing to what you calculated.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Keeping mathing up to find the extra frames needed to achieve it:
*2 = 12% (1 frame in alveary)
*2 = 24% (2)
*2 = 48% (3)
*2 = 96% (4)
So, 5 are needed... but, that assumes only Normal speed for production rate.
On Fastest (170%) that would actually come out to 1.7% chance at a platinum comb... *2*2*2 = 13.6% in alveary.
*2*2*2 = 108.8%... so it then only takes 3 frames in an alveary to max out the platinum comb to occur every life tick of the bee.
Valuable is naturally slowest speed, modifying to 30%. That means a natural Valuable be only has 0.3% chance of a platinum comb, giving it 2.4% in alveary. It needs 6 frames to get over 100%

Does the 9 frames take into account the alveary bonus? I'd like to actually know the exact % the alveary gives, like the frames information.
I'd like to know how your calculations work... since I couldn't figure out how to use them as time values. Think of me as Jhonny 5... input.

So long as the wiki is accurate, this will work.
I won't say that I tested it... but I will soon be testing when I get my Refined Bee producing for combustion engines. I should only need the alveary to max out oil comb production... and one frame to max out the petroleum... that doesn't sound right, guess I'll find out when I get it done. I'm currently trying to get enough drones to get a serum to make a custom princess/drone pairing. My lack of power is what is holding me back... got a Fossiled Bee to get more wind mills while I'm at it.
Valuable Bee has a base chance of 1%. If that bee is fastest, it will need ceil(lb(100/1*1.7))=6 frames for one comb/bee tick. (ceil = round up, lb = logarithm base 2)
Or the other way around: final chance = min(100%,base chance * housing modifier * bee speed), where housing modifier is the base modifier of the housing (alveary = 1, apiary = 0.1) multiplied with the boni of the frames. With 6 frames: final chance = min(100%, 1% * 1 * 2^6 * 1.7) = min(100%, 108.8%) = 100%. With 5 frames you'd get 54.4%.
Now if we assume a slowest speed, we'd need ceil(lb(100/1*0.3))=9 frames for max production.
A fastest bee in a 3 framed apiary would produce with a min(100%,1% * 0.1 * 2^3 * 0.3) = min(100%, 0.24%) = 0.24% chance.

I will say, thanks to the wiki that my mutation rate is now at 100%... when I pay attention. A combo of soul frames and uranium is giving me perfect results... when I keep an eye on the queen and put her in right before she pops. Soul frames get used a lot slower if only put in for the last couple ticks of life... since they lose durability every life tick... I wasted a few because they wore out before the queen did.
For example: Longest life is 70, Soul Frame durability is 80.
Shortest life is 10, meaning you can mutate 8 bees before wearing out the frames... or, move the queen over to the frames on her last tick or two and get 40-60 uses from the frames.
I hear rumors that putting the frames in with a queen in progress can cause issues, but after putting the frames in, just pick the queen up and put her back to solve. I pick her up while I load in the frames are uranium, just to be safe. (I wait until then to load the uranium, just in case I forget and she pops without the frames... then I don't waste uranium.)
Yes, I know I could use machines and fully automate it... but aside from the power issues (and my lack of power), there is also the using up supplies and I would rather be building then resource gathering... besides, why build an automated system for something that I don't do a lot of... now drone multiplication and comb production, those I automate.
About the frames: Each bee tick will reduce the durability of the frames by 1. Since 3 Soul Frames reduce the lifetime by a factor of ~2.37, each bee tick will age the queen for 2-3, instead of the normal 1, so your Soul Frames (if used permanently) should be enough for ~19 bees with shortest life.

------- On another note:

MilConDoin... face melty (LFG)

Okay, you have bees, combs, mutations and products on the left menu bar there.
I suggest adding links to these:
Frames (you already have the page, just link to it)
Machines (a list of machines from all three packs, much like the frames list)

If there are any other lists you have hidden (not directly accessible from a particular bee entry), might want to consider linking to that as well... if it is useful.
I mean... the list of temperatures is accessible from any bee entry, so not needed on the left.
A list of descriptions would not be helpful, so not worth linking on the left, but could be worth linking on a 'misc lists' page... o.0
A list of bee branches (families) [frozen,secondary,agricultural,etc] could be useful... might be worth linking on the side.
Of course, if the mutations list was sorted by branches (bees of a branch in sequence) then a list of branches wouldn't be needed since it would be incorporated into the mutations list. Either method works for me.
Frames list will be added, machine list would need to be written, maybe later. About the branches: I'll try adding these to the mutations list, if not, the list of branches will be added to the left. Thanks for the input.

Esperologist

Jul 29, 2019
Valuable Bee has a base chance of 1%. If that bee is fastest, it will need ceil(lb(100/1*1.7))=6 frames for one comb/bee tick. (ceil = round up, lb = logarithm base 2)
Or the other way around: final chance = min(100%,base chance * housing modifier * bee speed), where housing modifier is the base modifier of the housing (alveary = 1, apiary = 0.1) multiplied with the boni of the frames. With 6 frames: final chance = min(100%, 1% * 1 * 2^6 * 1.7) = min(100%, 108.8%) = 100%. With 5 frames you'd get 54.4%.
Now if we assume a slowest speed, we'd need ceil(lb(100/1*0.3))=9 frames for max production.
A fastest bee in a 3 framed apiary would produce with a min(100%,1% * 0.1 * 2^3 * 0.3) = min(100%, 0.24%) = 0.24% chance.

About the frames: Each bee tick will reduce the durability of the frames by 1. Since 3 Soul Frames reduce the lifetime by a factor of ~2.37, each bee tick will age the queen for 2-3, instead of the normal 1, so your Soul Frames (if used permanently) should be enough for ~19 bees with shortest life.

Frames list will be added, machine list would need to be written, maybe later. About the branches: I'll try adding these to the mutations list, if not, the list of branches will be added to the left. Thanks for the input.

Okay, I didn't find anything, anywhere, saying that apiary is a 0.1 modifier (10%) or that alveary is a 1.0 modifier (100%)... all I had to go on was things like, "The output of an alveary is higher than the output of a triple frame apiary." (the Forestry section, listing some alveary info)
I will adjust my calculations accordingly... not in the post, just for my usage. I like to let people see my errors, so they can learn from them if they want to.

Oops, I forgot about the lifespan reduction of the soul frames... still, I go through a lot less of them by keeping an eye on my bees. That roughly 19 can be 40-80 of any lifespan.
Just a preference thing... I'm a bit stingy on using resources up. Bonus, I get a little extra production chance out of 'last minute' frame applications... negligible, but still there.

Thank you for helping out my math... might want to list the modifier information on the wiki somewhere.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
http://mc.nessirojgaming.eu/bees/index.php?title=Effect

Is it my browser or does that page end at "darkness effect" ? Where is the list of effects for all the others? o_O

Also, on this page :

http://mc.nessirojgaming.eu/bees/index.php?title=User:MilConDoin/production2

It doesn't say what any of them do. Some of them are obvious, such as the lapiz combs, but what the heck does a kelvin drop do (from glacial comb) and crystalline pollen? When you click on the pages it only tells you what bee they come from and not what they do/are used for. :confused:

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, the page ends after describing the "darkness" effect.

The kelvin drop can be squeezed to produce liquid nitrogen, but I've no idea what that's any good for.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry about the sudden ending of the list. I started it a while ago and simply forgot to add to it.

<Edit>Fixed, list is now complete.</Edit>

About not being able to click any further: It's a daunting task to list everything you can do with these products. So I opted to let the user use the U-function in NEI to search for the uses for these products.

Reactions: baw179

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
The beealyser has nothing to say about base chances for each resource; it only lists their overall production speed modifier.