Barrels: JABBA vs. Factorization

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'd say Jabba is superior in all aspects. You can upgrade Jabba barrels to make them hopping.
Also: you can pipe items in and out from every side of a Jabba barrel, but with FZ barrels you need to pipe into the top and pull from the bottom IIRC.

Don't forget that JABBA has an easily acquired means to transport fully loaded barrels (the dolly) and while labelled by default on one side can be optionally labelled on the others as well.

Reactions: YX33A

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
I just realized that I forgot THREE edited extremely important points:
1) you can lock JABBA barrels to one item, which saves a lot of trouble with precise piping systems. Even if you aren't using pipes, seeing you have 0 of something feels a lot more organized than having empty holes in your barrel wall.
2) dollies. How could anyone live without them? No, portal/gravi guns are not an alternative, I don't like accidentally shooting my chests miles away or replacing blocks with them.
3) you can double-right click them while holding any item, and they will store any of the same item in them no matter what's in your inventory. That's amazing.
Factorization- because you can only pull from the top/bottom. Having a few rules like that leads to more creative designs.
More content/function does not equal a better game.
I don't see how being forced to be creative is a good thing, I'd rather have freedom in what I can do. Plus, 1.6 FZ barrels can be rotated and accept inputs from behind, so it's not like you need that much "creativity".
I wonder why no one here even mentions the Barrel Mod...
It's basically FZ barrels as a standalone mod with this strange rendering for blocks, so I don't think there's much to talk about it.
By the way, why would you dislike upgradeable barrels? That 1024 stacks upgrade for old Factorization barrels was amazingly useful, but sadly it didn't survive the major barrel nerf of 1.6.

Last edited:
Reactions: YX33A

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Other mods also add this functionality.

I'm curious... The only ways I'm familiar with to move full barrels, or other chests for that matter, are portal/gravity guns and that MFFR transporter. Oh, and that method in the Quantum Physics mod. All far more expensive than 5 iron ingots and a wood plank.

Please let me know... I have barrels in packs without JABBA that I need to move.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see how being forced to be creative is a good thing, I'd rather have freedom in what I can do. Plus, 1.6 FZ barrels can be rotated and accept inputs from behind, so it's not like you need that much "creativity".
The entire point of MC is to be creative.
By the way, why would you dislike upgradeable barrels? That 1024 stacks upgrade for old Factorization barrels was amazingly useful, but sadly it didn't survive the major barrel nerf of 1.6.
I don't... I just don't like the JABBA system.[DOUBLEPOST=1402848232][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm curious... The only ways I'm familiar with to move full barrels, or other chests for that matter, are portal/gravity guns and that MFFR transporter. Oh, and that method in the Quantum Physics mod. All far more expensive than 5 iron ingots and a wood plank.

Please let me know... I have barrels in packs without JABBA that I need to move.
DartCraft's Force Wrench, Blood Magic Transposers, Better Dungeons capsules, MFFS, and qCraft

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I also dislike the idea to upgrade a barrel so I can upgrade it.
But still: Jabba is about 20% cooler.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I'm creating a modpack, and I'd really like to know people's opinions on which one is superior.

For example, I don't think JABBA has hopping barrels.
However, Factorization does not have the -fork.

So, what's your opinion?

Almost* everyone is completely ignoring "The Barrels Mod", which, in its pure simplicity, beats both JABBA and factorization barrels hands-down.

It does barrels and upgraded barrels.
And the basic recipe is cheap, and the upgrades are costly, but a lot less fidfly that the jabba barrels ridiculous recursive put-more-barrels-into-the-same-block-to-store-more mechanisim.

--
Edit: * Some people did mention it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SatanicSanta

Broomstone

Jul 29, 2019

I would also like to add that FZ item routers provide a neat way of eliminating most, if not all, needed pipes/ducts in a lot of situations.

I think he removed then in the 1.7 update.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Right now there is an exploit because some modders use the ore dictionary to simplify things like what can be used in a certain recipe so you may find exploits with glass, plants, wood and a lot more.

Reactions: immibis

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Wait, factorization is still a thing? Wow.

Personally, I'd go for JABBA because using FZ for barrels means actually installing FZ, which is something I prefer to not do. With JABBA, I see zero uses for anything in FZ that is not done better and more efficiently with another mod.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, factorization is still a thing? Wow.

Personally, I'd go for JABBA because using FZ for barrels means actually installing FZ, which is something I prefer to not do. With JABBA, I see zero uses for anything in FZ that is not done better and more efficiently with another mod.
As much as I dislike FZ, the opening of his post is a bit harsh.