Azanor presents Thaumcraft 4.1 Research

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
Railcraft's Frostbound stone walls & bricks, with quarried stone brick stairs for the exterior ledges. The roof of the other tower is quarried block & stairs, with AM2 topaz & vinteum block accents. There are some regular clay brick wall panels in the other tower to increase the height of each story instead of adding a 3rd story to make it stand out more. Open blocks elevator with the configs tweaked to let it pass through 80 solid blocks (default is 20 total/4solid, I think). It still takes 2 legs (3 elevator blocks) to get from the base to the top of that redwood, but surface to bedrock is only 1 leg. I've added SGCraft to the pack & wanted the elevators to act more like ring platforms.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
OMG with little landing platforms that hold air essential to recharge them after they have flown so many blocks.... And if they fly too many blocks without recharging they fall and stay till you come pick em up......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It could be called the Icarus upgrade

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
It could be called the Icarus upgrade
Each wing made in the arcane workbench w/ 2 magic tallow, 4 feathers (triangle shape) , some aer & ordo vis, then combined into a pair (should the pair need to be infused w/ more complex essentia? I could live with that). The wings could melt if the golem flies too high or too close to a heat source (unless, of course, you've hit him with a fire resist potion).

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
The poor things would probably get stuck everywhere but I agree the amusement factor would be high on Icarus golems.

Reactions: RedBoss

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
The poor things would probably get stuck everywhere but I agree the amusement factor would be high on Icarus golems.

if such upgrade only adds ability to go straight up from the ground, it should avoid most of the problem with pathing.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
And not be particularly useful or amusing.
while it may not be amusing, although it would definitely make those little buggers even more entertaining to watch, vertical item transport without mirrors would be a worthwhile addition.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
while it may not be amusing, although it would definitely make those little buggers even more entertaining to watch, vertical item transport without mirrors would be a worthwhile addition.
If there basic state was to hover in place then they probably wouldn't fall through the world very much

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
people, PEOPLE, what if... no just wait, just wait and hear me out, what if there were little golem horses, which, now get this, golems can ride...
you could even give the golem a cowboy hat and clothes with a little lasso and everything...
And they can breed animals and also kill them... Farm in one golem ....

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
people, PEOPLE, what if... no just wait, just wait and hear me out, what if there were little golem horses, which, now get this, golems can ride...
you could even give the golem a cowboy hat and clothes with a little lasso and everything...
Can I send them out to rustle up cows and sheep for me?

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Having watched a few 4.1 videos on youtube (since it was just released), I feel that people who found 4.0 "grindy" (and I am admittedly one) should find 4.1 significantly better. Just to start with getting a thaumometer (and thus being able to start the mod at all) is MUCH easier, and should achievable within the first couple hours of a new world most of the time (you only need ANY 1 type of the 6 shards to make one now, instead of all 6) and the research is both less clicky and less common (since you can outright buy about half of the research).

Not only are warded blocks and doors coming back (woo, I never got to try the originals but they look pretty nice) but higher tier magic items are also included. There is runic armor which I still don't understand yet, and magic staffs which hold a much larger amount of Vis then a wand and can be used like a sword in combat also, perfect for long trips away from home. There is even a super staff that uses 1 staff of each of the elemental types plus silverwood to make a superstaff that regenerates all 6 Vis types AND adds a level of Potency to any focus you equip on it. So with that staff you should be able to use most low cost foci all day, without ever having to track down a node to recharge.

Speaking of research, another less grindy bit is that it looks like every note is solvable now, so no more making 5-6 notes just to get a decent node layout. It also shows you in the table what a compound aspect is made up of if you mouse hover over it, which is a LOT of help with the way the new system works (since it's based around those combos). Also since you pick what you research next you can for example, start a new world and make a beeline straight for the Thaumic harness for flight, without having to learn how to make a bunch of other random stuff first. It actually feels like research instead of "random invention I discovered by accident".

The only part that looks more difficult is the essential pipes, to which I note Alchemy golems are basically unchanged AND the new essentia mirrors and ability to label the alembics directly make specialized setups (for automated tasks) actually easier to build, but by consequence the big room o'jars for infusion crafting that much harder unless you use a golem (which is the same and pretty easy).

Lastly. Magic Rocket Launchers. There is a new focus that launches a big magic ball o'explody. Leaves creeper sized holes in the landscape. Don't get to close ;)

Overall, it looks like a big improvement in both mechanics AND content. I think the part I like most is the Thaumometer change. I can't count the number of worlds where I couldn't start TC until WAY into my world because I was missing one of the shard types (usually order or entropy), and thus couldn't scan anything. Won't be a problem next world :D

Redboss and others who felt burnt out on it before, I really recommend a second look.