Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
To whom do I speak about volunteering myself as a moderator?

I'd like to have the ability to hide spam threads in the mornings; they appear to be getting progressively more numerous these days.

My qualifications: I'm neato.

At this point, I'd support anyone for additional spam janitor. The forums really need a captcha, or a new one.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah Jaded does. There are 3 of us with anti-spam powers (who aren't admins). I clean up about 60 spam threads a day, so it isn't that we need more people, we need a preventative system.
In the absence of a better system, better coverage can't hurt. There are windows where none of the anti-spammers appear to be regularly active.

That said: I do wish there was a better preventative system in place. I can't help but think that simply disallowing new posters from posting links would help somewhat and be reasonably easy to implement.

Reactions: rhn

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
In the absence of a better system, better coverage can't hurt. There are windows where none of the anti-spammers appear to be regularly active.

That said: I do wish there was a better preventative system in place. I can't help but think that simply disallowing new posters from posting links would help somewhat and be reasonably easy to implement.
I seem to be the most active. At least I think I am. The only period when spam appears is from 4am to 10pm GMT (mostly, occasionally there are a few random ones outside that time period) and I go to sleep right in the middle of that window, so I clean up a LOT of it when I get on the forums in the morning (notice we are spam free at the moment).

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012

I'd like to have the ability to hide spam threads in the mornings; they appear to be getting progressively more numerous these days.

Anyone wanna guess the first rule to becoming a moderator for something?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Being online a lot? Or is it being able to put up with a lot of shit on the forums?
Those are all important qualities, but there's a single, major, unspoken rule to becoming a moderator.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I'm guessing you're going to say "Not asking to become one", but he/she volunteered to take care of spam, not exactly the most glamourous job ever.
This is it. The proper course of action would be to point out the problem, even ping the admins like you did, and suggest appointing more moderators as a solution. Volunteering without being asked is, in by far the majority of cases, a big red flag for the people giving out power.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Anyone wanna guess the first rule to becoming a moderator for something?
I already know the first rule. Be me or as close to that as you can get. Special venues will benefit from my help. Others won't qualify.

If my assistance isn't needed at this time, forget I mentioned it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This is it. The proper course of action would be to point out the problem, even ping the admins like you did, and suggest appointing more moderators as a solution. Volunteering without being asked is, in by far the majority of cases, a big red flag for the people giving out power.
Power is boring. Forget I asked. If there's a precedent here for people volunteering their assistance for the wrong reason, I have little interest in joining those ranks.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
There is a saying which I like which seems somewhat appropriate: "absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
There is a saying which I like which seems somewhat appropriate: "absolute power corrupts absolutely."
I'm also fond of "Those who want power probably shouldn't have it, those who enjoy it probably do so for the wrong reasons, and those who want most to hold on to it don't understand that it's only temporary.”

Reactions: DrowElf

Glassbook

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using ftb infinity 1.10
1. Does the flux omniwrench work 100% of the time with all machines(mostly ic2)?
2. Does the electric wrench still have cheap mode and lossless mode? Or is it just lossless?
3. If both are lossless(or the ele-wrench in lossless mode), which is better in terms of power and ease of use?
Thanks

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

Forum moderation stuff? Me.

And you now have access to the spam button, it will hide post you mark spam so a mod can take a look.