Azanor presents Thaumcraft 4.1 Research

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I'm not liking what I'm hearing about changes to the way essentia tubes will work. I'm already living with having to close a valve on my thaumic restorer in order to refill the warded jars of instrumentum I use as a resuvoir, but having to use valves with all the labeled warded jars? That sounds more like a bug than a fair balance to me.

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not liking what I'm hearing about changes to the way essentia tubes will work. I'm already living with having to close a valve on my thaumic restorer in order to refill the warded jars of instrumentum I use as a resuvoir, but having to use valves with all the labeled warded jars? That sounds more like a bug than a fair balance to me.
I agree. I may either not upgrade or just stop using the mod. Its honestly approaching GT levels of tedium to get access to the goodies.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I agree. I may either not upgrade or just stop using the mod. Its honestly approaching GT levels of tedium to get access to the goodies.
Use an alchemy golem and problem solved? Easier than pipes.

Hell, with all the positive changes he has just made to research, making it a whole lot less tedious and even providing an easy mode for those who don't want to play the mini-game, he has gone a long way to making things a lot more accessible.

As for the pipes, I do believe that was, ay least, partly because those things caused an inordinate amount of tick lag on a server.

Reactions: James_Grimm

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
I also got the impression that the pipes changes are motivated from Lag reports on the forgecraft servers then anything else. All his other changes look geared towards reducing tedium and making things more fun & automated-capable. I'm interested to learn more about the runic armor he's adding as well, it looks like a mid-tier step between enchanted thaumium armor and the KAMI stuff.

Edit: Also a number of the thaumcraft addon-mods are adding larger capacity jars or essentia transport systems as well, so there are more options then just pipes. Also Azanor is adding Essentia mirrors, so you may not even need to use pipes for some setups. I saw in Dire's server video that they are using mirrors instead of pipes for most things.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
awesome, I'm gonna be turning it to easy mode in the configs so I can play with TC again, haaaate the current version

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Use an alchemy golem and problem solved? Easier than pipes.

Hell, with all the positive changes he has just made to research, making it a whole lot less tedious and even providing an easy mode for those who don't want to play the mini-game, he has gone a long way to making things a lot more accessible.

As for the pipes, I do believe that was, ay least, partly because those things caused an inordinate amount of tick lag on a server.
I look forward to the release then because my info sources are obviously lacking ;)

Any improvements are worth it. As it stands TC4 has me burned out from the research alone

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Not exactly sure where that's coming from, since I've never seen the pipes do basically anything to tickrates.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Not exactly sure where that's coming from, since I've never seen the pipes do basically anything to tickrates.
Fairly well known topic discussed thoroughly on the TC4 thread on MCF. If you have a really large pipe system (100+ jars) the tick rate takes a nose dive. You shouldn't need a system that large, but some people like to stockpile essentia, and enough people complained to Azanor that it became a real issue.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Fairly well known topic discussed thoroughly on the TC4 thread on MCF. If you have a really large pipe system (100+ jars) the tick rate takes a nose dive. You shouldn't need a system that large, but some people like to stockpile essentia, and enough people complained to Azanor that it became a real issue.
100+ Jars is just two per essentia type, I've got a system like that set up; one normal, and one void jar per type.

I know you don't need every type of essentia, but that's a future proof system just in case you do later.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
I don't think it is unreasonable to expect people to build set-ups to handle 50+ variations of a resource if you create a mod that provides 50+ variations of a resource. If the necessary variants are tied to an excess of superfluous variants, then you have to be able to handle them all. You certainly don't want to accidentally waste the rare or otherwise hard to get variants. I also went to the trouble of setting up labeled warded & void jars for each essentia (something I would never have done without essentia tubes), but the golems would need a flight upgrade to replace the tubes in my build. Note: I only use this set-up for the infusion altar & have individual set-ups for the essentia needed for fuel (even separate set-ups for ignis & potentia as I use them at very different rates).
1959339_10202328033195546_2088635103_n.jpg

Mana bean farming can reduce the need to deal with superfluous essentia for the occasional caster, but you still have to deal with the types you don't need in bean form, & I'd rather save them for the crucible to avoid dumping flux all over the place.

As for how things actually work by the time the updates are released, I'm willing to wait & see. This is an excellently executed mod & the toys are well worth the hassle it takes to create them.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
And destined to be broken if the essentia tubes get nerfed. The mana bean farm on the floor below feeds into a chest in front of the alchemical furnace, The infusion altar is on the floor above with plenty of room for stabilizing elements (do the obsidian totems count? I've added a few & some small pure nodes just in case). A ring of silverwoods surround the wand recharging pedestal in the yard outside the mana bean farm. I am really pleased with the obsidian & frostbound stone (Railcraft) combo in the architecture. AM2 ores can be turned into some very sexy blocks as well, the vinteum block in particular.

Love the Thaumcraft cheat sheets btw, not sure what's left of my sanity would have survived without them.

Reactions: Succubism

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Stuff like that makes me actually want to update the sheets. I'm just enjoying married life too much.

Yeah, I know about the nerf. It sucks man, as if pipes weren't bad enough. But there's talk amongst the addon makers. Don't worry, this may be saved.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think it is unreasonable to expect people to build set-ups to handle 50+ variations of a resource if you create a mod that provides 50+ variations of a resource. If the necessary variants are tied to an excess of superfluous variants, then you have to be able to handle them all. You certainly don't want to accidentally waste the rare or otherwise hard to get variants. I also went to the trouble of setting up labeled warded & void jars for each essentia (something I would never have done without essentia tubes), but the golems would need a flight upgrade to replace the tubes in my build. Note: I only use this set-up for the infusion altar & have individual set-ups for the essentia needed for fuel (even separate set-ups for ignis & potentia as I use them at very different rates).
1959339_10202328033195546_2088635103_n.jpg

Mana bean farming can reduce the need to deal with superfluous essentia for the occasional caster, but you still have to deal with the types you don't need in bean form, & I'd rather save them for the crucible to avoid dumping flux all over the place.

As for how things actually work by the time the updates are released, I'm willing to wait & see. This is an excellently executed mod & the toys are well worth the hassle it takes to create them.
Ok, that's sexy as all hell. Are those RC Frozen Bricks? Sweet jegus I had no idea how good they looked(if so).

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
I don't do a lot of infusion crafting, so if I have to come up with a new favorite layout, I will. Still, winged golems... On a functional note, with the pipes in a grid like this, essentia will spread between several empty jars, so labeling is necessary. I started with warded jars, then switched them all to void jars, then added the warded jars back in when I saw that some of the add-on recipes might require more than 64 of a single essentia. I've thought about piping the mana beans directly into the alchemical furnace, but the waste of resources trumps the convenience of filling all the jars & keeping them full for me.

Here's an outside view of the structure.
1654323_10202253049641004_2140663551_n.jpg

The tower with the roof just frames my beacon set-up underground. There is a 3rd tower for AM2 on the other side of the thaumcraft tower. The rest of my base is underground, accessible from the elevator platform in the foreground.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I don't do a lot of infusion crafting, so if I have to come up with a new favorite layout, I will. Still, winged golems... On a functional note, with the pipes in a grid like this, essentia will spread between several empty jars, so labeling is necessary. I started with warded jars, then switched them all to void jars, then added the warded jars back in when I saw that some of the add-on recipes might require more than 64 of a single essentia. I've thought about piping the mana beans directly into the alchemical furnace, but the waste of resources trumps the convenience of filling all the jars & keeping them full for me.

Here's an outside view of the structure.
1654323_10202253049641004_2140663551_n.jpg

The tower with the roof just frames my beacon set-up underground. There is a 3rd tower for AM2 on the other side of the thaumcraft tower. The rest of my base is underground, accessible from the elevator platform in the foreground.
Again, what kind of bricks are those? I recognize the Obsidian.
Also what mod do you use for the elevators? Open Blocks?