August News

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
1.12 modded most likely isn't going to be ready till dec or the first of next year some times. There are some 3rd party packs coming out but I believe most of the mods will change allot for the 1.12 version before they are done.

M

Migmag789

I'm very impatient to test the new Horizons modpack for 1.12 ! :D

M

Migmag789

Yes, and I think that's why september news take a lot of time to be published ;)

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
It is more likely there isn't. Much to report and they are super busy dealing with 1.12.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
It's that and that the person that usually compiles it is in the process of a house move so hasn't had time yet this month :)
And the best of luck to them in that endeavour - that's neither a fun nor a stress-free process :confused:

drkravenxin

Jul 29, 2019
Well in reply to the Expert version of what ever pack, I've come to the conclusion it won't happen, and here is my reasoning:

When FTB Beyond was announced, they said expert would come a couple months after normal. Never happened.
Then 1.11 modding started happening, they said it would be in that version. Didn't happen.
Now they are working on a supposedly new flagship pack for 1.12, and if experience serves true they will make normal, promise expert but never deliver.

Now I honestly don't care what reason they give as to why they have failed to follow through on this promise. I am more upset and disappointed in the fact that they promise something and never make good on that promise. I have actually pretty much stopped playing many of the FTB packs, other than Direwolf20's packs simply for the fact I haven't had an issue with DW20.

So what if Infinity Evolved: Expert got a quest book. It is a 1.7.10 pack while incredibly fun, didn't really need it.

I am to the point that if FTB doesn't start keeping their promises on things and quit going back on or changing their word, I'll just wash my hands of them.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
@drkravenxin I think you need a little more patience than that. There is a lot happening right now with the mod development community. The lifespan of the 1.10 and 1.11 has been too short for them to accomplish their goals. What they need in order to get another high quality expert pack like infinity evolved is stability in the mod dev environment. And we really haven't had since 1.7.10. Currently is does look like 1.12 will be the next long term stable environment. But time will tell. So just be patient. Remember they are doing for free and aren't paid for doing this work.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

drkravenxin

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that. I'm a programmer myself though not java. I think my problem is that I wasn't clear.
FTB Beyond was very much a disappointment to me and others as a "kitchen sink pack" that was supposed to have Expert added to that. We expected to have a lot of mods in that due to the fact it was to eventually have Expert mode. Expert never happened so Beyond for those of us looking for an expert pack was a flop and a waste of time.
Then they announced working on 1.11 for expert again it never happened. And I know this is mainly due to mod authors wanting to stay up to date with the current version. But stopping development on a version that was mostly stable because they want to move up to the newest version of MC is in my opinion a jerk move. Stabilize your mod for the version folks are playing the most, keep up support for it till "everyone" moves on to the next major version (ie. 1.12).

There are things that are happening I may not know about or isn't my business. It is life, things happen, but if you promise something and then fail to keep that promise, how are folks going to trust you in the future?

I think the largest issue is the fact there is really very little communication coming from those who claim to be the pack creators and the users. Yes we get the monthly announcements, but that isn't telling us where they are in the pack development. Since I started playing things sponsored by FTB I have seen what looks like a revolving door on official pack creators. Or instead a proper team you leave it up to one person who may or may not know exactly what they are doing or also busy with something else so can't really devote much time to doing what they agreed to do.

I find it a little sad that third party mod pack creators can create a stable pack faster than someone/team from FTB.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Then they announced working on 1.11 for expert again it never happened. And I know this is mainly due to mod authors wanting to stay up to date with the current version. But stopping development on a version that was mostly stable because they want to move up to the newest version of MC is in my opinion a jerk move. Stabilize your mod for the version folks are playing the most, keep up support for it till "everyone" moves on to the next major version (ie. 1.12).
That is not something FTB has control over. Also, considering the mod dev's don't exactly get a lot of money from working on the mods (if any) there isn't much of a reason why working on another version instead of making the current one stable is a jerk move. They may even decide to take their mods offline and you still wouldn't have much of a reason to call it a jerk move unless you gave money or something to the dev. They work hard in their own time to deliver something for free. Try to apriciate that and don't insult their decisions (giving feedback like I don't like X feature because Y,Z,A. Adding B would make it better though. is good. Saying something is a jerk move, doesn't help.)

I find it a little sad that third party mod pack creators can create a stable pack faster than someone/team from FTB.
That happens every time, its actually relatively easy to setup a modpack and upload it for all to see. Making a GOOD modpack is where the problems start. (As a disclaimer, I don't mean that FTB packs are good and all third-party packs are bad. I mostly roll with a custom selection of mods and avoid both FTB and third-party. )

There are things that are happening I may not know about or isn't my business. It is life, things happen, but if you promise something and then fail to keep that promise, how are folks going to trust you in the future?
The guys of FTB are at the mercy of the mod dev's and personal life. Shit happens, shit happens all the time. If they promise something it means they have that planned and are probably also already working on. However that doesn't mean they will be able to complete it. For that reason they don't give estimates on when something will happen. Also, they really like to avoid the word promise probably for the same reason.
upload_2017-9-26_13-56-18.png

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Just because they are moving to 1.12 with modded does mean the work so far is going to be trashed. expert was 1.11 pack and as long as the mods they used update it will not take much to move it to 1.12

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
We do have plans for our next expert mode pack and have been working on them for quite some time. There are custom mods that have been in the works for several months already in order to support that. Due to the continually evolving landscape in terms of mod availability and where we consider the community will settle our plans have had to evolve accordingly. We were expecting some big behind the scenes changes code wise for 1.12 which didn't materialise, meaning that the transition to 1.12 for a lot of mods was (and is) fairly trivial. Beyond may not have been the pack that everyone hoped it would be, this is in part due to just which mods were available at the time. The lack of news does not mean that nothing is being done, it just means that there isn't really that much to report yet. We announced our plans and for reasons I've just explained that timeline has slid a little, this doesn't mean that all those plans are now discarded. It's just taking a little longer than anticipated, that's all.

Rebmes

Jul 29, 2019
Well I for one am grateful that you guys at FTB are taking this course of action. When Beyond came out, I ran a couple servers with different versions of it, and we all didn't like it all that much. It was very unbalanced in a lot of ways, and as stated above, there weren't enough mods available to make it work.

I spent some time on 1.12 "Unstable" and that looked very promising already. I know it might be a year before we have something that's as complete, stable, and awesome as what we had in 1.7, and I'm grateful to the FTB team to keep bringing all our favorite mods together and keeping it all up to date like they have been and are continuing to do.

Reactions: zBob

drkravenxin

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that as pack creators have to depend on the mod authors to actually make a particular mod available and stable. That said I know of a mod/mod author that has a mod they announce would not gain any more updates for a particular minecraft version and that all development was being moved to a new version of minecraft. That is really bad form.

Then of course you have mods that the author has just stopped most likely due to something in their life changing unexpectedly. And most of those have announced that has happened.

So yes I do understand where the pack creator(s) are coming from when they have to wait on mods or mod stability. That said, personally 1.10.2 has been very stable for me. So I honestly don't know why who ever it is behind the expert creation refuses to make it in 1.10.2, but instead move on to one of the newer version of MC which as of now are most likely not stable as far as I know mods are just now starting to really populate in 1.12, though that doesn't mean they are stable.

Also in reply about "promise" I know the actual word wasn't used, but was implied. They implied a promise of making an expert pack, but as of yet nothing. I have a friend who told me the other day that he feels like the expert pack is turning into what happened to a mod that was promised to be ported by the author back in 1.4 to 1.6 and such, but yet it has not happened, and this author has even began being childish when someone asks about it.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
That said I know of a mod/mod author that has a mod they announce would not gain any more updates for a particular minecraft version and that all development was being moved to a new version of minecraft. That is really bad form.
Well, no, that's getting ahead of the curve. If they've looked long term and realised that, if they haven't got all that much time to work on it (people do have lives, after all) then I think its entirely fair. Embers, as an example, is somewhat buggy and incomplete for 1.10, and much more feature-complete in 1.11 - that's just the way it goes. Its not "bad form" - its practicality.

Also in reply about "promise" I know the actual word wasn't used, but was implied.
No, you inferred a promise. The error was on your part, not theirs.

Reactions: Drbretto

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I understand that as pack creators have to depend on the mod authors to actually make a particular mod available and stable. That said I know of a mod/mod author that has a mod they announce would not gain any more updates for a particular minecraft version and that all development was being moved to a new version of minecraft. That is really bad form.

Then of course you have mods that the author has just stopped most likely due to something in their life changing unexpectedly. And most of those have announced that has happened.

So yes I do understand where the pack creator(s) are coming from when they have to wait on mods or mod stability. That said, personally 1.10.2 has been very stable for me. So I honestly don't know why who ever it is behind the expert creation refuses to make it in 1.10.2, but instead move on to one of the newer version of MC which as of now are most likely not stable as far as I know mods are just now starting to really populate in 1.12, though that doesn't mean they are stable.

Also in reply about "promise" I know the actual word wasn't used, but was implied. They implied a promise of making an expert pack, but as of yet nothing. I have a friend who told me the other day that he feels like the expert pack is turning into what happened to a mod that was promised to be ported by the author back in 1.4 to 1.6 and such, but yet it has not happened, and this author has even began being childish when someone asks about it.
I know people still to this day keep over looking this but forge is what pushes to the next version. They stop support for 1.10 forge except for bug fixes and the like. This means all the mods have to move to the next version with forge or that is the line of thinking most take. It has little to do with what FTB wants and they can in no way tell modders or forge what to do. They have no control of that they just have to ride the waves like the rest of us.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Producing a 1.10.x pack at this point just doesn't make sense. A pack that requires the time investment into producing it that an Expert style pack requires isn't justified if you are producing it for a version that no longer has widespread mod support. We want our packs to last more than a couple of weeks and we'd like the opportunity to work with mod developers to get bugs fixed as they are found. As has been mentioned, most mods are now being developed on 1.12.x and backwards support is often limited.